Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:45:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Music thread 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 74 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Music thread  (Read 815303 times)
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #315 on: March 25, 2010, 04:35:56 PM

The Break

Australian surf rock featuring most of Midnight Oil plus the bass player from The Violent Femmes.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #316 on: March 25, 2010, 06:24:20 PM

I'm currently bouncing between 3 bands:

1. Riverside
2. Pure Reason Revolution
3. Bigelf

Cool. All are bands that I've championed in these forums in the past. You may also like Lunatic Soul, which is Riverside singer/bassist/primary songwriter Mariusz Duda's solo project.

I'll be seeing Riverside (again) at this year's NEARfest. Saw PRR there a couple of years ago. There's only around a dozen tickets still left if anybody here wants to go. Bigelf are supporting Porcupine Tree in the USA on their April/May tour, but they aren't playing around these parts, presumably to help sell tickets to the BIG DEAL Porcupine Tree concert at Radio City Music Hall in NYC in September. That will be a special "evening with" show where the band will very likely play things they don't usually play live or that they haven't played for many years.

My "on heavy rotation" list looks something like this just now:

North Atlantic Oscillation - Grappling Hooks (Kscope, 2010)
Scorpions - Sting in the Tail (Universal, 2010)
Big Block 454 - Bratislava (private press, 2008)
Iron Kim Style - Iron Kim Style (Moonjune, 2010)
Electric Orange - Krautrock From Hell (Sulatron, 2010)
Orphaned Land - Never Ending Way of the ORwarriOR (Century Media, 2010)
Shearwater - The Golden Archipeligo (Matador, 2010)
Hawkwind - Sonic Attack (Atomhenge, 2010) *
Colosseum - The Valentyne Suite (Sanctuary, 2004) *
Radio Massacre International - Time & Motion (Cuneiform, 2010)

Radio Massacre International will be playing locally next month. Yay. Scorpions will be playing their farewell tour in these parts at the same time as NEARfest. Boo.

* remasters of older albums, 1981 & 1969 respectively

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Ozzu
Terracotta Army

Reply #317 on: March 26, 2010, 01:09:36 AM

Cool. All are bands that I've championed in these forums in the past.

I'll definitely look into Lunatic Soul. Porcupine Tree/Bigelf are coming through Dallas on the 20th of April. I can still get tickets, but I'm not sure I can get the night off from work. I'd sure love to go though.

I'll check out some of the other stuff you've got going there. Just a quick listen to North Atlantic Oscillation and I like what I hear.
Righ
Terracotta Army

Reply #318 on: March 27, 2010, 06:07:19 PM

Righ
Terracotta Army

Reply #319 on: March 29, 2010, 08:40:44 AM

There's a free heavy metal MP3 sampler album up on Amazon courtesy of the folks at The End Records. It'll be gone in a couple of days though, so act now:

http://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Metal-Sampler/dp/B00393AI0M/

jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #320 on: March 29, 2010, 01:27:23 PM

For the Metal Heads, Armenian/Assyrian black metal  their past two albums are amazing... Melechesh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZprzPj7CkU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7baRD7SrfM&feature=related

note: I might have pimped this band before...as a fanboi of melechesh I reserve that right.

Thanks for this, it's great (and on Spotify)! I would also like to point out that the frontman looks like Kratos.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #321 on: March 29, 2010, 01:56:43 PM

Holy crap, actually a decent band on there between the cookie monsters and emotards. Die Apokalyptischen Reiter is pretty badass.

Early Man was decent old school, but kind of repetitive and the vocals weren't great. Several bands were pretty good, but had half decently sung vocals and half cookie monster (Borknagar). Dio and Dickinson should smite some motherfuckers imo. Wouldn't bother me so much if it weren't so hard to find something melodic and heavy with great vocals, and someone like Mastodon moves in that direction and catches shit from fans.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #322 on: March 29, 2010, 02:15:09 PM

Thanks to The Sixty One, I discovered Drugstore Fanatics. I like them. Heavy, yet melodic.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #323 on: April 02, 2010, 10:27:27 AM

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #324 on: April 02, 2010, 04:47:09 PM

I could get into that Cryptopsy song, if the singer wasn't screaming\growling like that and the snare drum wasn't SO DAMN HIGH in the mix that it overpowers everything else.  Seriously, was there any bass or guitar outside of a few noodles here and there?
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #325 on: April 03, 2010, 04:50:00 PM

In the producer's defense, Flo (the drummer) is the only reason to listen to Cryptopsy anymore. tongue

Edit:
Oopsie-daisy, I should get my vowels straight.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 04:58:16 PM by Tarami »

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #326 on: April 03, 2010, 05:33:42 PM

I could get into that Cryptopsy song, if the singer wasn't screaming\growling like that and the snare drum wasn't SO DAMN HIGH in the mix that it overpowers everything else.  Seriously, was there any bass or guitar outside of a few noodles here and there?

I'm not a fan of the vocals as well.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #327 on: April 03, 2010, 10:41:39 PM

And now for something completely different (but timely -- warning, strong religious overtones):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uz9akqofziE

I've had this melody stuck in my head for days.  It's like 15th century pop music.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #328 on: April 03, 2010, 11:32:06 PM

The VNV Nation show I just went to at Elysium here in Austin is probably one of the best shows I've ever attended. Also 6th street was awesome, for real tonight.
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #329 on: April 04, 2010, 12:11:29 AM

The VNV Nation show I just went to at Elysium here in Austin is probably one of the best shows I've ever attended.
My ex is going to see that this Sunday.  Supposedly it will be a good time.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #330 on: April 06, 2010, 08:31:44 PM

Digging the new Jonsi solo bit.  It's amazing how far he and Sigur Ros have come in the 10 years I've been listening. 
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #331 on: April 07, 2010, 06:17:53 AM

For my birthday I got tickets for Guy Davis, an amazing acoustic blues guy, and a gypsy jazz group who's name escapes me just now. Both at the local art cafe. Also coming up: Big Bad Voodoo Daddy (always a fun show) and Johnny Winter and James Cotton at the Egg (the best venue acoustics I've heard).
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #332 on: April 09, 2010, 06:16:39 AM

I wish I didn't live in the cultural gap between the Lakes and Capitol. Just heard about this show. Fiancee is definitely not interested, which sucks because we'll be vacationing that week. A normal work week, I'd just use a personal day and stay over.
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #333 on: April 14, 2010, 10:36:26 PM

Good Death Metal is the greatest thing ever made.  A total inversion of pop music, a delicious obsession for absurdist melodic development, and utter romanticism.  It's like if Schubert fucked Berg and then decided to make fun of the beatles (bach might be in there somewhere too, dont tell anyone). 

Morbid Angel - Altars of Madness.  This is simply taking the premise Slayer laid out in RiB, and then saying hey, lets pretend like we're romantic composers on top of it.  It's a mini-symphony.  And this is when metal gets really damn fun: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ti4VuHAVzn4&feature=related

Gorguts - Obscura:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gri3tjKktdI

Gorguts - From Wisdom to Hate:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LP0zs_El4Oo

Incantation - Onward to Golgotha:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcPVF2jd6X0

Immolation - Close to a World Below:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2g8wtYRMGYA

Righ
Terracotta Army

Reply #334 on: April 14, 2010, 11:26:45 PM

LCD Soundsystem - This Is Happening

Due for US release May 18th. Whole album streamable:

http://www.lcdsoundsystem.com/thisishappening/index2.htm

Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #335 on: April 15, 2010, 05:33:08 AM

Early reports coming in that Pete Steele died last night of heart failure at a staggeringly young 48.

This year is just getting worse and worse for music. I can still barely come to terms with Mark Linkous' suicide as it is, and now another favourite musician is gone.

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #336 on: April 15, 2010, 07:40:17 AM

Well that sucks, I was close to going and seeing them last time they came threw for old times sake, I really should have I guess.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #337 on: April 17, 2010, 07:17:50 AM

Rush playing Moving Pictures in its entirety? Oh hell yeah.

Ticketmaster fucking things up so tickets go on sale 7 minutes late and I only get 26th row? Dammit!
Righ
Terracotta Army

Reply #338 on: April 17, 2010, 08:30:43 AM

Don't know when the Philly tickets for the Rush 'Time Machine' tour are going on sale. I won't be looking to buy seats up front if they're $150 + fees like in some other venues though. I saw "The Camera Eye" live back when they last played it... on the Signals tour. They've played everything else off Moving Pictures in the last few tours.

Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #339 on: April 18, 2010, 10:04:11 AM

I haven't listened to Rotting Christ since the mid 90s and back then they did nothing for me.  Flash forward ~15 years and holy Pork Souvlaki these Greeks have evolved.  I just picked up their two most recent albums and they are amazing.

Title track of latest album:   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hOfNukY6Og&feature=related

closer with Diamanda Gala on vocals: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGR27sF61BQ&feature=related
what a stunning way to close an album. I could never get into her stuff, had Plague Mass at one point but this just blows me away.

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
schild
Administrator

Reply #340 on: April 18, 2010, 10:48:46 AM

The Broken Bells album (self-titled) is incredible. It's James Mercer of The Shins with Danger Mouse (doing all the instruments except the strings section). Buy it.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #341 on: April 18, 2010, 03:04:22 PM

Don't know when the Philly tickets for the Rush 'Time Machine' tour are going on sale. I won't be looking to buy seats up front if they're $150 + fees like in some other venues though. I saw "The Camera Eye" live back when they last played it... on the Signals tour. They've played everything else off Moving Pictures in the last few tours.

What!  How did I miss this!   swamp poop 

Bah no shows in Chicago though, means I'll have to try and get Milwaukee Summerfest tickets.  I've seen them tons of times, be nice to see all of Moving Pictures done in it's entirety though.
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #342 on: April 18, 2010, 05:44:58 PM

Early reports coming in that Pete Steele died last night of heart failure at a staggeringly young 48.

This year is just getting worse and worse for music. I can still barely come to terms with Mark Linkous' suicide as it is, and now another favourite musician is gone.

Blows. Very funny dude with entertaining music.

Instead of slashing my wrists, I just write a bunch of really crummy songs.

It's bad poetry executed by people that can't sing. That's my definition of Rap.

So I don't cry anymore, I just beat people up. It's a lot more fun.

Don't mistake a lack of talent for genius.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #343 on: April 21, 2010, 12:04:19 PM

SUFFOCATION - "Abomination Reborn" Still kicking it old school I see.

NILE - "Sacrifice Unto Sebek" HD

And just because I had not listened to them in forever Human Remains- Human NSFW lyrics

And OMG:  Nocturnus - Lake of Fire

Mortician - Zombie Apocalypse

I feel the old now.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 12:17:28 PM by Mrbloodworth »

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #344 on: April 23, 2010, 06:46:32 AM

« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 07:05:38 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #345 on: April 26, 2010, 04:02:29 PM

Scrubs (the show) is truly awesome. It made me finally check out DevilDriver, which I now feel I should have done sooner, eventhough Coal Chamber was completely meh.

DevilDriver - Resurrection Blvd

I'm kind of predictable with my music choices. Grin

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
Ozzu
Terracotta Army

Reply #346 on: April 26, 2010, 08:47:14 PM

Been listening to the hell out of 'Die Apokalyptischen Reiter'. What a great band. All 3 of their latest albums are good. I've just recently went further back into their catalog and it's not bad either, but I've only listened to them once each so that needs more listens.

'Riders on the Storm' (absolutely not a remake of 'The Doors' song)- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnhxo_hfEnw

« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 08:51:34 PM by Ozzu »
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #347 on: April 27, 2010, 02:18:27 AM

I love Cathedral, although their slower more played-straight Doomy stuff bores me to tears. Midnight Mountain is probably my favorite track of theirs just because it's so fun and ridiculous, the last couple minutes of it always put a huge smile on my face.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #348 on: April 27, 2010, 06:41:25 AM

Been listening to the hell out of 'Die Apokalyptischen Reiter'. What a great band. All 3 of their latest albums are good. I've just recently went further back into their catalog and it's not bad either, but I've only listened to them once each so that needs more listens.

'Riders on the Storm' (absolutely not a remake of 'The Doors' song)- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnhxo_hfEnw

Damn you are the first person I have ever seen mention them/know of them.  I have just have one of their albums called All You Need Is Love,   have you heard that one?  If you have based on that album what else do you recommend by them?

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
Ozzu
Terracotta Army

Reply #349 on: April 27, 2010, 07:24:28 AM

Damn you are the first person I have ever seen mention them/know of them.  I have just have one of their albums called All You Need Is Love,   have you heard that one?  If you have based on that album what else do you recommend by them?

That is one I haven't listened to all that much yet. I also haven't listened much to 2003's 'Have a Nice Trip'.

After that one, 'Samurai' came out in 2004. It's excellent. In 2006, 'Riders on the Storm' came out and it's even better. In 2008, 'Licht' came out and while I don't consider it as good as 'Riders on the Storm', I still love it. I would say that as you work your way closer to present day in their discography, they move towards a more melodic sound that I actually prefer. They have a new album supposedly coming out later this year too. I'm really looking forward to it.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 07:28:39 AM by Ozzu »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 74 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Music thread  
Jump to: