Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:21:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Music thread 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 74 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Music thread  (Read 815347 times)
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #665 on: July 22, 2011, 07:20:13 AM

Right now we're just coming off the high of the Tedeschi Trucks release, Revelator:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZOBUcnNp04
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7czlanjaObs

Going to pick up some tickets to Primus in Albany. I was thinking about it, I met Ler back in 86 when he was in Possessed, thought about trying to get a pass with my pics. Then my fiancee started singing D's Diner and told me she's ok with hitting a Primus show, "if I don't embarrass her" I told her at that show, I'm the normal one and she's the embarrassing one :) Seeing Tommy the Cat live is on my bucket list, so yeah.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #666 on: July 22, 2011, 10:20:59 AM

Wasn't the biggest Primus fan, but a good friend of ours is, so we got to see them in the mid-90s. 

1.  First show I'd been to that I actually felt nervous about being crushed to death.
2.  About three songs into their set, I got smacked in the face with a drumstick.  Literally smacked in the face.  It hurt.  Managed to catch it though, and give it to my buddy after the show. 
3.  A t-shirt was thown onstage and hit Les.  He stopped mid-song, about 5 songs into their set.  Said "If one more thing comes up here, we walk."  Next song, a shoe hits his bass.  They all stop mid-song, Les sings acapella "Good night sweetheart, well it's time to go..."  and they walked.  Set done.  Chanting began on the way out "Find the motherfucker with only one shoe!"
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #667 on: July 22, 2011, 01:15:57 PM

I'm a big fan, looking forward to the new album.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #668 on: July 22, 2011, 01:58:28 PM

3.  A t-shirt was thown onstage and hit Les.  He stopped mid-song, about 5 songs into their set.  Said "If one more thing comes up here, we walk."  Next song, a shoe hits his bass.  They all stop mid-song, Les sings acapella "Good night sweetheart, well it's time to go..."  and they walked.  Set done.  Chanting began on the way out "Find the motherfucker with only one shoe!"
As a professional, I fully support an artist's right to do this.  I know if I'm in the middle of a set and some douchebag hits me in the face, I'd walk off too.  Especially after the audience has been warned not to do it again.  I've heard various artists over the years discuss the oddities that have made it onto stage from audiences: from clothing to mud to rocks to used hypodermic needles.  I never throw things onstage and have made it a point to bop idiots that do over the head for it.  Motorhead threatened to leave the stage after Lemmy almost got hit twice in one song with 2 different shoes.  There was a guy near me in the audience from where the shoe was tossed who got punched in the face right after he said it by some other people in the audience.  Nothing more was thrown...
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #669 on: July 22, 2011, 02:04:14 PM

The mud shower during "My Name Is Mud" during the Primus Woodstock appearance is fairly legendary too, I want to say they also walked off from that.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #670 on: July 22, 2011, 04:56:46 PM

Oh yeah, I totally support their decision to walk.  I can completely appreciate that.  I just want my pro-rated $20 out of the asshole who threw the shoe. 

It was a cool show, too bad it got cut short.
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #671 on: July 27, 2011, 08:43:39 PM

Holy shit, Voivod lives on in Vektor.  Insanely good, exquisitely technical, modern trash metal.  I'm so damn happy to have found this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsudyBzPGEI
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #672 on: July 27, 2011, 08:51:13 PM

*sigh* Why must modern metal bands have guys that sound like they're making puking noises when they sing on lead vocals.  I enjoyed it until I heard him.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #673 on: July 27, 2011, 09:21:12 PM

I thought similarly in the past.  Finding bands and thinking 'this music is exactly what I'm looking for, except for these horrid vocals'.  Music was good enough that I kept listening though.  6 months later I was thinking...what the fuck are these clean vocals doing here?  It actually took me a while to be able to listen to any clean vocals without wincing in a similar way that I used to wince at the 'pukey' vocals.  I guess there's not a point to this, other than I didn't even think of the unappealing nature of the vocals when I posted the link.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #674 on: July 27, 2011, 09:26:30 PM

For the most part I don't even bother clicking on metal links any more. The cookie monster has all but killed metal. So fuck you, cookie. Fuck you.

I know it's tough to find a good singer. And I was spoiled by having a guy who was part David Lee Roth, part Bruce Dickinson and part Geoff Tate as our vocalist. But c'mon, it ain't THAT hard to find a singer.
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #675 on: July 27, 2011, 09:35:10 PM

The cookie monster has all but killed metal. So fuck you, cookie. Fuck you.
Exactly how I feel these days.  I'm ticked.  Sure, there are good bands out there but SO many of them use cookie monster as inspiration and it really annoys me.  Not to mention dropping to D and playing with 1 finger up and down the fretboard has gotten a bit stale to me as well.  I thought I might just be getting old...
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #676 on: July 28, 2011, 07:42:53 AM

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #677 on: July 28, 2011, 07:44:43 AM

I'm getting accustomed to semi-cookie vocals. Some bands are good enough to overcome it. Arch Enemy is a good example in my opinion. Vektor, however, doesn't sound the least bit cookie monster, they sound like old school metal.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #678 on: July 28, 2011, 08:28:06 AM

I thought similarly in the past.  Finding bands and thinking 'this music is exactly what I'm looking for, except for these horrid vocals'.  Music was good enough that I kept listening though.  6 months later I was thinking...what the fuck are these clean vocals doing here?  It actually took me a while to be able to listen to any clean vocals without wincing in a similar way that I used to wince at the 'pukey' vocals.  I guess there's not a point to this, other than I didn't even think of the unappealing nature of the vocals when I posted the link.

I'm just old. I never liked Cannibal Corpse, Sepultura, etc.  Slayer was about as hardcore as I'd get on the lousy/ shouty vocals.  The lyrics and singing has always been an integral part of music for me, so that kind of metal has never attracted my attention.  You can do power singing without sounding like vomiting, there's been plenty of singers - male and female - able to do it.

Plus it makes me think of jackasses in makeup & masks.  Another feature of "nu metal" I can't stand.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #679 on: July 28, 2011, 08:42:38 AM

When I was first getting into metal, I was pretty open. But after a year or two, Slayer was about as grindyvocal as I'd go. I preferred more melodic, syncopated stuff over the more repetitious barky stuff, for the most part. That's why I love the direction Mastodon is moving. Just listened to their new track and goddammit every time I hear them I want to sit down at my drum kit for a couple hours until my leg turns to jelly. Wish I could afford a double pedal (or even a real damn kit).

Not a fan of masks and makeup for the most part, but then there's King Diamond and Slipknot, both of whom are amazing and the theatrics work for both of them quite well.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 08:51:35 AM by Sky »
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #680 on: July 28, 2011, 09:20:56 AM

The cookie monster has all but killed metal.

That's retarded.

Vektor, however, doesn't sound the least bit cookie monster, they sound like old school metal.

That's what i thought, its an old school rock/metal voice. Not really my thing though. Unless you go balls out!

King Diamond is legend, Slipknot are hacks. They are about as good as limp bizkit, who just wanted to be a pop version of Biohazard anyway.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 09:30:57 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #681 on: July 28, 2011, 09:36:05 AM

Slipknot is better than pretty much every band you've posted in this thread.

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #682 on: July 28, 2011, 09:37:09 AM

Sure.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #683 on: July 28, 2011, 11:02:12 AM

Slipknot always make me think of Insane Clown Posse. That is not a favorable comparison.

Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #684 on: July 28, 2011, 10:15:09 PM

The obvious answer to cookie is to listen to instrumental.  awesome, for real

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofzDM7QHgKU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zx897Einljk

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #685 on: July 28, 2011, 10:21:38 PM

Sure.

Catfight.    Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Slipknot always make me think of Insane Clown Posse. That is not a favorable comparison.

They're obviously nothing alike.  If you had any goddamned clue you'd realize that they are discrete and highly talented bands. 
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 10:24:10 PM by ghost »
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #686 on: July 28, 2011, 10:42:37 PM

Give me just simple shouting over cookie monster any day. I think Nailbomb is about as close to cookie monster as I will go.

Maybe this is why I would rather listen to Oi than metal.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #687 on: July 29, 2011, 06:06:26 AM

Ha ha! Nailbomb , haven't heard that in a bit.

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #688 on: July 29, 2011, 03:01:09 PM

What about Linkin Park?

Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #689 on: July 29, 2011, 03:20:54 PM

I like this type of 'cookie monster'. Its more of a froggy old man growl than the walrus-passing-a-bowling-ball nonsense.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #690 on: July 30, 2011, 06:37:08 AM

What about Linkin Park?
Since the first time I saw them I've had a feeling their lead singer was being held back by the band. They've had some great moments, but their sameyness has been a big let-down. First thing they should've done was get rid of the guy who wants to be the lead singer (I don't know their names, the guy who thinks he can rap).

As far as "cookie" vocals, I'll take these guys any day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eELOuoLB_0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0aIjyX7vwI
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #691 on: July 30, 2011, 08:08:09 AM

What about Linkin Park?
Since the first time I saw them I've had a feeling their lead singer was being held back by the band. They've had some great moments, but their sameyness has been a big let-down. First thing they should've done was get rid of the guy who wants to be the lead singer (I don't know their names, the guy who thinks he can rap).

Listen to their newest album - A Thousand Suns - on Spotify.  Lots of old fans of the band dislike it because of how it's moved from their older stuff but I think it's pretty good.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 08:10:49 AM by Merusk »

Ozzu
Terracotta Army

Reply #692 on: July 30, 2011, 08:51:22 AM

« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 08:53:18 AM by Ozzu »
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #693 on: July 30, 2011, 02:11:14 PM

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #694 on: July 30, 2011, 03:54:47 PM

I'm getting accustomed to semi-cookie vocals. Some bands are good enough to overcome it. Arch Enemy is a good example in my opinion. Vektor, however, doesn't sound the least bit cookie monster, they sound like old school metal.

half cookie:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SF0U77bm9mc

A cure for the cookie  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLe1G7WBNkE&feature=fvst   why so serious?

have a cookie:   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gTCgYurcVs

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #695 on: July 30, 2011, 04:15:19 PM

Bülent Kullukcu - To Me

'old' (2003) but  Heart

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #696 on: July 30, 2011, 05:55:23 PM

Going to pick up some tickets to Primus in Albany. I was thinking about it, I met Ler back in 86 when he was in Possessed, thought about trying to get a pass with my pics. Then my fiancee started singing D's Diner and told me she's ok with hitting a Primus show, "if I don't embarrass her" I told her at that show, I'm the normal one and she's the embarrassing one :) Seeing Tommy the Cat live is on my bucket list, so yeah.

Saw them once in Montreal (where the vendors blithely sold alcohol to any kid that was taller than the table they were at), and once at SPAC as part of one of the late-'90s era festivals.  Their music (even the bad recorded albums) is infinitely better live...  so much so that even the girls we were with who had never heard the band before were digging it.

I don't know how they are now, but they put on an awesome show in the '90s.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #697 on: July 31, 2011, 12:40:44 AM

I love me some Primus!  Last time I saw them though was when they opened for the Rush Roll The Bones tour. 
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #698 on: August 03, 2011, 07:35:52 AM

Oh hell yeah:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TroC7yIVOFw

That's what I'm talkin' bout. How did I not know this track!? So much amazing music hidden away, so little time to absorb it all.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #699 on: August 03, 2011, 09:04:21 AM

I was listening to "Got My Mind Set On You" by George Harrison this AM and couldn't help thinking that the song was probably written by McCartney and given to Harrison as a bone.  It really sounds like a McCartney tune.  Or Harrison just plagiarized it again from something McCartney was working on.  The station we listen to also plays a lot of Wings, and holy fuck McCartney was/is talented.  It's not my usual listening fare, but he had it going on in the '60s and '70s.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 74 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Music thread  
Jump to: