Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 08:35:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: Tranquility to merge with Serenity (falsehood itt) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tranquility to merge with Serenity (falsehood itt)  (Read 4553 times)
Gets
Terracotta Army

on: August 05, 2010, 07:34:33 AM

http://news.mmosite.com/content/2010-08-05/cgdc_2010_eve_onlines_chinese_server_to_be_merged_with_its_world_server.shtml

At CGDC 2010 (Game Developers Conference) held in Shanghai, China, Hilmar V. Petursson, CEO of CCP Games, disclosed a crazy plan that they would connect the Chinese server of EVE Online with its world server in the future to make all EVE Online players throughout the world gather together.

This is another huge localization step of CCP Games, following its Shanghai Studio.
When speaking of the game's localization, Hilmar said, to make EVE Online better accepted by Chinese players, their development team has put much energy into its localization work, for example, on the character creation interface, they have added some oriental-style faces, costumes and more options for players to choose from and provided localized support including style, fashion, technology, etc., aiming to make EVE Online become the largest world-class single-server game in history.

According to Hilmar Petursson, this plan will provide an opportunity for Chinese players and other players in the world to compete with each other in a same place and make them enjoy better gaming services.

The probabilities of things going tits up with this plan are astronomical. How this is going to occur is a mystery, but it most likely has to do with Dust 514. Still, if done right, the Eve universe as we know it will experience what it's like to kill Einstein and suddenly realize a whole new power to reckon with. What I've learned about the Chinese server is that it's very different. Zerozero is one large non-aggression pact, more similar to Darkfall, as opposed to the geographical polarization that we all know.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 11:18:28 AM by Gets »
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 07:38:02 AM

How will that work with anything that's a binary resource like say... sov or moons or whatever?

I take comfort in the fact that CCP have a great track record of thinking stuff like this through and putting in place robust plans before they implemehuaoprkjhekrhybkljhfjkgh

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 07:49:31 AM

Considering the facts that CCP always wants to get more players into 0.0 and low-sec and Serenity itself has seen a large decline in player numbers, to the point where no one does invention and everyone rolls around in T1 battleships. They're also still at Apocrapha; if they only knew their luck. A server merger makes sense.

Also, they have previously pulled an entire region, Black Rise, out of their norse ass. I would put my kredits on them telling the chinamen and japsuleers that they're going to put them all in a new part of space in Tranquility and just deal with it. Maybe even multiple regions - one high-sec/lowsec and one 0.0, all with kawaii system names.

lac
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 07:50:32 AM

"Connect" seems to be the keyword. It doesn't have to be a merge.
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 08:39:27 AM

What happened in Shadowbane was that each server split along Racial lines once the Chinese invaded.

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 10:08:58 AM

Ahaha this is going to be hilarious.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 11:05:05 AM

http://www.eveonline.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=1364317&page=2#49

Quote from: CCP Wrangler
As mentioned, there was a bit of an misunderstanding here, while it would be interesting to merge these servers if it was technologically and legally possible, it is not something we're currently planning on doing.

Seems we got trolled. I would have welcomed our new Chinese overlords :(

Sparky
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 11:25:58 AM

According to kugu.com they overwhelmingly fight in T1 shit and traditional battleship blobs are still the mainstay of 0.0 warfare so really it's a mercy they didn't get merged.  But they're still on Apocrypha so we totally missed out.  Cry
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 03:10:41 PM

There are also far fewer of them.  The entire Serenity population might be smaller than the NC.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 05:03:50 PM

With Serenity being a shining example they got very lucky that a community solidified on tranquility. It so easily could have gone that way if they hadn't achieved a sort of critical mass of player activity.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: August 05, 2010, 05:54:04 PM

Critical mass of interesting player activity, since it's the players who provide the content.  I (vaguely) remember the antics of a few alliances, and a bunch of pirates in Yulai; it's almost as if the bugs and exploits are what made the game interesting.  Server population numbers still go up and down based on major wars happening...

Considering that, I guess it's a compliment, to us.  Apparently we're awesome and inventive.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: August 05, 2010, 11:32:11 PM

No, no. The success of EVE like all MMO successes is due purely to the wisdom, brilliance and creativity of its devs. I'll never understand why none of them ever seem to be able to do it twice in a row.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: Tranquility to merge with Serenity (falsehood itt)  
Jump to: