Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:08:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: Lacrosse 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Lacrosse  (Read 10784 times)
Bungee
Terracotta Army

on: December 01, 2009, 06:38:41 AM

With the World Championship of Lacrosse coming up in June 2010 in Manchester, I was wondering how this Sport is perceived by the f13ers (especially the American ones ofc).
As I understand it's pretty big on the Eastcoast and the Northwest. Any of you ever played? I hear Intercrosse should be pretty popular in Canada during the Summer, too.

I play myself and I enjoy every NCAA game I can get my hands on (ESPN has some during the season) while I'm not too impressed by either the MLL oder NLL (Box-Lacrosse League).

Freedom is the raid target. -tazelbain
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 06:41:46 AM

I hear Intercrosse should be pretty popular in Canada during the Summer, too.

I pretty much enjoy Intercrosse all year round.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 07:50:08 AM

I've gotten season tickets to the NLL team here in Calgary the last couple of years. Love the game, played it for a couple of seasons before I blew out my knee.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 05:10:46 PM

I find it interesting, since it's close to hockey. Also, the Wings were good.

Gets no play; is Indoor Lacrosse League even around anymore?

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 08:10:29 AM

Gets no play; is Indoor Lacrosse League even around anymore?

http://www.nll.com/

Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 02:13:13 AM

Well , the World Championship is already in the Semifinals.
With the official site down, most things you get at http://2010worldlacrosse.blogspot.com/.
The finals will be televised on ESPNU und and ESPN2.

Oh, and Canada beat the US in the Group Phase. Should make for an interesting Final Rematch :)

WayAbvPar

Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 08:32:26 AM

I wish I would have grown up somewhere this was popular. It looks like it would be fun as hell to play.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: July 22, 2010, 09:41:27 AM

Yeah, same here.  I watch it when I get a chance, or stumble across it, but it's hard to find down here.
Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: July 22, 2010, 01:08:48 PM

For detailed results and Box Scores:

http://results.lakroska.cz/?cmd=game-schedule

Update:

Official Website running again:
http://worldlacrosse.thisisbrandnew.co.uk/

Before I forget:
You can watch the remaining games live and all other games on demand until 2015 on
http://247.tv/lacrosse/fil-world-lacrosse-championships-2010/
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 01:36:41 PM by Bungee »

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 01:14:13 PM

I wish I would have grown up somewhere this was popular. It looks like it would be fun as hell to play.

I agree.  As someone that grew up in the sticks we thought soccer was exotic.  We had more people on the soccer team than the football team, though, so it might have worked.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: July 23, 2010, 08:49:22 AM

Every bar in Manchester is filled with Lacrosse players. I'm not much of a fan but I'm not a huge fan of competitive sports in general and grew up thinking of Lacrosse as a girls sport like hockey. Before anyone complains, yes I am fully aware men play it a lot and I am also aware most of them could destroy me if I ever actually tried to play. I will say they all seem very friendly and it's nowhere near as intimidating as it would probably be if there was some sort of large rugby tournament. The Czech team has some really friendly guys as does the Canadians.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: July 23, 2010, 11:22:11 AM

On an unrelated note:

Being from the EU I didn't get any news outside the lacrosse community regarding the Duke players who were charged with rape, but Duke won the NCAA this year with nearly all the seniors who were there when the charges happened and the program got suspended for a year.

I think it's kind of a feel-good thing that they "rightened" the injustice of those false accusations, but I have no idea if anyone outside the LaX community took notice of what happened in the finals this year...

Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: April 02, 2014, 06:36:31 AM

4 years later, the WC is coming to Denver.

38 nations competing this year, with some tournaments for all age groups on the side. Should make for one lax-crazed city.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 07:17:08 AM by Bungee »

Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: July 28, 2014, 05:59:33 AM

Canada won by the way. Don't think that got much mentioning outside Denver and Canada though.

K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: July 28, 2014, 03:03:22 PM

Is there anywhere online you can watch replays of games? I'd be interested to see a high level lacrosse game.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: July 29, 2014, 01:04:36 AM

Is there anywhere online you can watch replays of games? I'd be interested to see a high level lacrosse game.

http://coachesaid.com/worldlax2014
http://www.espnplayer.com/espnplayer/worldlacrosse2014

To be quite honest, the final game wasn't an entertaining game but one with a brilliantly executed gameplan. The Canadians played to their strength, played incredible defense, got a quick 2 goals and then played keep-away from the US. Great games to watch are all Blue Division games (Canada, US, England, Australia, Japan, Iroquois Nationals) and their matchups against Israel and Scotland.

Edit:

If you just want to see general Lacrosse and not necessarily the WC:
TLN has a lot of MLL and NLL games amongst various College Club (not NCAA) streams available.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 01:18:49 AM by Bungee »

Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #16 on: July 29, 2014, 06:21:16 AM

Canada won by the way. Don't think that got much mentioning outside Denver and Canada though.

It's our national summer sport, and this got no airplay on any of our sports coverage yesterday that I saw.

We have a local NLL team about ten minutes from me, but at $40+ for decent tickets I haven't gone yet.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: July 29, 2014, 06:41:18 AM

It's our national summer sport, and this got no airplay on any of our sports coverage yesterday that I saw.

We have a local NLL team about ten minutes from me, but at $40+ for decent tickets I haven't gone yet.

The finals were on the 20th, so you may have missed any coverage.

Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: July 29, 2014, 06:56:16 AM

TSN re-broadcasted the ESPN feed.  What NLL team are you referring to?  You can get good seats here in Calgary for $20 in the Saddledome.
Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: July 29, 2014, 07:49:24 AM

TSN re-broadcasted the ESPN feed.  What NLL team are you referring to?  You can get good seats here in Calgary for $20 in the Saddledome.

Guess the Stealth. 38 for the sideline does seem a bit high.

Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: July 29, 2014, 08:04:08 PM

Guess the Stealth. 38 for the sideline does seem a bit high.

I've been to quite a few Calgary Roughneck games and theres no way I paid more then $25 for any ticket, inc. the ones right up against the glass (worst seats ever, I'd rather be in the nose bleed section).
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #21 on: July 30, 2014, 06:35:48 AM

Yea, its the Stealth. I think they are trying to pay for moving the team here by overcharging us rubes in the burbs, with the hope of moving the team closer to Vancouver in a few years.

What makes it really sad, is that I can get tickets in the same arena for our local Junior A hockey team for $12.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: July 30, 2014, 12:20:06 PM

I've been to quite a few Calgary Roughneck games and theres no way I paid more then $25 for any ticket, inc. the ones right up against the glass (worst seats ever, I'd rather be in the nose bleed section).

I am pretty sure that the lower bowl tickets are $40ish unless you get a voucher from Safeway - but I have never had to pay for mine  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: July 30, 2014, 03:03:39 PM

I am pretty sure that the lower bowl tickets are $40ish unless you get a voucher from Safeway - but I have never had to pay for mine  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Yeah, I bought mine at Safeway.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: Lacrosse  
Jump to: