Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 09:48:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: Original AVP - $2 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Original AVP - $2  (Read 4662 times)
Azazel
Contributor

on: April 15, 2010, 03:36:25 AM

As title.
Picking a couple of copies up.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 05:32:24 AM

Best game on the system and will always be the "original" to me. And to the world since I think it predates every other AVP, not counting the NES/Gameboy things that weren't this. And barely came out before it.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 06:40:52 AM

Heh, I remember that. It was the only thing on the Jag I was interested in, too. (Never got the fuss about Tempest).

I got the FZ-1 3DO instead. Much better choice, overall. Road Rash, Wing Commander, Star Control 2, Gex, SSFIIT, Samurai Showdown, Return Fire, Puzzle Bobble... I still have it somewhere, too. In a box. I'll dig it out and set it up alongside the other old consoles one day when I buy a bigger house.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 06:45:56 AM

No copy protection on the original AvP, so why two copies? why so serious?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
schild
Administrator

Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 06:52:50 AM

Heh, I remember that. It was the only thing on the Jag I was interested in, too. (Never got the fuss about Tempest).

I got the FZ-1 3DO instead. Much better choice, overall. Road Rash, Wing Commander, Star Control 2, Gex, SSFIIT, Samurai Showdown, Return Fire, Puzzle Bobble... I still have it somewhere, too. In a box. I'll dig it out and set it up alongside the other old consoles one day when I buy a bigger house.
Had a 3DO also, which didn't serve much purpose for me. Jaguar got more play JUST because of Flashback, AVP, and Cannon Fodder.

Both were terrible systems.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 06:56:14 AM

Yegolev:
Iv'e got the discs anyway.
but
Steam for convenience, across my desktop, that new laptop we just ordered, and possibly my work laptop as well (not thatI have time to play things at work during breaks, but hey..)
Despite my whole "fuck UBI/EA's newest DRM, I'll pirate it if I want to play it" position, I strongly prefer to buy my softwares.
It's $2!
I bought 4 copies for my 4 Steam accounts, for potential future multiplayerness (oh noes, $8!)
I also bought a steam gift copy for a friend (oh noes, $10 - I'll spend that on lunch tomorrow)

Schild:
Ah, you see, see Flashback and Cannon Fodder were Amiga games for me in those days. Looking back at it, the 3DO was a bad system, and I stupidly paid way more than was sensible at all for it, but I did enjoy the games on it quite a lot, so I don't regret it. Of course the Saturn and PSX eventually superceded it, but then again, I think the PSX honestly superceded everything until the PS2 came along, amirite?

Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 08:11:02 AM

Hey, I remember I used to play alien using a joystick because I found it easier to control that way.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 08:12:39 AM

swamp poop

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Valmorian
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 08:56:42 AM

It's $2!
I bought 4 copies for my 4 Steam accounts, for potential future multiplayerness (oh noes, $8!)

Are they planning on patching in multiplayer?  I thought that this Steam version of AvP didn't have multiplayer.. that's why I never got it.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010, 09:46:32 AM

Hey, I remember I used to play alien using a joystick because I found it easier to control that way.

Are you to blame for the xenomorphs in the sequels sucking hobo cock?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #10 on: April 15, 2010, 02:22:36 PM

Are they planning on patching in multiplayer?  I thought that this Steam version of AvP didn't have multiplayer.. that's why I never got it.

KInd of - should be workable on a LAN at least...

Multiplayer Features
Integrated with Steam Overlay
Uses Steam name
Host/Join games via bare-bones in-game lobby browser
Can invite and join friends and others via the Steam overlay
Game attempts host migration
Dedicated servers are not supported or planned

raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: April 16, 2010, 11:24:40 AM

Best 2 bucks I ever spent. It ranks up there with the Aliens game on the old Playstation.

I was drinking when I wrote this, so sue me if it goes astray.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #12 on: April 20, 2010, 10:33:41 AM

Got this.  Was pleasantly surprised to see that is supported 1900x1080 resolution.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: April 20, 2010, 11:51:54 AM

That version of Street Fighter was also the best console iteration of that game at the time (in my opinion, it's still the best version I've played)...if you had a SNES controller converter thingy.  Return Fire was beyond awesome, as were Wing Commander and Road Rash.  For those four games alone, I loved my 3DO. 

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #14 on: April 20, 2010, 12:33:07 PM

And how much did you pay for said 3DO?   awesome, for real

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: April 20, 2010, 12:51:21 PM

Ohhhhh, I see.

It was...expensive.  But worth every penny.  Almost.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: Original AVP - $2  
Jump to: