Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:20:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Music thread 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 74 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Music thread  (Read 815248 times)
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #560 on: January 18, 2011, 07:46:06 AM

Yeah, Mumford and Sons have put out a very nice album.  There are a lot of groups out right now that fit that same mold:  Avett Brothers, Fleet Foxes, Ray Lamontagne are just a few.  

Edit:  And if you like those guys, you would love GWAR.  And the Black Company is good too, I hear. 
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #561 on: January 18, 2011, 10:19:20 AM

Hard to say 'mold'... Mumford and FF are very, very different music.  Unless you want to wrap them all under a folk listing, but even that isn't quite right.  I'm a huge FF fan, not so much on the Mumford group (good songwriting, just a bit too poppy for my tastes). 
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #562 on: January 18, 2011, 11:11:43 AM

The only Fleet Foxes song I've heard is White Winter Hymnal, which I love not only for the music but for the words once I really listened to them.  Unless of course I'm hearing wrong, but something about hearing "with scarves of red tied 'round their throats, to keep their little heads, from falling in the snow" just makes me giggle.  It's so insiduous, IMO. 

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #563 on: January 19, 2011, 12:25:48 PM

Hard to say 'mold'... Mumford and FF are very, very different music.  Unless you want to wrap them all under a folk listing, but even that isn't quite right.  I'm a huge FF fan, not so much on the Mumford group (good songwriting, just a bit too poppy for my tastes). 

I have no problem listing a lot of these bands under the "folk" moniker.  Sure they're different, but that's what makes music good.  Variety is nice. 
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #564 on: January 19, 2011, 12:31:13 PM

Mumford & Sons seems more David Matthews than folk. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #565 on: January 19, 2011, 12:45:49 PM

Mumford & Sons seems more David Matthews than folk. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

There's not anything wrong with that?  Haha. 

I always have felt they were closer to Arcade Fire, who I consider folksy as well. 
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #566 on: January 19, 2011, 12:53:06 PM

I can see that, but the difference is that Arcade Fire seems to achieve its effect through a whole lot of musicians who can all play their instruments well, but not very well, whereas Mumford seems to have a lot of compact talent. Still not my thing, but I can totally see why people love them.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #567 on: January 20, 2011, 07:55:20 AM

Baroness is my favorite metal band atm imo. Good for bike riding.. :)

Danzig is still awesome. Rock Out

Ever since he left Rick Rubin, his vocals haven't sounded as good, but the new album is better. He also did a duet with Melissa Auf der Maur that's pretty cool (I would just recommend Auf der Maur in general too).

Father's Grave
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 08:09:15 AM by stray »
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #568 on: January 23, 2011, 06:24:31 PM

Baroness is my favorite metal band atm imo. Good for bike riding.. :)

Danzig is still awesome. Rock Out

Ever since he left Rick Rubin, his vocals haven't sounded as good, but the new album is better. He also did a duet with Melissa Auf der Maur that's pretty cool (I would just recommend Auf der Maur in general too).

Father's Grave

if you like baroness, check out Kylesa

As for danzig's voice, saw him a month+ ago, and we walked out after about 4 or 5 songs.  His voice is shot, and he sounded horrid.  Probably due to years and years of singing with poor technique.

this always makes me smile Danzig Plus Shakira
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzxDCflZb_E&feature=fvst

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #569 on: January 23, 2011, 07:50:21 PM

As for danzig's voice, saw him a month+ ago, and we walked out after about 4 or 5 songs.  His voice is shot, and he sounded horrid.  Probably due to years and years of singing with poor technique.
In the studio recordings he always sounded all right, but every bootleg live recording I've ever heard has had pretty terrible vocals.  I couldn't tell if someone was flubbing the mix or if his voice just wasn't that great live.
Ozzu
Terracotta Army

Reply #570 on: January 25, 2011, 03:23:37 AM

Moon Safari is an interesting band. They can all really sing and they're technically prog rock, but it's pretty light with lots of vocal harmonies.

A couple of songs. The first is much more proggy. The second isn't very proggy at all.

The Ghost of Flowers Past

New York City Summergirl

« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 03:28:31 AM by Ozzu »
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #571 on: February 15, 2011, 10:43:43 AM

« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 11:43:47 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #572 on: February 15, 2011, 12:14:41 PM

The Haggard started out good, got silly in the middle and then the cookie monster showed up, as I knew he would.

The other one is decent enough, if no soul. And the keyboard player needs to be stabbed to silence.

It's been so difficult to find a metal band that kicks as technically with soul the way that Mastodon or Mars Volta does. Just the sheer amount of groove, melody and brutality both bands exhibit is where I'm at with metal these days (though MV does wander into chaos a bit much for my tastes).

Promo vid of Oblivion up on Mastodon's tube channel from their forthcoming live cd/dvd  DRILLING AND MANLINESS Brann.... Love Letters

I may be something of a rhythm section whore, though...
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #573 on: February 15, 2011, 01:56:58 PM

I hear a lot of good things about Mastadon and keep meaning to pick up one of their albums. 
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #574 on: February 16, 2011, 06:12:13 AM

Crack the Skye is an amazing album. Their older stuff is tougher for me to get into because they've moved more toward singing on Skye, and I find non-singing music pretty unlistenable, even if it's really good music. The goofball cookie monster shit is a show-stopper. Hell, even my fiancee likes Coheed and Cambria until he starts his little tiny voice shit.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #575 on: February 16, 2011, 06:53:31 AM

That is good information.  I will check Crack the Skye but, as with you, I really hate crappy vocals.  It is likely I would have been turned off by their earlier music.  
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #576 on: February 16, 2011, 08:48:27 AM

« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 08:52:48 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #577 on: February 17, 2011, 04:42:56 PM

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #578 on: February 18, 2011, 07:07:15 AM

« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 07:14:34 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #579 on: February 23, 2011, 08:42:52 AM

Today's Wolfgang's Vault deal is a monster: http://www.wolfgangsvault.com/the-dirty-dozen-brass-band/concerts/twiropa-may-01-2003.html - $5 mp3, $7 FLAC for non-members. Almost two hours of funk horn hotness.

My fiancee got me a membership for valentine's day, it's $48 for a year of unlimited streaming (today's deal would cost me $3.50 mp3, $4.90 for FLAC), discounts on normal pricing and a $50 Vault credit.

So far I've gotten a smokin' James Brown 69 show, and I'll probably pick up today's deal. Tomorrow is Aretha 1971 and Friday is Band of Gypsys 1970. If you like classic rock, blues, funk, jazz, country and/or folk, it's a great deal. Less downloadable stuff in heavy rock/metal, but they do have some old Sabbath and others, I got a live UFO 75 show that's pretty wicked. I've also bought some old Santana with Schon, I think it was just before they hit the studio for Abraxus.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #580 on: February 23, 2011, 12:59:10 PM

Is this thread just metal now?  Here's an eclectic mix of stuff that are about as different from each other as you can get.

In the early days of this thread, someone mentioned Sufjan Stevens.  His newer stuff is a departure from the folksy Illinoise, but I still find the new sound very interesting.  Sufjan Stevens - I Walked

Next there's Spiral Beach, which is who I always think of when someone mentions indie rock. Spiral Beach - Kind of Beast

Crystal Castles can be difficult to listen to, but Celestica is one of the exceptions.  It's pure  Heart

And finally, some noise pop.  Sleigh Bells - Tell 'Em

Over and out.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #581 on: February 23, 2011, 02:00:49 PM

Wow.  That's amazing, Sky.  I love JB.  I'm going to check that out for sure.  Thank you. 

As for the metal bent of the thread, I think it's pretty weird how many of the folks here are heavily into metal.  I used to like it, but my tastes have mellowed significantly.
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #582 on: February 23, 2011, 05:35:59 PM

I used to like it, but my tastes have mellowed significantly.
I like metal just as much as I used to, but I tolerate crappy metal considerably less than I ever did when younger.  If it has cookie monster vocals it's 98% automatically out the door, I don't care how great the instrumental section is.  Certain bands that still produce good music ala Judas Priest and Iron Maiden still get bought, listened to, and regular rotation.  I just vary my tastes around to different bands I hear about that "you really should listen to, man!" and have been discovering quite a bit of good stuff, albeit some of it is 70's vintage since that's what I've been finding lately in the CD stores.
sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #583 on: February 23, 2011, 06:09:35 PM

Yeah, Mumford and Sons have put out a very nice album.  There are a lot of groups out right now that fit that same mold:  Avett Brothers, Fleet Foxes, Ray Lamontagne are just a few.  

Edit:  And if you like those guys, you would love GWAR.  And the Black Company is good too, I hear. 

Marcus Mumford  = Tim Tebow

if you like the recording, make every effort to see them live. Amazing show.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #584 on: February 23, 2011, 06:58:12 PM

I find myself drifting back to a lot of music I liked back in my high school days-  Social Distortion, The Clash, Echo and the Bunnymen, Simple Minds.  I just can't take that much guitar.  I like Tool and from time to time will pull out Integrity, Slayer, Mean Season, Snapcase or something else pretty intense, but for the most part I'm just not into that as much.  I tend to go back and forth between some electronic selections, old shit and folky stuff.   Get off my lawn!
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #585 on: February 24, 2011, 08:57:59 PM

What your favorite classic rock band says about you
 Heart

I am not a fan of classic rock, as a rule. 

[quoteAllman Brothers Band: You do not own a bong, but can quickly make one from a piece of fruit or an abandoned toilet.[/quote]
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #586 on: February 25, 2011, 11:04:01 AM

I find myself drifting back to a lot of music I liked back in my high school days-  Social Distortion, The Clash, Echo and the Bunnymen, Simple Minds.  I just can't take that much guitar.  I like Tool and from time to time will pull out Integrity, Slayer, Mean Season, Snapcase or something else pretty intense, but for the most part I'm just not into that as much.  I tend to go back and forth between some electronic selections, old shit and folky stuff.   Get off my lawn!

Integrity eh?  I don't think you can use  Get off my lawn! if you own their album Humanity is the Devil as that is some heavy heavy stuff.

I am all over the map these days, this weeks listening at work has included:

Kitaro - new age
Infected Mushroom - psych trance
Mumford and Sons - Nu Folk  why so serious?
Flogging Molly - Irish tinged punk... stuff
Lucinda Williams - country
Godflesh - with a name like that what else can it be?
Hypocrisy - death metal
Rotting Christ - I think you can figure out what type of music it is
My Dying Bride - Doooooooom

I have a brother who is 8 years younger than I am, and for years he was my *Source* for new and interesting music.  In the past two years he has gained a wife, a daughter, a house payment, and a Phd program, needless to say my *source* has dried up.   I have been asking interns at work what they listen to in order to find new stuff.   This cuts both ways, I learned about Mumford and sons this way  DRILLING AND MANLINESS, I also got to hear Justin Beiber for the first time this way  ACK!

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #587 on: February 25, 2011, 02:28:30 PM

I can  Get off my lawn! if it's only once every six to twelve months that I feel the need to relive the "glory day".  I own a David Gray album, for chrissakes.   awesome, for real
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #588 on: February 26, 2011, 04:13:30 PM

So I went to see a the San Antonio Symphony perform last night with a Sinatra "sound alike" named Steve Lippia.  The guy had a reasonable personality, and at least didn't butcher the Sinatra stuff.  Still, I'm listening to Live at the Sands with Basie and Sinatra tonight, and I think that may be the pinnacle of music.  I can't recall if I've heard anything that goes so perfectly together.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #589 on: March 03, 2011, 07:32:27 AM

Saw Stephane Wrembel last night. It's insane to have such world-class talent in our butthole of a town (Kruno Spisic was here last year).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3qdE7afpjI

He had a lot of great stories and musical examples. He followed the growth of gypsy jazz from its roots and outlined examples of the roots in later music, plucking out melodies and examining them. It was really almost a class in gypsy jazz, both me and the resident jazz virtuoso were blown away (and we consoled each other on our sore fingers later that night). At one point he was discussing Django's injured left hand and played Minor Swing with only two fingers ala Django. Holy shit!

And the kid on the percussion with his crazy tray, that was beyond amazing. He wore metal caps on his fingers and played a tray filled with a pie tin, a metal bowl, wood block, washboard and a couple cymbal substitutes made out of Idunnowhat. He had several solos and was just riveting.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #590 on: March 03, 2011, 10:53:28 AM

A bunch of people I know are really into My Morning Jacket.  I just can't stand them at all.  

Rolling Stone on the new album.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #591 on: March 03, 2011, 03:31:59 PM

I'm sitting at the Hard Rock Cafe waiting for someone to talk about business.  I had no idea that Tha Killers were "hard rock", nor did I realize how many interminably shitty generametal bands were out now.  Bleh.  And I got to see a video of Springsteen butchering London Calling.  This doesn't bode well for the meeting.
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #592 on: March 03, 2011, 04:30:52 PM

I'm sitting at the Hard Rock Cafe waiting for someone to talk about business.
They play Madonna in there.  I pretty much just accepted that other people's definitions of genres and music does not match my own expectations.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #593 on: March 03, 2011, 05:08:19 PM

MMJ is one of the those groups that I like about 1/3 of their stuff a lot, but the other 2/3 I strongly dislike.  So I never end up getting their albums, sadly.

Also, I got sucked into the rock photos at RS - almost 1/2 of them comprise Lil Wayne or Lady Gaga, neither of which I would categorize as rock. 
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #594 on: March 03, 2011, 06:40:51 PM

At least Lady Gaga is interesting in a holy-shit-she's-wearing-meat sort of way.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 74 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Music thread  
Jump to: