Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:43:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Music thread 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 74 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Music thread  (Read 815215 times)
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #525 on: December 16, 2010, 07:15:20 AM

Sitting around not drinking is boring when everyone else is or is too drunk to carry on coherent conversations.
Worse when you went to high school with half of them and they're still talking about the exact same shit. I once said it feels like I stepped outside for a minute in 1987 and walked back into 2010. Hey, why is Fred bald?

Even worse, most of the musicians have the same bad habits they had before. That drummer still fucks up his timing when he does fills, this bassist still dominates the stage and plays stuff nobody else wants to, clearing the place out until he leaves.

When it works, the place is purely magical. When you get in a bunch of pros who can sit in and jam out some stuff, it's great. The last time I played alongside the best blues guy in the area, trading songs and vocals and solos, we closed the place after playing for a couple hours and nobody wanted to leave. But to get  DRILLING AND MANLINESS, you have to endure a whole lot of  Ohhhhh, I see. and some  ACK! and even a  why so serious?
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #526 on: December 16, 2010, 09:19:40 PM

Arcade Fire is great. 

Check out Tame Impala... Innerspeaker is their latest.  Hard to get here in the states in physical format, but it's like $7.00 on Itunes or the like.  One of the best albums I've listened to in a long time. 

I always extol the virtues of the Flaming Lips, if you're not familiar with them (but you should be..).  Their last three albums at least are a series of magical experiences. 

If you want to get more folk, Fleet Foxes, Blitzen Trapper, Band of Horses, Bon Iver.

You like the airy/spacey stuff it seems. I like my folk music to be a bit more rock-y but there is some interesting stuff in there. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll dig through the rest.

In my browsing last night I ended up with:

The Heavy - The House that Dirt Built  ... similar to the Black Keys below, but a bit more heavy on the rock and hardly any country influence
Silversun Pickups - Swoon ... didn't realize they had a new album out, so snagged it when I saw it
The Black Keys - Brothers ... interesting mix of rock, blues, and some country twang
Roman Funerals - Six of Us ... folky alternative, nice harmonizing, simple songs with a good tempo
Royksopp - Senior ... electronica/dance, enjoyed one of their previous albums
Daft Punk - Tron Legacy ... nuff said

- Viin
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #527 on: December 17, 2010, 01:47:06 PM

I'm totally behind the times again. Didn't realize until now that Melechesh had put out a new album in October.

\m/>.<\m/

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #528 on: December 17, 2010, 04:04:56 PM

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #529 on: December 17, 2010, 06:33:44 PM

I have been listening to mixes by DJ LobsterDust for the past few months.  

http://djlobsterdust.com/

He samples from a wide variety of genres and mixes them all together.  Some of my favorites:

Alone Wit Chu (Air vs. Queens Of The Stone Age)
DeCexyLong (All American Rejects vs. Le Tigre vs. Rod Stewart)
Epic Black Rock (Faith No More vs. Queen vs. ACDC)
Everybody Do It Again (Jay-Z ft. Amil vs. Missy vs. The Chemical Brothers)
PapaKill-R (Timbaland vs. The Temptations vs. Adamski) (+Seal)
Shut Up And Give Me Some Pie (Warrant vs. The Ting Tings)
Smash My Bitch Up (Smashing Pumpkins vs. Prodigy)

Palin 2012 : Let's go out with a bang!
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #530 on: December 21, 2010, 09:42:57 AM

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #531 on: December 21, 2010, 09:55:01 AM

GWAR: the Glen Cooks of the music thread.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #532 on: December 29, 2010, 07:54:53 AM

May be a repost, since I don't follow this thread normally, but I thought this was rather good.

Love Lost by The Temper Trap

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #533 on: December 29, 2010, 11:53:40 AM

I have been listening to mixes by DJ LobsterDust for the past few months.  

http://djlobsterdust.com/

He samples from a wide variety of genres and mixes them all together.  Some of my favorites:

Alone Wit Chu (Air vs. Queens Of The Stone Age)
DeCexyLong (All American Rejects vs. Le Tigre vs. Rod Stewart)
Epic Black Rock (Faith No More vs. Queen vs. ACDC)
Everybody Do It Again (Jay-Z ft. Amil vs. Missy vs. The Chemical Brothers)
PapaKill-R (Timbaland vs. The Temptations vs. Adamski) (+Seal)
Shut Up And Give Me Some Pie (Warrant vs. The Ting Tings)
Smash My Bitch Up (Smashing Pumpkins vs. Prodigy)

You might also enjoy Wax Audio then (http://www.waxaudio.com.au/).

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #534 on: December 29, 2010, 12:17:29 PM

Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #535 on: December 29, 2010, 12:25:23 PM

You might also enjoy Wax Audio then (http://www.waxaudio.com.au/).

That Smells Like Teen Spirit/Final Countdown mashup was very well done and a pretty perfect blend. Loved it.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #536 on: January 02, 2011, 11:57:59 AM

Hey Ya! Shake It Like A Polaroid Cover Version http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paoFmPW8lLo
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #537 on: January 05, 2011, 07:30:41 AM

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #538 on: January 05, 2011, 07:39:21 AM

I'm beginning to suspect we have some different musical tastes :p

King Curtis - Memphis Soul Stew
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #539 on: January 05, 2011, 08:08:06 AM

I have a rather wide, odd, range. Pandora occasionally reminds me of great songs, so I post'em here.

I see your basseiness, and raise you.

Infectious Grooves - Therapy

Infectious Grooves - Borracho

Unrelated awesome:

Secret Chiefs 3 - Zulfiqar III

Secret chief 3 - Blaze of the grail

« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 08:23:10 AM by Mrbloodworth »

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #540 on: January 05, 2011, 09:05:14 AM

Infectious Grooves........

That is a major blast from the past. 
Ozzu
Terracotta Army

Reply #541 on: January 13, 2011, 03:17:18 AM

Haken is most excellent. I've mentioned this before, but every time their album comes up in the shuffle, it reaffirms this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ql8biMF62o
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #542 on: January 13, 2011, 07:48:05 AM

When amazing music and amazing visual art have the rare opportunity to mingle:

The Avett Brothers - Head Full of Doubt/Road Full of Promise

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEr9gMYdkHI
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #543 on: January 13, 2011, 08:14:36 AM

The artist ripped off that painting style, the animated single canvas thing. Not a fan of the music, either.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Kentridge
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #544 on: January 13, 2011, 08:29:03 AM

That's like saying anyone who did just about anything animated post-1970 ripped him off.  Art is either plagiarism or revolution, and all that.  Everything copies pieces from something else.

But I know you like decent music, so you get a pass on that comment.  Surprised, though.  Some of the Avett stuff reminds me of a mellow, poppy Old Crow, which I thought you were into. 
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #545 on: January 13, 2011, 09:00:51 AM

It's not bad, and I could probably get into it if I spent some time listening. Not a rejection due to talent, but of taste, so no biggie.

Right now I'm mostly listening to classical guitar, renaissance music, swing jazz and funky r&b (like the King Curtis clip I linked, to see some of the guitar stuff I'm listening to and playing, hit up the guitar thread :)).
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #546 on: January 13, 2011, 06:55:29 PM

I'm totally behind the times again. Didn't realize until now that Melechesh had put out a new album in October.

\m/>.<\m/

Giving this my first listen now.  It's pretty damn good.  Quite chill, sometimes reminds me a bit of 80's prog metal.  Sometimes kind of like if Nile and Fates Warning combined.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Le3ORwNklkU
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #547 on: January 13, 2011, 07:32:36 PM

That was cool....up until the vocals kicked in. Fuck you, cookie. Fuck you. Stop being silly.
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #548 on: January 13, 2011, 08:45:05 PM

I'm beginning to suspect we have some different musical tastes :p

King Curtis - Memphis Soul Stew

sweet jesus, that was good, thanks for linking that.

The boys from Ireland are still kicking ass

Therapy? - Crooked Timber

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtP4-dJak8Y
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 08:47:05 PM by Fraeg »

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #549 on: January 14, 2011, 06:57:38 AM

That was cool....up until the vocals kicked in. Fuck you, cookie. Fuck you. Stop being silly.

No, it was rather awesome all the way through.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #550 on: January 14, 2011, 07:52:22 AM

Maybe if you got the master recording, dropped the faders on the vocals, resurrected Ronnie Dio and had him lay the vocals. Then I'd be right there with ya. I hear that stupid growly garbage and all I can see are the silly face-painted juggalo-looking retards. Go learn to sing and cut out the silliness. You want to hear an evil-sounding motherfucker, go listen to Peter Steele (RIP, can't believe it).

Sorry. I know you like the cookie. I know you know I don't. It's just difficult for me, because I was, you know, in a metal band for a living in the day and now metal is pretty much completely ruined for me because of these chucklefucks. Partly from having a singer who was half Tate, half Dio and half Dickinson, I guess.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #551 on: January 14, 2011, 07:55:55 AM

Maybe if you got the master recording, dropped the faders on the vocals, resurrected Ronnie Dio and had him lay the vocals. Then I'd be right there with ya. I hear that stupid growly garbage and all I can see are the silly face-painted juggalo-looking retards. Go learn to sing and cut out the silliness. You want to hear an evil-sounding motherfucker, go listen to Peter Steele (RIP, can't believe it).

Sorry. I know you like the cookie. I know you know I don't. It's just difficult for me, because I was, you know, in a metal band for a living in the day and now metal is pretty much completely ruined for me because of these chucklefucks. Partly from having a singer who was half Tate, half Dio and half Dickinson, I guess.

What was the name of your band?
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #552 on: January 14, 2011, 08:23:29 AM

You never heard of us. We didn't make it, eh. Drugs and guitarists with high paying day jobs dissolved what could've been one of the greatest metal bands of all time. Sucks.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #553 on: January 14, 2011, 08:28:06 AM

Don't be modest Sky, plenty of people have heard of Anvil.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #554 on: January 14, 2011, 08:53:46 AM

I hope you're joking.

Edit:  So yes, I have heard of Anvil because some musician friends of mine were talking about the movie.  I have a hunch that Nebu is pulling my leg, but if not that was a pretty damned cool experience, Sky.  I just looked up some of their stuff on iTunes and did a test run through them.  Not my cup of tea, but still pretty neat. 
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 08:04:24 AM by ghost »
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #555 on: January 14, 2011, 11:14:13 AM

Just picked up the solo album of Sigur Ros's singer.

Jonsi - Go

great great uplifting album.  I enjoy sigur ros, but they can be a bit much at times, this is more stripped down with some really cool percussion in some songs.  I am really digging this album.

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #556 on: January 16, 2011, 08:08:05 PM

I've been listening to primarily ambient recently.  Biosphere was my first love, but recently I've found Loscil which is also quite good.  Biosphere - Substrata is still in my top 10 albums ever.

Highly recommend headphones for these

Biosphere - Poa Alpina  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Q-u_tIzJAY&feature=related
Loscil - Triton    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SjLqdnv2Zc&hd=1

Jesu and Ras Algethi have similar effects on me despite not technically being ambient.  Wonderful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQzT0HpSwn0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6x7gsUjDuIE

Stuff like this makes me happy to be alive.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 08:09:39 PM by trias_e »
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #557 on: January 16, 2011, 08:41:59 PM

Jonsi - Go

Definitely in my top 5 of 2010.  So pissed I missed him live.
stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #558 on: January 17, 2011, 09:43:53 PM

If you like ambient music, you have to check out this slowed version of the Jurassic Park theme I ran into on slashfilm.

http://soundcloud.com/birdfeeder/jurassic-park-theme-1000-slower

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #559 on: January 17, 2011, 10:20:00 PM

Why have I not heard of Mumford and Sons until recently?  What rock have I been living under?  Now I must have their album.

White Blank Page (Bookshop Sessions)

The Cave

Little Lion Man - album version, not the censored radio version, just FYI.

Winter Winds

I've been video hopping YouTube for a bit now...

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 74 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Music thread  
Jump to: