Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:32:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2010 MLS Season 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2010 MLS Season  (Read 6873 times)
sidereal
Contributor

on: January 27, 2010, 01:10:48 PM

Hey, if the fucking Rugby League gets its own thread, then MLS doesn't have to hide in the Eurosnob thread.

Current interesting storylines:

Philly:  Good draft.  No DP yet.  Going to suck a lot, or just a little, or perhaps not even suck at all?

Impact are ahead of schedule and want to come into the league in 2011 alongside the Timbers and Whitecaps.  But how bullshit would it be to have to give up players in expansion drafts for 3 teams at once?  Very bullshit, that's how bullshit.

Players and owners continue to hold guns to their own heads daring each other to fire first in the CBA talks.  Lockout/strike imminent.  Brilliant.

Ljungberg not in camp.  Keller says don't be a douchebag.  Ljungberg says it was a miscommunication but he's only coming back if there's a CBA.  DRAMA.  He missed half the season with migraines and/or yellow cards anyway, so I wouldn't cry too much if he freed up his DP slot for.  . oh, I dunno. . legendary handball champion Thierry Henry?

THIS IS THE MOST I HAVE EVERY WANTED TO GET IN TO A BETA
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 02:20:06 PM

I see little reason that the MLS should control player movement even after the player's contract expires. That's fucked. Giving a larger percentage of guaranteed money should also be in the contract. But if the season gets in anyway delayed, go ahead and turn the lights out now. MLS cannot survive the kind of self-inflicted stupidity the NHL committed.

I really hope the MLS doesn't expand too far, too fast. 20 teams is the absolute limit, IMO. If Montreal becomes the 19th, have they lined up a 30th? Memphis? Atlanta?

I'm not sure about the Fire this year. I know they got a new coach. Anybody got a link showing who has left and who has signed?

sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 02:24:40 PM

I'm twitter buddies with one of the leaders of Section8, I'll find out for you.

David   Myrie          Chicago   Philadelphia   x   expansion draft

Chris   Rolfe                 Chicago   Aalborg (Denmark)   out of contract

Cuauhtemoc Blanco   Chicago   Veracruz (Mexico)   short-term contract

Brandon   Prideaux   Chicago   retired

Gonzalo   Segares   Chicago   Apollon (Cyprus)   signed

and signed...
Julio   Martinez   Leon (Mexico)    Chicago   signed

Krzysztof Król -   Jagiellonia Białystok Chicago Fire on loan

The reason they are arguing over this is that the current structure is part of what keeps the single entity design  viable. Used tobe real easy to do when two guys owned all the teams, but now we're starting to see that change .

The problem is, how to do that transition without destroying the league. MLS is still smal potatoes, even though it's pretty strong now, it's strong because no one really loses when they join. But for every Seattle and philly and now RBNY, you have Chivas USA and Dallas, who is still sucking pretty hard, partially due to buildling out in BFE because no one else wanted them. Houston is a bad stadium move from a similar fate which is why it's so important they get the location promised them ASAP. I think the compromise is a combination of increased salaries, and working with allocation rules to help people who are losing players of marketable value.

Thanks for the separate thread.   I'll post my thoughts on the season later on.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 02:45:16 PM by sigil »
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 09:02:06 AM

Really surprised Phoenix doesn't have a MLS franchise…

Judging from second rate exhibitions where the stadium (whatever they're calling the Glendale stadium where the Cardinals play) is packed, I think it would be a smashing success…

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 09:59:25 AM

You need someone with enough financial security to take a flier on a MLS franchise, which is not  a guaranteed winner in the short term.  Phoenix didn't have much interest from the billionaire class there, which is what it takes to get a sniff from the league.

Also Mexico fans are not instant MLS Fans. It takes a lot of work to get over the inertia that these guys aren't  Club America. However the standard of play is getting close.

On the CBA front Onstad leaked that they've gone for 15 sticking points to two or three.  I think some sort of short term compromise might be in order.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 07:21:25 PM

Are they even considering expansion at this point?  Seems like wishful thinking.  And people from Mexico like Mexican teams.  To think of them as a huge market for MLS is going to be a poor business model for future growth unless they get a lot more well known Mexican players up in the league. 
sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010, 10:34:05 AM

Philly is new for '10. Seattle was '09. Portland and Vancouver for 11.

Seattle has 30,000 season ticket holders.

Philly starts in their own stadium. New York Opens this year in the super sweet Red Bull Park. Only a couple of teams have attendance issue, a few teams are not performing well but the single entity structure makes that  far less of an issue. MLS goes for small stadia, that provides more intimate viewing and owning the properties, or collecting the money from all the ancillary incomes makes MLS a solid investment for those rich enough to get a look from the owners.

There is a relatively small but intensely devoted base for soccer in the US  That base is slowly expanding. MLS is expanding and increasing in popularity. A few latin stars are playing. Blanco in Chicago and Angel in  New York.

Primarily, MLS is going after the 20 somethings. It's doing well. We can thank Don Garber for securing MLS to the point where we can worry about things like Labor disputes.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 10:37:24 AM

That's cool.  I haven't kept up with it very well over the years.  I'm happy it seems to be doing well.

I thought I would see more support for it when I moved to Texas, but it's like a limp, stinky fish to most of the Mexican/Hispanic population down here.  I've pondered going to see Dallas play, but just can't get past my disappointment that I won't be able to see the Wiz play the Burn. 
sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010, 10:41:04 AM

That's cool.  I haven't kept up with it very well over the years.  I'm happy it seems to be doing well.

I thought I would see more support for it when I moved to Texas, but it's like a limp, stinky fish to most of the Mexican/Hispanic population down here.  I've pondered going to see Dallas play, but just can't get past my disappointment that I won't be able to see the Wiz play the Burn. 

That's  because Dallas sucks.  awesome, for real Also sticking it if Frisco was kinda a crowd killer.

Houston does quite well, and have made some inroads with the Hispanic population.
WayAbvPar

Reply #9 on: February 01, 2010, 11:55:04 AM

Primarily, MLS is going after the 20 somethings.

If they capped beer prices at like $4 in the stadiums they would draw even more of this demo  awesome, for real

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: February 01, 2010, 02:02:32 PM

That's one of the things driving the Houston push for a stadium  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #11 on: February 02, 2010, 09:41:29 AM

I used to think putting a team in the San Antonio/Austin area would be a good idea, but having lived here for the better part of a decade I don't think it would fly right now.  That is great that the Houston team is doing well.  It is a closer drive for me so maybe I'll try a game this year.
sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: February 02, 2010, 02:07:12 PM

Schedule comes out tomorrow. I'll post it here for you :)

Ralston left New England and signed with AC St. Louis in second division (whatever they're calling it now.). That leaves Jesse Marsch of Chivas USA as the last of the true originals, players who started on the first week of MLS inaugural season.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #13 on: February 02, 2010, 06:41:34 PM

I played soccer for years up through college.  Basically walked away and haven't even thought about it since.  I was way burned out.  Is Columbus still the "Crew"?  That is another pretty damned stupid name. 
sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: February 02, 2010, 07:45:48 PM

I played soccer for years up through college.  Basically walked away and haven't even thought about it since.  I was way burned out.  Is Columbus still the "Crew"?  That is another pretty damned stupid name. 

Yes it is. They have one heck of a supporters group. the Nordecke. They  get into  a lot of shit with Toronto,  borderline hooligan stuff. Unofficial nickname of the team is Massive, short for Massive Banana. Cause, you know... those yellow unis. They won the cup two years ago and have Guillermo Barros Schelotto leading them. He's a beast to play against.

I have to say, right now, you're looking at  the best time to get into MLS. (Providing they don't fuck up with a lockout or some shit.) Lots of new stadiums, smart, dedicated supporters groups. Every game is available on TV and THE BEST  streaming deal in sports. 20 bucks for the whole season. 800K streams. Two hour turn around to archive.

If you want to get a feel for the community go to the MLS boards on Bigsoccer.com.  The club boards... not MLS General. Holy shit that place makes the Vault at its worst look like peer reviewed academia. The place is practically the de facto standard for getting info on  the teams. I like their main bloggers but YMMV on that.

Side note, Anyone hear about  how John Harkes (longtime team captain) was actually kicked off the 98 World Cup Squad because he was fucking Eric Wynalda's (now ex-)wife? Or that DeMarcus Beasley's car got torched in Glasgow? 

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #15 on: February 05, 2010, 10:01:26 AM

Actually, the technical term for Beasley's incident was "willfull fireraising".  Crazy Scots, haha. 

And I read about the Harkes/Wynalda thing.  Pretty underhanded of Harkes, if you ask me.  Undermining team morale as the captain?  Bullshit.
EWSpider
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: February 05, 2010, 06:39:20 PM

I'm just hoping they rez one of the Florida teams in the near future after the next three they already have planned.  Rise Mutiny!  Rise Fusion!  I'd love to have a team close to me down here in SW FL.

most often known as Drevik
sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: February 05, 2010, 07:08:55 PM

I'm just hoping they rez one of the Florida teams in the near future after the next three they already have planned.  Rise Mutiny!  Rise Fusion!  I'd love to have a team close to me down here in SW FL.

I think you're going to see a team in  Nashville before that happens.  Remember in MLS, it's not  like getting some land or renting a stadium. You've pretty much got to be a billionaire who's not going to mind ten years of slight losses while the brand builds.  Bad sports towns need not apply.

Schedules are out. you can go to MLS net to find your teams. Balanced schedule made things easy this time around.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #18 on: February 05, 2010, 07:28:56 PM

I'm actually very, very impressed that they haven't felt the need to pander to the hispanic population.  Of course building within is how they are going to succeed long term, but hell, I figured they would be better off putting teams in Florida, Texas, Arizona, South Cali, etc. but it seems as if they are trying to build this thing slowly with the right emphasis.  I suspect in 20 years that MLS will be above MLB in popularity, as more and more kids grow up with it being one of the "leagues".  That's cool.
sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: February 05, 2010, 10:34:32 PM

Yes,  the only team that really focuses on Hispanics is Chivas USA. Chivas is also the team that most people think will be shuttled off if Fred Wilpon decides he wants to being back the Cosmos and have them play in a park next to where the Mets play. Now, don't get me wrong, Hispanics are courted, but as part of a larger effort.

Many clubs have the own Academy system, with some really taking it to heart. Houston has one Academy player on their roster I think RBNY has one or two as well.

We're already seeing a much higher caliber of athlete in the U-17's and the U-20's. We're also starting to see finesse players make it to those levels as well as the bruisers. Expectations are being raised gradually.

If we can get the season started smoothly I think it will be a really good year for MLS
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 10:37:20 PM by sigil »
sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: March 20, 2010, 10:48:51 AM

We have a collective bargaining agreement :)

Five years, players got some rights and most contracts are now guaranteed.

Looking forward to watching the friendly tonight at the new Red Bull Arena. 6:30 eastern on FSC.
WayAbvPar

Reply #21 on: March 20, 2010, 11:11:39 AM

So glad they got this done...I was sweating Thursday's opener getting canceled. Woohoo!

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2010 MLS Season  
Jump to: