Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:56:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Music thread 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 74 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Music thread  (Read 815292 times)
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #630 on: May 18, 2011, 01:52:26 PM

I find it pretty similar compositionally/structurally overall but I haven't really done an in depth study or anything. More than most of the others I would say there are tracks on each that wouldn't feel out of place on the other, though. This is more or less what you'd expect with them being consecutive albums though, CYH is a step down the road to the next stuff.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #631 on: May 23, 2011, 12:37:15 PM

It looks like old Vinnie Vincent hasn't aged well.

He just got arrested for smacking his old lady around.    Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

In better days.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #632 on: May 23, 2011, 01:56:23 PM

Vinnie Vincent looked awful when he was young, too. Don't you remember the Invasion?

Was a good music week last week. Saw James Taylor last Wednesday, not normally my thing, but it was a really enjoyable show. Saturday we saw Skynyrd and ZZ Top from the 8th row center. Kinda bad seats for us, we've seen them both from the front row and are generally wicked spoiled for getting great seats...but these were still pretty awesome seats. No guitar picks or swag, though. I'd estimate the beer sales at the Knickerbocker at about 40 billion dollars.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #633 on: May 23, 2011, 02:01:23 PM

I'd love to see ZZ Top.  How is the revamped Skynard?
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #634 on: May 24, 2011, 11:57:13 AM

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #635 on: May 25, 2011, 08:00:09 AM

I'd love to see ZZ Top.  How is the revamped Skynard?
Solid. We've seen them three times now - bring ear plugs. They play too loud, it kinda distorts everything. My hearing is already fucked up and they've caused more damage, which I'm not all that happy about (my tinnitus is noticeably louder, and after we say them in the front row I actually had buzzing for a day).

But the newer guys are solid, the piano player in particular fills the rather substantial shoes well. The first time we saw them Billy was still alive and was really my favorite part of the show. But it's a good time, lots of dancing and singing and general booziness going on. Of course I had to stand next to the one guy in the pit who wasn't getting into it - why the hell would you go see Skynyrd and just stand there like a statue? He didn't even crack a smile, it was creepy.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #636 on: May 26, 2011, 01:23:58 PM

Most of my musical rotation lately is taken up by Mumford and Sons and Trampled by Turtles.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #637 on: May 26, 2011, 02:28:10 PM

I have never heard of Trampled by Turtles, but the name is kick ass.  I may have to check that out. 
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #638 on: May 26, 2011, 03:40:03 PM

They're a sort of intense modern bluegrass with punk/alt rock roots.  At least check out the first song on their latest album, the song is called Wait So Long and the album is called Palomino.

For not being rock, it rocks.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #639 on: May 26, 2011, 04:34:45 PM

Just bought it.  Thanks for the tip!  I like it a lot. 
Arrrgh
Terracotta Army

Reply #640 on: May 26, 2011, 04:40:49 PM

Any recommendations about ugly fuckers who made it anyway? People like Tom Waits or Lyle Lovett.  I think if you're that ugly and make it you must have great vocal talent.  I'm tired of pretty hacks.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #641 on: May 26, 2011, 06:46:15 PM

Tom Petty is pretty damned ugly, as is Keith Richards. 
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #642 on: May 26, 2011, 06:47:53 PM

For maximum ugly you need to go to Ric Ocasek, or Lemmy.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #643 on: June 17, 2011, 09:00:54 PM

Don't know about ugly, but for the sheer audacity of it:

Canadian Hardcore band write double concept album/rock opera about love and loss in the 70s at a spa town in England, is album of the year contender.

Fucked Up. You guys are so much goddamn win.

Queen of Hearts

A Little Death

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #644 on: June 17, 2011, 11:00:39 PM

« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 11:28:33 PM by Sky »
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #645 on: June 24, 2011, 11:50:59 AM

Age Of Nemesis - Tree Of Life   ( Tested Cookie Monster free )

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #646 on: June 24, 2011, 01:07:46 PM

Great vocals, too bad he's not singing for one of those awesome bands stuck with a shitty monster vocalist. Not a fan of the majority of the music on that track, though.

I was just listening to Motley Crue's Shout at the Devil. What a great album, Mick Mars was so on point.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #647 on: June 25, 2011, 07:04:53 AM

So last night I went to the Blues fest downtown and we hear this 15 year old kid play that was un-fucking-believable. Definitely going to see him play again tonight. Kid was just amazing.

His name is Matthew Curry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcgoZuF9qXg

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #648 on: June 26, 2011, 09:26:21 PM

A little of what I've been listening to recently.

Nightmares on Wax - I am You
Autechre - Foil
Legendary Pink Dots - Waiting for the Cloud

I debated adding a link to SPK, or Brighter Death Now, but decided against it, as it's the music thread, and I didn't think anyone would see it as music, other than myself.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #649 on: June 27, 2011, 06:43:46 AM

Hey, I put in some vintage Surfers and almost nobody likes them. Almost defines 'love it or hate it', but Psychic Powerless and Rembrandt Pussyhorse are amazing albums.

Chimpy, 15 is so old in blues these days. We saw this kid Quinn Sullivan open for Buddy Guy at the Egg, he just turned 12. His voice hasn't changed yet, but I thought he was a really talented singer.
Ozzu
Terracotta Army

Reply #650 on: June 27, 2011, 09:56:38 AM

Good song. Great title for a song.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Giant Squid - Throwing a Donner Party at Sea
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #651 on: June 27, 2011, 11:47:01 AM

Hey, I put in some vintage Surfers and almost nobody likes them. Almost defines 'love it or hate it', but Psychic Powerless and Rembrandt Pussyhorse are amazing albums.

I'm pretty big on Flaming Lips, watched a movie of theirs recently and Gibby showed up in it.  He says "Hmm…How would I describe a Flaming Lips show to someone who had never seen them? Well, I'd first ask them if they'd ever seen a Butthole Surfers show."  He's an awesome combination of genius and dick. 

And yes, almost nobody likes them...  It's music I can put on when I want to be alone, usually. 
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #652 on: June 27, 2011, 12:51:13 PM

How could you not like an album with a back like this? 

Butthole Surfers have been pretty varied in their music over time.  They've even had a big hit, with Pepper.  I used to love them back in the day, but have found that it doesn't translate into my almost elderly state. 
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #653 on: June 28, 2011, 07:47:04 AM

I still love them, but have to be in the mood for it. I can't go from Segovia to Gibby.

I saw them in 86, tripping in the pit (our local venue had an actual concrete pit in front of the stage, best venue ever). There used to be a metal pole in the middle of the front of the stage, I was leaning against it and Gibby was sitting about two feet away from me staring at his effects rack. I kept calling out songs and they kept playing them, it was insaaane.

Then I saw them just after Pepper at a big outdoor show. They were headlining a festival, last band on. They came out and played Pepper and said "Ok, now every who loves that song can go home because we're going to play shit you hate." 3/4 of the place left and the rest of us had a good time grooving to the old stuff.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #654 on: June 29, 2011, 05:29:25 PM

Heeeyy, it's summer! So, two dance hits:

Alexandra Stan - Mr. Saxo Beat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sS76eS34Y0c

I would do unspeakable things to her.

Alex Gaudino feat. Kelly Rowland - What a feeling
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbHUzxhzemU

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #655 on: June 29, 2011, 05:38:13 PM

I got hooked on this track for a bit...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pwIr-j2b2I

And Bombay Bicycle Club is slowly growing on me.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #656 on: July 04, 2011, 10:32:14 AM

Limp Bizkit have a new album out apparently  swamp poop

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #657 on: July 04, 2011, 11:02:15 AM

Limp Bizkit have a new album out apparently  swamp poop

So, this is the music thread. I am not sure how Limp Bizkit fits into the discussion.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #658 on: July 05, 2011, 06:36:17 AM

Well played sir

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Ozzu
Terracotta Army

Reply #659 on: July 20, 2011, 04:10:21 AM

Some 'Die Apokalyptischen Reiter' off their latest album (which is very good):

Moral & Wahnsinn
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #660 on: July 20, 2011, 06:23:36 AM

Actually listened to much of that new Bizkit album on Spotify. I'm a Wes Borland fan, though, and I like their rhythm section. Music is pretty good throughout. They really need a singer, though; or even a good rapper.
Some 'Die Apokalyptischen Reiter' off their latest album (which is very good):

Moral & Wahnsinn
Oh, look: german cookies. That song is a mess. Nice disco guitar/beat  Ohhhhh, I see.
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #661 on: July 20, 2011, 10:33:16 AM

Spin Magazine has released a tribute album for Nevermind that they're giving away as a free download: http://www.spin.com/articles/free-album-spin-tribute-nirvanas-nevermind

The version of 'Polly' by Amanda Palmer is excellent.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #662 on: July 20, 2011, 10:53:17 AM

Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #663 on: July 20, 2011, 06:08:55 PM

Don't know about ugly, but for the sheer audacity of it:

Canadian Hardcore band write double concept album/rock opera about love and loss in the 70s at a spa town in England, is album of the year contender.

Fucked Up. You guys are so much goddamn win.

Queen of Hearts

A Little Death

oh those are great, thank you, album on the way.   if you like that you might like Leatherface? they had an incredible album called Mush back in the day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZQ_7s0Fg48
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQJshGbYkxM&feature=related

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #664 on: July 21, 2011, 07:09:27 PM

Justin Broaderick's new album:  Jesu - Ascension

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VZzMdM7_78

Haven't finished it yet, but it's damn good.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 74 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Music thread  
Jump to: