Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:10:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  League of Legends  |  Topic: Skins 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Skins  (Read 19466 times)
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

on: October 29, 2010, 10:59:58 AM

So, I bought Astronaut Teemo.  I love how he floats.  People have been flipping me shit over the cost.  But I chalk it up to supporting Riot in lieu of a sub.

"Me am play gods"
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 11:18:04 AM

But I chalk it up to supporting Riot in lieu of a sub.

Same reason I tell myself every time I buy Riot points.  Yes I could play for free, but for all the issues and problems with PvP.net it's a game I play a lot and enjoy so I have no issue with supporting them.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 11:34:54 AM

People have been flipping me shit over the cost.

Honestly, I'm more pissed at Riot's constant "How much should the new champ be?  Heads = 1k RP/3k IP, Tails = 1k RP, 6k IP" bullshit than I am about their skins costing more than most of the full games I buy these days.

$20 is still too much for me to pay for a skin for a champ I rarely use (I mean, I love Teemo in bot batches, but he's always seemed weak to me in real games), but at least there are other, cheaper skins for me to buy if I want to.  I can deal with them throwing out the occasional high end skin as long as there's something for us po' folk too.  Maybe if they came out with a $20 skin for a champ I played I'd get it, but it seems like too much to drop for something I'd only use a handful of times.

Also, the lack of any sort of preview function is kind of annoying.  Not a big deal when I'm dropping $5 on a skin, but when I'm paying $20 and the only indication I have of what it looks like is an artist's sketch, I'm a bit wary.  I didn't even know he floated until you mentioned that.  Does he get a new voice?  Are any of his spell effects different?  I know his mushrooms look like satellite dishes now, but that's about it.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 12:30:09 PM

I love my Morde Pentakill skin, I can't wait to put the whole band together  awesome, for real

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 12:36:07 PM

I heard a buddy talk about the astroteemo yesterday but have not seen it. Been busy with other things.

I have been lucky in the skin buying department that the toons I play well/a lot have shitty skins (though if I got back in the groove with teemo I might have to buy the astro one). Taric has the worst 2 custom skins ever, and I play him pretty much exclusively now.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 12:46:29 PM

What is wrong with Gay Pride Taric?

"Me am play gods"
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: October 29, 2010, 01:44:17 PM

The "1 year anniversary" (thats what I was told at least) Teemo skin should be given free to people with 1 year+ old accounts.  Ohhhhh, I see.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: October 29, 2010, 02:41:30 PM

I gotta admit, I got a bit of a chuckle over their "last chance to get Soccer skins" post, since I don't think I've ever seen any of those skins in any game anywhere.

"We gotta design some skins, what should we do?"
"How about the World Cup?  That's popular, isn't it?"
"Yeah!  In, like, Brazil, I think, sure.  So, soccer skins!"
"Okay, first up, Blitzcrank in a Riot T-shirt!"
"Awesome!  What next?"
"How about... Ezreal - in a Riot t-shirt!"
"CRAZINESS!  Okay, anything else?"
"Let's see... Akali in.... oh, let's say, a Riot t-shirt!"
"Beautiful!  Done!  Soccer is that game where people stand around in t-shirts, right?"
"I think so, but I'm from California, where we call it football!"
"Close enough! PUT THAT SHIT ON THE STORE!  Jenkins, you magnificent bastard, you've just earned yourself another money hat!"
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: October 29, 2010, 02:54:09 PM

I have Pumpkinhead Fiddle.  I don't really play Fiddle.  Why did I buy riot points to buy Pumpkinhead Fiddle?  I just couldn't help myself.

Now I'm seeing Nosferatu Vald.  I fear that I'm doomed to repeat the past.

Somehow I have UFO Corki.  UFO Corki is awesome!
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #9 on: October 29, 2010, 02:59:31 PM

It was a freebie they gave everyone with an account at the beginning of the year for winning some award  I.E. a bribe.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 03:34:43 PM by tazelbain »

"Me am play gods"
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: October 29, 2010, 03:33:58 PM

Oh!  That means that I need to vote for them more!
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #11 on: October 29, 2010, 03:39:18 PM

The last 2 bribes were a rune sheet and 4 game IP bonus. So I am guessing, they aren't don't need the publicity quite as bad.

EDIT: Or smaller bribes are just as effective.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 03:43:57 PM by tazelbain »

"Me am play gods"
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: October 29, 2010, 03:46:13 PM

The discount needs to be steeper on those soccer skins. Of course, the only one I liked was the Kat one, and I don't own kat so I would have to buy the champ first.

They should let you buy skins even if you don't own the champ. Then if they are on a free week, you can use the skin then!

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: October 29, 2010, 04:59:50 PM

The discount needs to be steeper on those soccer skins. Of course, the only one I liked was the Kat one, and I don't own kat so I would have to buy the champ first.

They should let you buy skins even if you don't own the champ. Then if they are on a free week, you can use the skin then!

This seems pretty obvious, it's just more money in Riots pocket.  Wonder why they haven't done it.

Muffled
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: October 30, 2010, 12:27:02 AM

People would think or say they thought they were getting the champ too, and bitch at them, possibly.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: October 30, 2010, 11:21:41 AM

They really need a better preview method.

I must resist Miss Fortune.

Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #16 on: October 31, 2010, 01:35:33 AM

I'm pretty sure at this point in time I own at least one custom skin per hero I own.

I'm a sucker for the weekly sales. I breathe a sigh of relief when I already own all the skins on sale (IE this coming week).

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
schild
Administrator

Reply #17 on: October 31, 2010, 09:07:47 AM

The "1 year anniversary" (thats what I was told at least) Teemo skin should be given free to people with 1 year+ old accounts.  Ohhhhh, I see.
As far as I can tell that is not happening.
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #18 on: November 06, 2010, 05:37:33 PM

At least an anciliary benefit to being a toolbag who only plays one hero who is invariably ugly in all incarnations is that I have virtually no temptation to spend cash on this game. But I want to.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: November 06, 2010, 05:52:56 PM

At least an anciliary benefit to being a toolbag who only plays one hero who is invariably ugly in all incarnations is that I have virtually no temptation to spend cash on this game. But I want to.

I am getting that feeling as well....seeing as I play Taric almost exclusively now, and even the better looking of the two custom skins is WORSE than the default.

Ozzu
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: November 06, 2010, 11:04:26 PM

Zombie Ryze and Pumpkinhead Fiddlesticks were pretty good purchases. I really like holiday-specific skins.
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #21 on: November 07, 2010, 12:02:11 PM

I am getting that feeling as well....seeing as I play Taric almost exclusively now, and even the better looking of the two custom skins is WORSE than the default.

Pink 80s Taric is amazing, he looks FABULOUS.

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #22 on: November 08, 2010, 11:10:30 PM

I tried to give riot money. I really did. Adobe Air duhrs out each time.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: November 12, 2010, 10:36:54 PM

I tried to give riot money. I really did. Adobe Air duhrs out each time.

You can just go to 7-11 and buy a riot points card now!

They just put a thing in the game that says "Now on sale at GameStop, Best Buy, and even 7-Eleven".  swamp poop

Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #24 on: November 14, 2010, 05:56:03 PM

its funny, I went to 7-11 cause I remembered that. no riot points on sale there :/
Ozzu
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: November 17, 2010, 08:50:30 PM

I keep eyeing Corporate Mundo, but that 1820 point cost is keeping me from doing it. Any sort of sale on that and I'd be all over it.

I still may end up doing it. I'm weak.  swamp poop
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: November 18, 2010, 05:17:10 AM

Corporate Mundo is awesome, but somehow I've managed to not buy him.

I love my Jack O'latern Fiddle and Nosferatu Vlad.  Fiddle looks so much better as a Jack.

Haven't seen Feral WW yet.  Anyone have that?  If so, how do you like it?
Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: November 18, 2010, 09:37:38 AM

I'm pretty much only buying legendary skins these days; the other skins just can't begin to compare to the legendary ones.
Ozzu
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: November 26, 2010, 12:42:52 AM

I broke down and bought Corporate Mundo tonight. Now, if they'd only come out with more of the legendary skins for champs I actually play.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #29 on: November 26, 2010, 01:30:05 PM

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: December 01, 2010, 11:22:16 AM

I play Olaf a lot.  He's probably the closest to being my "main".  Because of that I felt the need to buy the Brolaf skin.  At 1820 Riot points it's pretty stupidly expensive (for a skin), still I felt compelled.

There are new sound files along with the skin.  Actually, there are quite a few more sound files then with a normal skin.  Probably seven or eight different things he says when you click for him to go somewhere  ("Dude, I'm kind of a big deal").  /j, /t, /l (x2) are all different.  And he says, "KA-BOOM!", when you use the E ability.

I'm pretty pleased with my purchase.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #31 on: March 20, 2011, 03:58:50 PM

Skin Viewer

Has some of the not yet released skins, Marble Malphite and Bandit Sivir are the ones I noticed.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: March 21, 2011, 08:49:57 PM

Skin Viewer

Has some of the not yet released skins, Marble Malphite and Bandit Sivir are the ones I noticed.

Thanks for posting this, very cool.  It's surprising to me how neat a lot of the characters look when you're not seeing them from a mile above.  Also, it's got the old models for the minions boosted by that summoner spell that got removed, which I haven't seen before.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: August 09, 2011, 07:49:19 PM

So they finally make a Taric skin that does not look like something straight out of Studio 54 and they make his body tiny and lose the pony tail :(

Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: August 10, 2011, 05:26:18 AM

Is it just me or are skins not selling very well?  I just started not that long ago but I rarely see people using skins.  Admittedly I don't play ranked yet so maybe that's it.   Usually something like skins though they should be selling like hotcakes even to newbs.   I feel like they are being foolish pricing them for so much.   The game has like a bazillion users now so going for volume would be smarter.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  League of Legends  |  Topic: Skins  
Jump to: