Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:38:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: Bunch of new EQ2 videos from the EQ Fan faire 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bunch of new EQ2 videos from the EQ Fan faire  (Read 3754 times)
Riley
Terracotta Army

on: April 05, 2004, 08:32:34 AM

http://pub146.ezboard.com/fthesafehouseoutsidenorrath.showMessage?topicID=15539.topic

This is just someone filming the presentations they gave so its low quality, but it is real game footage and its the first look we've had at any of this stuff.

Some nice footage of combat, quests, a boat trip, stealth, voiceovers, the UI.. a pretty good variety.  The graphics look pretty fluid, the whole "plastic" looking fears seem to be a non-issue - at least to me, I think they have improved on a lot of the textures since those early wax museum screenshots and the game looks a bit better.

One thing I noticed right away... they use the 16/9 aspect ratio.  Like HDTV, it leaves the black bar at the top and the bottom - which gives you a scinematic feel and makes for a perfect place to put all the HUD stuff where it doesn't affect the screen.

They mentioned the stats of the computer running the game in these demos: P4 3.0ghz, Geforce 5950, 1 gb ram.  It looks like the game was pushing that machine in parts :)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1 on: April 05, 2004, 08:50:26 AM

I thought the character animation looked stiff, way too rigid. The voiceovers seemed to work well, but the animation did nothing for me. The combat looked so much more of "been there, done that."

Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: April 05, 2004, 02:28:54 PM

Combat sounds to be a lot like FFXI combat.

Just checked out most of the videos.  The dragon one gives a nifty bit of one of the quests.  A dragon attacks the boat and sets part of it on fire, one of the workers can't put it out because a goblin is chasing him that you have to kill.  Great animations in it all and scripting with voice quests like that adds a lot if they do enough of it.  Content is always the killer.

The infravision video was pretty nice.  Can see through walls and such but it won't show undead or cold blooded.

Hard to tell what combat is like at all.  He was playing a low level caster and wasn't casting any spells.  So not much gameplay at all in the videos.  Visually it at least appeared insynch and there were visual cues for damage dealt and received.  I like that, but it still has to be fun of course.

Visually I was pretty impressed, but there is no way you can see flaws in video of a screen.  And they were surely running it on top end video cards.
Riley
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: April 05, 2004, 04:03:41 PM

Quote from: Alluvian
Combat sounds to be a lot like FFXI combat.

Yup, the locked encounters and the group combo system seems to be going along that path as well.

Makes you wonder how much they adjusted the game since they have seen the success of FFXI.  To me it seems like they are much more worried about competiting with FFXI than WoW.  Although I have noticed that in recent interviews, they have been pushing a lot that the game is "fun" :)
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: April 06, 2004, 07:02:31 AM

I don't think you should really worry too much about competition and instead just make your game what your game is supposed to be.  Keep an eye on it, but never try and match feature for feature.

EQ2 is pretty strongly on my radar now.  A little more than WoW because I actually know a lot of people who want to try EQ2 and not too many are interested in WoW in my circle of friends.

Ah well.  Not in beta yet, and I have my rules.  Must follow my rules.

I did notice that whatever system they had it on ran very well except for CRUSHING loading delay.  You can tell they started from the same engine as SWG is running and went from there.  That came out wrong... EQ2 and SWG started with the same engine and diverged during dev.  Wonder if EQ2 is using an Oracle database...
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: Bunch of new EQ2 videos from the EQ Fan faire  
Jump to: