Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:34:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Age of Conan  |  Topic: UPDATE: Rise of the Godslayer for $9.90 at GoGamer.com 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: UPDATE: Rise of the Godslayer for $9.90 at GoGamer.com  (Read 21861 times)
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

on: November 01, 2010, 03:07:24 PM

« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 10:30:11 PM by Stormwaltz »

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 05:14:57 PM

Famine
Developers

Funcom

Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 11:53:27 AM

You should see the signed rare copies. I have a few under my desk and I believe there was only a few thousand of them made.

Glen 'Famine' Swan
Senior Assistant Community Manager
Funcom Inc.
Chinchilla
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 04:02:54 PM

I just got an email offer of getting AoC & the expansion for free if I sign up for 3 months of gaming.  It doesn't seem too bad to be honest.  I think I am going to do it so I can try it out.

Chinchila - LaRoche Server, APB
Drahcir - 50 Captain/GM Weaponsmith, LoTRO Silverlode (Retired)
St Drahcir - 7xMage, UO Chesapeake (Retired)
Chinchilla Dakilla - Barbarian R50, Shadowbane (Retired)
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 08:07:54 PM

I just got an email offer of getting AoC & the expansion for free if I sign up for 3 months of gaming.  It doesn't seem too bad to be honest.  I think I am going to do it so I can try it out.

Don't do it, the game is dead and the expansion is some grindastically rough shit unless you have a dedicated group of 5 other talented players who are willing to carry you along, the last 6 guilds I've been in have faded away and most people who are left are either assholes or angry about the game dying.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Chinchilla
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 11:20:53 PM

Don't do it, the game is dead and the expansion is some grindastically rough shit unless you have a dedicated group of 5 other talented players who are willing to carry you along, the last 6 guilds I've been in have faded away and most people who are left are either assholes or angry about the game dying.

Seriously that bad?  I see ppl running all around in Tortage.  Does the world all of a suddent completely change after you leave that area?

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010, 06:20:28 AM

You've not been following any of the discussion on this game, have you?

The game COMPLETELY changes after Tortage.  It become standard MMO fare with pretty graphics and boobies.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: December 02, 2010, 09:55:19 AM

Does the world all of a suddent completely change after you leave that area?

Yes
Chinchilla
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: December 03, 2010, 08:58:57 AM

You've not been following any of the discussion on this game, have you?

The game COMPLETELY changes after Tortage.  It become standard MMO fare with pretty graphics and boobies.

Honestly no I haven't. I never played or was interested in AoC when it came out. I just decided to download it recently to give it a go. I was looking for a game with something a little more linear and more quests and such. Tortage was great for this but if this goes totally different after tortage then that is a problem.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #9 on: December 03, 2010, 09:56:19 AM

I have to keep reminding myself what AoC turns into. I really, really liked it. In Tortage and for a very short time after.

I do like pretty graphics and boobies, though.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: December 03, 2010, 11:43:03 AM

I'd always hang around Tortage until I was dressed in full Pictish gear with their axes.  Rawr.

Chinchilla
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: December 03, 2010, 09:16:30 PM

I couldnt' finish my previous post because I was at work and in the middle of getting ready for an audit (plus was posting using my phone).  I just decided to get AoC and try it because I was in the mood for something that had a little more linear story to it.  I am playing Darkfall as well, but there you basically do as you wish and there is no real story to follow.  I just wanted a story and something to lead me along, but still allow me enough room to break away.  AoC seemed like that and I was really really liking how they made the Necromancer.  It is a pretty big let down to hear though that the game turns from Tortage into _________ (anyone make any comparisons to give me an idea?).  Does the game just turn into like a big Shadowbane style thing where its totally open-ended / sandbox type, but its unbalanced and just a mess? 

I may just pick up WAR again and give it a look.  At least that game had a story that continues and PvP and other things to it. 

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: December 04, 2010, 05:50:51 AM

A Sandbox would be an improvement.  No, it turns into standard DIKU.  WoW, EQ, LotR, el. al.  "Go here.  Kill this.  Fetch that.  Talk to Bob."

It has some really pretty vistas, a couple of the dungeons are incredible, but it gets old very, very fast.  Faster than those other games for some reason.  It has something to do with the pacing, but it's such that it's almost universal.

Chinchilla
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: December 04, 2010, 07:22:11 AM

A Sandbox would be an improvement.  No, it turns into standard DIKU.  WoW, EQ, LotR, el. al.  "Go here.  Kill this.  Fetch that.  Talk to Bob."

It has some really pretty vistas, a couple of the dungeons are incredible, but it gets old very, very fast.  Faster than those other games for some reason.  It has something to do with the pacing, but it's such that it's almost universal.

Awwww crap!  So no more of the fun quests like I had seen in Tortage?  I loved those little cutscene type things they had in Tortage when you speak to people and other stuff.  Or that whole other story type single player mode with Mithrelle and such.  Damn man that sucks!  So it seems the only game with the story type things like that is LOTRO (the Book quests).  I sooo don't want to go back to that game unless I have my old Captain on my lifetime account back (damn ex-wife).

I was really enjoying the motion capture scenes and the story driven part.  So it sounds like the only other "single player" motion capture type things is level 30 and a level 50.  Lame :(.

Is the PvP Queue Instances zone type things at least enjoyable?  I know in WAR it was fun to sign up for those type of Capture the Flag or hold XYZ area type quests.  I always enjoyed those.  I loved my little Squip too.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 09:09:06 AM by Chinchilla »

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: December 04, 2010, 10:49:09 AM

I never PvPed, so I can't say from personal experience.  Dungeons seemed to have an overall positive review.  I know the first one in Aquillonia has a really cool design.  My Dark Templar wanted to claim it as home.

SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: December 04, 2010, 11:12:49 AM

The Tortage experience is, for me, easily the best of any MMO I've ever played.  It's worth a box price to play all the classes through Tortage by itself, which would be about 70-80 hrs worth of content if you picked one of each of the base classes (DT for the tank, ToS for the healer, Ranger for the Rogue, and Demo for the last casting class).  There's a strange disconnect that happens after Tortage, though, that may stem from the fact that the voice over stops.  Which seems like it wouldn't be a big deal, but it's really colored my perceived enjoyment in other MMOs.  I don't know if it is as Lan said (the pacing feels weird) or what. 

But Tortage is awesome.
Chinchilla
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: December 04, 2010, 09:04:40 PM

I honestly really really dislike the fact that the voice over and motion captures stop after Tortage.  I don't expect every NPC to have voice overs, but at least have a fairly good amount.  Otherwise what is the point of all the voice overs and motion capture they put money into in the beginning of the game just to have them all STOP.

SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: December 04, 2010, 09:20:31 PM

Otherwise what is the point of all the voice overs and motion capture they put money into in the beginning of the game just to have them all STOP.

Because money and time is what they ran out of in the development process.
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: December 05, 2010, 09:22:37 AM

For me what was jarring was that there were so many characters in Tortage, so many different agendas, it felt like a live city.  Then you leave and go to places that are bigger, and they feel dead.  Maybe the voice acting was a large part of that, I'm not sure.
Chinchilla
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: December 05, 2010, 12:09:15 PM

That's what hooked me was the live city feel. It is awesome. Then after reading here and posting I come to find out that it ends. It just becomes a normal old MMO where u walk around a city with NPC's with !! And they don't talk or interact. Blah been there and done that.

Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #20 on: December 27, 2010, 09:56:00 AM

MY major gripe with the game is actually a mechanics one. The drastic change in the game I can handle after Tortage, but the addition of more "swing keys" made the game feel overly complicated when it didnt need it. Up to level 40 (or 50) it was fine with the 3 swing keys, left, center, right. But when they add the two more (lower left, lower right) it just becomes a chore of playing DDR on your hotkeys. I really dont need 5 swing keys.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: December 27, 2010, 10:25:47 AM

They capped it to three swings a looooong time ago.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #22 on: December 28, 2010, 01:33:09 PM

That's still too many to make PvP fun. 
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #23 on: December 28, 2010, 03:39:58 PM

Buttons, not swings.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: December 28, 2010, 04:23:07 PM

Buttons.  Whatever it's called.  You don't have five keypresses for any attack.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: December 29, 2010, 07:25:57 AM

Technically it's 4 because you have to activate the combo.  I would of preferred a system that automatically executed a combo after a specific attack pattern like Vindictus or something.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Age of Conan  |  Topic: UPDATE: Rise of the Godslayer for $9.90 at GoGamer.com  
Jump to: