Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:59:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Job thread 0 Members and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 116 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Job thread  (Read 1002958 times)
Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #1575 on: July 28, 2014, 12:20:43 PM

Sounds like trying to find a date.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1576 on: July 28, 2014, 02:31:59 PM

Manners don't pay bills and/ or get other work done. Welcome to the disposable side of the equation, where the rest of the working world has been for decades.  If the title isn't Manager or higher, you're a peon you're not getting a call back.

Wait until the wages start shrinking with everyone else's. Then you'll be in for a real treat.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #1577 on: July 29, 2014, 08:19:00 AM

I don't think it is the level of the job that matters.  I have been passed over for senior positions and the headhunter just goes absolutely silent.  If HR/recruiter isn't maintaining a dialogue with you, then you are likely not in the running.

I have never played WoW.
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #1578 on: July 30, 2014, 05:53:11 PM

Woo. Starting in August I will be middle management.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1579 on: July 30, 2014, 06:17:43 PM

Congrats!

Come for the increased responsibility, stay for the inability to enact change!

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #1580 on: July 30, 2014, 07:54:03 PM

I got a 20% increase today, which is awesome. 
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1581 on: July 31, 2014, 04:07:54 AM

That is pretty awesome.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #1582 on: August 01, 2014, 06:30:36 AM

I just realized that one of the team leads I work with sounds exactly like Claptrap from Borderlands. I can't not think of it now when I see him.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #1583 on: August 01, 2014, 07:43:14 AM

tell him his next performance bonus depends on his ability to produce a claptrap costume to wear to work..

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #1584 on: August 01, 2014, 06:59:45 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if that was his forum avatar somewhere.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #1585 on: August 04, 2014, 06:54:53 PM

Sweet cool my job is awesome; my officemate's cancer came back (very early stage 2, managable but initial pill-chemo and surgery missed a tiny bit) so he's doing the really awful fullblown chemo now meaning he's gonna be out for like 3 months even if he says he's going to try and be in (he won't, chemo is really bad and I wouldn't fault him for staying home).

We take care of many schools in the university and I'm on a team taking care of a school we took over a couple years ago. We're JUST now finishing moving them off their old shitty domain. Semester is starting in 3 weeks. The original team who had been there for years has been slowly rotated out to save their sanity (they were working 80+ hour weeks before we took over because the college fucked them over and understaffed them horribly), and the last guy who has been in charge of getting all the labs set up this summer has been forcefully rotated out since he was seen as dragging his feet.

So both of these guys' shit has been dumped on me. I haven't been involved in any of the lab shit, welp it's mine. I hadn't been involved in my officemate's stuff, but welp it's mine now too.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
brellium
Terracotta Army

Reply #1586 on: August 07, 2014, 01:38:06 PM

Actually, the worst is when this happens with internal positions.  True story.
I got a worse internal one, "I'm out of the office for two weeks, if you have any questions please forward them to me then."

‎"One must see in every human being only that which is worthy of praise. When this is done, one can be a friend to the whole human race. If, however, we look at people from the standpoint of their faults, then being a friend to them is a formidable task."
—‘Abdu’l-Bahá
Brofellos
Terracotta Army

Reply #1587 on: August 07, 2014, 01:53:49 PM

Going thru the wonderful cycle of life known as law firm recruiting. Can't quite figure out whether I'm rushing a fraternity or trying to get a job
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #1588 on: August 07, 2014, 02:31:25 PM

Going thru the wonderful cycle of life known as law firm recruiting. Can't quite figure out whether I'm rushing a fraternity or trying to get a job

Both. Then they paddle the shit out of you for 2 years.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #1589 on: August 09, 2014, 07:37:17 PM

So I've been in Mexico since about mid-July, and it's not bad so far. We have brand new facilities, my staff is nice and competant, and in Monterrey the water is drinkable!

On the downside, I've spent less than two weeks in the office in that time - I got here right as we moved to our new facilities, I had to go to a largely-useless conference in Veracruz, and then I ended up in the hospital for two days to undergo minor surgury to remove a kidney stone.

SUPER FUN.

On the bright side, it was the nicest hospital I've ever been in. And now I'm going back to DC on Monday for another conference. Not only should this one actually be useful, but it also allows me to take a different one of my lady friends out to dinner each night (better than room service).

It has been a weird month or so.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1590 on: August 11, 2014, 06:57:56 AM

it also allows me to take a different one of my lady friends out to dinner each night (better than room service).

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #1591 on: August 11, 2014, 09:01:56 AM

That's pretty much it - I get to have dinner with a different pretty girl each night. And even if they weren't, it still beats the awkward feeling of going out to dinner alone.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #1592 on: August 12, 2014, 05:52:38 AM

How come you never take ME out to dinner anymore, huh?
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #1593 on: August 15, 2014, 02:39:40 PM

My boss and the network manager (that's 40% of the IT department) are both leaving, leaving me as the only person with any real historical knowledge of anything on the infrastructure side of IT. I think it might be time to ask for a raise.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1594 on: August 15, 2014, 06:36:22 PM

You must work someplace that knows the value of legacy knowledge. All of our department is at 1 year or less with the exception of the new lead, a Director, who fell-into the lead job after the VP moved back to Colorado.  He makes less than $80k a year and was amazed when I showed him the salaries some other local folks make.  awesome, for real

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1595 on: August 16, 2014, 06:38:43 AM

Wow, you have five IT people!?  What's it like to have support?

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1596 on: August 16, 2014, 06:43:00 AM

And how many folks are you supporting with those 5?

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1597 on: August 18, 2014, 07:11:11 AM

The commoditization of IT is now.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1598 on: August 18, 2014, 10:26:13 AM

By "now" you mean 4-5 years ago, right?

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1599 on: August 18, 2014, 10:47:22 AM

It's ongoing.  Not getting any less so.  In fact, The Cloud is kicking IT in the ass over that cliff.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #1600 on: August 18, 2014, 11:01:50 AM

Yeah a lot of what I do now is managing all those cloud services.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1601 on: August 18, 2014, 11:13:34 AM

This is why I'm application support and development. Things I support I need to be on site for, because nobody's waiting 2 hours for a call in to Autodesk that tells them "turn it off turn it back on" or "I have no idea what your problem is because it's environment specific. You'll need to discuss with your on site manager."

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1602 on: August 18, 2014, 11:15:00 AM

I think we can replace you with an automation suite.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #1603 on: August 18, 2014, 12:05:19 PM

That's pretty much it - I get to have dinner with a different pretty girl each night. And even if they weren't, it still beats the awkward feeling of going out to dinner alone.

I'm booking the next flight to whereveryouare.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1604 on: August 18, 2014, 12:26:56 PM

I think we can replace you with an automation suite.

The automation suite would kill itself after the 3rd time someone came to it with the EXACT SAME PROBLEM three weeks in a row that was fixed by a reboot. Every. Time.  awesome, for real

Then there's the fun ones like trying to explain to graphics designers that a 15gb .pdf file will not print instantaneously and, no, you shouldn't just kill the process because you decided it was taking too long and was my problem when it didn't spool as fast as your 5kb Word document.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1605 on: August 18, 2014, 02:05:35 PM

Robots don't have feelings (it's true) and many user-layer issues can be "fixed" with flashy images and obfuscation.  Plus, meat workers can argue with a digital worker all they like and it won't shed a tear.  Is it a machine or some guy in Pune?  We'll never tell!

Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #1606 on: August 18, 2014, 04:08:58 PM

Monday is D day.  After months of waiting on HR got a call on Thursday asking if I could show up the upcoming Monday.

No.

Agreed to 2 weeks if relo processed swiftly.  It did, so off I go to a new adventure!

What a long, strange trip things have been.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #1607 on: August 18, 2014, 05:42:42 PM

Be brave, Ched.  The South is a strange new land.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1608 on: August 18, 2014, 07:26:05 PM

Robots don't have feelings (it's true) and many user-layer issues can be "fixed" with flashy images and obfuscation.  Plus, meat workers can argue with a digital worker all they like and it won't shed a tear.  Is it a machine or some guy in Pune?  We'll never tell!

I'd sob but my approach was reaffirmed today when the guy taking y'alls approach was torn-apart in a user meeting while I had praises sung.  awesome, for real

Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #1609 on: August 19, 2014, 03:00:07 AM

The South is a strange new land.
I moved a few hours away from where Ched's going and I'll second this.  Although it's nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be, it's definitely a different place.
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 116 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Job thread  
Jump to: