Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:41:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Music thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 74 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Music thread  (Read 815227 times)
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #420 on: June 22, 2010, 12:53:00 PM

Ozzy FTW!   Hulk Rock

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #421 on: June 22, 2010, 02:07:12 PM

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #422 on: June 23, 2010, 06:28:45 AM

Johnny Winter on a 12-string. Going to see him and James Cotton in a couple days.
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #423 on: June 23, 2010, 11:02:25 AM

It appears as though Porcupine Tree's non-limited Blu-ray edition has already sold out across all US distributors in advance of the sale date. My days in the front row may be numbered.

NEARfest was good. Steve Hackett and band (including bassist Nick Beggs of Kajagoogoo fame wearing a leather kilt and waistcoat and sporting pigtails) were my favourites. They played quite a few Genesis numbers as well as some current and older Hackett songs. Firth of Fifth was jaw-dropping.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #424 on: June 23, 2010, 02:08:57 PM

That link to the Ozzy video didn't work outside the US, according to two friends, one in Germany and one in England Ironic, seeing as Ozzy is a brit. Anyone got a link to the video of Let Me Hear You Scream that's playable outside the US?

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #425 on: June 26, 2010, 09:16:22 AM

Johnny Winter on a 12-string. Going to see him and James Cotton in a couple days.
Ok, don't go see Johnny Winter. It's the first show I can remember walking out on. The backing band was tepid, they warmed up with an instantly forgettable number. Johnny came out and played an instrumental. And by played I mean he hacked the shit out of it. Fine, he's old and I know the struggles he's had the last fifteen years. Maybe he'll warm up. Three numbers later and his blaringly loud guitar played like a rank newb in a guitar center began driving people out. Tore my heart out to see a legend in that state, and again to actually get up and go. There were thirty people waiting for the elevator, so we weren't alone.

Luckily, James Cotton and his band were smokin' hot. Weak point was his white guy singer, but one of his guitarists channeled mid-60s Buddy Guy and was worth the price of admission alone. Bass player had impressive funk chops (Les Claypool meets Duck Dunn in a half black half somoan), the band sounded like a Burglar-era Freddie King band, or maybe the Stax guys. So we felt like we got our money's worth.

But word of warning to any classic music fans: avoid Mr. Winter. He can't play anymore, and the intimacy of the egg and his blisteringly loud amp drive that point into your skull.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #426 on: June 26, 2010, 10:52:17 AM

That's a shame about Johnny Winter losing it.  I had a really old vinyl of his that I loved  (along with both Anthology of British Blues, both of which my ex-brother in law stole when my sister dumped him).  Anyway, at least he's not a Scientologist like his brother.  Not that it should account for fingers, but it's something, right? 

Having said that, I like their hair.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #427 on: June 28, 2010, 08:24:38 AM

Wow... Was part of Funny picture thread or so I thought..

Edit
I guess having multiple windows open in Firefox may post to an incorrect thread now... That's cool.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 08:29:07 AM by taolurker »

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #428 on: July 01, 2010, 06:31:15 PM

Fans of bluegrass, you have the opportunity of a lifetime! The best of extreme metal, just the way YOU want it!

Blinded by Bluegrass

More here.

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #429 on: July 02, 2010, 07:51:36 AM

The new Ozzy album is good. I find it funny he removes Zakk Wilde because he doesn't want to sound like Black Label Society, then gets a guitarist who sounds a lot like Zakk Wilde, at least on this album. Still worth a listen though.

Got the new Korn playing in my ears right now. Haven't liked them much after the first album, but this one is pretty good.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #430 on: July 02, 2010, 08:36:16 AM

We finally got in the Kruno Spisic album we ordered. The one we bought from him is a duo with an accordionist, which is cool but not mind-numbingly amazing like the one we just got, which is mostly his trio with a few guests later on. Playing it in the office yesterday, a coworker (and Grappelli fan) thought I was listening to a Django album. Kruno is that good.

Also listening to a lot of Cab Calloway still, in the truck. At home I've been in bluegrass mode (not metalgrass, heh) while working in the yard and stacking wood and whatnot. Also had on the best of Rev Horton Heat, some great tracks on there.
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #431 on: July 02, 2010, 08:57:43 PM

The new Ozzy album is good. I find it funny he removes Zakk Wilde because he doesn't want to sound like Black Label Society, then gets a guitarist who sounds a lot like Zakk Wilde, at least on this album. Still worth a listen though.

Got the new Korn playing in my ears right now. Haven't liked them much after the first album, but this one is pretty good.

check out Gus's band Firewind Haemish.  From what I have heard from the new album (which I admit is very little) Gus sounds like he is just playing songs that were already written and is contributing very little of his own touch.... IMO

firewind:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHy-OVlijsQ

as for Korn  Ohhhhh, I see.

As for myself: currently been on a Lucinda Williams kick bought her newish album Honey and uhmm another earlier album... I just love her harsh voice and some amazing lyrics.   

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #432 on: July 03, 2010, 08:28:14 AM

The new Ozzy album was already in the can when Gus joined. He recorded the solos and then Oz let him go back and track the rhythms but they're all Zakk-written. Oz got rid of Zakk more because Oz is clean again and it wasn't working out with Zakk drinking. Rumor has it Zakk is cleaning up his act, who knows, just going on an Oz interview in the newest Guitar World.

Firewind sounds like a lot of 80's guitarist projects. Riffing and soloing is cool, but the band is a simple support act. Drummer had a couple interesting things with the basses, but take that away and yawn. Oz is creating such generic rock crap, makes me sad. This is how you take what could be a mediocre song and elevate it with amazing drumwork.
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #433 on: July 05, 2010, 05:46:39 PM

well no fair playing the Brann Dailor card.   He is one of the most interesting drummer out there that I am aware of in *metal*

I see your brann and raise you a derek roddy for making a ho hum song amazing, well the first 50 seconds then it becomes a blastfest: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESbqky0i8-8

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #434 on: July 05, 2010, 06:55:34 PM

Yeah, after :50 it just gets silly, one of my least favorite thrash type beats. Nice tom work though, I'm trying to learn how to do rolling tom beats in my non-existant spare time. Nice thing about it being 95 degrees out, it's 65 in my basement where my drums are! I suck so bad at drums.
Righ
Terracotta Army

Reply #435 on: July 06, 2010, 03:19:47 PM

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #436 on: July 07, 2010, 06:26:05 AM

Cab Calloway

I have a Pandora station set up for just this stuff (him and others), great stuff to work to.

This is how you take what could be a mediocre song and elevate it with amazing drumwork.

I don't hear it. Sounds rather run of the mill to me. They guy isn't Gene Hoglan.

I dont get the fascination with mastodon, I mean, they make well constructed songs, nothing overly complicated and are indeed fine musicians, but most of there stuff is so dam bland, i don't get the "awesome". Perhaps ill listen to more, any recommendations of albums or songs that really shine for you?

EDIT: After sampling more, they do have a nice soothing sound going on, rather reminiscent of older days, kinda grimy, kinda cool. I need someone to recommend the best album.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 07:13:50 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #437 on: July 07, 2010, 08:54:56 AM

I hated Mastodon at first for the Cookie Monster vocals, but as I listened to their latest album more and more, it really resonated with me, to the point I was able to listen to their earlier albums and appreciate it. I don't find them mediocre musicians at all - I think their song construction is fantastic. Their weak point was vocals, but with Crack the Skye, they really found the sound. I'd recommend starting with that album and going backwards.

As for Korn, well I loved their first album, and have felt meh about everything up to this latest release.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #438 on: July 07, 2010, 07:17:45 PM

They guy isn't Gene Hoglan.
Yer not a moosican r u. If I had a double bass pedal I could play that song, it's almost all straight beats played quickly (stamina ftw, though). Btw I met Gene a few times back when he was in Dark Angel, gogo 80s thrash metal scene. Got pics with me and him back when Ler Lalonde was in Possessed (now in Primus). He's a good drummer, but Brann is transcendant. Imo, of course, people will complain about Brann's reliance on snare fills and rolls but I like that more than straight beats, which also goes to some of the better swing jazz with the rolling tom beats.

Anyway. I wish I was a drummer :)

Agree with Haem, I like stuff off all their albums, but Crack the Skye is where they have really begun to shine. My other favorite drummer in modern rock music (Thomas Pridgen):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BH11YFqMoB0
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #439 on: July 08, 2010, 06:09:31 AM

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #440 on: July 08, 2010, 07:44:08 AM

Well, just like I should not be judging mastodon by the few songs I have heard, comparing this guy to Gene Hoglan is using one track in one band is not good.

Keep in mind, Gene Hoglan is/was the drummer for: Devin Townsend Band, Dethklok, Dark Angel, Death, Testament, Strapping Young Lad, Fear Factory, Meldrum, Opeth, Unearth, Zimmers Hole, Pitch Black Forecast, Forbidden, Pitch Black Forecast, Phantasm, Mechanism, Fall of Olympus and Old Man's Child.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 07:59:34 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #441 on: July 08, 2010, 09:10:42 AM

You're continuing a disagreement based on stylistic preferences.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Hell, Testament was the band we used as an example of what not to sound like when we were auditioning drummers in San Francisco. And I'm not basing it on a couple songs I've heard, I'm basing it on sitting and watching him play vs other drummers I've seen play in a style I enjoy more.

Yes, he plays fast. Good for him. Good for you. What I've heard of the bands you listed I don't like. There are many technically talented people creating music I think sucks. You don't like Mastodon (or probably The Mars Volta). That's ok.

The end.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #442 on: July 08, 2010, 09:24:12 AM

I don't think I said I didn't like them. There are lots of good drummers in the world, style aside, I just don't agree with your "transcendent" comment. Its not just that he plays fast, hes fast, extremely accurate and quite varied. I also really enjoy some Richard Christy.

But it seems like your only criticism, as a musician (  awesome, for real ), is that they can play fast and use double base pedals, so its like, talentless or something, some drummers/bands I agree, thees guys, hell no.

Also, I have a more eclectic taste than you are implying here, that list I posted was simply his past works and credentials.

ANYWAY, I'm going to pick up that album recommended by HaemishM, you guys talk about them so much, I should check it out, I need something new anyway.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 09:48:16 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #443 on: July 08, 2010, 08:28:27 PM

Cab Calloway

I have a Pandora station set up for just this stuff (him and others), great stuff to work to.

This is how you take what could be a mediocre song and elevate it with amazing drumwork.

I don't hear it. Sounds rather run of the mill to me. They guy isn't Gene Hoglan.

I dont get the fascination with mastodon, I mean, they make well constructed songs, nothing overly complicated and are indeed fine musicians, but most of there stuff is so dam bland, i don't get the "awesome". Perhaps ill listen to more, any recommendations of albums or songs that really shine for you?

EDIT: After sampling more, they do have a nice soothing sound going on, rather reminiscent of older days, kinda grimy, kinda cool. I need someone to recommend the best album.
Their first album is what I would check out based on the other music i have seen you link.   Live they are the kind of band to lock into a monster riff and just beat you to a pulp with it (in a good way).  They have a live dvd from a tour with D. Escape that demonstrates this rather well.

As for cookie monster vocals.. *edit* - glad you came around Haemish, but for serious cookin monster read on.....  I suppose it is all relative to me cookie monster vocals are something like Nile http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gy-HtLCQw_k&feature=related
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 08:31:44 PM by Fraeg »

Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #444 on: July 08, 2010, 08:35:11 PM

Sorry to be nitpicky but Old Man's child is a favorite.   This is Nicholas Barker on the album In Defiance of Existance (ex- Cradle of Filth, ex- Demon Burger).  Gene was on the earlier album Ill Natured Spiritual Invasion.. which is a great album nonetheless.

/nitpicking off

Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #445 on: July 08, 2010, 09:30:41 PM

Sorry to be nitpicky but Old Man's child is a favorite.   This is Nicholas Barker on the album In Defiance of Existance (ex- Cradle of Filth, ex- Demon Burger).  Gene was on the earlier album Ill Natured Spiritual Invasion.. which is a great album nonetheless.

/nitpicking off
Indeed it is. Ill-natured Spiritual Invasion and earlier The Pagan Prosperity is seriously some of the 90's best MDM.

Nick Barker got a bad rep for some reason I'm not aware of. Sure, he's maybe a little too fond of triggering and may be a dick off-stage (no idea), but he can seriously lay down a brutal beat. He's fast as a motherfucker.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #446 on: July 09, 2010, 08:56:10 AM

I suppose it is all relative to me cookie monster vocals are something like Nile http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gy-HtLCQw_k&feature=related

What the fuck is that monkey banging horse shit? Not only does someone need to punch that "singer" directly in his balls on general principle, they need to take the producer of that recording out and have him shot for being a moron. The mix on that is TERRIBLE.

Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #447 on: July 09, 2010, 09:06:35 AM

Am I the only one here that starts to listen to some variety of Walrus Rock (death, dark, slightly musty metal), enjoying the drums, the harmonically sync'd guitars going full speed, and then is instantly dismayed at the ridiculous singing style?

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #448 on: July 09, 2010, 09:08:34 AM

/raises hand

Right here with you.

Righ
Terracotta Army

Reply #449 on: July 09, 2010, 09:33:32 AM

I wouldn't say dismayed, but it's hard to do anything other than laugh when most of these people do whole verses of death growling. Of course, if the lyrics are embarrassing anyway, it doesn't really matter if they growl or not. Yes, I'm looking at you Dream Theater.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #450 on: July 09, 2010, 10:33:22 AM

Am I the only one here that starts to listen to some variety of Walrus Rock (death, dark, slightly musty metal), enjoying the drums, the harmonically sync'd guitars going full speed, and then is instantly dismayed at the ridiculous singing style?

Nope. There is a ton on run of the mill crap, I tend to gravitate to the ones that have a uniqueness, but mostly, for a lot of bands, its just another layer on the sound of the song for me. Really depends on the band though.

and lol @Walrus Rock. Had not heard that one before.

Sorry to be nitpicky but Old Man's child is a favorite.   This is Nicholas Barker on the album In Defiance of Existance (ex- Cradle of Filth, ex- Demon Burger).  Gene was on the earlier album Ill Natured Spiritual Invasion.. which is a great album nonetheless.

/nitpicking off

Woops. - 10 metal cred for me  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

I suppose it is all relative to me cookie monster vocals are something like Nile http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gy-HtLCQw_k&feature=related

What the fuck is that monkey banging horse shit? Not only does someone need to punch that "singer" directly in his balls on general principle, they need to take the producer of that recording out and have him shot for being a moron. The mix on that is TERRIBLE.

LOL! Nile is perhaps one of the most fundamentally based death metal bands with a large Egyptian theme. A good portion of the riffs sound as if written as to be played on a sitar (hence the high treble range).  They are a highly acquired taste. Anyway, if we are out cookie monster here, I don't think mortician can be topped.

Mortician - Slaughterhouse 100% pure horror themed death metal. Yes, he is doing vocals in that.
More modern: Mortician - "Audra"

EDIT: runner up: Six Feet Under - Sweet Leaf
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 11:16:06 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #451 on: July 09, 2010, 11:28:44 AM

Mastodon has a guest singer on Crack the Skye who is cookie, but it really fits the track. I really didn't care for it at first, but on repeated listens it's a nice break and I think the fact that it's limited to that track helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_cCEUPInFs

But really...where are the young Dickinsons and Tates? So many great bands and then the "singer" opens his trap and ruins it. Back in the day there were a few cookies, but mostly it was guys yelling (Slayer style) or singing (Overkill's first album, Exodus, Fate, etc).

Dream Theater, ecch. A whole 'nother category of suck. Technically great, but ecch.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #452 on: July 09, 2010, 11:38:13 AM

But really...where are the young Dickinsons and Tates?

Pagan's Mind - Spirit Starcruiser An amazing singer and a amazingly varied progressive metal band.

Posted a few of my favorite songs by them a few times, not sure if thats what you are looking for.

More Dickinson like:

Nevermore - Believe in Nothing

Nevermore - I Voyager
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 11:42:33 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #453 on: July 10, 2010, 09:44:53 PM

Musically Nile is amazing... I saw them with Krisium and Immolation a few months ago.  I actually ended walking out of Nile's set because the vocals were just too much.  Their drummer george kollias is simply out of this world.... but in the end the gurgling was too much.

As for cleaner vocals, not a halford or bruce by any stretch, but a lot cleaner, not really my bag, but I know a lot of people who are into them:

Symphony X
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUn4jXZko5E

*edit*

Mortician - Slaughterhouse 100% pure horror themed death metal. Yes, he is doing vocals in that.
More modern: Mortician - "Audra"

EDIT: runner up: Six Feet Under - Sweet Leaf
The Walrus has spoken, and I have been out gurgled by a long shot ACK!  
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 09:52:17 PM by Fraeg »

Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #454 on: July 14, 2010, 09:05:01 PM

Mike Patton apparently has a new album out... seriously what can't this guy do.   I will buying this tomorrow

Mondo Cane tracks 1-3 live in Holland

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkhyyESYE5I
2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q69UuQxBZUY&feature=related
3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blE7jOssfqU&NR=1

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 74 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Music thread  
Jump to: