Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:35:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Sherlock (BBC One) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sherlock (BBC One)  (Read 12105 times)
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

on: July 26, 2010, 05:10:52 PM

Has anybody watched the premiere?

It's basically House p.i. and I mean this in an entirely positive way. Created by Stephen Moffat. First episode was brilliant.

Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 08:33:54 PM

Fun stuff, I'll tune in again next week. I'm a sucker for Sherlock Holmes and aside from Downey Jnr and Guy Ritchie's stab at the property, there hasn't exactly been a whole lot of it around for some time. Got to say, though - Moffat does like his odd looking lead actors. Not entirely surprising for a man with a LEGO mini-fig head, but there you go. Cue the Moffat/Gatiss haters.

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 12:08:40 AM

I must say however that the "brilliant but socially inept" trope get's a little old. I liked it a lot.
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 10:39:38 AM

I liked it a fair amount, but I'm really hoping they don't turn this into Dexter.  They're playing off the sociopath angle a bit hard.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 10:42:06 AM

I must say however that the "brilliant but socially inept" trope get's a little old. I liked it a lot.

To be fair, Arthur Conan Doyle pretty much invented (at least perfected) the trope with Sherlock Holmes so claiming that as a fault seems a bit much.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 10:51:04 PM

Since, according to the creators, House was designed after Sherlock Holmes, Holmes being basically House p.i. shouldn't be too shocking  awesome, for real

Will look into the series, thanks for the heads-up.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 01:54:48 AM

That was a solid start.  Looking forward to more.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 04:00:32 AM

Martin Freeman is a great choice for Watson, couple of minor plot holes but very enjoyable.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #8 on: July 28, 2010, 06:38:56 AM

Yea, I'm a big Martin Freeman fan, and I have to say I really enjoyed this.

Loving the assistant girl as well. "Bye bye"

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: July 28, 2010, 06:56:04 AM

That was - for me - the most hilarious scene by far. I mean who else would hit on the Assistant of the guy that just threatened and intimidated you.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: July 28, 2010, 02:48:17 PM

Just watched.  Was Good.

Makes one wonder about why writing on Who was so fucking bad this season if they can polish Holmes for a modern audience.

Assistant was hawt as fuck.  Princess Bride references awesome.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: July 28, 2010, 04:41:40 PM

That was really good. Like others have said it's a detective House but House was a medical Sherlock Holmes, I think they did a good job of capturing Holmes and Watson. The fact that Watson's backstory is pretty much the same is kind of cool and sort of sad (he's still a doctor who saw action in Afghanistan).

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: July 28, 2010, 04:50:58 PM

That was really good. Like others have said it's a detective House but House was a medical Sherlock Holmes, I think they did a good job of capturing Holmes and Watson. The fact that Watson's backstory is pretty much the same is kind of cool and sort of sad (he's still a doctor who saw action in Afghanistan).

Really? I didn't know that was his story in the original version too. That is kind of sad.

I thought this was a lot of fun. I don't have high hopes of BBC drama any more so it was nice to be proved wrong with this one.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #13 on: August 02, 2010, 03:13:18 AM

2nd episode, still good but dialogue is a bit off sometimes and it's trying too hard to be obviously funny at points.
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: August 15, 2010, 01:22:50 PM

Um, what? I was looking forward to episode four today (to find out how the cliffhangar at the end of episode three is resolved!) and it seems the entire season is only three episodes. This isn't a break like American shows have, just a very short run. Hopefully the second season will be a little longer.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #15 on: August 17, 2010, 12:19:12 PM

2nd episode, still good but dialogue is a bit off sometimes and it's trying too hard to be obviously funny at points.

It didn't help that the cabbie really reminded me of Ronnie Corbett.

Otherwise, I quite enjoyed it. Seriously though, what the fuck is it with British TV and completely random season lengths? I thought Misfits was bad enough at only six episodes.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: August 19, 2010, 06:15:18 AM

Each episode was about 1.5 hours so you could argue you've got a nine episode length of writing in there. Ending episode three on a massive cliffhanger seemed a bit odd though, unless it's part of Moffat's scheme to guarantee getting a second season. I really enjoyed it though, I think giving it a second season might be enough to have gotten a reasonable fill of modern Holmes. At least it definitely feels too short and I think another run might be enough to feel complete, any more after that would be icing on top.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #17 on: August 19, 2010, 06:34:44 AM

Non standard season lengths make perfect sense, producers will always by limited by budget, time and the amount of suitable content.  Having a set number is odd because canned and lower quality episodes lower the overall standard.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: August 20, 2010, 02:13:02 AM

Each episode was about 1.5 hours so you could argue you've got a nine episode length of writing in there. Ending episode three on a massive cliffhanger seemed a bit odd though, unless it's part of Moffat's scheme to guarantee getting a second season. I really enjoyed it though, I think giving it a second season might be enough to have gotten a reasonable fill of modern Holmes. At least it definitely feels too short and I think another run might be enough to feel complete, any more after that would be icing on top.

It was his Richenbach Falls Ending.

You all didn't know that ?

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #19 on: August 20, 2010, 01:02:40 PM

So this is set in the modern era or something?

How does the acting stack up to the Jeremy Brett version?

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: August 20, 2010, 01:18:51 PM

Very much updated, the acting's good provided you don't mind Holmes being a cross between the new Doctor and House. I'd say it's definitely worth setting some time aside to watch if you enjoy Holmes.

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: May 22, 2011, 12:38:45 PM

Necro.

Caught the first season (3 episodes) on Netflix streaming last night.

Really liked it, especially Watson. Looking forward to the second three episodes when they show up.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: May 22, 2011, 12:54:41 PM

According to Moffat Twitter, it's almost finished filming.

So, we ought to see it soon.

Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: May 22, 2011, 02:18:36 PM

Oh thar's the thread for Sherlock!

I too saw this recently. Really liked it. I didn't make the connection that updated Watson saw service in Afghanistan, just like the original. (I remembered the original was in the military, but not Afghanistan. Oh history.)

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: May 23, 2011, 06:04:07 AM

We saw it on Mystery last summer. I quite enjoyed it, my partner somewhat less so.

If I had a criticism, I'm not sure if it's just the arrogant know it all archetype or seeing Moffat's hand in both series, but honestly, I kept expecting Holmes to go back to the Tardis, not his apartment.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
cironian
Terracotta Army

play his game!: solarwar.net

Reply #25 on: January 05, 2012, 02:48:47 PM

Arise!

Second season just started, and the first episode is amazingly good.
Llyse
Terracotta Army

Calvin and Hobbes are back to maul the fuck outta you.

Reply #26 on: January 06, 2012, 01:05:22 PM

Sweet... I know what I'll be watching Sunday night. Ohhhhh, I see.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: January 06, 2012, 03:53:40 PM

Someone wake me in 8 months when we get to watch it on this side of the pond :(

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: January 09, 2012, 01:31:19 PM

Arise!

Yes.

Dammit.

Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: January 09, 2012, 01:34:27 PM

Arise!

Yes.

Dammit.

Does it burn to complement the Moffat?   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: January 09, 2012, 01:50:55 PM

Only in the sense that it reinforces for me that he can do it well when he's not in charge and therefore allowed to go completely off the fucking rails.

Though the wife hated the ending.

tar
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: January 12, 2012, 05:13:16 AM

About halfway through Scandal I was thinking 'Hmm, this is looking like a confused mess. Not good.' but apparently that was intentional! Worked out well in the end.

Baskerville one... yeah not so much. Still enjoyed it but by comparison to Scandal I don't think it worked as well.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: January 12, 2012, 05:27:05 AM

No, it was a little weaker and there were a couple of potential plot holes that were only narrowly missed.  Also, the tour guide looked too much like Moriarty.

But I do love the casting in this.  The two leads are so strong and such a joy to watch it's frightening.

tar
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: January 12, 2012, 08:10:02 AM

This is true. I can't think of anyone who'd do a better job than those two.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: January 23, 2012, 08:23:42 PM

Someone wake me in 8 months when we get to watch it on this side of the pond :(

I just noticed on the PBS site for Masterpiece that the first episode of the second series is set to air on 5/6/12 here in the U.S.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Sherlock (BBC One)  
Jump to: