Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 02:34:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Magic: The Gathering Online  |  Topic: Thinking about trying MTG:O out 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thinking about trying MTG:O out  (Read 3690 times)
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

on: October 26, 2010, 12:46:10 PM

I used to play Magic a lot back in High School; stopped playing because it was pretty expensive and didn't have a lot of friends to play against. Never really got into the tournament scene; I did a few sealed deck/draft things but that's it. I've wanted to get back into it for a while now, but none of my RL friends play anymore and I don't feel like driving 45m to the nearest card shop to get schooled by 13 year olds. So I figured, MTG:O!

So, how is it? It's what, $10 to sign up, then you just buy cards? All the threads I've seen on here mention card prices in tix (tickets?); how much does a booster cost in real money? Is there any monthly fee? Any free trial available?

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 01:19:16 PM

No monthly fee but you can expect card prices to be comparable to real card prices.  A booster pack is 3.99 and tickets are $1 each.

I think a free trial is available but your decks options are about as good as you'd expect for free.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 01:23:28 PM

There are a subset of people who just pay their $10 and only ever play with the planeswalkers cards they give you for free. Obviously you won't see a ton of metagame variety there, but there are certainly plenty of games happening.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 08:08:53 PM

Also if they are still doing it some trade bots will give out X number of free commons to people.  Just search for free in the marketplace.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 09:33:15 AM

No monthly fee but you can expect card prices to be comparable to real card prices.  A booster pack is 3.99 and tickets are $1 each.

I think a free trial is available but your decks options are about as good as you'd expect for free.
Really? Pass. Still too expensive.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 09:54:05 AM

Really? Pass. Still too expensive.

Download the client anyway.  You can check out the interface with the free/casual noob stuff to see if it's okay for you.

The $10 to activate an account gets you $10 in store credit, which you can use to buy the Planeswalkers gold bordered things, and opens up alot of very casual play.  It also lets you play the casual formats like pauper (all commons) or peasant (some uncommons), since commons and uncommons can be had for very little.  (Or for free if you hit me up in game  awesome, for real)

You really don't need to jump whole hog into MODO by dropping a bunch of money and immediately getting into the Limited/Constructed scene.
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: October 27, 2010, 10:38:31 AM

I'm mostly playing peasant myself currently and you can always find a game.  Its not hard to find bots that are selling 125+ commons for $1.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Magic: The Gathering Online  |  Topic: Thinking about trying MTG:O out  
Jump to: