Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 11:06:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: Thinking about checking this out again. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thinking about checking this out again.  (Read 34093 times)
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

on: November 10, 2009, 11:13:48 AM

I haven't played this in several years. The wife and I were considering firing it back up. Is it considerably more open in terms of being able to accomplish end game shit without a horde of ridiculous unlocks needed to be able to even see the content?

Edit: That sounded meaner than i wanted to come across. We enjoyed the game, just quit playing it because the constant need to catch everyone up on unlocks destroyed several guilds we were in.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 11:54:55 AM

I'm pretty sure the only thing you need to be flagged for is Veeshan's Peak. There are some other flagged raids, but you just need to have someone flagged zone the entire raid in.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 07:06:58 AM

What is raiding like in EQ2?  Is it like WOW where you spend 3-4 hours a few nights a week type of raiding? 
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 08:30:16 AM

It can be almost anything. My old guild raided 8-11 three nights a week, sometimes finishing early. Others are hardcore lunatics. There's lots of PUG raids and we filled our raids half with pugs at times. I'd say its fairly comparable to WoW. One of the differences is that EQ2 releases more expansions and the level cap is only every other expansion, and going back and doing the previous expansions raids aren't entirely out of the question as challenging and fun.

I don't think the classes are as well balanced as WoW though and that comes out even more with raiding.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 08:32:40 AM

If anyone is interested, the EQ2 complete collection is on Amazon.com for 9.99 as this hour's special.  10:30am Central time, US.

EDIT: Seems it's available until noon central or until they run out. 
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 08:46:26 AM by Nebu »

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Redgiant
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 05:56:20 PM

How is EQ2 for leveling up from scratch now?

I have a couple characters mothballed (I tihink they are a Fury and Coercer in their 40-50s at most), but I was thinking of going more pure heal or pure DPS so I might reroll.

Any particular servers which I should check out? I know they have made EQ2 more solo-friendly over the years (since, like other games, the population decreases). But it would be good if there is *some* low-level life and people to group with.

A FUCKING COMPANY IS AT STEAK
Falwell
Terracotta Army

Ghetto Gear Solid: Raiden

Reply #6 on: November 12, 2009, 01:17:07 AM

Our guys are picking up EQ2 again as well. We were on Mistmoore, but that server is basically a ghost town. Apparently, Antonia Bayle is still supposedly the server to be on. It was packed when we were playing earlier in the year, and still is from what I hear. It's flagged an RP server, but overall there's very little of that.

Anyways, if you guys wanna come hang with us you're more than welcome. We've got about 8 - 10 guys making the move and some of us are rerolling from scratch. We're basically lookling to do group and 2X content until the xpack in February and from there, it's all about interest.

www.thegrubs.com

Make sure ya read the M.O. etc. as we're an.... eccentric bunch. If ya like what ya see let me know. I'm starting my new toons on AB today.

EDIT: This is an open invite to f13 cats btw. As long as you can handle the foul mouthed, blue collar, thick skin required crowd, you'll do nicely. I have to get our EQ2 apps forum up again but in the meantime you can just PM me here or on our forums or post in this thread of course.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 01:21:33 AM by Falwell »
Falwell
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: November 12, 2009, 01:42:55 AM

One last thing, disregard the raid recruitment info on the front page. That's for the WoW branch and they're very deep into raiding yet. We're having no requirements on playtime, experience or any of that noise for the EQ2 cats.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #8 on: November 12, 2009, 06:56:32 AM

As long as you can handle the foul mouthed, blue collar, thick skin required crowd, you'll do nicely.
I'm sure you'll be a welcome addition to the roleplaying server.
Falwell
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: November 12, 2009, 07:09:48 AM

Heh, nah, we make it a point to keep all our shit in house. We're not looking to ruin anyone's scene. We know our way isn't for most and we don't force our noise on the general populace.

Redgiant
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: November 13, 2009, 02:30:31 PM

I registered on TheGrubs as redgiant today, and I have the game updated.

What class(es) seem needed (I saw your note about the few not to roll)?

I have played most caster/healer types and hybrids, so I really don't care from a "oh this is new and cool to try" standpoint. It's mainly for a usefulness and grouping.

A FUCKING COMPANY IS AT STEAK
Falwell
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: November 13, 2009, 04:46:10 PM

I registered on TheGrubs as redgiant today, and I have the game updated.

What class(es) seem needed (I saw your note about the few not to roll)?

I have played most caster/healer types and hybrids, so I really don't care from a "oh this is new and cool to try" standpoint. It's mainly for a usefulness and grouping.

Anything ya wanna play my good man, we're not too picky atm and we can put a group together fairly easily with what we have. So play what interests ya the most.
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: November 14, 2009, 01:51:21 PM

I ended up re subbing to check this out. Sadly all my characters are on Blackburrow. The volume of changes to the game since I quit in 2006 is staggering. Its like a brand new game for me.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: November 14, 2009, 01:57:47 PM

Yeah, the game has gotten so much better. One reason I still favor EQ2 of all mmos.
Falwell
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: November 15, 2009, 03:10:28 AM

I think it's about the best DIKU offering out there right now, at least as far as PvE goes. The amount of shit do in this game is just staggering.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: November 15, 2009, 05:16:02 AM

I think it's about the best DIKU offering out there right now, at least as far as PvE goes. The amount of shit do in this game is just staggering.

The only complaint I have with EQ2 is that combat feels sluggish when I come back from playing other MMO's.  That and I wish my coercer could solo like my brigand.

I love the crafting, housing, collections, appearance tab, and heritage quests.  

« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 05:17:39 AM by Nebu »

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: November 15, 2009, 07:45:06 AM

They can't solo /like/ your brigand, but I really really enjoyed soloing on a coercer. Of course, I died a lot and I only hit 25 or so before I deleted him because I dropped off the Station Pass last year. Charming puts a cool spin on the solo game, and the cc was a lot of fun.

But I also have a level 75 wiz, so I'm used to being squishy and dying alot. Have you tried an SK? Probably my favorite class, my long term (heh, measured in years apparently, at my rate) goal is to use my wizard to twink up my SK. Not as easy in EQ2 with trivial loot as someplace like LotRO where you can farm grey gear.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: November 15, 2009, 07:55:08 AM

The only complaint I have with EQ2 is that combat feels sluggish when I come back from playing other MMO's.  That and I wish my coercer could solo like my brigand.

Have you ever raided in EQ2? The combat does move a bit slow at lower levels, but as you develop this really huge menu of things to do, the extra time lets you get off a lot of stuff and use your abilities. I'm lucky if I get a chance to toss out a flame shock between heals in WoW, but I regularly would DPS, toss out a half dozen different debuffs, and main tank heal in EQ2.

Brigand is not known for soloing, but I thought it was the easiest character I ever levelled in EQ2. There's a lot of difference in class on soloability, including a decent amount of "punish the group friendly in soloing/punish the solofriendinly in raiding" left from the original design.

Falwell
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: November 15, 2009, 11:49:22 PM

The only complaint I have with EQ2 is that combat feels sluggish when I come back from playing other MMO's.  That and I wish my coercer could solo like my brigand.

Have you ever raided in EQ2? The combat does move a bit slow at lower levels, but as you develop this really huge menu of things to do, the extra time lets you get off a lot of stuff and use your abilities. I'm lucky if I get a chance to toss out a flame shock between heals in WoW, but I regularly would DPS, toss out a half dozen different debuffs, and main tank heal in EQ2.

Definitely of the same opinion. On my Inq turned Temp I'd solo heal many of our 6 mans and still have time to throw out debuffs and some light DPS. It's mostly because the healing in EQ2 is very defensive / trigger based. Or, at least from the Temp / Inq perspective.

As far as the combat is concerned I actually prefer this system. I like the lack of a GCD (which is just baked into the cast times I know), the ability to queue your next skill, and the tons of abilities. Probably because I used to raid heal as a WoW Holy Pally so I got my fair share of one button lameness.
Xuri
Terracotta Army

몇살이세욬ㅋ 몇살이 몇살 몇살이세욬ㅋ!!!!!1!

Reply #19 on: November 16, 2009, 12:31:49 AM

Tried downloading a "Streaming" Trial-version for this yesterday, but the patcher doesn't seem to like Windows 7 much. Constantly froze up while trying to load latest news and/or checking the status of the streaming client. So I've decided not to try it after all.

-= Ho Eyo He Hum =-
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: November 16, 2009, 05:30:03 AM

Tried downloading a "Streaming" Trial-version for this yesterday, but the patcher doesn't seem to like Windows 7 much. Constantly froze up while trying to load latest news and/or checking the status of the streaming client. So I've decided not to try it after all.

I couldnt even get that far, I kept getting errors(Windows 7 as well).  Ill have to dig up the CD's to reinstall. 
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: November 16, 2009, 05:52:44 AM

From memory, you need to give launchpad.exe, everquest2.exe, and eq2.exe administrator permissions. And I can't remember if the launchpad is the one in the eq2 folder or the one in the launchpad folder or both.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: November 16, 2009, 06:56:18 AM

I recently reinstalled from the launcher in W7, but I didn't use the streaming client. I just set it up before I went to bed.

W7 (or maybe the fresh install vs a 2 1/2 yr old install) seems to have fixed my crash issues in places like Neriak and PoF.
Xuri
Terracotta Army

몇살이세욬ㅋ 몇살이 몇살 몇살이세욬ㅋ!!!!!1!

Reply #23 on: November 16, 2009, 07:35:13 AM

I've been unable to find any other download than the streaming client :/ Though I haven't tried piratebay yet =P

-= Ho Eyo He Hum =-
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: November 16, 2009, 07:40:48 AM

I've been unable to find any other download than the streaming client :/ Though I haven't tried piratebay yet =P
There used to be a permanent link in the official eq2 forums to the full client download.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Ozzu
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: November 16, 2009, 05:14:42 PM

I signed up today and created a Kerran Monk named Ozzu on Antonia Bayle. I used the Station Launcher and just downloaded it in there. Very very fast download too.

Edit: Oh and an invite into Fallwell's guild would be most excellent.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 05:18:15 PM by Ozzu »
Falwell
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: November 16, 2009, 08:25:05 PM

No sweat Ozzu, I set ya up with members access on the forums also.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: November 19, 2009, 10:23:18 PM

I ended up re subbing to check this out. Sadly all my characters are on Blackburrow. The volume of changes to the game since I quit in 2006 is staggering. Its like a brand new game for me.
If you're still playing on Blackburrow, feel free to shoot a tell to Klazzle or Kyosuke; one's my solo character and the other I duo with my girlfriend. I've got characters in nearly every level range (and mentoring is always an option!) if you wanna group up or something.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: November 20, 2009, 12:03:19 PM

Hey Falwell, what's your char name on AB?  I'm there as well but I don't think I've seen anyone tagged <The Grubs> yet.  I'm mostly on as Darema (In Safe Haven, though).

Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: November 20, 2009, 01:24:55 PM

If you're still playing on Blackburrow, feel free to shoot a tell to Klazzle or Kyosuke; one's my solo character and the other I duo with my girlfriend. I've got characters in nearly every level range (and mentoring is always an option!) if you wanna group up or something.

I joined up with a guild called Phoenix Rising, i think. Blackburrow doesn't appear to be very populated. I wish like hell Sony would offer a bulk deal on character server transfer pricing.

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: November 20, 2009, 01:52:02 PM

I wish SOE would give up their cracked database excuse and let people have more characters per server.  I'm fine with a 7 character limit, but make it per server instead of per account.  Right now I'm sitting at 4 chars on AB and 2 on Nagafen, which leaves me to either delete a character somewhere, use my last remaining slot, or get another account (ain't happening).

Chintzy bitches.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: November 20, 2009, 01:58:02 PM

It hurt deleting characters when I stepped down from Station Pass to normal sub. Station Pass is just about right.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: November 20, 2009, 02:06:23 PM

Yeah, but I have reasons why I can't subscribe to Station Pass.  It's still cheap to limit players to 7 chars total in a game that has numerous combinations of races/classes to work with. 

Asheron's Call allowed more characters than that and it came out in 1999!  The excuse is the sheer number of items stored in the database per character and while I can understand the reasoning, I don't accept it. It doesn't make sense to say "our database handles a lot of data now, and we aren't going to let it handle more just because we say so?"  Isn't that what databases are for?

Falwell
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: November 20, 2009, 08:22:52 PM

Hey Falwell, what's your char name on AB?  I'm there as well but I don't think I've seen anyone tagged <The Grubs> yet.  I'm mostly on as Darema (In Safe Haven, though).

Piles on AB. I'm usually playing during the day as I work on what is basically a nights schedule. There's about a dozen of us atm with a couple left to transfer yet.

EDIT: I am however taking a three day weekend starting tomorrow so I'll be around in the evenings.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 08:32:30 PM by Falwell »
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: November 21, 2009, 08:46:53 AM

Yeah, but I have reasons why I can't subscribe to Station Pass.  It's still cheap to limit players to 7 chars total in a game that has numerous combinations of races/classes to work with. 
Oh, I'm not arguing with you, I'm agreeing with you :) There's one reason they do it: $$. EQ2 has a lot of multiboxers, too. My setup isn't conducive to it, but I did set up a second account because it's the same money to run two accounts, get an extra couple character slots (14 vs the 12 of the Pass), and the occasional dual box as a side benefit.

With SWG a complete mess and PS a tired old wreck, I don't see any reason to subscribe to the Pass anymore. It used to be a great deal.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: Thinking about checking this out again.  
Jump to: