Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:54:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Browser-Based Titles  |  Topic: Any Good Trading Card Games Out There? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Any Good Trading Card Games Out There?  (Read 19864 times)
Draegan
Terracotta Army

on: April 08, 2010, 08:32:46 AM

I've been itching to play a MtG type of game recently and Elements wasn't doing it for me.  I don't care if it's free or not, but I'm looking for some good online browser based games.

Anyone have any decent ones?
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 08:45:59 AM

The only one I am aware of is Elements.  Everything else out there requires you to download the client.  

Edit: I found Alteil, which is the International version of some Japanese tcg.  Can't vouch for whether it's worth a damn, though.
Also, this article has some info on a couple other browser based ones.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 09:05:44 AM by Cadaverine »

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 09:04:02 AM

What are the good ones where you have to d/l the client?  I'm not against doing that either as long as it's not terribly large.
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 09:08:01 AM

Pox Nora is pretty fun, and I don't think the client is all that big.  The other SOE ones like Legends of Norrath are ok as well.  All the same game system, but different cards for EQ2, SWG, Stargate, and whatever the other one they have is.

And if you happen to play EQ2, you can get various in-game loot cards from the boosters as well.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 10:15:22 AM

You could try Chaotic.  It's built around the physical version and TV show.  It wasnt my cup of tea though, probably because it wasnt free.  :)

I've actually been itching to get back into V:tes/Jyhad.  I havent tried the online client for it, it could be utter shite... I dunno.  BUT, out of all the TCGs I've ever played that one ranks up there in the top 5.

There's a million-and-one overtly simple rock-paper-scissor/coinflip TCGs out there if that's your flavor.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Aez
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 10:32:47 AM

I've been looking desperately for the last 3 years and found nothing worth my time.

The 2 best options are probably :

www.warstorm.com
http://poxnora.station.sony.com

I spent a few buck on Warstorm, you can play a lot of games for 10-20$. The only fun I found was deck building but even then it was pretty weak.  I didn't even spent all the emoney I bought for it.
Pox Nora is the opposite, playing the game is fun but deck building is shit (no booster/league).
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 11:39:47 AM

I just want a simple card game, I don't need tactical placement and everything else.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 12:48:54 AM

I just want a simple card game, I don't need tactical placement and everything else.

How 'bout:
http://starchamber.station.sony.com/index.vm
or
http://www.thecontinuum.com/Default.aspx
 Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: April 09, 2010, 07:03:16 AM

Nope.  Just looking for a card game.  I don't need "boards" you play on or whatever.  Just cards.  Exactly like "Elements" but with more depth.  Or like MtG Online but "better" I guess.
Aez
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: April 09, 2010, 07:42:48 AM

Exactly like "Elements" but with more depth.
That's MTGO.

Or like MtG Online but "better" I guess.
Doesn't exist.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: April 09, 2010, 08:14:31 AM

[was previously just messin with you]

People these days are lazy bastards.  They dont want TCGs with depth, so you're mostly stuck with crap like "Urban Rivals" or Elements.  Games like L5R or UFS are strictly tabletop unless you use LackeyCCG, and those that have managed to go online are now defunct (stuff like ChronX [which I really like] or LotR).

However, my bag 'o tricks these days have these two games to consider:
http://www.fallenworldsonline.com/   [the re-tread of the defunct Daemornia CCG - VERY beta]
or
http://www.regno.se/  [slightly positional ala Chaotic, but with class]  Note:  I havent actually been playing either of these.

Yi-Gi-Oh is a great CCG (simple to learn, hard to master) and now has an online component just like Chaotic's wherein you can buy real cards and input the code or just buy them online.

Errr, you could try Sony's stuff - stargate, norrath, auto assault (giggle). pirates, etc.

Or this oldschool gem; http://www.spectromancer.com/index.cgi?p=1

Problem with these games is they pop in and out of existence like quantum foam.  Many are good, but not played anymore really and all the best stuff these days is either not supported or have gone strategic boardgame style.  (which translate much better for PC) 

schild
Administrator

Reply #11 on: April 09, 2010, 08:58:35 AM

I work on a game called Warstorm.

http://apps.facebook.com/warstorm/

Also playable at Warstorm.com. All emphasis is put on the minimal deckbuilding though and the game itself is part chance due to autoplay.

All the other CCGs I know of have been listed.
Aez
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: April 09, 2010, 09:03:00 AM

You work for challengegames?  Looks like a nice company.  I like their products and business plan even if I didn't stick with Warstorm or Duel.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: April 09, 2010, 09:08:36 AM

I played Warstrom yesterday, I didn't like the autoplay feature.  It reminded me too much of Estiah.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: April 09, 2010, 10:00:45 AM

Schild, didnt you used to play Star Chamber?  Looks like it's still supported and they've got a bunch of expansions.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 10:09:08 AM by Ghambit »

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #15 on: April 09, 2010, 10:59:16 AM

You need to just man up and play MTGO

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: April 09, 2010, 11:00:07 AM

Yeah.  I think I'll load it up on my work laptop and see how sticky it is.

edit: Their downloader is ass.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 11:18:16 AM by Draegan »
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: April 10, 2010, 11:40:22 AM

I dove into Warstorm.  Not a bad game at all really, very polished.  It's all deckbuilding but is a nice diversion from the usual.   I like that the only luck factor is in the draw.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: April 10, 2010, 02:07:11 PM

It's very much like Estiah in that regard.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: April 15, 2010, 11:44:43 PM

http://riseandruin.com/

This game shows some promise.  It's still in closed dev. so things are pretty basic, but I like the CCG+3d combat elements, along with the RPG aspects - all combined (basically a TCG where something actually happens).  It's also made with Virtools, which is kinda neat.  No one was ingame when I logged in but I'm trying it during Friday night's session.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 01:20:04 AM by Ghambit »

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: May 17, 2010, 09:14:30 PM

Just throwing this out there for you (former) CCG addicts.  I got out of CCG-games a while ago, but couldnt resist trying out Warhammer: Invasion. (which is an LCG really)  If you were wantin to scratch that CCG/TCG itch I highly recommend this game.  It plays EXTREMELY well and is probably the best (supported) LCG out there.  Large tourneys and leagues are already sweeping the world with this one and it's barely been out 6 months.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: May 24, 2010, 12:54:02 PM

This isn't something I can play on my computer.   Ohhhhh, I see.
rrazcueta
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: July 19, 2010, 04:08:15 PM

Kongai on Kongregate is pretty decent. It's made by David Sirlin and UDON, so... it might be a pit polarizing.
Severian
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: July 22, 2010, 08:59:04 PM

grneyes531

Email
Reply #24 on: August 24, 2012, 04:22:13 PM

Edit by schild: Bumped a 2 year old thread to post her referral links, I don't care how on topic it was. Deleted.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 11:26:37 PM by schild »
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: August 24, 2012, 09:25:58 PM

Isn't the LOTR TCG suppose to be OK?

- Viin
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #26 on: October 01, 2012, 08:39:57 AM

You said good, not great but I'm still not sure I should mention this. To be honest I'm not sure how good or bad it is I decided I'd rather just play the expensive to play mtgo instead.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Browser-Based Titles  |  Topic: Any Good Trading Card Games Out There?  
Jump to: