Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 03:29:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  League of Legends  |  Topic: LoL - DotA 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: LoL - DotA  (Read 5630 times)
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

on: May 21, 2010, 10:04:23 AM

I've never played DotA and still enjoy LoL.  I have a buddy I work work with who apparently is a hardcore DotA player and is trying to get me to at least try it. (He hasn't tried LoL). Is it even worth installing War3 to try out or am I just likely going to feel like I'm playing an outdated version of LoL where I don't know any champions/skills/items?

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 10:07:44 AM

I've never played DotA and still enjoy LoL.  I have a buddy I work work with who apparently is a hardcore DotA player and is trying to get me to at least try it. (He hasn't tried LoL). Is it even worth installing War3 to try out or am I just likely going to feel like I'm playing an outdated version of LoL where I don't know any champions/skills/items?

Dude, get him to try the new hotness. My cousin (Prestige) used to be a DoTA player and he is straight hooked on LoL.

And it's free, so no loss either way.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Tsalrioth
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 10:08:07 AM

I would say it is not worth it.  I played dota for a long time, and switched to LoL from it.  It does have a ton of features I wish LoL would implement though, and is quite fun.  Not knowing heros or items would probably just frustrate you, not to mention the denies.  
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 10:09:45 AM

LoL has so many improvements over DOTA I'm surprised he's saying that.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 10:15:10 AM

He doesn't want to try LoL for the same reason, he knows DotA champions/items/matchups etc. inside and out and would be starting as the newbie.  Which is understandable.

Slay, Prestige plays LoL? What's his name?

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 10:21:53 AM

Tell him to suck it up and consider it a challenge. He'll start as a newb but he'll be matched up against other newbs.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 10:46:33 AM

He doesn't want to try LoL for the same reason, he knows DotA champions/items/matchups etc. inside and out and would be starting as the newbie.  Which is understandable.

Slay, Prestige plays LoL? What's his name?

Prestigious

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #7 on: May 21, 2010, 11:05:26 AM

Not worth it.

Only because you would have to learn a lot more shit then he would have to learn to play LoL and you would be learning it for a dead game. If its what it takes to get a tryhard cool person to play LoL it is worth it though but I'm saying that for selfish reasons.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Dtrain
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: May 21, 2010, 11:09:53 AM

LoL has so many improvements over DOTA I'm surprised he's saying that.

I think this is the point where the guy could be sold on LoL. If you could expand on this thought, I think it will present the evidence to bring him over.

But I can't - I never played DOTA.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: May 21, 2010, 11:12:27 AM

- Item shop improvements alone are enough to convince me.
- No Denying to keep games moving.
- Rewards for playing (IP)
- Meta game system that slightly influences gameplay.
- LoL is actually supported and updated frequently and DOTA is a third-party mod.

Astorax
Contributor

Reply #10 on: May 21, 2010, 11:44:53 AM

It's way easier for him to come to LoL than you go to DotA...there's no "help" in DotA to teach newbies...the item shops are barely organized and unless you are told what to buy when, it's hard...finding someone to hand-hold you like that while still playing the game is difficult at best.

The community is 1000000000x worse than the LoL community is.  Yes, it really is that bad.

The hardest part, hands down, for playing/learning games like this is figuring out what items to get for your hero...and LoL has recommended items, that while aren't really the "best" to get for your hero, will be MORE than enough to get him started and figuring out what's good and what's not if he's very comfortable with DotA.  You on the other hand would be flailing around to just find the item you want to buy, let alone what's good for your hero.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: May 21, 2010, 11:48:46 AM

If he needs help www.leaguecraft.com is also a powerful resource.

Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: May 21, 2010, 06:45:34 PM

So I tried some DotA anyways mostly just from curiosity.  I was blown away by how much HoN is a complete carbon copy of the game!  Had played LoL/HoN but never DotA before.

Astorax
Contributor

Reply #13 on: May 21, 2010, 08:13:50 PM

So I tried some DotA anyways mostly just from curiosity.  I was blown away by how much HoN is a complete carbon copy of the game!  Had played LoL/HoN but never DotA before.

Oh yeah, they said that from moment one...an "updated" DotA...I prefer DotA to HoN though, the art direction of HoN blows donkey penis.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: May 23, 2010, 09:23:02 AM

I wonder the extent to which a SC2-based version will be successful; it's going to happen.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: May 23, 2010, 11:09:28 AM

I wonder the extent to which a SC2-based version will be successful; it's going to happen.

My two cents is I doubt it will get a huge player base outside of people already play SC2, people that like LoL will stick with LoL, people that like HoN will stick with HoN.  Players that passed on both in favor of DotA aren't likely to move onto a new SC2 based one unless it's a perfect exact copy because otherwise they would of moved onto one of the other options already.  But who knows?

K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: May 23, 2010, 12:37:56 PM

Who knows indeed. The SC2 Galaxy Editor is frighteningly powerful though from what I have seen. It will be interesting to see what plays out.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: May 23, 2010, 08:37:11 PM

I suspect we won't see DotA move over. Icefrog has a full time job making a MOBA for Valve. I can't see him redoing the whole game in a new engine for grins and giggles. I'm sure someone else will come up with a suitable clone though.
Lounge
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: May 24, 2010, 09:56:40 AM

This was by design and the guys are pretty honest about it.  Recently they've been shooting for about 2 to 3 original heroes to 1 DoTA port so its taking on a feel of its own now.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  League of Legends  |  Topic: LoL - DotA  
Jump to: