Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 15, 2024, 08:39:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Movies that hit you like a Sledgehammer(Fuck the Radar) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Movies that hit you like a Sledgehammer(Fuck the Radar)  (Read 30969 times)
Ardent
Terracotta Army

Reply #105 on: January 20, 2005, 10:57:55 PM

Pi is on my eternal top ten list.

Those of you bagging on Memento, take another look. It is most certainly NOT a "gimmick" film, although it may appear that way in a single viewing. There are layers upon layers happening in this movie that have nothing to do with the backwards logic. This movie has a tremendous amount to say about the power of human memory, and how we manipulate it to rationalize our own failures, disappointments, and holes in the soul. It's one of the most illuminating films about the true workings of the human animal ever made.

I once wrote a dissertation of the multiple philosophical and spiritual concepts Memento touches on, but lucky for you people, it's on my other computer and I'm too lazy to pull it off to post here.

Um, never mind.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #106 on: January 20, 2005, 11:15:40 PM

Quote from: Ardent

I once wrote a dissertation of the multiple philosophical and spiritual concepts Memento touches on, but lucky for you people, it's on my other computer and I'm too lazy to pull it off to post here.

Heh, if you get a chance please do.  I like reading academic papers that tie into cinema.  My last year of undergrad I wrote a semi-term paper on Odysseus characterization in film.   The professor I was writing it for wrote extensive papers on the Three Stooges.  Good times.

-Rasix
WonderBrick
Terracotta Army

Reply #107 on: January 21, 2005, 06:57:46 AM

Long ago, Amadeus and Reservior Dogs showed me movies were more then just entertainment.

Somewhat more recently, Titus(directed by Julie Taymor) made me sit up and take note.  It is currently my favorite movie.

The best feeling I have had walking out of a theatre had to be seeing Seven and The Prophecy back to back for the first time.  I was numb and overloaded at the same time.

"Please dont confuse roleplaying with rollplaying. Thanks."   -Shannow

"Just cuz most MMO use the leveling treadmill doesn't mean I have to lower my "fun standards" to the common acceptance. Simply put, I'm not gonna do that."  -I flyin high
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #108 on: January 21, 2005, 09:25:46 AM

Quote from: Ardent

Those of you bagging on Memento, take another look. It is most certainly NOT a "gimmick" film, although it may appear that way in a single viewing. There are layers upon layers happening in this movie that have nothing to do with the backwards logic. This movie has a tremendous amount to say about the power of human memory, and how we manipulate it to rationalize our own failures, disappointments, and holes in the soul. It's one of the most illuminating films about the true workings of the human animal ever made.

I would have said what he said, but I just couldn't get beyond "Yeah, Oh Yeah ?  Yeah ?  Well FUCK YOU !" to those who disliked Memento.  I'm afraid I like it that much.

I personally would have added the enormous insight into the pysche of the human condition in the film and how, in the end, we are all someone's tools.

But still can't get by Fuck You.

(Oh and Seven Samurai is one of the best films of all time too.)

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #109 on: January 21, 2005, 09:56:18 AM

Schild, didn't the original Insomnia have Stellan Skarsgaard?
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #110 on: January 21, 2005, 09:57:51 AM

Quote from: ahoythematey
Schild, didn't the original Insomnia have Stellan Skarsgaard?

Yes.
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #111 on: January 21, 2005, 10:06:32 AM

That settles it then, I must see the original Insomnia.  I enjoyed the Pacino/Williams remake a good deal, but everything is better when Stellan Skarsgaard becomes involved.
Rasix

Reply #112 on: January 21, 2005, 10:19:23 AM

Quote from: Ironwood
[

So is, Yojimbo (points at avatar), although it's not quite as socially powerful.  Still has its profound moments.

-Rasix
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #113 on: January 21, 2005, 10:27:51 AM

There is supposed to be quite an interesting flick here at Sundance by Neil Gaiman and Dean McKean called Mirror Mask. I'm going to try to get a ticket to see it but it is a tough one to get into.

There is also a film called The Aristocrats that is basically a whole bunch of famous comedians telling the same joke over and over again. It is apparently a well-known joke among comedians but is so fithly that it is never told in public. The punchline is apparently really lame but each comedian does an improv riff in the middle of the joke which is the really funny part.  They say that if it is submitted to the MPAA it will be the first film to get an NC-17 based solely on language.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #114 on: January 21, 2005, 10:30:57 AM

Only movie that interests me at Sundance is "Strangers with Candy: The Movie".

World Premiere: January 24th, 2005 (Sundance Film Festival in the Park City at Midnight category)

Cast: Amy Sedaris, Stephen Colbert, Paul Dinello, Sara Jessica Parker, Matthew Broderick, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Ian Holm, Allison Janney, Dan Hedeya, Kristen Johnston, Chris Pratt, Justin Theroux, Deborah Rush, Sarah Thyre, Greg Hollimon
Rasix

Reply #115 on: January 21, 2005, 10:31:26 AM

Quote from: Abagadro

There is also a film called The Aristocrats that is basically a whole bunch of famous comedians telling the same joke over and over again. It is apparently a well-known joke among comedians but is so fithly that it is never told in public. The punchline is apparently really lame but each comedian does an improv riff in the middle of the joke which is the really funny part.  They say that if it is submitted to the MPAA it will be the first film to get an NC-17 based solely on language.

There's a South Park version of that joke.  Wish I could find the vid.  It's absolutely filthy.  It had my wife cringing.

-Rasix
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #116 on: January 21, 2005, 10:32:09 AM

Ya, they did the SP version for this flick.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Rasix

Reply #117 on: January 21, 2005, 10:40:10 AM

-Rasix
sidereal
Contributor

Reply #118 on: January 21, 2005, 10:53:57 AM

Quote from: Abagadro
The punchline is apparently really lame

That's an understatement.

As far as I can tell from the South Park version, it's just an excuse to go buck wild with maximally offensive imagery.  That's not a joke.  It's verbal trolling.

THIS IS THE MOST I HAVE EVERY WANTED TO GET IN TO A BETA
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #119 on: January 21, 2005, 10:56:59 AM

Here's a blurb on the film:

The Aristocrats is a very unique film. It is funny and very perverse but has a seriousness of purpose that places it dead center in any discussion about values and mores and even more specifically the nature of taboo. It features more than 100 comedians and takes an unprecedented backstage look at the world of comics, both superstars and lesser-known lights. It is a labor of love by creators Paul Provenza and Penn Jillette; because of their own comic stature, they have access to people and situations that one cannot duplicate. And all in pursuit of telling one very, very, dirty joke, a joke that has been around since vaudeville but one that nobody I know has ever heard of or, more importantly, ever heard told. Well, in The Aristocrats you'll hear this same joke told 100 times. It's a joke that previously existed only in private, among comics, and it is the dirtiest joke you will ever hear.

While there is no nudity, no sex, and no violence in The Aristocrats, this is one of the most shocking and, perhaps for some, offensive films you will ever see. But its provocativeness is never gratuitous; it creates in its own singular fashion an absolutely arresting portrait of comic art.— Geoffrey Gilmore

Oh, and in reading up on Mirror Mask, it is sort of a quasi-sequal to Labyrynth written by Gaiman and directed by McKean. Combines live action and digital animation.

-H.L. Mencken
schild
Administrator

Reply #120 on: January 21, 2005, 10:57:37 AM

It's one of the funniest jokes I've ever heard.

Closer should have been NC-17.

Edit: Did I mention I have a permanent copy on my desktop?
sidereal
Contributor

Reply #121 on: January 21, 2005, 11:00:14 AM

You're fucking kidding me.  Unless there's some kind of deep meaning in 'the aristocrats', it's not a joke.  Christ, at least give me a pun or something.  The punchline may as well be 'Snickers Bar' or 'Wrist Cancer'.  It's just mouth noise.

THIS IS THE MOST I HAVE EVERY WANTED TO GET IN TO A BETA
schild
Administrator

Reply #122 on: January 21, 2005, 11:08:32 AM

It's funny mouth noise.

[Cartman] While the mother starts licking the babies tiny little bal..

[kyle] Dude!

[Cartman] Hold on Kyle!

It's all such a buildup to a terrible payoff. And the timing from the Kyle/Cartman exchanges are hilarious.

Not everything is a knock-knock joke.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #123 on: January 21, 2005, 11:09:53 AM

The Kyle/Cartman exchanges are what make the whole bit.

Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #124 on: January 21, 2005, 11:27:27 AM

Quote from: sidereal
You're fucking kidding me.  Unless there's some kind of deep meaning in 'the aristocrats', it's not a joke.  Christ, at least give me a pun or something.  The punchline may as well be 'Snickers Bar' or 'Wrist Cancer'.  It's just mouth noise.

Quote from: some internet swine
Okay, here's what to "get".

One: This joke dates back to before Television, before radio, before there were even well organized theatrical troups. It is That Old.

Two: an Aristocrat is a person of wealth, influence and power. The term itself dates back to midieval times. Anyone who was born to an Aristocratic family of an Aristocratic family was an Aristocrat.

Three: Quite often, aristocrats were the ones leading the call to censor the works of others, claiming things were "profane" or "inapropriate for the public".

At the same time, most Aristocrats are doing the most profane things themselves behind closed doors (See the many lovers of Catherine the great, Henry the 8th's history of STD's, hell, just go for the motherload with the Marquis DuSade.

The point fo the joke is to shock, amaze, and defame.
Hanzii
Terracotta Army

Reply #125 on: January 21, 2005, 01:24:08 PM

Quote from: schild
It's funny mouth noise.

[Cartman] While the mother starts licking the babies tiny little bal..

[kyle] Dude!

[Cartman] Hold on Kyle!

It's all such a buildup to a terrible payoff. And the timing from the Kyle/Cartman exchanges are hilarious.

Not everything is a knock-knock joke.

See that's the trouble with Schild and movies.
Sometimes you're very very wrong (with an almost SB-like arrogance) and sometimes you nails it in one. This is the latter.

I've had this SP-bit downloaded since it first made the rounds. I didn't know the background, but the delivery makes the joke.
Now, knowing where it comes from and why it was made, just makes it better and I'm looking forward to its first showing over here.

... and I'm a huge fan of Penn Gilette, who's a personal friend of Neil Gaiman, who's a friend of Dave McKean, who did the majority of the work on Mirror mask. Gaiman only helped with the script and gave advice, so it's a bit unfair to McKean to label it a Gaiman-McKean work.

Go to Gaiman's blog and search for Mirror Mask if you want to know more (as well as a lot of stuff on their viewing of the 3 hour unedited Labyrinth, we'll never get to see).

Back on the original topic:
The Prophecy. Christopher Walken as the archangel Gabriel making Viggo Mortensen look possibly benign as Lucifer himself. What's not to love?
Just like great bits of Sandman, Preacher and Hellblazer I have a fondness for stories that plays with religion and especially christian mythology.

I even kinda sorta like The Seventh Sign

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would like to discuss this more with you, but I'm not allowed to post in Politics anymore.

Bruce
Ardent
Terracotta Army

Reply #126 on: January 21, 2005, 02:56:23 PM

Quote from: Hanzii
[I have a fondness for stories that plays with religion and especially christian mythology.

Then you might be interested in seeing "The Rapture" with Mimi Rogers. A very disturbing film ... I can't really say as I enjoyed it, because it's not so much a film you enjoy as much as absorb, discuss, and examine your own view of Christian theology.

Um, never mind.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #127 on: January 21, 2005, 03:15:45 PM

I thought what made it funny was to look at other people the first time they hear it...

AcidCat
Terracotta Army

Reply #128 on: January 21, 2005, 05:02:54 PM

I see a lot of good picks already listed. A few of my more recent favorites:

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Garden State

Solaris

Man on the Train

Lost in Translation

Spartan

Whale Rider

Northfork

The Man Who Wasn't There
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #129 on: January 21, 2005, 05:30:46 PM

Quote from: Hanzii
Just like great bits of Sandman, Preacher and Hellblazer I have a fondness for stories that plays with religion and especially christian mythology

Same here.

Although his films are a little more down to earth, and don't always fall into the category of "mythological" or "fantastic", I consider Abel Ferrara a master at these type of stories. I'd probably get lynched if I said this in a church, but the Bad Lieutenant is one of the best "religious" movies ever made.

For something more mythological, Angelheart. Fuck The Devil's Advocate.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #130 on: January 21, 2005, 06:53:49 PM

Quote from: sidereal

What do you think of Andy Kaufman?

The joke is telling it to other people and experiencing thier reaction or even your own reaction.  The south park version is an excellent example of it because it works purely by comedic timing theres no sight gags or cheap laughs.  The joke builds tension as it goes, getting more and more obscene until finally there is no possible punchline that could live up to the joke.  People are expecting a punchline, they really want a punch line.  You can literally watch people tense up as they hear the joke play out.

This (that there is no punch line) tends to upset many people which, really, just makes the joke that much funnier.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Evil Elvis
Terracotta Army

Reply #131 on: January 21, 2005, 08:39:08 PM

I love the symmetry in South Park doing the joke.  If you don't get it - or find it offensive - it's just foul and obscene; exactly what people have labeled the show as being.

Anyway, when Cartman starts screaming during the 911 part, I can't keep from laughing.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #132 on: January 22, 2005, 04:49:22 AM

Quote from: Rasix
Quote from: Ironwood
[

So is, Yojimbo (points at avatar), although it's not quite as socially powerful.  Still has its profound moments.

Ran uber alles.  The cinematography still nails me everytime I watch it.

Yojimbo just has that classic story, though.  Seriously, it's been remade, what? 9, 10 times in different genres and styles?

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
schild
Administrator

Reply #133 on: January 22, 2005, 09:35:10 AM

Quote from: Murgos
Yojimbo just has that classic story, though.  Seriously, it's been remade, what? 9, 10 times in different genres and styles?

Every single Kurosawa samurai movie has. From Hidden Fortress to Sanjuro to Yojimbo.
AcidCat
Terracotta Army

Reply #134 on: January 22, 2005, 10:06:28 AM

Though it's debated wether Kurosawa was inspired by it or not, the basic story came earlier in Dashiell Hammett's novel Red Harvest.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #135 on: January 22, 2005, 11:58:13 AM

I've read some of Dashell Hammett's stuff.  The man had a very real genious.  I haven't read Red Harvest but I'll go hunt it down now.

AcidCat
Terracotta Army

Reply #136 on: January 22, 2005, 02:58:37 PM

I haven't read Red Harvest but I'll go hunt it down now.

You won't regret it if you like his style.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #137 on: August 16, 2005, 01:36:17 PM

Ok - watched Poolhall Junkies. Christopher Walken was great. The ending was a bit too Holllywood.

Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #138 on: August 16, 2005, 02:10:25 PM

Couldn't resist  :-D

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #139 on: August 16, 2005, 02:48:51 PM

Rise - Rise - Rise - I command you!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Movies that hit you like a Sledgehammer(Fuck the Radar)  
Jump to: