Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 13, 2024, 06:43:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Anime recommendations 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 59 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Anime recommendations  (Read 657051 times)
fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #945 on: March 11, 2009, 05:17:07 PM

It doesn't even have to be sexualized. Any use of anything, a character or otherwise, in a place where there's absolutely no reason for it to be and exists only for fans - for example, putting any actual FF characters in Kingdom Hearts.

Think any of the "holiday" specials.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #946 on: March 12, 2009, 06:19:18 PM

Extended (repeated) Mecha launch and transformation sequences are another example.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #947 on: March 12, 2009, 09:24:33 PM

Almost the entirety of Lucky Star?  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Also, I'd second Welcome to the NHK for Stray - it's great.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #948 on: March 12, 2009, 09:39:03 PM

Heh... OK.. umm... These guys are even more pathetic than Onizuka.  Some of it is funny though, but I'm almost offended that this recommended to me.   Facepalm cheesy
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 06:17:03 PM by Stray »
Vash
Terracotta Army

Reply #949 on: March 13, 2009, 09:16:26 AM

I find that if I see a dub version of a show first and I like the show, voice acting, or both then watching the same show subbed is not nearly as enjoyable and often can be irritating/painful if the voices are drastically different.  For some reason I find hearing characters with a different voice after one has already been established that you identify the character with to be unsettling and unnerving.

However, going from a good dub to a subbed version usually just means trying to cope with different voices than your used to, whereas there are typically a lot more shows with great Japanese voice acting that get brutally mauled by terrible English dubs.  Based on some recent dubs I've looked at this doesn't seem to be changing anytime soon.  Heartbreak

Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #950 on: March 13, 2009, 09:18:54 AM

I'm just going further extend on that and just say I like dubs period.

You are dead to me.

But seriously, that'll cut your selection way short.  Dubs are harder to find and take much longer to get.  Plus, good dubs are even harder to find.

I couldn't watch dubs ever since I watched Akira Dubbed and Subbed at once.  

I'm sure you hear the arguments plenty though.  It's like wearing an "I'm Atheist" shirt in the bible belt.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #951 on: March 13, 2009, 10:20:48 AM

There are some great American voice actors.  Unfortunately, the anime companies don't use many of them.  I won't watch dubs because it's guaranteed one or more characters are voiced by people who shouldn't be in the business.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Xuri
Terracotta Army

몇살이세욬ㅋ 몇살이 몇살 몇살이세욬ㅋ!!!!!1!

Reply #952 on: March 13, 2009, 10:43:10 AM

I really can't understand how ANYONE would enjoy dubbed tv-series/movies/cartoons/anime. I find it very painful and will go to extreme lengths to avoid dubbing.

-= Ho Eyo He Hum =-
Vash
Terracotta Army

Reply #953 on: March 13, 2009, 11:24:51 AM

I really can't understand how ANYONE would enjoy dubbed tv-series/movies/cartoons/anime. I find it very painful and will go to extreme lengths to avoid dubbing.

Well, many people (myself included, thank you Cartoon Network) are originally exposed to anime or other foreign media via dubs and if the voice acting isn't terrible are none the wiser.  If they enjoy it enough to seek more out they eventually find their way to subbed stuff and then can make their own decision about which version they like better for a particular show.

I don't have a strong preference one way or the other in general and I think my lack of anti-dub rage can be placed on the fact that some of my favorite all time anime have really well done dubs (Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, FLCL).  I think I may actually just be biased towards whichever version I see first, something I've seen subbed first would have to actually get a dub that isn't terrible though before I would know for sure.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #954 on: March 13, 2009, 12:53:10 PM

I'm just going further extend on that and just say I like dubs period.

You are dead to me.

But seriously, that'll cut your selection way short.

I've seen an asston of anime at this point, and most have been subs actually. I'm just saying... if there's a dub, then I will still make that my first choice. The way I see it, cartoons are dubbed anyways. Japanese or not!

There are some things that can be lost, inside jokes, wordplay, etc.. Sometimes... But there's nothing superior about Japanese voice actors necessarily. It comes down to the English speaking studio simply taking it seriously and trying to hire good actors. Just like any production. For instance, all of the Ghibli stuff was picked up by Disney. So for the most part, they got good actors. In Bebop and Onizuka's case, it's the same dude who voices both of them. As far as I'm concerned, he's funnier than the original. There's just something about that guy's voice that cracks me up.
Jain Zar
Terracotta Army

Reply #955 on: March 13, 2009, 05:54:42 PM

The same reason I would rather read my comics left right right perhaps?

My native tongue and what I am naturally used to works better than reading backwards or moonspeak.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #956 on: March 13, 2009, 06:16:21 PM

I think I may actually just be biased towards whichever version I see first
This. Nowadays I watch subs almost exclusively, but anything I watched when I was younger was dubbed, and thus I prefer that. GTO's probably the only exception; there's a minor character who's english voice acting is probably wholly responsible to me starting to watch subs in the first place.

Strazos

Reply #957 on: March 13, 2009, 07:22:57 PM

I think one problem is that in Japan, they have a larger selection of VAs/Seiyu across a larger age range, whereas in the US the selection is much more narrow, and the "better" VAs skew towards the older end of the spectrum.

What this means is that sometimes a dub will annoy me not because the voice acting is neccessarily bad, but because in English the voice sounds too old for the character. The English dub of Haruhi is a recent example, at least for me; the person doing her voice in English just sounds way too old for the character at times.

However, I thought the dub for Full Metal Panic was great - watched the first 2 seasons in English, and Second Raid in Japanese.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #958 on: March 13, 2009, 07:52:33 PM

What's funny is that I notice the voice of Naruto is both done by older women. Although the American version is awful (on a sidenote, the guy who does English version of Orichimaru is the same guy who does Spike and Onizuka as well... He pulls it off nicely. That guy is everywhere. Does the voices for Wolv in the new Marvel Vs. movies too. And Mugen in Champloo).
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

Reply #959 on: March 13, 2009, 08:38:13 PM

I tend to notice a difference, but to each their own really.  My main concern comes when the dubbers try to match dialogue to mouth movement, which is probably the worst offense.   Also, with female voice actors, I hate how the English VAs go shrill to be loud.  Black Lagoon is an example.  The Japanese speaking Revy sounds dangerous, the English speaking Revy just sounds like a bitch. 

Though I have to admit, there are some good dubs out there.  I really enjoy Cowboy Bebop dubbed as well as Big O.  I actually haven't watched all of Trigun to make a distinction.

However, Witch Hunter Robin I thought was much better subbed.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #960 on: March 13, 2009, 11:22:03 PM

hah, yet again. it's the same voice actor in the Big O too (playing Roger Smith). there might be something to it than just his voice though.. from what i understand, he helps write some of the shows he works on. perhaps he knows japanese and bring more to the work than others can. [edit] if you look at his credits, it's actually pretty astounding.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 11:30:57 PM by Stray »
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

Reply #961 on: March 14, 2009, 12:48:37 AM

From what I understand, voice acting is a rather incestous industry.  Kinda like MMO devs.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #962 on: March 14, 2009, 01:00:36 AM

Perhaps, but he's quite pervasive in so many things we're familiar with, games included.
Strazos

Reply #963 on: March 14, 2009, 07:57:21 AM

Yuri Lowenthal has some decent credits. I really liked his work on the Persona games.

Crispin Freeman has done some nice work as well.

And when I was talking about Haruhi earlier, I was referring to Wendee Lee. See, I thought she was great in Cowboy Bebop as Faye, but as Haruhi...I dunno, her voice just sounded too old a lot of time.

But yes, especially in the US, the VA industry can be pretty incestuous, especially in anime dubbing - there's really only a handful of good VAs to select from.

Fear the Backstab!
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #964 on: March 14, 2009, 08:11:30 AM

Which is why it would be nice if they drew from the rest of the cartoon/voice over industry.  A lot of the anime voice actors were fans who got lucky, or friends and family of people who worked in it, and their level of training shows.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #965 on: March 14, 2009, 09:02:52 AM

Hell sign me up. I'd do that for the rest of my life if I could.  smiley
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #966 on: March 14, 2009, 06:17:57 PM

Heh... OK.. umm... These guys are even more pathetic than Onizuka.  Some of it is funny though, but I'm almost offended that this was recommended to me.   Facepalm cheesy
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #967 on: March 14, 2009, 09:12:15 PM

Heh... OK.. umm... These guys are even more pathetic than Onizuka.  Some of it is funny though, but I'm almost offended that this was recommended to me.   Facepalm cheesy
Just wait 'til you get to the episode where he starts playing FFXI. If you're not sold by then, give up.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #968 on: March 14, 2009, 09:53:15 PM

Oh, it's funny enough to stick through, I guess. I had to look up terminology though. And just so everyone knows, I am not an "otaku". Hah.

[edit] Anyone seen Beck?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 10:07:27 PM by Stray »
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

Reply #969 on: March 14, 2009, 10:47:59 PM

Mongolian Chop Squad?  Excellent series.

Strazos

Reply #970 on: March 15, 2009, 01:12:05 AM

I only recommended it because I thought it was funny, not because I think you're an Otaku or shut-in or something.

Fear the Backstab!
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #971 on: March 15, 2009, 01:28:10 AM

It's actually getting less funny as it goes on, and more emotional. The Final Fantasy thing wasn't funny at all! Now his old schoolmate is caught in a pyramid scheme too.. this part is sad. But it's pretty cool that there's an anime about shit like this. I really don't mind the recommendation.. just fucking around there. :)
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

Reply #972 on: March 15, 2009, 02:15:06 AM

I am fully convinced they can make an anime about anything at all ever since I watched this anime about a guy who saw germs as some kind of cartoonish representation, and could identify shit like a batch of beer spoiling by the fuckers floating in the air.  And it was entertaining and interesting too.  Blew my mind.

Fake edit: Moyashimon is the name, I had to look it up.

Now if only I could find some kind of math geek anime about calculus, I have a teacher I would like to show it to.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #973 on: March 15, 2009, 08:09:30 AM

Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #974 on: March 15, 2009, 08:16:46 AM

Moyashimon was indeed pretty cracked-out, but it felt unremarkable. I think I watched like half of it and I don't recall an actual plot developing anywhere, although the various "adventures with germs" were amusing.

As for sub/dub, I almost exclusively watch subs because I almost exclusively watch stuff shortly after it airs. I've got a couple of old friends who are deep into anime, and they alert me to the upcoming-show lists when new seasons are starting, so I can sample a series or two and pick up on anything interesting. Dubs, or even commercial subs, are usually out months if not years after a series airs.

Hell, some of the best stuff never even comes over. See: Bartender.
Strazos

Reply #975 on: March 15, 2009, 08:34:59 AM

YES, Bartender!  awesome, for real

There's also REC, an anime about a girl trying to get into the VA business.

Fear the Backstab!
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #976 on: March 15, 2009, 08:42:54 AM

Bartender is one of the few animes I've been able to get friends who hate anime on the grounds that 'it's stupid cartoons' to sit through and actually want to watch more of. It is fucking awesome over-the-topness.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #977 on: March 15, 2009, 08:46:24 AM

Speaking of new seasons, Spring 09 starts soon and there are already a couple previews up around the web. FMA and DBZ are both getting remakes; I'll probably have to watch both and be impressed with neither. The show I'm most looking forward to is Natsu no Arashi! but mostly because it's created by the same guy who made School Rumble.

Strazos

Reply #978 on: March 15, 2009, 08:47:07 AM

Full Metal Alchemist....remake? Why?

Fear the Backstab!
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #979 on: March 15, 2009, 08:51:35 AM

Bartender also has the narrator with the world's most soothing voice.

I thought the new FMA coming out was another season? (Somehow. I don't know how they'd weave it into the plot.) I hardly see the necessity of remaking a series less than 5 years old.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 59 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Anime recommendations  
Jump to: