Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:35:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Dungeon Defenders 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dungeon Defenders  (Read 60838 times)
Musashi
Terracotta Army

on: October 18, 2010, 10:46:03 AM

I, uh...  saw this on Steam.  I want someone to tell me I'm crazy and this will suck.  Please.  No really.  Because if you don't, I may be forced to become a hermit.

It's a multiplayer RPG with tower defense elements.  So they might as well just describe it as nerd kryptonite.  It's like they took Diablo, and instead of making you trot around looking for stuff to smash, they made the stuff you smash come to you.  Then, as if that weren't enough, they gave you turrets to blow shit up with.  I'm like, disgusted.

Plz tell me these guys invented DRM, or are dirty Bobby Kotick underlings.  Plz.  I kind of liked sleeping.

http://dungeondefenders.com/

AKA Gyoza
Zaljerem
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 11:06:50 AM

It's a multiplayer RPG with tower defense elements. 

Interesting. I hit the website for a second and poked around, I'm intrigued.

Every problem has a better solution when you start thinking about it differently than the normal way. - Steve Wozniak
When is [Minecraft] going to get together with DF, have a nice cuddle and a bottle of wine and finally produce the Baby that I want ? - Ironwood
"Thank you for helping us help you help us all." - GlaDOS
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 02:56:28 PM

It's based on the game they made called Dungeon Defense for the UDK Showcase. It's a little free game you can get here - http://www.udk.com/showcase-dungeon-defense

It's a pretty fun game, even if it is very tech demo-y.

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 03:00:29 PM

That sounds very much like what Dungeon Keeper was initially supposed to be about...

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 03:01:51 PM

Looks fun.  But you know.. other people.

-Rasix
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 04:00:27 PM

Seems decent. I'm mildly intrigued if it's got some deep replay value and I'm won't be griefed by jackasses non-stop. I don't hold out a lot of hope for the latter.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 05:12:58 PM

The worst thing I can mention is the overly busy art style. Too much brightly-colored stuff all over the place. I was squinting by the end of the trailer.

Other than that, looks like fun.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 05:44:57 PM

The art style is unapologetically the same exact thing as Torchlight.  Which is unapologetically a cartoony Diablo 3.

In other words, after toying with the demo, I can say for sure that I'm totally fucked.  I'm not sure if you can get that demo on PSN and play with more people.  It's kind of hard to watch three lanes by yourself.  But still, the finished product should be glorious if it manages some semblance of balance.

AKA Gyoza
climbjtree
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: October 18, 2010, 06:21:46 PM

I watched the trailer. Damn you.

I'll probably pick this thing up too.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: October 18, 2010, 06:32:46 PM

Saw this on Impuse a few weeks ago. I managed to resist.

Now the longing has been reawakened.

Damn you.

Hic sunt dracones.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: October 18, 2010, 09:14:25 PM

Wow, I saw this when it was a fart up some UDK devs ass.  It's been on my to-buy list for months...  thanks for the reminder though, almost forgot it was coming out Nov. 1.
Also, there's another similar style game coming out but a sci-fi shooter theme.  Saw it at E3.  Anyone remember the name of it???

p.s.
DD is also fully moddable; source code and everything, which if you're a UDK hobbyist means you're effectively now a DM.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 09:17:27 PM by Ghambit »

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
ffc
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: October 19, 2010, 01:35:40 PM

Gameplay - thanks Ghambit, I got confused in related videos. And epic music is epic.

The art style is unapologetically the same exact thing as Torchlight.  Which is unapologetically a cartoony Diablo 3.

And Diablo 3 is a cartoony Diablo 2.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?  Dungeon Defenders looks cel shaded enough where it reminds me more of Borderlands' style. I want to check out its local multiplayer.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 02:43:50 PM by ffc »
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: October 19, 2010, 02:21:38 PM

Gameplay

The art style is unapologetically the same exact thing as Torchlight.  Which is unapologetically a cartoony Diablo 3.

And Diablo 3 is a cartoony Diablo 2.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?  Dungeon Defenders looks cel shaded enough where it reminds me more of Borderlands' style. I want to check out its local multiplayer.

That gameplay is from Dungeon Defense, not Dungeon Defenders.
This is Dungeon Defenders:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Mz-TkmlzBI

Extended cut:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKLP42gpOy4

Man, that music has me all hyped up.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 02:23:57 PM by Ghambit »

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #13 on: October 19, 2010, 03:01:40 PM

WANT! NAO!
Aez
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: October 19, 2010, 03:48:43 PM

The art style is unapologetically the same exact thing as Torchlight.  Which is unapologetically a cartoony Diablo 3.

Not really, Torchlight art was much better. It was more "Disney" than this.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #15 on: October 19, 2010, 07:33:05 PM

Etheria? This is set in Heroes of Might and Magic Warlords/Puzzle Quest land?

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #16 on: October 20, 2010, 12:18:52 AM

Plz tell me these guys invented DRM, or are dirty Bobby Kotick underlings.  Plz.  I kind of liked sleeping.

They're like the Boys from Brazil except with Bobby Kotick's DNA. Each is hand-raised by a scientologist with the goal of giving M. Night Shyamalan the power to appoint himself director of any movie or game franchise he chooses, starting with Portal II and Half Life 3.
Demonix
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: October 20, 2010, 07:25:47 AM

The worst thing I can mention is the overly busy art style. Too much brightly-colored stuff all over the place. I was squinting by the end of the trailer.

Other than that, looks like fun.

Yeah, I was gonna say the same thing...it's AWFULLY busy.  Plus, placing towers in real-time with no pause option? 

Still, It looks interesting!  I'd check it out.
Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: October 20, 2010, 11:25:47 AM

They're like the Boys from Brazil except with Bobby Kotick's DNA. Each is hand-raised by a scientologist with the goal of giving M. Night Shyamalan the power to appoint himself director of any movie or game franchise he chooses, starting with Portal II and Half Life 3.

Fuuuuu   awesome, for real

AKA Gyoza
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: October 20, 2010, 11:43:21 AM

That sounds very much like what Dungeon Keeper was initially supposed to be about...

But I've watched the trailer and not only was I as wrong as can be, it looks like utter shite.

The lightsabre was cool though.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: October 20, 2010, 01:44:38 PM

AKA Gyoza
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #21 on: October 22, 2010, 12:14:31 PM

In other words, after toying with the demo, I can say for sure that I'm totally fucked.  I'm not sure if you can get that demo on PSN and play with more people.  It's kind of hard to watch three lanes by yourself.  But still, the finished product should be glorious if it manages some semblance of balance.

Got a link to the demo?
Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: October 22, 2010, 12:18:09 PM

It's based on the game they made called Dungeon Defense for the UDK Showcase. It's a little free game you can get here - http://www.udk.com/showcase-dungeon-defense

It's a pretty fun game, even if it is very tech demo-y.

AKA Gyoza
Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: October 31, 2010, 05:10:29 PM

I just looked this up to be sure, because I thought maybe it was a typo.  This game will be ten bucks.  10$.  I confirmed it on their forums.

AKA Gyoza
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: October 31, 2010, 05:27:06 PM

For $10, who the fuck wouldn't try it?

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: October 31, 2010, 05:51:35 PM

So, 10 bucks one time fee?  No cash shop or anything? That sounds reasonable if thats it.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: October 31, 2010, 09:52:12 PM

Full game has been delayed till near the end of Nov.  Demo should be out some time this week.
Also, new vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rq61CjMs7w&feature=player_embedded

Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: October 31, 2010, 10:47:20 PM

sad

AKA Gyoza
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: November 01, 2010, 05:43:27 AM

Jesus it is really hard to distinguish wtf is going on in those videos, and what the towers are actually shooting at.  The art people need to get a lesson in contrast between characters and terrain.
Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: November 05, 2010, 10:22:20 PM

And now it appears the game and demo are both delayed until January.

AKA Gyoza
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #30 on: November 05, 2010, 10:26:27 PM

Mob
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: January 22, 2011, 08:28:37 PM

This is coming out soon, right? Do we have a real release date? Also, does anyone know if you still get the preorder bonus if you preorder through Steam? The other 3 sites all offer cool pets, but Steam mentions nothing.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #32 on: January 22, 2011, 09:10:17 PM

Just says Q1 2011 now.  Some iteration of it is already released on the iPhone/iPad, but it has terrible reviews and isn't getting solid support.  I haven't quite taken the jump for $5.00 to play something that is broken by half the users, so I can't tell what the issues are. 
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: January 22, 2011, 09:21:15 PM

Kinda friendly of them to take pre-orders and then pull all of this shit eh?

kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: January 22, 2011, 10:05:34 PM

I've been playing this pretty heavily on a droid X, and have had no problems. The main complaint I can see would be "dear god, the camera angles on some maps!"

The shenannigans with the xbox cert process/delayed submission meaning nothing beyond phone versions being released for months after the release date is some bullshit though.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Dungeon Defenders  
Jump to: