Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:35:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Magic: The Gathering Online  |  Topic: Eldrazi 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Eldrazi  (Read 4710 times)
schild
Administrator

on: April 19, 2010, 10:51:54 PM

This set is retarded.

It's the goddamn inverse of Homelands and there's too much shit in Type 2 that makes it beyond retarded. Elvish Piper anyone?

Seriously.

Also, it sucks to draft.

If I was a collector, I'd eagerly await Apocalypse Chime 2, Electric Boogaloo.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 10:11:36 AM

Have to say, it does sound retarded.  With Mirrodin 2 (Electric Boogaloo) due in autumn we get big 'I win' creatures followed by artifacts. I can't imagine anything less interesting wizards could do with magic.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 11:08:25 AM by eldaec »

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 02:27:39 PM

This set is retarded.

It's the goddamn inverse of Homelands and there's too much shit in Type 2 that makes it beyond retarded. Elvish Piper anyone?

Seriously.

Also, it sucks to draft.

If I was a collector, I'd eagerly await Apocalypse Chime 2, Electric Boogaloo.

I assume you think this set is retarded good?  Honestly, most Constructed players are writing off RoE as worthless.  Giant creatures are unplayable in serious Constructed play, especially in a format as fast and as removal rich as this one is.  Pre-release price lists were some of the lowest ever for rares and uncommons.

Haven't drafted it yet, but most of the reports I've read are that it is a fun and slow Limited environment due to the emphasis on walls and chump blockers.  I won't have an idea about that until after it goes live on MODO.  At this point, both Alara block and Zen block have been good fun for Limited games so I'm cautiously optimistic.
schild
Administrator

Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 02:32:54 PM

No, just retarded.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 11:44:40 PM

Is there really going to be another artifact-centric block? Mirrodin was the worst.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
schild
Administrator

Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 06:48:22 AM

Is there really going to be another artifact-centric block? Mirrodin was the worst.
Third worst. Homelands and Fallen Empires were far worse than Mirrodin. Also, Eldrazi block and M10 is fairly artifact light all things considered so I'm not gonna hate on them for it (heavily). Mirrodin itself was a mess but they could easily correct those wrongs in the new block.

Edit: The bigger issue is that the Eldrazi set itself (Rise of the Eldrazi or whatever) is trash. Whereas Zendikar and Worldwake aren't so bad when removed from the block.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 06:51:54 AM by schild »
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 09:35:38 AM

While we're moaning, I'm also not excited by this core set every year concept. I appreciate that odd year summer sets were usually a bit rubbish - but I liked the novelty factor they introduced.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
schild
Administrator

Reply #7 on: May 22, 2010, 06:44:17 PM

I've taken a real liking to this set. Not kidding. Here's the deck I'm running just for standard play. It's just annoying as shit, but mostly - it works as a counter to Jund and can handle the Planeswalker deck.

main deck:
9 forests
10 plains
1 eldrazi temple
4 oblivion ring
3 skittering invasion
3 everflowing chalice
1 emrakul, the aeons torn
1 kozilek butcher of truth
2 hand of emrakul
2 day of judgement
1 admonition angel
1 gideon jura
1 transcendent master
1 avenger of zendikon
4 harrrow
1 awakening zone
3 mul daya channelers
2 oracle of mul daya
2 tajuru preserver
4 iona's judgement
2 path to exile
2 journey to nowhere

sideboard:
4 pacifism
3 not of this world
1 spawnsire of ulamog
2 martial coup
4 divine verdict
1 forest
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #8 on: June 11, 2010, 12:10:37 AM

I've played 2 sealed deck tournaments with this set, and I actually like it.  I did good enough with the first tournament to win 3 packs back at the end, not so much on the second, heh.  But still, I've had some good fun with it in sealed deck at least (which is basically all I play).  The second time around I ended up not doing so well (thanks to several Facepalm moves on my part that costs me several matchs), but I had a blast with the deck I built.  I got a Training Ground, and several powerful level up creature cards, including 2 Brimstone Mage's (god that was fun).

The set in and of itself seems fun to me, but I never play anything beyond an expansion set type sealed deck tournament, so how it effects things beyond that doesn't really concern me (though I need to take the suggestions in the other thread I started and try the pauper tournaments).

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Magic: The Gathering Online  |  Topic: Eldrazi  
Jump to: