Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 09:33:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Game Design/Development  |  Topic: Unity 3D - 2.6 launched, it's free now 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Unity 3D - 2.6 launched, it's free now  (Read 5713 times)
squirrel
Contributor

on: October 30, 2009, 12:37:32 PM

Unity3d just released version 2.6 for OS X and Windows. They've changed the pricing structure significantly.

For 2.5 there was an Indie license and Pro license ($249, $1499).

For 2.6 there is no Indie version, it's been replaced by a free version with the same functionality. Pro is still $1499.00. If you own Indie license you get a $400 discount on upgrading to pro.

Not to shill it out, it's a pretty big change though.

Speaking of marketing, we're out of milk.
Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 12:38:42 PM

Yeah, my game dev side project switched over in a hurry to it. They also added support for real version control systems.  Heart
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 04:57:43 PM

/necromonger

I finally got around to fooling with this today using some of 3dBuzz's tuts.  Like it.  Like it a lot.  I'd been in love with UDK before but Unity is just a more streamlined system.  Kinda reminds me of XSI's no nonsense, uncluttered approach.  I also like the fact you can script directly with c# or javascript rather than fooling around with unrealscript/kismet.  In this aspect Unity somewhat forces you to get back to raw coding, but they make it easy to apply the scripts to objects.  (btw, XSI scripts in C# also if you're into that program)

It's just overall a much simpler tool to fully grasp whereas UDK tended to get rather cluttered at times, even for the free version.  There's also more vast differences between the enterprise version of Ue3 and UDK... whereas Unity doesnt have such a stark contrast.

Anyways, I just started playing with it along with kinda sorta getting back into c# and VS2010 (interesting stuff there too btw).  Now that Buzz is off Epic's payroll they've pretty much jumped on the Unity bandwagon it seems.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
squirrel
Contributor

Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 01:16:20 PM

Mild Necro - Unity 3D 3.0 has been released. It's got a tonne of new features and stuff. If you care, check it out!

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 02:38:56 PM

Kinda reminds me of XSI's no nonsense, uncluttered approach. 

You must be speaking of another app.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 04:36:23 PM

Bizzump.

Couple specific questions about Unity:

1. Can I code in C/C++ or how close to the metal can I get? For example say I wanted to change or rewrite the rendering system?

2. How do I get art assets into unity? use Maya/Max and then some handy exporter thing?

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: March 17, 2011, 06:43:10 AM

Very few engines give the source code for free, script layer is usually what you get. As for models, I believe Unity is COLLADA/FBX supported, along with many app native formats.

Also: I'm somewhat bored with medieval stuff, someone contact me if you have any fun things to make!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 08:40:30 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
nurtsi
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 12:44:42 PM

1. Can I code in C/C++ or how close to the metal can I get? For example say I wanted to change or rewrite the rendering system?

If you get the pro version you can write plugins with C/C++, but I don't know what parts of the engine they've exposed.
squirrel
Contributor

Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011, 11:15:52 AM

Bizzump.

Couple specific questions about Unity:

2. How do I get art assets into unity? use Maya/Max and then some handy exporter thing?

The scripting engine supports C# or JScript. As mentioned the pro version also supports C/C++ plugins, but you don't get direct exposure to the core engine afaik.

Asset import/export is really slick. It supports Maya/Max models 'natively' and FBX as well as a plethora of image/sound formats. Quickest way to see is download the trial/indy version and muck about.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Game Design/Development  |  Topic: Unity 3D - 2.6 launched, it's free now  
Jump to: