Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:45:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Best web april fools pranks? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Best web april fools pranks?  (Read 12423 times)
Jon Carver

Email
on: April 01, 2004, 10:18:08 AM

This being the day that it is, I thought it would be fun to collect the best web april fools pranks.  Here's my nomination for best, WoW's two headed ogre playable race: http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/races/two-headed-ogre.shtml
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: April 01, 2004, 10:20:34 AM

I thought this one from Google was pretty damn good considering the amount of time someone took to write it all up. (HiDeHiDeHo ;)

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
Faust
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: April 01, 2004, 11:04:53 AM

Kin Rha
Rodent
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: April 01, 2004, 11:06:11 AM

Beyond Unreal reports that UT2004 has been released for free due to legal problems.

Wiiiiii!
schild
Administrator

Reply #4 on: April 01, 2004, 11:06:44 AM

Faust - how did you not read the first post of this thread? Seriously, this is not a rhetorical questions, I'd like to see an answer.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #5 on: April 01, 2004, 11:45:43 AM

Am I the only person that sees playing a 2 headed ogre as fun?  Really, the opportunity for hilarity, power and diversity are all there.

It would be a potential coding nightmare though. Ohh well, that's one April Fool's joke that would be kinda cool if it weren't one.

-Rasix
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: April 01, 2004, 12:12:49 PM

I've gotta nominate L2's changing the fem dwarf model to not look like an underage girl, chuckled at that.
Shroud
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: April 01, 2004, 12:15:11 PM

One of my old favorites got an update.

http://www.bungie.com/products/pimps/pimpsatsea.htm
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: April 01, 2004, 12:35:54 PM

My wife would actually strongly support the L2 female dwarf change as an improvement.  She is a real fan of dwarves and is dead set that female dwarves have beards.  Any that don't are just pansy elf wannabes.  Needless to say she is greatly offended at the L2 dwarven female.  In fact she was offended that only 2 of the original EQ dwarven female faces had beards (she approved of those two faces greatly though).

I personally think a non-bearded female dwarf is silly.  Just the fantasy I grew up on I guess.

Two headed ogre would be a blast.  but even more fun if you could pick your bodymate.  I would fire one up with Kaid in a heartbeat.  In fact it would make me buy the game.  As it is, I have pretty strong doubts I will ever try it until I can log on during a free trial to check it out.  And open beta does not count.  No way their servers could ever survive any open beta.  I would not even bother downloading the client.
Ballast

Email
Reply #9 on: April 01, 2004, 12:36:36 PM

EVE-I did their own, which was kind of amusing.

CCP followed suit shortly afterward. Both bits can be found on the EVE-I front page.
LadyGuardian
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: April 01, 2004, 12:38:43 PM

I thought gamefaqs April 2002 prank was nifty. Fortunately, I remembered to take a screencap.
UD_Delt
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: April 01, 2004, 01:04:33 PM

I personally enjoyed http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/28/36726.html">the registers mocking of the drudge report....

In other news, the Drudge Report will report that Newsweek will report that BusinessWeek will report that Microsoft owns a monopoly share of the desktop operating system market, that Intel's Itanium processor is struggling, that Richard Stallman is a bit wonky and that the Earth travels around the Sun. It's unclear how these revelations will affect the Kerry campaign.

For a roundup of the day's pranks check out http://www.snopes.com/daily/200404/aprilfool.asp">Snopes.
Riley
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: April 01, 2004, 01:38:45 PM

The Register has another decent one about Intel:

Intel's Itanium rockets to 64-bit shipment lead

"This proves that enough money and marketing can make anything possible," said Intel's CEO Craig Barrett. "To be honest, we were sweating the first ten or so years, but, at the end of the day, we knew Intel would own this part of the market that it rightfully deserves."

Intel's server processor chief Mike Fister was a bit more modest.

"I am the lizard king," he said.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #13 on: April 01, 2004, 03:42:44 PM

Not a web prank, but Howard Stern was off the air until 7:20 and some idiots touting "Fun without the Filth" were on instead. I have to say I got fooled.

I have never played WoW.
WayAbvPar

Reply #14 on: April 01, 2004, 05:07:25 PM

Quote from: Rasix
Am I the only person that sees playing a 2 headed ogre as fun?  Really, the opportunity for hilarity, power and diversity are all there.

It would be a potential coding nightmare though. Ohh well, that's one April Fool's joke that would be kinda cool if it weren't one.

If you could choose who you could be paired up with, it might be tolerable. The idea of randomly being matched with one of the drooling imbeciles that make up a majority of WoW's fan base makes my teeth itch. /shudder

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: April 01, 2004, 05:25:08 PM

Quote from: WayAbvPar
If you could choose who you could be paired up with, it might be tolerable. The idea of randomly being matched with one of the drooling imbeciles that make up a majority of WoW's fan base makes my teeth itch. /shudder

However, it would be comedy gold.  The worse it got for the players the more humerous it would be for casual observers.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #16 on: April 01, 2004, 05:46:37 PM

Not to mention, think of how much pain your causing the drooling imbicil.  Think of what it must be like for a bnet idiot to be forced to play the new Blizzard game with somebody normal.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: April 01, 2004, 06:57:04 PM

lol seriously, this would be the best thing in a MMORPG since males being able to wear female armour in UO.
lariac
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: April 02, 2004, 04:45:29 AM

I like the world of warcraft one...

Also the Middle earth online gigantic chicken was good

`A`ohe lokomaika`i i nele i ke pāna`i
Rodent
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: April 02, 2004, 05:20:45 AM

Quote from: Speedy Cerviche
lol seriously, this would be the best thing in a MMORPG since males being able to wear female armour in UO.

There was quite nothing like the heavy crossbow wielding crossdressing cannibal pk mages of early UO.

Wiiiiii!
Alrindel
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: April 02, 2004, 08:20:29 AM

I thought NTK kind of hit the nail on the head this year:

Thanks be to the radically distributed nature of teh Intahweb, instead of (say) two or three weak jokes being enforced on us by the goliath media conglomerate juntahs, we can now suffer billions of April Fool japes, merrily filling up your inbox, clogging your RSS feed, and archiving and indexing themselves for eternity - to the point where the whole tradition has moved from "an excuse for funny jokes" to "day of the tedious lies".
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #21 on: April 02, 2004, 08:27:44 AM

Quote from: ajax34i
I've gotta nominate L2's changing the fem dwarf model to not look like an underage girl, chuckled at that.

Now THAT shit was funny.

I still think it would have been funnier to give their upskirt panty shots a border of "fuzz" shall we say. Nothing like bush spilling out of the camel toe to get the teens a frothing.

daveNYC
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: April 02, 2004, 08:49:31 AM

Personally I think they should add the two-headed Ogre.  It'd be a giant smoking hole in the ground, but it'd be new and exciting.

Plus they'd get my $50.
Rei

Email
Reply #23 on: April 02, 2004, 10:08:10 AM

People shouldnt really announce ACTUAL news on April Fools Day, it gets lost in all the retarded fake updates.

Remember the GIA? They closed their doors on April 1st. No one believed the site was ACTUALLY being shut down.

God I miss that site, Gameforms is missing something the GIA had.
Faust
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: April 02, 2004, 10:27:37 AM

Faust - how did you not read the first post of this thread? Seriously, this is not a rhetorical questions, I'd like to see an answer.

UH... ::scratching head::

That's a good question.  Mental Brown-Out, I guess.

Guess I'm working a little hard these dasy.  My "kill time surfing" sessions come in about 10 second increments.

Kin Rha
Glamdring
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: April 02, 2004, 10:20:08 PM

I don't know how many of you actually visit the maddox site, but if you go there occasionally you might enjoy his april fool's joke :

http://maddox.xmission.com/c.cgi?u=april_fools04
schild
Administrator

Reply #26 on: April 02, 2004, 11:33:44 PM

A Tale In the Desert gets my props. Those devs really are....erhmm interesting.

Shamelessly taken from MMORPG.COM and written by Craig McGregor:

"Players of eGensis' non-violent, construction-orientated MMORPG "A Tale In the Desert" woke to an unexpected surprise this morning. Observant players noticed a number of unusual artefacts available at Egypt's schools, with unfamiliar names like "Cataclysmic Mace of Malevolence +8", and "Apocalyptic Axe of the Thunderlords +9". Later in the day, it was discovered that the game's population of giant scarab beetles - usually docile, cabbage-eating beasts - had transformed into vicious blood-thirsty monsters.

In possibly the most elaborate MMORPG practical joke ever, the developers of A Tale in the Desert have added a full combat system to the game, incorporating hitpoints, XP, levels, and monsters who carry an assortment of "Phat l3wt" from other games. Drops of Platinum pieces, Simoleans, Credits, Rupees, and "There Bucks" have all been reported by players so far.

Normality is expected to return by April the 2nd."

EDIT: added link
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: April 03, 2004, 08:33:20 AM

Wow.  ATITD wins.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: April 03, 2004, 08:50:54 AM

They had to be working on that for weeks.  Thats an impressive April Fo0ls joke.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
daveNYC
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: April 03, 2004, 10:23:56 AM

When I become rich, I'm hiring those guys to make my dream MMOG for me.
Mediocre

Email
Reply #30 on: April 03, 2004, 11:03:09 AM

That is beauty.

Oh, and if you're an AC Type, there was an Ulgrim quest that went live on April 1st, with multiple Ulgrims of all different types, and many references to SNL's Blue Oyster Cult Behind the Music skit.

The reward being a Robe of Ultimate Comfort, AKA the Bathrobe.

The players were a bit disappointed, though, because of what was in the Portal.dat file; the encrypted file of the game's new icons every month, which players have long since learned how to crack on patch day to get an idea of what's coming up.

In the portal.dat was: A flying saucer, capes of all different colors, horses, Flying horses with capes, chainmail bikinis, a laser gun, a dual-wield two-sided axe, a UFO flying saucer, and I think a little alien man.

None of which were involved in the april fool's joke whatsoever, just put in to get our hopes up.
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: April 03, 2004, 02:05:00 PM

Yeah, that would be the one where people can only play when invited by you and you can perma-IP ban anyone on a whim, right?
daveNYC
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: April 03, 2004, 09:15:49 PM

Quote from: Alluvian

Yeah, that would be the one where people can only play when invited by you and you can perma-IP ban anyone.

Like The Gyro Captain said, "My snake, I trained it, I get to eat it."

Although you have to admit, it would be one way of solving the a-social griefing asshole problem.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #33 on: April 05, 2004, 09:00:44 AM

Quote from: Alluvian

Yeah, that would be the one where people can only play when invited by you and you can perma-IP ban anyone on a whim, right?

UH, fuck yes. These guys deserve a multi-million dollar budget to do a combat-oriented MMOG which would quite literally make most MMOG player's heads explode. They definitely win for "Most Creative Use of an MMOG for an April Fool's Joke."

evan
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: April 05, 2004, 11:44:04 PM

I also thought the two-headed ogre idea was awesome. The main problem though would be that many of those ogre heads would be asleep, since even close friends don't always play at the same time. Some way to ensure that both heads are always inhabited...
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Best web april fools pranks?  
Jump to: