Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 05:45:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: Hacker deserves your account more than you do. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hacker deserves your account more than you do.  (Read 6265 times)
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

on: August 10, 2010, 07:03:24 PM

Or so a friend-of-a-friend of mine was supposedly told by CCP. He had played for a couple months, years ago. Just recently he tries to come back but his password doesn't work. Gets hold of CS, gets told someone else has taken over the account. Then he gets told that this person has been playing it for 3 years and has invested enough time/money that they're letting him keep it. They didn't even offer the original account owner a new account creation code. He's gotta go buy a new box/account if he wanted to play again.

Assuming this guy isn't making shit up about the CS department of a game he played years ago and barely cares about... what the fuuuuck?

I'll try to get a copy of the email if the dude still has it.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 07:09:16 PM

It sounds like CCP. I swear they can't be this good at trolling their user-base by accident.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 07:23:25 PM

3 years is a long time to dig back to in order to verify many needed facts. Surprised on the reimbursement part though since their support department hands out free gametime like candy if you for instance don't want to resub because of completely unfounded rumors of the game sucking much ass in its current state.

Often the "hacker" is actually some dude he gave his account to because this game was boring as shit when starting out but now he wants his account back, because he made it's his goddamnyou.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 07:27:22 PM

Nah, I think CCP takes non-active accounts and sells them themselves.  I know there's no way someone got both my login and my PW for my EVE account, but last time I tried to reup it was taken over by someone else.  I still had the sales e-mail and everything, so they had no real choice but to give me the acct back, but they weren't exactly speedy or gracious about it.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 07:31:01 PM

I would love to get an account with 3 years of training and stuff on it for free. Haven't changed my passwords ever, but no one has yet played the internet spaceship game eve online on my behalf.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 07:38:06 PM

Yes, getting my account back to find they'd finished Gallente Battleship training and had outfitted a missioning Raven for me on top of the 300mil was nice.  I'd only had a few Minnie BS's and 150 mil before that.  Makes me wish I'd waited another 3-4 months to get back into it. Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
patience
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 09:04:29 AM

Yes, getting my account back to find they'd finished Gallente Battleship training and had outfitted a missioning Raven for me on top of the 300mil was nice.  I'd only had a few Minnie BS's and 150 mil before that.  Makes me wish I'd waited another 3-4 months to get back into it. Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

*rubs palms together* Time to look at many of my alt accounts I haven't touched in years.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

OP is assuming its somewhat of a design-goal of eve to make players happy.
this is however not the case.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 11:53:07 AM

I'll get them forwarded and post them if anyone cares, but I've seen the CCP emails in person and it's exactly as it was described to me. Except they use the term "the account information changed" instead of "was hacked" even though the customer was explicitly going "WTF where did my account go?"

The funny thing is, he doesn't really give a shit and wouldn't have cared if they gave him a brand new empty account to subscribe. But he didn't even get that, and would need to buy a new box (or whatever) to play again.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 11:56:40 AM

I wonder what the rate is for people selling their account for cash and then petitioning to get it back.
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #9 on: August 16, 2010, 12:04:06 PM

Anyone that buys for cash should be using the Character transfer thingy for 20 bucks.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Nefar
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: August 17, 2010, 01:56:38 PM

I spent three days in petitions with CCP a couple weeks ago to get my accounts back.  They grilled me about everything, it was utterly ridicules.    You really expect people to remember their 'character' names after a couple years.  They finally gave my accounts back to me after I simply said I was tired of the run around and it wasn't worth all this to get my '5 days free' comeback. 
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: August 17, 2010, 07:01:22 PM

I'd be quite interested in seeing this email myself. Not that I doubt the story or anything.
Stabs
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: August 20, 2010, 11:10:39 AM

I spent three days in petitions with CCP a couple weeks ago to get my accounts back.  They grilled me about everything, it was utterly ridicules.    You really expect people to remember their 'character' names after a couple years.  They finally gave my accounts back to me after I simply said I was tired of the run around and it wasn't worth all this to get my '5 days free' comeback. 

Was your GM Brandon Sanderson? He uses the exact same plot in WoT.
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: August 21, 2010, 08:09:39 AM

Just to back up what's been said here, I mentioned on this board or War that I couldn't remember how to spell the name of my characters and someone from here (thanks unknown benefactor) put in a petition for me and CCP sent me the name of my logged in char. I logged in but not much was happening but with the latest newbie drive I may find myself coming back. I'm a sucker for the people from here who play, not the game itself.

Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: August 31, 2010, 09:05:54 AM

I got a phishing e-mail today under the title "EVE Online - Acco‏‏unt‏‏ Info‏‏ Mo‏‏dified No‏‏t‏‏ice". Just a heads up.
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: September 03, 2010, 08:47:45 PM

I got a phishing e-mail today under the title "EVE Online - Acco‏‏unt‏‏ Info‏‏ Mo‏‏dified No‏‏t‏‏ice". Just a heads up.

Shit, they have doing this on WoW for weeks, they got around to Eve now?
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: September 04, 2010, 08:08:36 AM

Shit, they have doing this on WoW for weeks, they got around to Eve now?

Weeks?  Its been going on for much longer, esp. since everyone had to switch to battle.net accounts, which use an email address as the log in name instead of a user created name.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: Hacker deserves your account more than you do.  
Jump to: