Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 31, 2024, 11:48:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Anime recommendations 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 59 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Anime recommendations  (Read 654731 times)
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #490 on: June 11, 2007, 11:31:50 AM

New avatar due to the awesomeness of ep11 of Gurren-Lagann.  cool
Nanoha StrikerS: Looks like they heard me. :D

Slightly off-beat recommendation of the season: Lovely Complex. If you liked KareKano and others of that ilk, you'll want to give this one a watch.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #491 on: June 11, 2007, 12:46:46 PM

I'm only up to ep6 of TTGL. I need to watch more of it. The quality has been maintained, although the flashback ep was irritating. Stupid budget-savers. They better blow all the money they saved by running flashbacks on an awesome battle sequence.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #492 on: June 11, 2007, 01:02:39 PM

Just keep watching.  NDA

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Yoru

Reply #493 on: June 12, 2007, 09:59:27 AM

Just keep watching.  NDA

I dunno. Just watched ep 8. I fear shark-jumping due to NDA.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #494 on: June 12, 2007, 11:43:06 AM

Halfway through Ghost Hunt, next up is Code Geass, been awhile since I've watched anything doing some catching up.  Have put down everything mentioned since pg12 on my "check out first four eps" list. 

I watched the first two eps of TTGL, they had me at Yoko + giant robots.  I'm easy like that.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #495 on: June 12, 2007, 02:00:00 PM

The last thing we finished was Magic Knights Rayearth season two. Which, much like the first season, was obviously made for six years olds until the angsty final episodes. I think they wrote the script for each episode, realized it only came up to about five minutes air time, and had each of the three girls repeat every line, slowly, one at a time.

Hikaru: "Shut..?"

Umi: "The fuck..?"

Fuu: "Up..?"

We're now through 4/6 discs of Planetes, which may be the best SF anime I've ever seen. It's incredibly rich. There's a lot of science in it, and it's all hard. There's side ruminations on the social effects of space development - third world countries trying to get a hand in the pie as they fall farther and farther behind. But in the end the stories all hinge on the characters - how space motivates and changes them. Whether that's the cynical garbage hauler who dreams of a better life, but doesn't believe he can achieve it, or the pack of oddballs who play at being ninjas in the 1/6th G of the moon.

More thoughts when we're done. I'm too emotionally wrapped up in it now. Hell, my wife even loves Planetes. And SF normally bores her to tears.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Sairon
Terracotta Army

Reply #496 on: June 13, 2007, 12:08:51 PM

PlanetES is superb, I recall loving it when I was in high school.
JoeTF
Terracotta Army

Reply #497 on: June 14, 2007, 06:07:20 AM

PlanetES shows us how SF should be done. I mean, who would have though show about space garbage collectors would be so damn awesome?
Pity there are only 4 volumes of manga.

Darker than Black win an award for best execution in last decade - I cannot recall a single show with comparable music, backgrounds and animation quality. Also, try watching more than one episiode. It is awesome.
Yoru

Reply #498 on: June 14, 2007, 10:36:36 AM

I'm retracting my recommendation for TTGL after ep 8. Instead of going beyond the impossible and kicking reason to the curb, it looks like it's turning into a generic Monster Of The Week love-triangle mecha anime with a Sad Young Boy protagonist.

I should not need to reinvoke the Three Episode Test halfway through a series, but...
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #499 on: June 14, 2007, 10:47:22 AM

Stick with it.  smiley

Yoru

Reply #500 on: June 14, 2007, 11:24:09 AM

Stick with it.  smiley

I watched 11 this morning. I'm reinvoking the Three Episode Test. They have episodes 12, 13 and 14 to return to being tremendously badass.  angry

Also, I loathe the new character.
schild
Administrator

Reply #501 on: June 14, 2007, 12:33:00 PM

The only anime this season that I made it past 3 episodes on was Lucky Star. Whoever is writing that show is fantastic. And the comedic timing is brilliant.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #502 on: June 14, 2007, 12:57:51 PM

I prefer a 4 ep test, as many shows are only finishing their cast introduction and starting the story in ep3.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Yoru

Reply #503 on: June 14, 2007, 01:09:29 PM

The only anime this season that I made it past 3 episodes on was Lucky Star. Whoever is writing that show is fantastic. And the comedic timing is brilliant.

Dude, Lucky Star didn't even pass the Three Minute Test, let alone the Three Episode Test.
schild
Administrator

Reply #504 on: June 14, 2007, 01:33:01 PM

Dude, Lucky Star didn't even pass the Three Minute Test, let alone the Three Episode Test.
That's ok. You're wrong. But it's ok. Lucky Star is this years Higurashi (in terms of going from sleeper to HUGE FUCKING FANBASE, int he matter of a few episodes).
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #505 on: June 14, 2007, 03:37:25 PM

Are you sure it's not the new Haruhi?

But yeah, Lucky Star is fucking awesome.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Yoru

Reply #506 on: June 14, 2007, 03:39:54 PM

I'm sorry, dude, but "Go beyond the impossible and kick reason to the curb! YOURS IS THE DRILL THAT WILL PIERCE THE HEAVENS!" followed by a flashy action sequence is way more entertaining for me than a 7-minute discussion on the proper way to eat a dessert.
schild
Administrator

Reply #507 on: June 14, 2007, 03:55:22 PM

I'm sorry, dude, but "Go beyond the impossible and kick reason to the curb! YOURS IS THE DRILL THAT WILL PIERCE THE HEAVENS!" followed by a flashy action sequence is way more entertaining for me than a 7-minute discussion on the proper way to eat a dessert.

It's not my fault you've only seen the first conversation of the first episode of Lucky Star.

Edit: In 5 years, everyone will remember Konata. She's probably one of the best characters ever conceived for an anime/manga.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #508 on: June 14, 2007, 04:15:02 PM

Stick with it.  smiley

I watched 11 this morning. I'm reinvoking the Three Episode Test. They have episodes 12, 13 and 14 to return to being tremendously badass.  angry

Also, I loathe the new character.

Your words confuse Nia:

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #509 on: June 15, 2007, 09:02:52 AM

It's not my fault you've only seen the first conversation of the first episode of Lucky Star.

Edit: In 5 years, everyone will remember Konata. She's probably one of the best characters ever conceived for an anime/manga.
We get it, you liked Tampopo. That movie's like 23 years old now.

As for Lucky Star, I refuse to watch it. I watched like 4 episodes of Haruhi, it fucking sucked, I'm not being burned again like I was with Excel Saga/Azumanga/what-the-fuck-ever-shitty-comedy-series-for-Japanophiles-is-hot-this-week.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 09:04:32 AM by Fabricated »

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
schild
Administrator

Reply #510 on: June 15, 2007, 09:13:22 AM

You were burned with Azumanga Daioh? Are you sure you weren't watching Ghost in the Shell?
Sairon
Terracotta Army

Reply #511 on: June 15, 2007, 09:17:59 AM

Just watched the 11 available Claymore episodes in one sitting, seems like this is going to become a real gem. It's a pretty gory and dark fantasy anime, giving me some of the same vibes that berserk gives. It seems pretty meh at the beginning, but after watching the 11 episodes available it seems like it's going to become on of the best anime series ever.
schild
Administrator

Reply #512 on: June 15, 2007, 09:25:10 AM

It seems pretty meh at the beginning

disqualifies it from

going to become on of the best anime series ever.
Sairon
Terracotta Army

Reply #513 on: June 15, 2007, 09:38:56 AM

There has been slow starters in the past. Or are you applying "if the MMO is not good within the first couple of minutes of play the rest of it is piss as well" to animes as well?  tongue
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #514 on: June 15, 2007, 10:16:12 AM

You were burned with Azumanga Daioh? Are you sure you weren't watching Ghost in the Shell?

I dont know what he's talking about when it comes to Haruhi because I thought it was awesome and the funny was very accessible to any audience eastern or western.  But fuck AzuD, it sucked.  In fact I believe it was a similar vintage of suck as School Rumble.  A bunch of language pun/jokes that aren't funny if you have to read two sentences of editor notes to get the joke and some stupid sd humour that sucked nuts.  I'll admit I couldn't make it through 3 complete episodes, I think I skipped the 2nd half of ep2 and then fell asleep during ep3.  Literally.

-William Gibson
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #515 on: June 15, 2007, 10:36:12 AM

I wasn't expected to laugh at Ghost in the Shell.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #516 on: June 15, 2007, 01:28:17 PM

Is it so wrong that I liked Azumanga Daioh and Ghost in the Shell (show, not movies)?

Everyone I've shown Az D has loved it, whether they are anime fans or not.

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
schild
Administrator

Reply #517 on: June 15, 2007, 01:45:02 PM

Yup.
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #518 on: June 15, 2007, 05:13:11 PM

Yup.

And I will say this - regardless of how hard a man you consider yourself to be, if you do not have to repress the insane urge to jump around giggling and squealing when you see Chiyo waddling around in a penguin costume, YOU ARE A ROBOT AND NOT A REAL PERSON.

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
Strazos

Reply #519 on: June 15, 2007, 09:56:28 PM

Eh, I like Az D, Haruhi, Lucky Star, School Rumble (it doesn't really take That much effort to "get" the jokes)....

/shrug

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #520 on: June 15, 2007, 10:40:40 PM

Yup.

And I will say this - regardless of how hard a man you consider yourself to be, if you do not have to repress the insane urge to jump around giggling and squealing when you see Chiyo waddling around in a penguin costume, YOU ARE A ROBOT AND NOT A REAL PERSON.
Or maybe it just means your not a pedophile?  Seriously though, I agree with them.  The show sucked balls.  One of my roommates really liked it and tried to get all the rest of us and everybody else he knew to watch it.  Every single person he showed it to hated it.  It kind of became  a running joke over the years actually.  Its standard unoriginal japancrap.  (note, not attacking anybody for liking it, I just think it was bad bad bad).

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Strazos

Reply #521 on: June 15, 2007, 10:51:16 PM

I don't think I ever got up, jumped around, and giggled and screamed....

But Chiyo as a penguin is damn funny and cute. Especially when she can't eat food. Or gets pushed over.

Fear the Backstab!
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #522 on: June 16, 2007, 06:44:09 PM

What we found consistently amusing about Azumanga was not the cultural references, but the character humor. Sakaki befuddled by her reputation as "the cool girl" among humans and "delicious" among cats. Yukari's driving. The creepy male teacher. Resentment of Chiyo. Tomo being a fucking spaz (particularly the incident where the threw away the keys, and when they found them again, everyone tackled her to keep her from doing it again).

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
JoeTF
Terracotta Army

Reply #523 on: June 17, 2007, 07:31:42 AM

Just watched the 11 available Claymore episodes in one sitting, seems like this is going to become a real gem. It's a pretty gory and dark fantasy anime, giving me some of the same vibes that berserk gives. It seems pretty meh at the beginning, but after watching the 11 episodes available it seems like it's going to become on of the best anime series ever.

Claymore is only good if you have't read the Witcher before.
Because if you did, you realize claymore is just a very, very, *very* bad ripoff. I mean, color-changing eyes and white hairs mutated-during-childhood monster hunters- that's a fucking lawsuit material!   
Sairon
Terracotta Army

Reply #524 on: June 17, 2007, 12:51:28 PM

First of all, I don't read manga, I'm to shallow for that. And yea, it's not very original, it's just another power up excuse. What's good about claymore though is the gory and harsher setting. They don't try to romanticize and try to teach me morals. It's entertaining in pretty much the same way as berserk. The story takes twists and turns.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 59 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Anime recommendations  
Jump to: