Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:05:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Browser-Based Titles  |  Topic: Imperion - Travian in Space 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Imperion - Travian in Space  (Read 3535 times)
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

on: April 21, 2010, 11:43:01 AM

www.imperion.org
http://wiki.imperion.com/wiki/Main_Page

Made by the same peeps behind Travian.  It released late last year in the U.S.
Gameplay is a bit slow at lower levels, unlike a game like Lord of Ultima, therefore if you're the type that likes lots of action from day 1, this is not for you.  Normally this would be a bad thing for newbs, but you're afforded enough protection and gifts that you're fairly safe if you invest in a cache... and you can only be obliterated via special units.  Obviously, if you spawn in recommended areas you're largely safe from powerful players.

What I like about the game is simply that it's polished.  The text-fonts are pleasing as well as the artwork, without feeling hokey.  The UI is simple and unobtrusive.  The starmap is scrollable and zoomable down to the planetary level and the textures are photoreal.  Some info. you have to go digging for in the Wiki (which is laid out just like the game), but this helps to declutter things.  Whole game has a very simple to play, hard to master type of feel.  I like the tech. trees and research arms, which give you enough avenues to explore and layered complexity if desired.  Also, RMT is very minimal and not overtly imbalanced or obtrusive.

I have 3 gripes though.  The population is only something like 10,000 players on the .org server, which might not be enough for an epic space game.  Early play, like I said, is VERY slow... which can be boring.  Since the map is scrollable/zoomable you're limited to a fairly small view of systems, which gives a somewhat claustrophobic feeling for a space strat. game.  I prefer games with expansive views of systems/galaxies, but almost always this is at the xpense of polish and/or simplicity.

Overall, a nice browser-game if you have little time to invest early on.... later on though, it's obvious things can get frenetic, just like every strat. game does.  I like the mature polish, simplicity, and I like the differing avenues of play with regards to race, building, and research.  Is it the best space strat. pbbg?  No.  But it fits a role.

My location:
.org server - Universe 1 (there's only 1 universe) Galaxy 2, 7:120.
Chat is via in-game mail and IRC.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 01:29:38 PM

My first thought upon loading that page is that I could be Nova Terra, a green asari, or a fucked up amalgamation of a protoss, a woman, and the robots from I, Robot (2004).

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 02:31:40 PM

You say that like it's a bad thing. 

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 03:00:17 PM

Evony has made me leery of when tits are used to market a game over compelling game mechanics.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 04:01:25 PM

What tits?   Head scratch  Aint no tits in Imperion.
Also, despite our hatreds for Evony, it's still one of the most successful pbbg of all time.  I've lost count of the Evony clones one needs to sift through.

Anyways, there's nothing really special about this game... it's just smooth and well made imo; not overbuilt or cluttered.  (shrug)  It's by no means the only game you'll have open in your browser.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Browser-Based Titles  |  Topic: Imperion - Travian in Space  
Jump to: