Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 13, 2024, 05:26:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Anime recommendations 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 59 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Anime recommendations  (Read 657009 times)
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #1750 on: May 06, 2013, 11:00:14 AM

See, to me that would be the perfect ending if at the very end of that sequence, they suddenly cut back to light walking out of the graveyard, who suddenly grabes his chest in pain.  He turns around to see Ryuk finish writing his name into a death note, who then explains apologetically that he's sorry, but Lights time is up.  Light then dies an agonizing death.

Afterwards Ryuk reaches down and pulls his mask off, revealing that he was actually L all this time.  Who then grins and whispers 'Just as Planned'.

Ohhhhh, I see.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 02:25:09 PM by Teleku »

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #1751 on: May 06, 2013, 01:44:17 PM

For the people who like Death Note - go watch Paranoia Agent.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #1752 on: May 06, 2013, 07:34:00 PM

Ah fuck, I'd almost forgotten Paranoia Agent.  That was a bit mind fucky.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #1753 on: May 07, 2013, 08:52:21 PM

Monster's really impressing me 25 episodes in.  And not for the reasons I was expecting.  Episodes have been focusing on a new character, usually with satisfying development and clever writing.  Not very thriller or horror-like, but very good.

And found this:  http://www.deadline.com/2013/04/guillermo-del-toro-is-hatching-a-monster-of-a-series-at-hbo/
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

Reply #1754 on: May 09, 2013, 05:30:44 AM

So, as I was desperately avoiding studying for finals, I was looking into the Spring lineup of anime.  There's more than a few mech types up so I started watching some from AnimeDreaming and it's not too shabby.

Suisei no Gargantia:  So the world froze over, and mankind left for the stars.  But the stars were not empty.  Mankind formed a Galactic Alliance to combat this hostile alien force (apparently plant like space dwellers).  One of the human warriors gets trapped in some wormhole tech shennanigans and ends up with some low tech humans in parts unknown.  Dunno how long they were in space yet, but it appears long enough to let a planet thaw, have really advanced tech, and completely forgotten where Earth was.

Kakumeiki Valvrave:  Another space faring humanity with Mechs job, There is a Dyson's Sphere which is about to get fucked up by some outside human force, and some kid has to save the day.  There are some twists though, but even though it's all in episode 1 I don't think I should spoil them.

Shingeki no Kyoujin:  Humanity didn't make it to space in this one.  There are pockets of civilization that spent the last hundred years behind 50 meter walls because of "titans" (big naked humanoids) which like to snack on the little folk (us).  Apparently they just wander around naked and shit.  There are some people who go out and try to find weaknesses of these giants, but they are apparently wildly unsuccessful.  The rest of the people avoid thinking about outside, and call people who do heretics and shit.  People are rather content with their situation until a really big guy shows up.

I watched some couple other but they struck me as shit, so I didn't bother remembering them.  These seemed interesting enough I'll keep tabs on them.  Thought I'd share.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #1755 on: May 09, 2013, 05:40:44 AM

Hataraku Maou-sama is probably my favorite this spring and while Toaru Kagaku no Railgun S hasn't exactly amazed me it's still decent.
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

Reply #1756 on: May 09, 2013, 06:01:24 AM

Yeah Railgun S is on my list to check out, all the other iterations of that world has been decent.  I will add the Satan Bum thing, wasn't sure I'd bother with that one.

Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #1757 on: May 09, 2013, 01:30:41 PM

Kakumeiki Valvrave

The mech designs seem similar to those in Zegapain. Are the stories related, or is it the same mechanical designer?

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

Reply #1758 on: May 09, 2013, 03:41:57 PM

I don't know anything about Zegapain, but I do know this is touted to be an original animation.

Aza
Terracotta Army

Reply #1759 on: May 14, 2013, 03:43:40 PM

So far I like Attack on Titan, the rare serious anime that isn't full of the typical BS (tits, moe, kawaiii). Hopefully it holds up and doesn't collapse under emo.

Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

Reply #1760 on: May 14, 2013, 05:07:04 PM

Episode 5 is the "wait, what?" moment.

satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #1761 on: May 14, 2013, 10:41:23 PM

Hataraku Maou-sama is probably my favorite this spring while Toaru Kagaku no Railgun S hasn't exactly amazed me it's still decent.
(the latter half of ) episode 5 of Railgun S really changed the pace of the anime (which I was hoping would happen sooner or later) while the latest episode of Hataraku was somewhat of a disappointment (but not big enough to make we consider dropping the series)
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

Reply #1762 on: May 15, 2013, 10:04:08 AM

I need to catch up on railgun.  Hataraku is still watchable but I agree with the disappointment.  Pretty bad flaw in the story / storytelling.

satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #1763 on: June 03, 2013, 03:33:11 AM

Hataraku Maou-sama is probably my favorite this spring while Toaru Kagaku no Railgun S hasn't exactly amazed me it's still decent.
(the latter half of ) episode 5 of Railgun S really changed the pace of the anime (which I was hoping would happen sooner or later) while the latest episode of Hataraku was somewhat of a disappointment (but not big enough to make we consider dropping the series)

And now it's Suisei no Gargantia's turn to do the same with episode 9 (Gen Urobuchi doesn't disappoint)  ACK!
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #1764 on: June 24, 2013, 09:20:16 AM

Rewatching Trigun again; man I still think Trigun's heel turn in tone is the most abrupt in anime.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #1765 on: June 24, 2013, 09:25:34 AM

Haha, yeah, that always impressed me as well.  Ended up really enjoying that series because of it.  Hmm, I should probably give it a rewatch...

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #1766 on: June 25, 2013, 03:54:52 AM

It's super light-hearted and tongue-in-cheek for the entire first third of the anime, then alright some people start getting killed but it's all pretty sanitized/low PG-13, then wham the flashback and suddenly you're dealing with the idea of eugenics, rape, brutal murder, genocide, etc and outside of like one comedy episode it just gets more grim after that.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #1767 on: June 25, 2013, 05:12:06 AM

The new Yamato is really good. If you can get your hands on it you all should.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #1768 on: June 25, 2013, 05:33:03 AM

the "best Trigun" in my opinion  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? awesome, for real
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #1769 on: July 21, 2013, 04:47:08 AM

Catching up on some more recent anime after a number of years not paying attention.

Just watched the entirety of Madoka... wow... that was a fun, fun ride.

I'm convinced that the 12-13 episode series is just about the perfect length for telling a good story without excess filler, and this one definitely makes the most of it, well paced, and a nice "oh crap" raising of the stakes every 2-3 episodes.

I'm a few episodes into Suisei no Gargantia, and enjoying it so far.  Not quite as genre-defying as Madoka, but seems to be exploring some slightly different territory than some other mecha stuff I've seen.
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #1770 on: July 21, 2013, 05:56:23 AM

Suisei no Gargantia was pretty good except the end was a bit of a let-down. The other mech anime of the spring that I enjoyed was Valvrave but the last episode for the season was pretty bad (gave up on the third mech anime Majestic Prince pretty early on due to the terrible characters in it). As for non-mech anime To Aru no Railgun S seems a bit too drawn out and would probably have benefited from a 15 episode season (instead of 24) and Arata Kangatari has hints of greatness  (like Watase Yuu's earlier animes Ayashi no Ceres and Fushigi Yuugi) but it doesn't rise to the same level. Hataraku Maou-sama turned out to be a brilliant show which will hopefully get a second season while Devil Survivor 2: the animation was very mediocre. Space Brothers continues to be Space Brothers which is... good I guess.

as for the summer's anime I haven't had the time/will to watch any yet.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 06:00:22 AM by satael »
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #1771 on: August 08, 2013, 10:50:12 PM

I need a hand finding an anime I caught just bits of an episode at a party.

It opens up in this shop that sells crystals or something that are powerful and its getting robbed. It has kind of a modern feel to it. In the middle of this robbery this youngish girl shows up and hands a bunch of thugs their asses using this tech scythe weapon. After a rooftop battle scene this girl gets accepted into some sort of training academy thing for people with exceptional abilities.

That's all i got before it got shut off. If anyone has even a remote idea of what the title might be I would greatly appreciate the assistance.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #1772 on: August 09, 2013, 12:14:37 AM

See if you can find your scythe-wielding hero here (other than that I can't help you)
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1773 on: August 09, 2013, 05:21:38 PM

I need a hand finding an anime I caught just bits of an episode at a party.

It opens up in this shop that sells crystals or something that are powerful and its getting robbed. It has kind of a modern feel to it. In the middle of this robbery this youngish girl shows up and hands a bunch of thugs their asses using this tech scythe weapon. After a rooftop battle scene this girl gets accepted into some sort of training academy thing for people with exceptional abilities.

That's all i got before it got shut off. If anyone has even a remote idea of what the title might be I would greatly appreciate the assistance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sGiE10zNQM

-edit should add words-

I am like 95% positive you are talking about RWBY from Rooster Teeth (dudes who make Red vs Blue the Halo machinmia), first episode linked above.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 05:27:49 PM by Fordel »

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Pagz
Terracotta Army

I AM GOING TO WRESTLE THIS BEAR WITH MY BARE HANDS!

Reply #1774 on: September 30, 2013, 05:00:20 AM

Season 1 of Attack on Titan just finished, no excuse for everyone not to watch it now!

Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #1775 on: September 30, 2013, 06:31:25 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sGiE10zNQM

-edit should add words-

I am like 95% positive you are talking about RWBY from Rooster Teeth (dudes who make Red vs Blue the Halo machinmia), first episode linked above.

That was the one. The episodes are a bit short, and I don't think it is super amazing, but it is interesting to me for some reason.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #1776 on: December 24, 2013, 01:01:54 PM

Psycho Pass.

See it. Its quite good. I don't even like most serious attempts at scifi in anime but this was a special bit of storytelling.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #1777 on: December 24, 2013, 01:19:33 PM

Excuse me but Kill La Kill is clearly anime of the half-decade.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

Reply #1778 on: December 24, 2013, 01:50:21 PM

It was a -bit- over the top for me. 

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1779 on: December 24, 2013, 08:42:46 PM

Excuse me but Kill La Kill is clearly anime of the half-decade.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
I'm sorry but Steins;Gate holds that title.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #1780 on: December 24, 2013, 09:30:33 PM

I'm sorry but Steins;Gate holds that title.

I'd agree and also say that I thought Ano Hana and Psycho Pass were on the same level. Truly great examples of their genres.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1781 on: December 24, 2013, 10:01:49 PM

Agreed on AnoHana; haven't seen Psycho Pass yet but it's on my list.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #1782 on: January 16, 2014, 10:38:06 AM

Season 1 of Attack on Titan just finished, no excuse for everyone not to watch it now!

If you are like me and were avoiding Titan because that much hype just never seems trustworthy. Fix your face. Show is really really fun and good. Uncensored sub'd version is on Netflix streaming even if you are super lazy. So no excuses.

-William Gibson
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #1783 on: January 21, 2014, 01:05:03 PM

Been watching Attack on Titan on Hulu.  Haven't watched an anime so hard in a long time.   DRILLING AND MANLINESS

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #1784 on: January 21, 2014, 02:59:29 PM

Titan annoyed me with its five minute recap/credits at the beginning of each episode.

Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 59 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Anime recommendations  
Jump to: