Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:12:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Browser-Based Titles  |  Topic: Neptune's Pride 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Neptune's Pride  (Read 3045 times)
Aez
Terracotta Army

on: April 01, 2010, 07:37:43 AM

This game looks great.  I'll try it this week-end and post some comments.

The object of a game of Neptune's Pride is to capture half of all Stars in the Galaxy.
The game is real-time but played over several weeks. You can log in at any time of the day to check the progress of your fleets, view the results of battles, and issue new orders.
Each Star you control will automatically build new ships, raise money for upgrades, and research new technologies.
Your job is to negotiate with the other players, dispatch your fleets to capture new stars, and choose where and how to upgrade your existing stars and technology.
Neptune's Pride is not like any other 4x strategy game because its streamlined mechanics allow players to focus on high level strategic decisions and diplomacy.

http://np.ironhelmet.com/
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 08:31:08 AM

If you're interested in these types of games there's a bunch out there, but they're mostly historical stuff... not sci-fi.
They're all of the grande strategy, multiplayer, long-term (weeks at a time) variety.  Or you can just play a big game of Civ4, which actually has many sci-fi mods.

They're not games you can "try" really, because you're commited to the end lest you're a "leaver." 

This one looks interesting though, 'cause it seems pretty streamlined; more like a game of Diplomacy.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 10:08:02 AM by Ghambit »

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 10:00:32 AM

Reminds me of Galcon.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Aez
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 05:50:00 PM

This is definitely worthy of a few free game.

Him going to start a game tonight.  Anyone want to join?
Aez
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 07:03:19 PM

It's good but I don't understand why it's played over several weeks.  Seems it could last 20-40 mins if every action didn't take 24h.  It makes learning the game frustrating as the usual 3-4 games as a noob to learn the mechanisms will take 3-4 months to complete.

Right now I can't cancel my current game or start another.  It might takes 3 weeks before I can start a new game.

It's like playing Settlers of Catan but you only throw the dice once per day.

Fail.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 03:58:14 AM

It's good but I don't understand why it's played over several weeks.  Seems it could last 20-40 mins if every action didn't take 24h.  It makes learning the game frustrating as the usual 3-4 games as a noob to learn the mechanisms will take 3-4 months to complete.

Right now I can't cancel my current game or start another.  It might takes 3 weeks before I can start a new game.

It's like playing Settlers of Catan but you only throw the dice once per day.

Fail.

Damn... I was hoping you wouldnt say that.  (sigh)
Well, there's always the other grand strat. games, but like I said - they're almost ALL WW2 crap. 

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Browser-Based Titles  |  Topic: Neptune's Pride  
Jump to: