Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2018, 04:47:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
Donate! | Shop: Amazon
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Anime recommendations 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Anime recommendations  (Read 300030 times)
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1995 on: June 28, 2018, 03:55:28 PM

I'm waiting for Steins;Gate 0 to be finished before I take the journey. There were some heartwrenching moments in the original that would have been awful if I'd had to wait a week or more to stew on.

Check out my podcast: ADD&D, Attention Deficit Dungeons & Dragons!
"I think it's time for a dose of F13 RED PILL MOTHER FUCKERS" ~cosapi
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1996 on: July 09, 2018, 08:19:13 AM

FLCL Season 2 ended last night. It was alright. Nowhere near the quality of the original in terms of character depth, emotional impact, etc. but if you're a fan of the original it's probably worth watching. If you've never watched the original (BLASPHEMY!) this one isn't worth watching on it's own.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

http://tinyurl.com/d89qk7g

Reply #1997 on: July 09, 2018, 09:33:12 AM

Ok, honest question here.  How did you find any character depth or emotional impact from FLCL?  I mean, it was strangely amusing, but it was (IMO) just a lot of strange Japanese jibberish humor beautifully put onto screen.  I understand a lot of Anime out there is very much not for me, as I really didn't get the hype for this one either.  But still, like, it seemed like a shallow comedy action with little real depth or character development (and there is nothing wrong with that, plenty of good Anime follow that).

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1998 on: July 09, 2018, 01:57:52 PM

I'm honestly not sure where to begin. I'll start with Mamimi, who is probably the most complex character in the show: a partially homeless pyromaniac dropout with emotional transference issues. Pre-show, she was dating Tasuku, Naota's older brother who we never really see onscreen; when her elementary school burned down, Tasuku saved her from the fire and she fell in love. While dating, her nickname for him was Ta-kun/Takkun; he moves to America and finds a new girlfriend in episode 1, causing Mamimi to transfer the Takkun name along with her affections to Naota. After she and Naota have a falling out in episode 5, she transfers the Takkun mantle to the terminal core robot dog in episode 6. There's also a Takkun cat in there for a little while. Furthermore, her pyromania stems from her gaming habits, her inability to tell reality from fiction, and most strongly from her childhood memory of fire, love and salvation.

Then there's Ninamori, the class rep and apparent goodie goodie who actually cheated to ensure that the school play cast her and Naota opposite one another, a behavior that mimics her father's status as a corrupt politician. Commander Amarao is shown to be very similar to Naota, having encountered Haruko in the past and also fallen in love with her. As a single man* he appears to have never gotten over Haruko and comes off as creepy to Kitsurabami, foreshadowing a potential outcome for Naota after the series' conclusion given the similarities between Naota and the Commander: they both like sweet foods/dislike spicy food, they both have NO abilities and were used by Haruko to catch Atomsk, Amarao bought a scooter or kept Haruko's as a keepsake the same way Naota keeps her guitar in the finale, etc.

Naota's journey is a fairly standard coming-of-age, but it certainly has emotional moments. He begins the story sort of lost; he looked up to Tasuku as the only real mature adult in his life. His life rapidly spirals out of control with the events of the show (Haruko, robots coming out of heads, etc.) while trying to understand his own emotions. More than anything he's confused by Mamimi, and goes from annoyed indifference to schoolboy crush way too fast, culminating with probably my favorite moment in the entire series: "Don't call my brother! I'm the one who's here! I'm the one who's gonna save you! My name is Naota! Don't ever call me Takkun again!"

And this is all fairly surface stuff, without getting into the symbolism of the entire show as a metaphor for post-WWII Japan.

The second season doesn't seem to have any of that; I intend to give it at least one more viewing and watch all 6 episodes back to back in case I missed something, but even on my first viewing of the original I noticed much more depth.

*Season 2 spoiler:

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #1999 on: July 09, 2018, 06:31:08 PM

Violet Evergarden is pretty good for being insanely schmaltzy. It's definitely beautifully animated.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #2000 on: July 26, 2018, 08:23:18 PM

I thought FLCL was the best story/explanation of what puberty feels like / is like I've ever seen to this day.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
schild
Administrator

Reply #2001 on: July 26, 2018, 08:24:28 PM

Violet Evergarden is pretty good for being insanely schmaltzy. It's definitely beautifully animated.
isn't that the lead from hunger games?
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #2002 on: July 28, 2018, 11:04:38 AM

isn't that the lead from hunger games?
You made me look it up because the phonetics of the name in my head sounded just like it in my head when I tried to remember it. Katniss Everdeen.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #2003 on: October 26, 2018, 07:42:31 AM

Castlevania season 2 just popped on Netflix. I'll have to suppress the urge to binge.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

http://tinyurl.com/d89qk7g

Reply #2004 on: October 26, 2018, 09:05:24 AM

Niiiiiiice

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #2005 on: October 27, 2018, 05:46:21 PM

It's very good! Insanely obvious that Ennis wrote it though.

Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #2006 on: October 27, 2018, 09:14:35 PM

I hadnít watched any of it before, watched both seasons in between wiring my basement bar/rec room for 7.1 surround. Enjoyed the Trevor/Sypha/Alucard interplay the most.  Second favorite bit was Godbrandís voicework reminding me heavily of Brak  Ohhhhh, I see.
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Anime recommendations  
Jump to: