Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:58:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Ultima Online  |  Topic: EA CLASSIC SHARD OMFGGGGHGJKZZRIFFV 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: EA CLASSIC SHARD OMFGGGGHGJKZZRIFFV  (Read 18882 times)
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

on: February 16, 2010, 03:06:20 AM

Not quite yet, and not that I'd actually give a shit, but...

LINK

Quote from: New Producer's Letter
Next: is there ever going to be a classic shard?  I will tell you … it’s a good idea … in theory. In practice it gets a LOT more complicated.  We had a Saturday lunch recently (the same method we used when we were developing for Stygian Abyss), and discussed the benefits and costs (resource and impact to community) for developing a Classic shard. First we discussed what does a Classic Shard really mean? We came up with some core ideas and left it at that. There are several other things surrounding the implementation, and we almost have it nailed. Will we do it? I don’t know and cant’ say for certain, but at some point we will put the idea to rest one way or another, and we hope to make that decision this year.

That's a hell of a break from their usual "Never, fuck you!" routine. There's also stuff in there about faction system changes, cheat detection, and some other stuff. Nice to see they're not in full-on zombie mode yet.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Diablo 3's Number One Fan

Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 04:11:14 AM

Sweet, I just KNEW Trammel was a bade idea.   Heart
Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 08:30:28 AM

My take is that they've said things like this before. Quite a few times. "We'll make a decision some time this year (hopefully) one way or another" is a pretty broad timeline to start thinking about maybe doing something - and decisions have been "made" before. They just continue to get re-made because of the turnover.

That said, I think it'd be pretty boss.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 03:19:54 PM by Azaroth »

F  is inviting you to start Quarto. Do you want to Accept (Alt+C) or Decline (Alt+D) the invitation?

You have accepted the invitation to start Quarto.

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
where we pour milk on the stomach alien from total recall
Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 08:37:00 AM

Also - thread title will be exceptionally misleading to those who haven't already seen this.

F  is inviting you to start Quarto. Do you want to Accept (Alt+C) or Decline (Alt+D) the invitation?

You have accepted the invitation to start Quarto.

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
where we pour milk on the stomach alien from total recall
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 09:49:46 AM

If they do this I'll give it a go.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Diablo 3's Number One Fan

Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 01:46:41 PM

Me too.  I hope that the "hey mister will you put a magic lock on my box plz" scam still works!
Arnold
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 01:34:10 AM

How about just changing SP back to Pub 15 and call it the classic shard?
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 02:15:12 AM

I'm sure a lot of people would give it a go but I'm a lot less sure how many would stick around for any length of time.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #8 on: May 07, 2010, 05:17:30 AM

How about just changing SP back to Pub 15 and call it the classic shard?

This. And I would pay.

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: May 07, 2010, 09:43:08 AM

Sweet, I just KNEW Trammel was a bade idea.   Heart

I got a laugh outta that :)

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #10 on: May 07, 2010, 09:49:08 AM

3 months later?  awesome, for real

Things move slow in the graveyard.

-Rasix
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: May 16, 2010, 09:27:09 PM

The problem is, in every person's mind, the build that they view as "classic" existed for about one week.

And that week is different for every person. 

I pick after wands were fixed but before house looting was fixed. 

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Rasix

Reply #12 on: May 16, 2010, 09:47:52 PM

Which form of house looting?  Do you mean just ransacking after getting a key or being able to use rune tricks to slide under their door?  Or perhaps using water tiles to land a boat in their living room? awesome, for real

-Rasix
Xuri
Terracotta Army

몇살이세욬ㅋ 몇살이 몇살 몇살이세욬ㅋ!!!!!1!

Reply #13 on: May 18, 2010, 04:01:12 AM

Or teleporting on top of the roof and taking a step to fall through.
Or stacking crates, teleporting onto said crates and then walking off said crates to land on top of a tower? =P

-= Ho Eyo He Hum =-
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #14 on: May 18, 2010, 08:12:56 AM

One wonders why Raph avoided a z-axis in SWG.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: May 18, 2010, 08:28:52 AM

If you played early EQ at all, you know the problems associated with adding a z-axis.  I have nightmares about the shark portion of the early paladin armor quest and who could forget the trains in Unrest?

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Rasix

Reply #16 on: May 18, 2010, 09:37:15 AM

Or teleporting on top of the roof and taking a step to fall through.
Or stacking crates, teleporting onto said crates and then walking off said crates to land on top of a tower? =P

I had a house that was built partially over a  few tile by few tile sized hole near the fire shrine.  You could open chests in my house from underneath it.

I imagine all of the anti-house looting code was partially implemented just because they had such a hard time making sure the only way into a house and its posessions was through an actual entrance.

Towards the end of my playing time I had rather elaborate methods for entering any house I owned.  I could have a character with a key parked inside that could open a door, I'd relog, and then enter with my main before the door closed.  My PK (pre-murderer) couldn't even do that considering the island we claimed had anti-PK retards (not to mention a flood of ratmen) camping it 24/7.  I just lived with the knowledge that several people I didn't like probably had keys to my house.

-Rasix
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: May 21, 2010, 08:35:01 AM

Yeah, I miss all forms of house fun. IDOCs, pre-secured/locked down items. Ahhh, the good old days.

Raph
Developers

Title delayed while we "find the fun."

Reply #18 on: June 18, 2010, 05:31:30 PM

I didn't avoid it. It just failed to materialize.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #19 on: August 25, 2010, 08:37:26 PM

Decided to check in at Stratcis and found a producer's letter from earlier this month. The short version.

* UO adding WoW-style arenas, apparently.
* Still thinking reaaally hard about a classic shard, final word due by the end of the year.
* Some stuff about extending the live events program to Japanese shards.

WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #20 on: September 05, 2010, 12:19:46 AM

UO going to a "booster pack" expansion model, with a goal of cranking one out every six months. First one is supposed to fix the boat system that's been shitty since launch and add NPC pirates and some other shit. Details scarce. They've talked about customizable boats for a while though.

I figured the most recent expansion would be the last, and that the game was going into zombie mode. Pleased to see it still kicking with active development and even a live events team.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Ultima Online  |  Topic: EA CLASSIC SHARD OMFGGGGHGJKZZRIFFV  
Jump to: