Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:43:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Music thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 74 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Music thread  (Read 815223 times)
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #770 on: September 21, 2011, 06:17:51 PM

I'm surprised Stipe is still alive.  The guy has looked sickly for 30 years. 

I figured he had whatever is ailing Jobs.  Maybe they gave it to each other.   awesome, for real
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #771 on: September 21, 2011, 06:30:16 PM

Looks like REM is breaking up.  I can't imagine that too many people around here will care that much given the musical tastes I see, but they were certainly icons.  They should have done this a few albums ago, but that's okay I suppose. 
There's a separate thread for this:

http://forums.f13.net/index.php?topic=21296.0
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #772 on: September 23, 2011, 07:20:29 AM

Was cleaning the basement and took a break to partake in one of my favorite: sitting at the drumkit with the ipod on random and jamming along with whatever comes up.

1. I love James Brown.
2. I hate Lars Ulrich on ..And Justice.
3. Brann Dailor...gaaaah.
4. The Allmans having two drummer is odd to play along with.
5. Going from James Brown to Skynyrd, the kick drum parts reverse where they fall before/after the beat.
6. Now I can't get this song out of my head.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #773 on: September 23, 2011, 09:24:18 AM

This should be a good palate cleanser for your drumming.

Fool in the rain

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #774 on: September 23, 2011, 10:58:29 AM

File under: sonofabitch. We got tickets wednesday for Warren Haynes in Geneva. Had to stretch the schedule to get there, going to be a bitch. Today I found out Chris Cornell is doing an acoustic show (make-up date for a cancellation) at THE EGG (Albany, easy to get in/out). I've wanted to see Cornell acoustic SO BAD, I'm considering eating the $100 for the Haynes tickets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFTpD__wxr4
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #775 on: September 23, 2011, 05:47:21 PM

File under: sonofabitch. We got tickets wednesday for Warren Haynes in Geneva. Had to stretch the schedule to get there, going to be a bitch. Today I found out Chris Cornell is doing an acoustic show (make-up date for a cancellation) at THE EGG (Albany, easy to get in/out). I've wanted to see Cornell acoustic SO BAD, I'm considering eating the $100 for the Haynes tickets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFTpD__wxr4
Try and Craigslist your tickets.  I have not seen Chris Cornell doing acoustic but I have seen him in a small venue (200 or so) and it was the best concert I have been to.
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #776 on: September 24, 2011, 03:22:03 PM

Zola Jesus' new album is streaming for free over at the Guardian

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/musicblog/2011/sep/22/zola-jesus-conatus-album-stream?newsfeed=true

dark, atmospheric female driven, think Imogen Heap meets Hope Sandovil.  I dunno, what to really call it, check it out, I am loving her voice, and the last two tracks are smashing. 

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #777 on: September 25, 2011, 09:23:55 PM

Huh.  Randomly discovered that youtube is streaming Metallica's perfomance at Rock in Rio tonight:

http://www.youtube.com/rockinrioeuvou?feature=ticker
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #778 on: September 28, 2011, 10:07:40 AM

Ended up buying Cornell tickets. We've seen Haynes with the Allmans a lot, but Cornell doing an acoustic tour might not happen again for a while. So if anyone wants early admission tickets to see Warren Haynes in Geneva Nov 17th (only 50 early admission tickets, general admission show), lemme know. I'll dump em cheap.

Saw Primus last night. Fiancee said I've "expanded her musical horizons", she was really into several of the songs. She found it funny that Les would play three notes and the audience would go nuts, knowing what the song was.

My own highlights: 2 of the 3 songs I really wanted to hear most. Jerry Was A Race Car Driver and an extended encore of Southbound Pachyderm (which I used to jam with a drummer in the period after my band split). The lone no-show was my favorite, Tommy the Cat. They closed with Winona, which was fun but no Tommy. Second set was the entirety of Green Naugahyde, which ranged from amazing to good, with only one weak song in the set. I like the Eyes of the Squirrel and Extinction Burst quite a lot. At one point, she leaned over during the YYZ-like section of Extinction Burst and said she thought she was at a Rush show (another show I dragged her to where she may not have been prepared for the fan response to something like Temple of Syrinx). She's buying the new album!

Really strong show and I highly recommend checking out the current lineup, because they really suck. Sell my left lung for Jay Lane's skills.

http://blog.timesunion.com/localarts/primus-at-the-palace-theatre-92711/18277/
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #779 on: September 28, 2011, 11:19:32 AM

For those Rush fans out there, VH1Classic (or regular VH1, I can't remember which) is running a marathon of Rush content tonight, including Rush in Rio, a documentary on the band, and Rush Time Machine.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #780 on: September 28, 2011, 11:24:51 AM

It sounds more like Les's solo stuff than it does like most Primus, but that's to be expected given the long hiatus really. Still very good stuff, although the tracks that I like the best differ from yours (Tragedy's a Comin', Lee Van Cleef, Eternal Consumption Engine). I like it better than Punchbowl or the Brown Album probably.

Never really cared for Rush though, despite posessing the prog gene.  tongue

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #781 on: September 28, 2011, 11:28:27 AM

For those Rush fans out there, VH1Classic (or regular VH1, I can't remember which) is running a marathon of Rush content tonight, including Rush in Rio, a documentary on the band, and Rush Time Machine.

Oooooo!

While driving this weekend, I found my copy of Exit Stage Left.  I've had Xanadu stuck in my head for the last three days.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #782 on: September 28, 2011, 11:35:11 AM

How is Rush not in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?  I love Rush.  I own all of their cd's, concert dvds, and have seen them live 4 times.  I am a Rush Fanboi.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #783 on: September 28, 2011, 11:42:41 AM

Anti-objectivist conspiracy, clearly.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #784 on: September 28, 2011, 11:48:45 AM

Anti-objectivist conspiracy, clearly.

Don't be hatin'

-  Mark Twain
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #785 on: September 28, 2011, 12:01:11 PM

More seriously, hardly any of the big prog acts are in except for Pink Floyd. Kind of a blank spot in the Hall's lineup really. Rush, Yes, King Crimson, Emerson Lake & Palmer, Tull, Moodies, all missing. I guess Genesis is in there, but I suspect more for the less proggy Phil Collins years.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #786 on: September 28, 2011, 12:35:24 PM

It's an easy answer. Because the Hall of Fame people are dicks and idiots with little sense of what makes good music.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #787 on: September 28, 2011, 12:41:02 PM

I like it better than Punchbowl or the Brown Album probably.
I think Punchbowl might be my favorite, and they leaned pretty heavy on it last night. Wynona, Pachyderm, Mrs. Blaileen, Over the Electric Grapevine. Brown Album is the only one I don't have, cash flow for music was dry when it was released. Hard to call a favorite, though, my favorite tunes from the band span pretty much every release (and every Les line-up).
It's an easy answer. Because the Hall of Fame music industry people are dicks and idiots with little sense of what makes good music.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #788 on: September 28, 2011, 12:43:52 PM

I enjoy Primus for their musicianship, but it all gets kind of samey-same to my ears after 30 mins.  By incorporating synths, other prog trios (ELP, Triumph, Rush, etc.) get a bit more variety in their catalog. 

-  Mark Twain
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #789 on: September 28, 2011, 02:06:34 PM

I enjoy Primus for their musicianship, but it all gets kind of samey-same to my ears after 30 mins.  By incorporating synths, other prog trios (ELP, Triumph, Rush, etc.) get a bit more variety in their catalog. 

Primus is massively more enjoyable live than recorded.  Literally, people who would never listen to Primus dig them live.  Hell, I didn't really like the Brown Album, but I caught a show right after it was released and the live versions were just great.

I'm really surprised by the lack of love for the old classics like John the Fisherman (preferably with extended YYZ intro), Frizzlefry, and Harold of the Rocks.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #790 on: September 28, 2011, 02:24:57 PM

I think I'd like the Brown Album much better if it wasn't for the incredibly muddy production.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #791 on: September 28, 2011, 03:26:25 PM

Synthesizers are the devil's posterior gaseous expulsions.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #792 on: September 28, 2011, 04:17:07 PM

« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 04:21:46 PM by Ingmar »

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #793 on: September 28, 2011, 07:56:49 PM

I don't count clavinets and B3s...but some of the stuff Bernie was playing with Funkadelic was using some real garbage patches, the parts down on the hammond or whatever were great. I guess I mostly think of the digital crap when I hear 'synth'.

One of my favorite clips, I used to love dropping acid to this VHS (but if you ever see the DVD, watch the original version, the director's cut is awful):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oc4qi03QgOg
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 08:03:08 PM by Sky »
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #794 on: September 28, 2011, 08:57:21 PM

Goddamn I haven't seen that in twenty years...  That took me back a bit.  Had a mild flashback, thank you very much.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #795 on: September 29, 2011, 11:51:37 AM

God I hate Rush.

Mainly because Geddy Lee's voice makes me want to stab people, I will admit they are very good musicians that play enjoyable instrumental tunes. Put his voice on there and I seriously want to kill someone.

It might have something to do with the fact that the classic rock station in Champaign used to play 2-3 Rush songs an hour when I was in high school.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #796 on: September 29, 2011, 12:04:38 PM

I had always thought Rush was fronted by a woman. A friend had to correct me years ago.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #797 on: September 29, 2011, 12:56:21 PM

Fucking Philistines.

Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #798 on: September 29, 2011, 04:01:48 PM

Mainly because Geddy Lee's voice makes me want to stab people,
As someone who can sing just like him, there's a reason I don't do karaoke ;-)
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #799 on: September 30, 2011, 08:14:46 AM

A heads-up for those not living in the cultural desert: Kyuss has reformed without jackass Josh and is currently touring with the Sword (under the name "Kyuss Lives!"). Would really like to see that show....cultural desert.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #800 on: October 06, 2011, 01:25:59 PM

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #801 on: October 07, 2011, 08:56:04 AM

As for the Primus stuff, I actually think a lot of the songs on the new album sound like a combination of Frizzle Fry and Les' solo work, as Ingmar said.  Tragedy's a' Comin', for instance, sounds like it could've been a Frizzle Fry song.  That's fine by me though, I spent more of my youth listening to Frizzle Fry and Seas of Cheese than pretty much anything else.  Jay Lane's return might have something to do with my feeling that way.  I'm happy to have a new album, and I like it; looking forward to seeing them live again, finally.

I came here to post this though.  It's Tom Waits' latest song off of Bad as Me, titled "Back in The Crowd."  It's a lovely track and he hasn't recorded a new ballad in a long time.  Real Gone didn't have any.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #802 on: October 10, 2011, 11:41:11 AM

I'd like to be listening to Björk's Biophilia right now but the only thing I can get the CD to play on is my PS3, and the TV speakers suck. The disc is clearly not damaged or null, so I'm suspecting an act of copy protection bullshittery. Don't know what to do.

[EDIT] Now it works. So very confused. I've been fucking about trying to get my laptop to play the damn CD for over 2 hours. Play minecraft for a bit, return to iTunes to demonstrate to flatmate the non-working of the CD, and it works. So either Minecraft or my flatmate are magic. I give up on technology.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 12:57:16 PM by Mattemeo »

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #803 on: October 11, 2011, 01:26:51 PM

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #804 on: October 11, 2011, 01:51:51 PM

Synthesizers are the devil's posterior gaseous expulsions.
[/quote]

Surely you jest
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 74 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Music thread  
Jump to: