Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 02:15:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: Winter Event - get the xp while it's hot 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Winter Event - get the xp while it's hot  (Read 4610 times)
eldaec
Terracotta Army

on: January 23, 2005, 03:13:49 PM

Snowmen seem to be ramping up pretty heavily now.

In case anyone who plays this is unaware. All the hazard zones are spawning Giant Monster snowmen continuously.

I've just taken a character from level 12 to 18 in 5 hours in perez park.

It's actually a pretty fun form of pling. There must be about 50 people (all levels, giant monster mechanics mean level is unimportant) in PP on Victory right now. They all fight a snowman together (no whining about killstealing or mob ownership either), get 1-2k xp each, and then scatter to the four winds; until a few minutes later someone yells 'WL at suchandsuch' and everyone charges in and wipes the newly spawned monster; rinse and repeat until you've levelled half a dozen times.

I was getting 1-2k xp every few minutes.

You can get slightly more per kill in some of the other zones, as there are less hunters to share with, but pp seems to have the best and most fun combination of population, proximity of spawn points, and lack of interference from the native villian population.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: January 24, 2005, 07:47:29 AM

Was killing them in Faultline last night. Had 2 groups competing and was getting like 500-1000 exp per kill. The other group left when they wiped out, and so we had it all to ourselves, I went from 18 to 20 in about 30 minutes.  Was getting 2188 exp per kill.

I really like how they have done the group dynamics for these encounters. You can group with anyone. The mob hits you like it is a purple more 3 levels above you, and you hit it like you are 3 levels under it is my understanding.

I have to be getting fairly close to the 100 snowman mark, but I am torn between doing them tonight or the synapse taskforce.

Xilren's Twin

Reply #2 on: January 25, 2005, 08:26:42 PM

That WAS fun!  Took my lvl 30 guy into perez and saw the same thing. About 10-15 people stomping winter lords and their minions.  The giant monster code for allowing everyone to help was nicely done.  

Good exp, temp snowball power, present inspirations, badges..

Man i hope future game designers are taking notes.

Just the abilitiy to use temp powers alone for X times, or 2 hours or, 12 days! for fun and profit just has to go in other games.

Xilren

"..but I'm by no means normal." - Schild
AOFanboi
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: January 26, 2005, 02:41:10 AM

I hope Cryptic are taking notes, too. Lots of complaints on the official forums about players focusing on powerleveling using the Winter Lords, so that whenever the Lords go away you'll have level 20+ noob players with a couple of badges to their name and too little influence to slot up to usefulness. CoH will become Beggar City in no time: "Need inf for SO plz!"

But, yesh, it is fun to fight them.

Current: Mario Kart DS, Nintendogs
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: January 26, 2005, 07:40:37 AM

I wish there was a way to turn off exp gain, doing the 100 snowmen for the badge would easily get me 100 levels on some of my lower chars.

I really hate to miss out on the story arcs and such.

shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #5 on: January 26, 2005, 08:33:37 AM

Quote from: AOFanboi
I hope Cryptic are taking notes, too. Lots of complaints on the official forums about players focusing on powerleveling using the Winter Lords, so that whenever the Lords go away you'll have level 20+ noob players with a couple of badges to their name and too little influence to slot up to usefulness. CoH will become Beggar City in no time: "Need inf for SO plz!"

But, yesh, it is fun to fight them.

Yeah because actually letting players have fun and level at the same time is so wrong. If you are one of these complainers, you are a dick with cheese.

I have never played WoW.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: January 26, 2005, 09:10:40 AM

Level 24 in 4 hours is a bit crazy. Some of the spawns are pretty packed given how insane the exp is. Was getting a lot of double spawns yesterday, there is a lot of speculation the event is nearing its end.

I wish the option was there all the time to level this fast and nice, not just for this event.

Xilren's Twin

Reply #7 on: January 26, 2005, 12:20:32 PM

Quote from: Furiously
I wish there was a way to turn off exp gain, doing the 100 snowmen for the badge would easily get me 100 levels on some of my lower chars.

I really hate to miss out on the story arcs and such.

I believe in an upcoming update they are going to allow characters to backtrack and do story arcs after they have out leveled them similar to exemplaring.

Xilren

"..but I'm by no means normal." - Schild
AOFanboi
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: January 26, 2005, 02:44:56 PM

Quote from: shiznitz
Yeah because actually letting players have fun and level at the same time is so wrong. If you are one of these complainers, you are a dick with cheese.

If "fun" is defined as ignoring 99% of a game to repeatedly attack one creature type...

Well, I am not complaining. I just shrug at their narrowly focused minigame, and will /ignore the inevitable post-WL whiners. In fact, I /ignore the most WL-team spamming players already. The WLs are very nice when you have debt or want to level before venturing on a "you still don't know if there's a boss" mission, though.

Current: Mario Kart DS, Nintendogs
ClydeJr
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: January 27, 2005, 01:46:51 PM

Ponds, lakes, and standing water are frozen on the test server:

Platinum Lake in Steel Canyon

Perez Park river
Azhrarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: January 27, 2005, 03:07:38 PM

I've been alterrnating between doing a set of 3 missions or so and then a few winterlords.  Outlevelling Story Arcs annoys me to no end, and I level fast enough right now (at 23) just going through the content.  I already outlevelled Positron and the Hollow's Transcendence trial from doing missions.  Although I can exemplar down later.  I think I may have outlevelled Synapse as well.

I came here to be drugged, electrocuted, and probed.  Not insulted! - H.S.
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #11 on: January 27, 2005, 11:47:04 PM

I'm having a blast.  It's sort of a scavenger hunt style of gameplay.

Got my Warshade to 20 pretty quick thanks to this.  As for ignoring the rest of the game or begging for influence:
a) I've done every below 30 mission in the game at least once
b) I've got /plenty/ of influence to split among my characters, my main has over 30 million
c) This is fun and fast. Rewarding people for knowing their way around (or learning it) and being good at getting around is good.  It can't last, but it's fun for now.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Mesozoic
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: January 28, 2005, 08:57:01 AM

I'm just happy to see a game with relevant, interesting events that aren't attached to an obligatory, annual $29.99 expansion.  Its a fine line between event-specific mobs that are ignored for being too hard / too little XP and those which are seen as XP cows.  I prefer that they err on the side of generosity.  It keeps people interested and ensures that the work doesn't go to waste.  

I suspect that having gotten out the elite ATs and with CoV and PvP both approaching, Cryptic is less worried about fast leveling than many other companies.  Thats a good thing.

...any religion that rejects coffee worships a false god.
-Numtini
Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: January 28, 2005, 10:04:09 AM

This has been the most fun I've had in CoH in a long time -- BECAUSE of the fast levelling -- I get my kicks in CoH from the fast combat and the new power sets -- I got my defender from 6 to 15 last night in just about 3 hours, if that. I've finally gotten to play with some powers I've never seen before.

If the first 20 levels always went this fast, I'd play CoH a lot more often. And I've done the first 20 levels and the associated storylines more than enough times....

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
"A world without Vin Diesel is sad." -- me
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: January 28, 2005, 10:57:57 AM

I really wish there was a turn off exp gain button. That is all.

Glazius
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: January 28, 2005, 12:22:18 PM

I really wish there was a turn off exp gain button. That is all.

There is.

Only it's called "Exemplar", and somebody else has to press it for you.

--GF
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: January 28, 2005, 12:50:18 PM

Don't they have to be lower level then you too?

Glazius
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: January 28, 2005, 06:21:56 PM

Don't they have to be lower level then you too?

Well, yeah.

About three levels below is the threshold, I think, so you're going to go without some powers for a little.

Better than not being able to enhance any at all, though, right?

--GF
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: Winter Event - get the xp while it's hot  
Jump to: