Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2024, 05:52:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Frankenstein just got real 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Frankenstein just got real  (Read 3020 times)
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

on: May 20, 2010, 10:44:17 AM

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/first-self-replicating-synthetic-bacterial-cell-constructed-by-j-craig-venter-institute-researchers-94485589.html

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37238942/ns/health-health_care/ (commentary)

Interesting, on many a level, biological, theological, medical, and of course political.

Of course I get this distinct feelings someone in the DoD locked in a lab somewhere is laughing and pointing, saying something like "that is soooo last decade."
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 10:47:42 AM by 01101010 »

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 09:28:25 AM

This is a remarkable feat and will lead to more good things than bad in all likelihood. It is going to be very exciting to see how this progresses.

Regarding weaponising this, you have a LOT more mileage in just fucking around with existing pathogens. Pathogens need a pretty complex suite of genes to work. Building off this type of cell would be a lot more effort than it would be worth.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 11:39:33 PM

The real genetic weapon fun lies with engineering viruses that affect genetic features that are dominant in certain regions of the world. This is just good clean God stuff.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: May 29, 2010, 08:25:41 AM

I don't know if this should be it's own thread, but fuckit -- it fits. Retina grown from stem cells.
Researchers at the University of California at Irvine announced the creation of an eight layer, early stage retina from embryonic stem cells. This is the first three dimensional body part to be made from stem cells.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #4 on: May 29, 2010, 09:05:55 AM

That's awesome.  I have a friend who's going to UCI next fall to work on his PhD in biomedical science; I wonder if he'll be working on stuff like that.   DRILLING AND MANLINESS

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: May 29, 2010, 12:10:53 PM

That's awesome.  I have a friend who's going to UCI next fall to work on his PhD in biomedical science; I wonder if he'll be working on stuff like that.   DRILLING AND MANLINESS
There's at least a dozen folks running around with lab-grown bladders. They're not perfect, but they're apparently a hell of a lot better than artificial ones and the rejection problem is a hell of a lot less than with donor organs.

They chose bladders to create because, well, they're simple. I've seen pictures of lab-grown rat hearts and such, but 'tissue engineering' is going to be a BIG field. Another decade or three, and "organ failure" means you're waiting for the shop to send you your new replacement organ (with original defects removed), that'll graft right to your body with little to no rejection issues, rather than hoping a tissue-compatable donor bites it before you do.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Frankenstein just got real  
Jump to: