Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 02:25:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2nd Annual NFL playoff prediction contest 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2nd Annual NFL playoff prediction contest  (Read 15082 times)
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #35 on: January 19, 2010, 01:48:15 AM

Norv has made it to a Conference Championship, at least (2007 season with the Chargers). Wade has never been past the Divisional round as a head coach.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #36 on: January 19, 2010, 07:07:17 AM

Watching Flacco play these last few games makes me wonder how people (including me) thought the Ravens ever had a chance in hell. NF: teams don't go to the Superbowl with mediocre QBs - unless that QB is having a breakout year like Manning did.  Still, the Giants won on close-your-eyes-and-pray pass.

I have never played WoW.
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: January 19, 2010, 09:19:52 AM

Watching Flacco play these last few games makes me wonder how people (including me) thought the Ravens ever had a chance in hell. NF: teams don't go to the Superbowl with mediocre QBs - unless that QB is having a breakout year like Manning did.  Still, the Giants won on close-your-eyes-and-pray pass.

Flacco a different QB in post-season than regular season. In both seasons, his playoff QB rating is half of what it is during regular season play (80/88 for 2008-09 regular season, 50/39 for 2008-2009 playoffs)… …Ravens running game and defense have carried them to 3-2 playoff mark last 2 years. But the defense is still no resemblance of the 2000 season that delivered SB title to Trent Dilfer led squad.

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #38 on: January 19, 2010, 09:23:18 AM

Trent Dilfer doesn't want to disagree with you, but he really really has to. So do Doug Williams, Brad Johnson, Mark Rypien, Jeff Hostetler and Jim McMahon. Teams can win with mediocre QB's. And Flacco seems like at least twice the QB Dilfer was on the same type of team that Dilfer won with. He needs a Shannon Sharpe, though, and he doesn't currently have a receiver who can game in game out catch the ball in traffic.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: January 19, 2010, 01:19:08 PM

You forgot Big Ben in his first Super Bowl.
Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: January 19, 2010, 02:02:00 PM

You forgot Big Ben in his first Super Bowl.

There's a difference between being a mediocre/bad quarterback and having a bad game. Roethlisberger is a franchise QB with all the tools needed for a HOF career. You can't say the same about Dilfer, Johnson, Doug Williams, et. al.

When Fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross - Sinclair Lewis.

I can tell more than 1 fucktard at a time to stfu, have no fears. - WayAbvPar

We all have the God-given right to go to hell our own way.  Don't fuck with God's plan. - MahrinSkel
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #41 on: January 19, 2010, 08:33:03 PM

Heart Jeff Hostetler Heart

God Save the Horn Players
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #42 on: January 20, 2010, 06:42:28 AM

Doug Williams says differently.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: January 20, 2010, 06:43:50 AM

Nebu, as much as I want to see Roethlisberger shatter both his legs in a freak locker room showering accident, I disagree.  He's already won two Super Bowls - and unless I'm mistaken, only Jim Plunkett has won two without making it into the HOF.  And Roethlisberger is WAAAAY better than Plunkett ever was.  If Ben wins a third, he's practically a shoe-in.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: January 20, 2010, 06:47:04 AM

Nebu, as much as I want to see Roethlisberger shatter both his legs in a freak locker room showering accident, I disagree.  He's already won two Super Bowls - and unless I'm mistaken, only Jim Plunkett has won two without making it into the HOF.  And Roethlisberger is WAAAAY better than Plunkett ever was.  If Ben wins a third, he's practically a shoe-in.

I agree and that's why I deleted my post.  I took a deeper look at his stats and felt I was being overly critical. 

Still, the HoF is about how you play relative to both your peers and against history.  Ben does well against history, but in a passing dominated era, he's not as strong a candidate. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: January 20, 2010, 06:52:53 AM

Took me a while to complete my post, so I didn't see the deletion.  Anyway, given his age and likely who will be going up against...he has the Super Bowl edge.  Fair or not, it means a great deal in the mind of the voters.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: January 20, 2010, 06:55:42 AM

Took me a while to complete my post, so I didn't see the deletion.  Anyway, given his age and likely who will be going up against...he has the Super Bowl edge.  Fair or not, it means a great deal in the mind of the voters.

Voters feel that super bowls = team leadership.  It's a sign of a quality QB to lead a team to and win the big game.  Joe Montana won 4 super bowls and won three MVP's (this is from memory, excuse any errors) for example.  That's a HoF QB.   

I think Ben has a shot, but it may take another big game for him to be a lock.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: January 20, 2010, 07:05:02 AM

Yep, two is a strong case by itself.  Two and a solid career are nearly a lock.  Three is a lock, maybe even first ballot?  I can't fucking believe I'm making a case for Ben fucking Roethlisberger.  Let's talk about something else now.

Mark Sanchez:  future HOFer?

I

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #48 on: January 20, 2010, 07:48:46 AM

Sanchez is looking very, very good.  And he seems to have his head screwed on right, unlike Leinart. 
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #49 on: January 20, 2010, 12:01:48 PM

It is going to be Dirty Sanchez on Sunday. But Jets fans are used to shame and disappointment.

I have never played WoW.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #50 on: January 24, 2010, 03:18:10 PM

Jets fans have nothing to be ashamed of from that run. They got a lot of teams to take them seriously this season.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #51 on: January 24, 2010, 09:11:18 PM

The Jets had to rely on Sanchez to win that game, and he didn't. That was all the Colts wanted. If he could beat them, the Jets deserved the Super Bowl. Of course, it didn't help the Jets that Greene got hurt, but still - your QB is there to win games for you. He couldn't. Give him time.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #52 on: January 25, 2010, 03:49:01 AM

Bingo. I didn't expect a rookie to go all the way against Manning and the Colts. He put on a good show early and he will be a force to be reckoned with in the future, but I'm happy with the showing and there's no shame in the result.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: January 25, 2010, 05:31:38 AM

Yeah, good run by Sanchez and the Jets in general.  Nothing at all to be ashamed of there.

Meanwhile, WTF Minnesota?  Fumble much?

shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #54 on: January 25, 2010, 06:39:45 AM

Final update:

Saints = Nebu

Colts = Trippy (by 1pt over Montague)

I have never played WoW.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: January 25, 2010, 06:47:07 AM

Meanwhile, WTF Minnesota?  Fumble much?

It's hard to hold onto the ball with both hands on your throat. 

Sometimes I hate being a Vikings fan. 

-  Mark Twain
Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: January 25, 2010, 10:40:35 AM

Final update:

Saints = Nebu

DOH!   Shaking fist

When Fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross - Sinclair Lewis.

I can tell more than 1 fucktard at a time to stfu, have no fears. - WayAbvPar

We all have the God-given right to go to hell our own way.  Don't fuck with God's plan. - MahrinSkel
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #57 on: January 25, 2010, 11:30:33 AM

Final update:

Saints = Nebu

DOH!   Shaking fist
Wait, how did I beat out Cyrrex? Did I do my math wrong earlier?
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #58 on: January 25, 2010, 11:54:32 AM

No I messed up. I keep forgetting to read Cyrrex's edited paragraph. He initially predicted Vikings.

Colts - Cyrrex by 1pt over Trippy

Lesson: the early rounds do matter!

I have never played WoW.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: February 07, 2010, 08:50:11 PM

Final update:

Saints = Nebu

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

-  Mark Twain
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #60 on: February 07, 2010, 09:12:49 PM

Congrats on the NFL double this year.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: February 08, 2010, 10:42:26 AM

For once, I am quite glad that my pick was wrong.

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #62 on: March 25, 2010, 01:19:19 PM

Detroit Lions, Super Bowl Champs.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2nd Annual NFL playoff prediction contest  
Jump to: