Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:00:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Ultima Online  |  Topic: IPY Beta starts Nov. 1 - Can They Deliver? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: IPY Beta starts Nov. 1 - Can They Deliver?  (Read 49818 times)
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: October 20, 2010, 10:17:08 AM

Trammel stabilized the UO population, and is probably why it's even still running to this day.

The other stuff is stupid though, I'll give you that.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #36 on: October 20, 2010, 12:53:04 PM

Don't defend EA. Look what they have done to UO over the years. Trammel, Ninjas, elves, neon shit, stupid scrolls, other assorted horseshit.

Trammel we may have discussed once or twice in the past.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Ninjas and such? At least half (probably more) of their playerbase is Japanese and wanted that shit, and there's no real reason not to have a pseudo-Asia to go along with pseudo-Europe.

Elves are ghey.

Neon shit used to bother me more, but now that they've finally added inexpensive player-crafted dyes that work on anything it's not such a big deal. My black and red plate suit is tight, if some other tard wants to paint their armor purple and green then that's their damage.

Bitching about scrolls and stuff just sounds like "Waah something is different!"

Personally, I was most happy with the game around 2001/2002, post Publish 16 but prior to Age of Shadows, but meh.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: October 20, 2010, 12:55:32 PM

Ninjas and such? At least half (probably more) of their playerbase is Japanese and wanted that shit, and there's no real reason not to have a pseudo-Asia to go along with pseudo-Europe.

Plus there's always been an Asian-Britannian subculture in the Ultimas. I could totally dig up screenshots from them but meh. Unnecessary.

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Chinchilla
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: October 20, 2010, 04:28:18 PM

All I know is that I tried to log back into back during that time it was free and I couldn't.  I may still try the 14 day trail, but I doubt I will as Darkfall is running beautifully on my new PC and I don't want to have to pay for the stuff that EA has turned UO into.  I suppose Trammel may have stablized the population, but I can tell you what it did for me.  It made me go "Oh hell no" and leave once Felucca became a desert.

Chinchila - LaRoche Server, APB
Drahcir - 50 Captain/GM Weaponsmith, LoTRO Silverlode (Retired)
St Drahcir - 7xMage, UO Chesapeake (Retired)
Chinchilla Dakilla - Barbarian R50, Shadowbane (Retired)
jcthebuilder
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: October 20, 2010, 11:24:35 PM

From what I hear the Samurai Empire expansion was just as poorly received in Japan was it was here. It was purely a marketing driven expansion. Likely a panic move to try and appease a large number of players after so many were leaving due to Age of Shadows.
Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: October 21, 2010, 06:19:37 AM

Nevermind. I shouldn't let myself get trolled. ;)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 06:46:56 AM by Azaroth »

F  is inviting you to start Quarto. Do you want to Accept (Alt+C) or Decline (Alt+D) the invitation?

You have accepted the invitation to start Quarto.

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
where we pour milk on the stomach alien from total recall
Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: November 02, 2010, 08:52:14 AM

I don't think it will deliver. It will be competing with EA's official classic shard.

I could never hope to compete with glass swords and making everyone click "always daytime".

F  is inviting you to start Quarto. Do you want to Accept (Alt+C) or Decline (Alt+D) the invitation?

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: November 02, 2010, 10:02:11 AM

New shards/servers/whatever in MMOs will always do well as it's a new playing field for people to compete with a fresh economy.  It will start strong, I'm sure of that.  How well it sustains a population is all based on rule implementation.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
jcthebuilder
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: November 02, 2010, 02:02:13 PM

I could never hope to compete with glass swords and making everyone click "always daytime".
Way to separate Halloween content from the actual test shard.

It was just a bad time for a return. Shard of the Dead is currently the most popular EA shard at all times of the day, above Atlantic and Test Center. UO Gamers just launched their new classic shard and Angel Island is revamping to appeal to a larger audience. Is there really enough classic UO players out there to support 4 shards? I don't think so, especially if EA decides to offer classic UO for free.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #44 on: November 02, 2010, 03:33:50 PM

garble garble gurk garble

Good point, bro.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: November 02, 2010, 07:44:17 PM

NEED MOAR CHART

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
sinij
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: November 06, 2010, 07:58:10 PM

Trammel stabilized the UO population, and is probably why it's even still running to this day.

Trammel was the worst thing that happened to UO in its entire run. Yes, there was undeniable need for more and better protection of "non-combat" players, but way OSI segregated the world and in process completely tossed all checks and balances out of the window was nothing short of game-breaking.

Correct solution to "Trammel" problem was massively expanding guard zones around Brit, adding protected "new player" island and changing full looting to random equipped item + gold drop, modified by karma (so PKs and thieves drop more).
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 07:59:56 PM by sinij »

Eternity is a very long time, especially towards the end.
Xuri
Terracotta Army

몇살이세욬ㅋ 몇살이 몇살 몇살이세욬ㅋ!!!!!1!

Reply #47 on: November 06, 2010, 08:56:26 PM

Eh.

The correct solution to the "Trammel" problem would be to give PKs permanent death.  evil

-= Ho Eyo He Hum =-
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #48 on: November 06, 2010, 10:54:33 PM

The solution was to invent character transfers then instead of years later, carebearify the existing shards, and let anyone who didn't like it transfer to a designated gankfest shard.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: November 07, 2010, 01:57:08 AM

Correct solution to "Trammel" problem was massively expanding guard zones around Brit, adding protected "new player" island and changing full looting to random equipped item + gold drop, modified by karma (so PKs and thieves drop more).

Bandaid upon bandaid upon bandaid. No, the Trammel/Felucca split was just what UO needed, exactly what UO needed, because as a Counselor on the day it happened, I spent all day online, starting long before and ending hours after my designated shift, and I got so drunk off the distilled tears of PKs, I mean fucking wasted, every call to complain I took another drink and man I got shitfaced.

I must say that out of all the griefs that ever happened in MMOs, that was the greatest of them all, OSI griefing the PKs.

And the best part? The complaints keep coming, almost a decade later.

Thanks for the memories.  Heart

Chinchilla
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: November 07, 2010, 07:12:48 AM

I actually really likethese ideas instead of that Trammel crap.

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #51 on: November 07, 2010, 09:37:38 PM

http://inporylem.com/forum/showthread.php?215-LIST-OF-10-FEATURES-IN-10-WEEKS-%28aka-10-in-10-list%29

Link to IPY forum, with links to Az's blog about upcoming features and changes.

And oh yeah, sign up on the forums and message me for a guild group invite.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: November 10, 2010, 06:59:46 AM

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Chinchilla
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: December 04, 2010, 07:26:21 AM

Its been awfully quiet here.  Is that because everyone is online and gaming on this server or....?

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: December 06, 2010, 06:52:28 AM

Server is still in beta - when we get close I'll be making some noise and hoping for interest - we should have a strong guild at launch. You better join us Chin :)

dusematic
Terracotta Army

Diablo 3's Number One Fan

Reply #55 on: December 06, 2010, 07:18:47 AM

Bandaid upon bandaid upon bandaid. No, the Trammel/Felucca split was just what UO needed, exactly what UO needed, because as a Counselor on the day it happened, I spent all day online, starting long before and ending hours after my designated shift, and I got so drunk off the distilled tears of PKs, I mean fucking wasted, every call to complain I took another drink and man I got shitfaced.

genuine lol.
Chinchilla
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: December 10, 2010, 12:56:14 PM

Server is still in beta - when we get close I'll be making some noise and hoping for interest - we should have a strong guild at launch. You better join us Chin :)

Oh hells yeah I am.  I won't miss out on some PvP action!

Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: December 10, 2010, 01:04:47 PM

Me too me too. :) Still watching from the sidelines.

Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: December 17, 2010, 07:30:49 PM

Sidelines are fun.

But request beta if you want to help out. ;)

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #59 on: December 17, 2010, 08:03:01 PM

Sidelines are fun.

Working client for those of us on tech curve?  :)

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: December 17, 2010, 10:29:38 PM

Sidelines are fun.

Nyah, I do too much bug-hunting at work. >_< Otherwise I would.

Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: December 18, 2010, 07:55:04 AM

Sidelines are fun.

What's the issue you're having?

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
Chinchilla
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: December 18, 2010, 08:46:26 AM

Sidelines are fun.

I'm a little tech handicapped so is this bug testing something anyone can do?

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: December 18, 2010, 09:55:35 AM

Yeah Chin, just mess around in game and report any bad shit. PM Az on the IPY forums for access if you haven't already, and you'll get in when he decides :) Also they have certain times where events happen to test out stuff like O/C and pirates - they are good fun!

Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #64 on: December 18, 2010, 01:26:08 PM

Sidelines are fun.

What's the issue you're having?

Flickering.  I have Windows 7 64 bit edition.  I think I posted a bunch of the trouble shooting I did elsewhere on this thread.

Basically,  client won't stop flickering in full screen mode.  I did a ton of troubleshooting with your staff, scoured the interwebs, etc etc. 

Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: December 18, 2010, 02:14:26 PM

Yeah. As far as I can tell, this is a problem with the newest client. Did you ever try a version around 6.x.x or before?

7.x.x has had a lot of flickering/crashing problems.

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: December 18, 2010, 03:00:35 PM

http://emptunes.com/Clients.rar

This has several client.exe versions in one handy pack.

In the event you don't want to go download a whole new full client, try that first. Just copy and paste one into your UO directory.

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: December 23, 2010, 12:45:14 PM

Feh.

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
Chinchilla
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: December 23, 2010, 10:00:23 PM

FYI - I private msged ya for access to beta on the IPY forums.  I haven't checked yet to see if you invited me or read it.

Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: December 31, 2010, 07:10:43 AM

Just thought I'd mention this here:

http://inporylem.com/forum/showthread.php?533-In-Por-Ylem-High-Seas

IPY brings smooth boat movement to free shards.

Also, I would like to preemptively welcome JCTheBuilder back to this thread.

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Ultima Online  |  Topic: IPY Beta starts Nov. 1 - Can They Deliver?  
Jump to: