Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 09:43:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Farscape 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Farscape  (Read 10321 times)
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: January 03, 2010, 10:59:50 AM

So, made it through the lot.

Season 2:

Really, the first 1/2 to 3/4 of the season is pretty weak with a couple of exceptions.  Crackers Don't Matter is probably one of the best episodes of the series, and is in the beginning of that season.  Crackers pretty much set the tone for the rest of the show in how far it pushed the limits, introducing Harvey, and the main character's insanity. 

Won't Get Fooled Again is pretty solid as well.  Crichton wakes up back on Earth and he knows it's a hallucination, then things go wierd.

The last portion of season 2 is solid.  The two 3 part episodes are wonderful.  Look at the Princess really gives us the first Scarran antagonist, and Scorpius figures prominently.  Liars and Guns and Money is just solid action/intrigue scifi with heavy doses of Farscape weirdness and insantity.

The final episode of this season, Die Me Dichotomy, is heart-wrenching.  The bad guy wins, a major character is killed, and our hero wants to die.  "I condemn you John Crichton...  to live!"

The entire cast takes a couple of Levels in Bad Ass during this season.

Season 3:

Almost every episode is a keeper, building up to a wonderful season finale.  We get the origins of Scorpius, a couple of main character deaths (and one resurrection), good character growth all around.  At this point, Crichton has become infamous as a criminal and terrorist and that works in as a plot point in several of the episodes.

Eat Me is a favorite, and sets up the midseason story arc.  The game of rock-paper-scissors at the end is just.... 

The last episode ends on an "oh shit" cliffhanger.

Season 4:

Enjoyable.  Some dross problem-of-the-week episodes, but lots of great arc episodes.  The season finale 3 parter (We're So Screwed) is wonderful, and includes Crichton walking around with a fission bomb hooked up to multiple dead man's switches.

The series finale ends on a cliffhanger, and is a hugely powerful moment.

Miniseries:

It's.... alright.  Feels rushed, though it does do a good job of resolving the outstanding story threads from the series.

Overall:

It's character based with long running story elements.  Being character based, that means you need to have flawed characters who tend to be their own worst enemy.  Some of this gets a little tired in a 22 episode season because it feels like they go to the same well a time too many...  Partly fixed in season 3 and 4 by introducing a bunch of new recurring characters that let the writers play out new character interactions.

This is a show that would have benefited by either having reduced season lengths, thus eliminating some of the filler episodes, or by being more aggressive about pushing story/continuing arc episodes.

They did a great job with providing ongoing stories with actual resolution, rather than milking them till the end of the series.  The main romance moves along at a good clip, many of the important character stories get resolutions (D'Argo and his son), and John gets a chance to return to Earth... only that's not what is most important to him anymore.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: February 04, 2010, 03:12:56 PM

The complete series is back down to $60 on Amazon, for the easily swayed!
Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: February 04, 2010, 03:44:28 PM

Scorpius is the best space drama bad guy since Darth Vader.  If it weren't for what's his name in No Country for Old Men, he'd be THE best bad guy since Darth Vader.  If you're currently fighting the urge to mention anything related to Star Trek, you're just wrong.  Keep fighting it.

AKA Gyoza
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: February 12, 2010, 12:53:37 PM

Scorpius is the best space drama bad guy since Darth Vader.  If it weren't for what's his name in No Country for Old Men, he'd be THE best bad guy since Darth Vader.  If you're currently fighting the urge to mention anything related to Star Trek, you're just wrong.  Keep fighting it.
Too true. WAY too true.

Even at the end, it's impossible to tell where his loyalities really lie. And despite this, and despite the fact that no one trusts him and everyone is aware he's like a quintuple agent playing every side against the other in pursuit of some motive, at any given moment his state motivations are absolutely believable. Even to the people he's screwed.

Willing to trade wormhole knowledge for the destruction of that flower was probably the closest he'd get to admitting a true motivation, and yet his character is such that six months later he could believably claim it was all part of some Xanatos gambit.....

Damn good villian. :)
lac
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: February 12, 2010, 01:17:48 PM

I caught a few episodes when they first aired and about ten years later I drunk posted this in the T&A thread:
Then again....
What's that? Leelee Sobieski meets she-Scorpius?
Which got me wondering so I bought the DVD set and really enjoyed watching the entire thing.

I guess a good plot and performance can really linger in ones mind.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Farscape  
Jump to: