Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:27:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: Some medium term direction (noob) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Some medium term direction (noob)  (Read 32937 times)
Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #105 on: August 12, 2010, 11:54:57 AM

Plates are stacking penalized, they are just not stacking penalized in the same method as other things.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #106 on: August 12, 2010, 02:07:27 PM

Please explain.
Vedi
Terracotta Army

Reply #107 on: August 12, 2010, 02:44:08 PM

Well, if you have X EHP and a plate adds X, you double your EHP. But your fifth plate would only add 20%.

However, if resistance mods weren't stacking penalized, they would work the other way around. If you had 50% resists, and added a 10% resist mod, your EHP would go up by 20%. However, adding the fourth would increase EHP by 100%, and adding a fifth would make you immune.

So, without stacking penalities, you would get increasing marginal value for each resistance module, but decreasing marginal value for each plate. Since they add a static number of HP, the value marginal value of each can be said to decrease naturally, i.e. a sort of natural stacking penalty.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #108 on: August 12, 2010, 03:00:31 PM

So you're saying that a mod that adds the exact same benefit each time it's used is stacking penalized?  I see.

Whereas resistance mods have two separate penalties, in the form of the actual stacking penalty and the fact that they only effect the percentage of the remaining difference between resists and damage done.
Vedi
Terracotta Army

Reply #109 on: August 12, 2010, 03:41:49 PM

Well, calling it a "stacking penalty" is perhaps odd, I agree. But the marginal value of adding a plate arguably decrease with each plate naturally.

To achieve such a decreasing marginal value with resistance mods, you do need some kind of stacking penalty mechanism, although of course the dual mechanism gurantees that adding a second resistance mod of the same type will always give you less extra EHP (in absolute terms) than the first one. You can very well argue that this is overdoing it. I guess the reason is to balance out that adding EHP via resistance mods increase the effective repair rates of reppers, while plates do not provide this benefit.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #110 on: August 12, 2010, 07:45:17 PM

Whereas shields stack nicely because you can use the total shield HP via their innate or boosted regeneration.

Did the level 3 version of "The Blockade". That's a mission with a pretty awesome number of opponents especially if you can't tell which is the trigger and pop it early. Rather lucrative though at about 4.5 million in isk in bounties alone.

The game giving you lots of random drops and unlimited storage space has given complete freedom to my pack-rat nature. So I have a "base" with some station containers full of salvage, ammo and random ship gear. But at the same time most of it's probably never going to get used. I'm tempted to keep everything that's an immediate upgrade or current gear, reprocess everything meta 0 (and maybe manufacture consumables like ammo?) but am not sure if it's generally better to sell or reprocess named items... I guess it varies a lot. I'll store salvage though, making your own rigs is a decent saving. I think it's the first game where every item can be turned back into resources which can make more items.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Gets
Terracotta Army

Reply #111 on: August 12, 2010, 07:48:25 PM

You'll be amazed of how many people sell ammo below mineral value because ~their time is free~
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #112 on: August 12, 2010, 07:50:20 PM

Rule of thumb is to keep or sell meta 3 items and recycle the rest and sell the ore. Your mileage may vary. I would certainly suggest junking meta 1 and 0.

Hic sunt dracones.
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #113 on: August 13, 2010, 04:21:34 AM

You'll be amazed of how many people sell ammo below mineral value because ~their time is free~
  When I made my own ammo I usually just parked an industrial in a high sec belt and watched movies.
As watching the pirated movies on my computer was much more amusing  than even ever got I guess the minerals were essentially free. :)

Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #114 on: August 18, 2010, 05:03:55 AM

Here is a chance to hook up with us: http://forums.f13.net/index.php?topic=19714.0

My blog: http://endie.net

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: Some medium term direction (noob)  
Jump to: