Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 02:07:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Magic: The Gathering Online  |  Topic: Scars of Mirrodin release 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Scars of Mirrodin release  (Read 6662 times)
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

on: October 12, 2010, 04:06:57 PM

Scars prerelease begins on Thursday.  30 tix for a 6 pack four round Sealed, payout is weighted towards finishing in the top.  The attendance prize is a Wormcoil Engine (badass artifact creature mythic).  If you're a decent Sealed player, playing one really isn't too bad.

A 3-1 finish will net you 4 packs and another foil Wormcoil Engine in prizes, so that's 30 tix for 10 packs plus two (very playable) mythics, and drawing out in the final round at 3-0 is good for 7 packs plus additional mythic.  ROE prerelease was actually very good to me... though M11 was not.

Drafts usually get going a week or two after.

Most of the cardboard value in this set is focused on the Mythics, between the PWers, the Mox, and the Masticore.  There are decent rares (including a good cycle of aggro beneficial duals).

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 04:17:16 PM

Yeah I will definitely be playing in at least one of these. I managed to net the bonus sun titan out of the M11 one.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 04:28:35 PM

Yeah I will definitely be playing in at least one of these. I managed to net the bonus sun titan out of the M11 one.

M11 was flat out bad for me.  The prize support is really top heavy for prereleases, especially compared to regular drafts.  I'll definitely play one, then see if I should sit until the regular events start up.

This also marks the Rotation, so Standard will be down to Zen block plus M11 plus Scars.
schild
Administrator

Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 07:24:03 PM

My Russian Foil Ratchet bomb (real) laughs at Elspeth and Koth in cost. I should really sell this thing.

I hate Scars.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: October 15, 2010, 12:26:20 PM

So.  Just opened my prelease cards, and they include a Koth and a Ratchet Bomb.   awesome, for real
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #5 on: October 15, 2010, 01:11:13 PM

I narrowly missed a 3-1 last night. Not sure if I am going to try again.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: October 15, 2010, 01:34:11 PM

I'm in B/R, with some good burn, some good utility artifacts, and many infect critters.  Spikeshot Elder (RR1: deal damage = power to target creature or player) is a beating.  Almost zero fat, though.  

Koth and Ratchet should have more than paid for this draft anyway, so anything else is gravy.

Edit:

Contagion Clasp is brutal.  Was demolishing a guys green fatty board with Clasp, the tap artifact with counters, the 2 cc 1/1 infect guy that puts another counter on critters when it goes to the graveyard, and proliferate.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 02:06:51 PM by Johny Cee »
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: October 15, 2010, 01:41:55 PM

My Russian Foil Ratchet bomb (real) laughs at Elspeth and Koth in cost. I should really sell this thing.

I hate Scars.

Sell it before the price drops.

I pulled a foil Tormod's Crypt from Timespiral, which was going for about $100 on Ebay for a while.  Price plummeted once crazy Legacy/Vinatge players got their bling, though.
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: October 15, 2010, 02:20:29 PM

Yes yes and yes, if you have a foil bomb card SELL IT before the price dives unless you are really attached to it and then buy 2-4 copies of the card non-foil with it and have a playset.  I cracked a foil Fulminator Mage at that sets pre-release when that card was all the rage and ebayed it as soon as I got hom.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: October 15, 2010, 03:36:40 PM

Whelp, 4-0.  Guess I'll do another Prerelease before my fundraiser tomorrow.   awesome, for real
schild
Administrator

Reply #10 on: October 16, 2010, 07:35:25 AM

Foils like the ratchet bomb are better trade fodder in real life than the $20 I *might* get on Ebay.

Besides, something like 30% of my collection is foiled out, I'm not really rushing to sell any of that stuff. One of my EDH decks is like 60% foil. Suppose it could go higher if I wasn't running alpha lands.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: October 17, 2010, 09:36:39 AM

Well, prerelease 2 was a bomb with an 0-2 and out.  Not a great cardpool, which I mismanaged a bit when trying to put together a artifact/metalcraft deck. 

The only plus was it was free since I sold Koth for 32 tix... heh.  Pulled a Masticore as well.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: October 17, 2010, 09:54:05 AM

On Scars limited:

-Infect seems really, really, really strong.
-Removal light format, with most removal clustered in Red. 
-Seems fast.
-I haven't seen enough metalcraft to see if it is as strong as infect, though metalcraft seemed to have it's defenders in the prerelease chat rooms.
-High back end critters aren't good in this format.  Usually, they make good filler picks or stall cards to get yourself into a medium/long term game, but infect just wrecks them.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: October 20, 2010, 03:44:11 PM

Well, release events are live.  

On Round 3 of a Swiss with a BU infect/proliferate deck.  Round 1, I was run down by a BG infect deck that was just better at infecting than I was (I was in G for a while, but it was thin so went U).  Round 2, I ran down a R deck who didn't seem to have any business being in a tourney.

Edit:

Finished out my first draft 2-1.

Second draft, I get 2 Nim Deathmantles (equip that can reanimate critters), a pile of white an black removal, black infecters, and a contagion engine.

DRAFT INFECT.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 05:41:32 PM by Johny Cee »
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: October 22, 2010, 08:33:52 PM

Well.

This draft, pulled a Koth and got passed a Mox.  Guess my next 3 drafts are paid for.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: October 29, 2010, 12:31:35 PM

I've noticed people being extra-douchey this set.

I just had a guy whining that I'm lucky for getting 2 myrsmith...  despite the fact that he's playing with Venser the planeswalker.  Yeesh.

Good thing he didn't know about my 2 contagion clasps.   awesome, for real
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Magic: The Gathering Online  |  Topic: Scars of Mirrodin release  
Jump to: