Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:05:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Dungeons & Dragon Online  |  Topic: What is the State of DDO Today? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What is the State of DDO Today?  (Read 26299 times)
Draegan
Terracotta Army

on: March 02, 2010, 12:32:43 PM

I was reading one of the WAR threads and something came up about DDO's success with going FTP with DLC.

Anyone playing the game?  I've been meaning to download the game to check it out since the switch to FTP.   I haven't played since this game first came out with a trial and I can barely remember that. 

Updates on the current game?  Is it fun playing without a set group of friends?  Can you solo play?  Is it hard to find groups?
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 12:35:51 PM

it's slick and seems very popular.  I haven't paid for anything but it runs and plays very well.  Great new intro tutorial.  Very easy to level. It's entirely solo friendly. Every instance can be run solo or group AFAIK.   Some interesting skill designs (I don't know D&D 3.5).
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 12:46:05 PM

Cool.  I'm going to give it a shot tonight.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 12:46:50 PM

I played for 2 months after F2P.  It was pretty fun until I stopped being unable to find groups at around 12.  I have been meaning to go back and see if there any more mid-level groups.

"Me am play gods"
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 07:10:47 PM

Tried installing the client.  Downloaded the 4GB highres file and installed it.  When I try to launch it nothing happens.  Strange.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 09:11:52 AM

Run as Win7 Admin?
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 12:55:56 PM

Yeah same thing.  I get the Turbine launcher it stays up for two seconds then goes away.  Run normally and as admin by right clicking the file gets me absolutely nothing.  The install didn't even get me a desktop icon.  When the install finished it asked me if I wanted to launch the game and I said yes, and nothing happened then too.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 02:23:02 PM

I downloaded D&DO a few weeks ago and played one evening for about 2h before uninstalling.  Not being able to play this game because of a launcher error is a bonus. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 06:11:31 AM

Me and two buddies downloaded this game and played around with it last night.  It was entertaining.  I think we're going to toss in for a monthly sub so we get access to the races/classes and play around.
Moosehands
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 02:37:49 PM

Stolen from Something Awful:

Just a warning for people who go to DDO.com: Do NOT look at the offer wall. Do not click on the link for the offer wall. Avoid the offer wall at all costs.

Basically, DDO decided to hook up with one of those "fill out a survey, try a sample subscription, etc" marketing places in exchange for Turbine Points. People who have used that have noticed a shit ton of malware connected to the services along with the usual risks of phishing and scamming that come with these marketing deals.

ON TOP OF THAT, just viewing the offer wall (without even clicking on any of the offers) sends the company your email address and ddo login name. If you used your credit card, the details are permanently in your account panel and now these scammers have half of the info they need to hack into your account and grab your CC# and billing address.

So yeah, avoid the offer wall at all costs and if you already looked at it, it's time for a 20 letter alpha numeric password.

Edit: Full details here in the second post: http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=242813 (link is safe to click).

Moosehands
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: April 13, 2010, 03:23:21 PM

Aaaand posted at 4:41PM server time on the official forums:

That is the only answer I have for you at this time - until we have more information (and we're actively pursuing it), we're taking the Offer Wall down. I'm sorry I don't have anything more concrete than that yet!

That is one hell of a PR ass whipping.  Go go, angry customer base!
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: April 13, 2010, 03:53:20 PM

Tried installing the client.  Downloaded the 4GB highres file and installed it.  When I try to launch it nothing happens.  Strange.

Sounds similar to a problem I had with DDO and AoC; some kind of driver conflict with my tablet.  Had to uninstall the driver for AoC to run, when the same thing started happening with DDO I just said "fuck it."

edit:  Oop, it was LotRO, not AoC.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 06:43:41 PM by Kail »
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Diablo 3's Number One Fan

Reply #12 on: April 13, 2010, 06:34:13 PM

DDO is poop.  Also, the free to play thing gets highly gay after about level 7 or so.  Eventually they start funneling you into paying (natch) by having so few missions available to complete that are available for the free-to-play-ers.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: April 14, 2010, 01:52:47 PM

Rolled a cleric last night and it's entertaining.  I like the possibility of all the class building.

I have no idea if it has staying power.  We'll see.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #14 on: April 15, 2010, 05:51:13 PM

I am interested.  Is there still a thing where you have to hit level 20 to unlock max start skill points or can I buy that?  Also, what EXACTLY does a subscription give these days?  Tried digging in the forums, but its deluged with crap.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #15 on: April 15, 2010, 05:59:16 PM

99% sure you can pay to unlock 32 point builds, drow race, monks, etc.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #16 on: April 15, 2010, 06:09:29 PM

I am interested.  Is there still a thing where you have to hit level 20 to unlock max start skill points or can I buy that?  Also, what EXACTLY does a subscription give these days?  Tried digging in the forums, but its deluged with crap.

http://ddowiki.com/page/VIP

"Me am play gods"
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: April 16, 2010, 01:59:49 PM

Here's what I've learned.

If you play for free you have to spend money to unlock Drow, Monk, War Forged and Favored Soul (class).  Each race will probably cost $13.00 or so.  But you can gain "favor" in game and unlock them for free.  Favored Soul costs 1800 or so turbine points.  That's like $20.00

32 point builds are unlockable for 1900 or so points.  So you buy that.  If you subscribe you unlock Monks and War Forged and you also get 500 pts a month to spend.
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: April 16, 2010, 02:12:55 PM

Unless something changed, and it might have, I'm a few months out of the loop, you don't have to pay money for Drow or Favored Soul.  Both can be unlocked with favor in game earned by running quests, on a per server basis.  Drow is a fairly quick unlock in the scheme of things, but Favored Soul was hideously expensive.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #19 on: April 16, 2010, 08:14:00 PM

I will probably resub, I need a change of scene for a bit.  Screwing around on my free acount until tomorrow, then its game on!

Question is - what class do I want to play?  I may do something CRAZY and try a mage.  Hope they can solo decently!

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: April 19, 2010, 06:02:00 AM

Any class is fine!  You can hire a cleric hireling that spam heals you.  As a dual wielding crazy dwarf with axes that can sing a little bit, I solo almost everything on Normal and if I'm a level higher than the dungeon I can solo Hard and Elite levels sometimes.

I played this through the weekend and had a blast.  I forget how much I love the D&D stat system.  Your stats aren't 100+ but every single stat point is important.  I also learned that you can only wear one piece of gear with a stat modifier.

I have about 100 Favor points now.  Drow cost 400.  Favored Souls cost something like 2-3x that.
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: April 19, 2010, 09:56:24 AM

Bit more than 2-3x.  Requires 2500 to unlock Favored Soul.

Most of the store info is here, but doesn't include sales, nor the conversion into real cash:  http://ddowiki.com/page/DDO_Store
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: April 19, 2010, 11:12:30 AM

I think I'm going to unlock Drow with favor points.  With the 500 points I get per month because of my sub, I should have enough to get 32pt build by purchasing TP for $6.50.

Assuming I'm still playing in a month.
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: April 19, 2010, 11:15:37 AM

Keep in mind Drow themselves are innately 32 point builds.  As long as you're okay with being limited to a single race, it might be the cheaper way.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: April 19, 2010, 11:29:13 AM

Really?  That's interesting.  I have a link with a bunch of builds on it, and only one is a drow.  It's also not fully fleshed out either to 20.

What I'm likely going to do is play the character I have now until I can become establish (money and tomes) and then reroll into a decent min/max end game toon.  Again... if I feel like playing still.  Heh.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #25 on: April 19, 2010, 04:07:35 PM

I want to like this.  I really do.  I have decided to keep plugging away until I have fun!

Currently playing a Robot Race/Fighter who wields a Great Axe.  Originally I wanted, REALLY wanted, to try a pale master.  Evidently they are not really viable (for a ton of reasons) so settling on SMASH KILL.

Damnit, I am gonna roll a wizard tonight.  I know this will end in tears.

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #26 on: May 21, 2010, 10:01:51 AM

Chedd, any word on this? Still playing? Looking for something to try for free....

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: May 21, 2010, 10:39:29 AM

I've been playing with a friend recently and here are my initial impressions.

1) Levels 1-10 are fine solo but be warned, after level 7 or so it starts to get tougher depending on build. 

2) The learning curve is steep.  It seems harmless at first, but it's quite easy to screw up your build. 

3) The game is very obviously designed for group play.  All four of the roles are necessary at endgame (caster, tank, cleric, rogue).  Multiclassing helps with this, but see #2.

4) The puzzle aspect of the game is both fun and challenging... the first time through.  Static puzzles have a negative impact on replay value. 

5) Unimpressed by customization and itemization. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #28 on: May 21, 2010, 06:12:02 PM

Chedd, any word on this? Still playing? Looking for something to try for free....

Having issues with my wireless card along with travelling - so have not played anything besides ffh2 lately.  By next weekend will probably dive back into MMO's.

One thing I do not like is the interface.  I am leaning more towards either LoTRO or Guild Wars for my next fix.  Especially GW.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: May 26, 2010, 01:45:14 PM

I stopped playing after getting a few characters to level 7,8 and 10.  Once you hit that area it becomes a drag without a set group of friends.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Dungeons & Dragon Online  |  Topic: What is the State of DDO Today?  
Jump to: