Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:24:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: Double XP & Re-Activation, Open Beta Dual Pistols, & Free Character Transfers 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Double XP & Re-Activation, Open Beta Dual Pistols, & Free Character Transfers  (Read 21776 times)
Jimbo
Terracotta Army

still drives a stick shift

on: February 27, 2010, 01:11:58 AM

Guys & Gals are busy!  Welcome True Believers, “Excelsior!”, and all that jazz, head on over to the home page and check out what is coming down the line :)

http://www.cityofheroes.com/en.html

Dual Pistols is pretty fun, animation is great, leveling is fast, another power set called demon summoning is announced too (dang was hoping for animal summoning...oh well), can spend hours trying out and/or making missions.  Oh the martial arts booster pak is awesome too!  Travel power @ level 4 if you buy that booster.
Aez
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 05:50:24 AM

Still the best mmo on the market.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 07:23:57 AM

Do you guys actually hop from server to server during these sorts of freebie events? 

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Jimbo
Terracotta Army

still drives a stick shift

Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 08:52:33 PM

I play on Freedom for Heroes, Virtue for my Villains, those servers are pretty populated so finding a team is pretty decent.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 09:11:02 PM

No, what I meant to ask was do people move their characters to different servers when they offer the free transfers.  Sorry about that.  I was totally not clear. 

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Valmorian
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 12:06:22 PM

I want SO BADLY to love this game, but it never seems to listen to the people who continually point out what is wrong with it.

CoX needs more content, and DIFFERENT content.  It needs to learn from games later on (Champions Online gives you a travel power at level >6<).  It needs to have more to do than just combat.

Unfortunatly, they only seem to be able to add new power sets and costume bits.

Glazius
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 09:38:37 AM

I want SO BADLY to love this game, but it never seems to listen to the people who continually point out what is wrong with it.

CoX needs more content, and DIFFERENT content.  It needs to learn from games later on (Champions Online gives you a travel power at level >6<).  It needs to have more to do than just combat.

Unfortunatly, they only seem to be able to add new power sets and costume bits.

You can get a travel power at level 5.

Sure, you only get two hours' use time out of it (and the travel power you get at level 10), but that's long enough to get to where you can dip into the pools, or fly off to Grandville/the Shadow Shard where you can buy more.

I'm happy with the modest amount of not-combat stuff to do - tweaking my SG base, crafting an interesting enhancement loadout, and authoring missions. I probably wouldn't mind more, but complaining that there's nothing to do but combat strikes me as about on par with complaining that Baskin-Robbins doesn't serve barbecued ribs.
Valmorian
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 02:03:51 PM

You can get a travel power at level 5.

You misunderstand.  I don't want any old travel power at level 5, I want the travel power I designed my character concept around at that level.  I don't want to have to wait till level 20 before I get to feel like my character starts to roughly approximate the concept I had for them at level 1.

I'm happy with the modest amount of not-combat stuff to do - tweaking my SG base, crafting an interesting enhancement loadout, and authoring missions. I probably wouldn't mind more, but complaining that there's nothing to do but combat strikes me as about on par with complaining that Baskin-Robbins doesn't serve barbecued ribs.

What I want is a Superhero MMO that makes me feel like I'm playing a superhero, and missions that feel like more than a random assortment of badguys scattered haphazardly around a bizarre, nonsensical maze.  NPCs that actually have personalities, an environment that actually feels like a city.

CoH lacks any "soul".  It literally is just a collection of powers used to beat up mobs.  The stories in CoX are laughable at best, because they never feel like anything more than the "dungeon of punching bags" that they are. 

The mission architect just made it even more obvious, what with the inability to create custom maps, place mobs exactly where you want them, etc.

It's a pity, really, because all the elements are there that could allow it.  I even remember when City of Villains demonstrated that they had "cutscene technology" and then pretty much abandoned it for the stale mission structure that CoH had.

Such wasted potential.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 02:21:22 PM

Such wasted potential.

Wasted potential is that CoH has been around for years to serve as an example and Champ Online couldn't do better than what they released.  Champions Online is major wasted potential.  All they had to do was improve on a few things from CoH and they would have printed money. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Glazius
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: March 04, 2010, 07:40:16 AM

What I want is a Superhero MMO that makes me feel like I'm playing a superhero, and missions that feel like more than a random assortment of badguys scattered haphazardly around a bizarre, nonsensical maze.  NPCs that actually have personalities, an environment that actually feels like a city.

CoH lacks any "soul".  It literally is just a collection of powers used to beat up mobs.  The stories in CoX are laughable at best, because they never feel like anything more than the "dungeon of punching bags" that they are. 

The mission architect just made it even more obvious, what with the inability to create custom maps, place mobs exactly where you want them, etc.

It's a pity, really, because all the elements are there that could allow it.  I even remember when City of Villains demonstrated that they had "cutscene technology" and then pretty much abandoned it for the stale mission structure that CoH had.

Such wasted potential.

Man, if something's a dungeon of punching bags it's not going to change any just because you can move the walls and hang the bags how you want.

Or because you stop halfway through to watch a bunch of models doing emotes in the end room.

And did you just seriously call a video game out for having no soul? It's alright to not like a video game. You don't have to make up some New Age bullshit first.
Valmorian
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: March 04, 2010, 08:01:06 AM

Man, if something's a dungeon of punching bags it's not going to change any just because you can move the walls and hang the bags how you want.

If you believe that, I feel sorry for you.  It's like saying that a novel wouldn't be any worse if instead of having well described and defined setpieces you just randomly decided what happened when.

Honestly, there's a reason why some quests in WoW are far more popular than others, even though the mechanics are the same.

And did you just seriously call a video game out for having no soul? It's alright to not like a video game. You don't have to make up some New Age bullshit first.

New Age bullshit?  Do you really think I meant a LITERAL soul?  Are you slow or something?
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: March 04, 2010, 10:06:44 AM

CoX has a soul. If you consider it in the context of mid-2004, it's actually a pretty damn inspired game. Most of the things we chide CoX for not doing enough of are things that were pretty much pioneered by that game in the first place. Travel powers at level 14/40 was tremendously early compared to getting mounts in other games, as well as a ton cooler - did any other MMO even have flight back then? Mission Architect is limited but a lot of that is that they have to be super careful about exploits (CoX has no mechanic against perching, for example) and they're still tweaking it - they're removing powerset limitations on mobs in the next issue, for example. A lot of people have a great time writing and playing custom stories, and a lot more people are thankful for being able to just grind out farm missions of their own design and cut out the window dressing story bullshit altogether. And if you're complaining about character concept, there may be no hope for you. A level one CoX character has buckets more creative potential than just about any other MMO does at any point.

I think you're just playing the wrong game. You want a story-deep, concept-driven game heavy on the RPG elements and CoX has always been a lightweight, arcadey title with only just enough MMORPG-ness to foster a decent community.

Also I think CoX's assortment of characters and enemies are a lot more interesting than the typical fantasy tropes and [mangy|grizzled|aged|dire|snowy|nether|rabid|spotted] {wolf|rat|bat|tiger|butterfly|badger|pirhana|moose|velociraptor|ostrich} [pup|whelp|hatchling|patriarch|alpha|spirit|queen]s, but maybe that's just me.
Valmorian
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: March 04, 2010, 10:27:48 AM

CoX has a soul. If you consider it in the context of mid-2004, it's actually a pretty damn inspired game.

Well yes, it WAS inspired.  Unfortunately it hasn't really done much to overhaul the weakest aspects of its design some 6 years later.
For example, one of my complaints was the UI windows made reading the text for missions a pain.  They're translucent and even though I can change the chat window and other elements to be 100% opacity, I could never get the mission text windows to be opaque.

Maybe you're satisfied with what was great 6 years ago when you play a game now, but I'd like to see them step up to the plate and move forward with their design.   It looks like they're concentrating on graphics, however, which while it doesn't surprise me, it does make me a bit sad.

And if you're complaining about character concept, there may be no hope for you. A level one CoX character has buckets more creative potential than just about any other MMO does at any point.

In some ways, yes.  Costume wise I agree whole-heartedly, but the ways you can customize, say, the actual power effects for your character are rather trivial. I know all about enhancements, but the truth is that the enhancement system is bloated and many types of enhancements never really see anyone slotting them (Does anyone slot for range?) "No base Stats" as a design decision might have made it easier in many ways but it also removed a lot of ability to customize the type of character you want.

I think you're just playing the wrong game. You want a story-deep, concept-driven game heavy on the RPG elements and CoX has always been a lightweight, arcadey title with only just enough MMORPG-ness to foster a decent community.

I just want the missions to look like something that is less "radom" and more "designed".  I hate to harp on it, but enemy placement, prop placement, and cutscenes are IMPORTANT dammit.

Also I think CoX's assortment of characters and enemies are a lot more interesting than the typical fantasy tropes

I agree with you there, for certain.  I do wish that custom "supervillains" were a larger part of the universe though.
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: March 04, 2010, 01:52:40 PM

Well I, for one, have spent hours fiddling with Mid's tweaking enhancement setups that I will never, ever be able to afford for the perfect stat balance. Set bonuses come close enough to base stats now that characters are pretty flexible. I will admit that the IO system feels a tad overengineered, and the way it's set up you have to sink a ton of time into the system before you start to see significant benefits, which are unnecessary 90% of the time anyway.

Also agreed that the UI could use an overhaul, or more realistically a port into customizeable XML since the community would do better there than whatever the devs can come up with anyway. Especially the AH interface. Yeesh, that is a mess.

Range enhancements are handy in cone powers, whose AoEs increase with the square of their range stat.
Glazius
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: March 05, 2010, 10:35:54 AM

If you believe that, I feel sorry for you.  It's like saying that a novel wouldn't be any worse if instead of having well described and defined setpieces you just randomly decided what happened when.

No, it's like saying that if somebody thinks a novel is just a bunch of words on paper it doesn't matter whether there are setpieces or not.

New Age bullshit?  Do you really think I meant a LITERAL soul?  Are you slow or something?

Metaphorical souls are double New Age bullshit. Once for the soul and once for the metaphor. It doesn't mean anything to say something "has a soul", literal or not.
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: March 05, 2010, 11:38:25 AM

Look up soul in a dictionary and tell me you can't find a single definition that could apply to a video game.

Might as well argue that it's bullshit to say something is "fun" because there's no concrete definition.

Sorry for white-knighting but it's a pet peeve of mine when people arbitrarily decide that perfectly good words have no meaning.
Glazius
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: March 07, 2010, 06:50:21 PM

Look up soul in a dictionary and tell me you can't find a single definition that could apply to a video game.

Might as well argue that it's bullshit to say something is "fun" because there's no concrete definition.

Sorry for white-knighting but it's a pet peeve of mine when people arbitrarily decide that perfectly good words have no meaning.

Pulling my American Heritage off the shelf, the only two that don't relate specifically to people or religions are "the central or integral part; the vital core", and "a strong, deeply felt emotion conveyed by an artist", and that last one is a bit iffy.

Pretty sure the hired mission designers don't use CoX as a medium for emotional expression, so that just leaves the first one, which is pretty generic and subjective.
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: March 07, 2010, 07:26:20 PM

Now you're just being obtuse.
justdave
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: March 08, 2010, 08:53:22 AM

Pretty sure the hired mission designers don't use CoX as a medium for emotional expression, so that just leaves the first one, which is pretty generic and subjective.

"They started to resist with a crust that was welded with human brain and willpower."
Glazius
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: March 08, 2010, 06:20:17 PM

Now you're just being obtuse.

Wait, what?

Are you seriously telling me this?

Are you seriously saying that a crucial component of an MMO is the emotional experience?

And not even connecting with other people, the emotional experience you get from reading the quest text?

I feel like I just stepped through the looking glass.
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: March 08, 2010, 10:30:43 PM

Are you seriously saying that a crucial component of an MMO is the emotional experience?
To the extent that that is true of all enjoyable things, yes.
And not even connecting with other people, the emotional experience you get from reading the quest text?
No. You made up that part.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #21 on: March 08, 2010, 11:54:53 PM

Cut it out you two.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: Double XP & Re-Activation, Open Beta Dual Pistols, & Free Character Transfers  
Jump to: