Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:01:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Music thread 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 74 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Music thread  (Read 815395 times)
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #280 on: March 05, 2010, 08:58:43 PM

Dusted off my Dälek cds this weekend and have been in a serious... uhmm dark hip hop phase?

If you have never heard Dälek you owe it to yourself to at least check out this guy.  Very dark atmospheric hip hop.... shit the dude has toured with Isis.

Dälek-We Lost Sight
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YA7R3ugWUs&feature=related

Dälek-Paragraphs Relentless (live)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctWUaLl8htk&feature=related

Dälek - Asylum (Permanent Underclass)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyWYc7ZmJ2M&feature=related

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #281 on: March 08, 2010, 09:09:35 AM

Just wanted to inform the metalheads around here that the new Dark Tranquillity [sic] album, We are the Void, is fantastic. awesome, for real

Her Silent Language:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S52i6gIaRuo

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #282 on: March 08, 2010, 10:58:41 AM

my f'in mp3 collection is toast. its a long story... so i've rebuilt it with just Queen and the Misfits. Not even sure what else I want on here (My Chemical Romance...heh). There was a Danzig song I came across that for the life of me, can't remember even hearing it in all the 20 yrs I've been a fan (When Death Had No Name... killer opening chords). I keep listening to it, so I should put it on here too.

Anything you think I might like, feel free to recommend :) [edit] Basically, catchy (psychotic/horror) punk or Operatic Rock. Fire away. Especially shit that I probably never heard of.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 11:11:19 AM by stray »
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #283 on: March 10, 2010, 07:49:24 AM

Where is Zog?

Wonder if Zod and Zog are related :)

They almost seem the same entity, perhaps different planets recollection?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 07:52:26 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #284 on: March 10, 2010, 12:40:33 PM

Some unknown/unheralded black metal.

Kvist.  Only released one album in 1995, but it's good.  I wish more black metal bands had followed their example in that regard.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73S4JWkBVsU&feature=related

Averse Sefira.  One of the better bands still working in today's generally lifeless and unimaginative genre.  Tetragrammatical Astygmata is by far their best work.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMo2h1uO2RA

Sorcier des Glaces.  Youthful inspirational music.  Brilliant production.  Ok, only one of the two previous statements is true.  But luckily production isn't too important in black metal, where streaming melodic development is king, and rhythm is used primarily as ambient forward motion.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIrPe3mgEmQ&feature=related

Auzhia.  Epic.  Requires a long attention span.  But really cool in it's unorthodox style.  Doesn't mind being vague, and features long melodies that often will force one to wait a long time before reaching resolution.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQWhg1_FAGA
lac
Terracotta Army

Reply #285 on: March 12, 2010, 03:17:18 PM

Hah, the music thread.
Since everybody is posting obscure stuff in here and 106's sig made me reminiscence of times long gone by...

When we were kids, our radar only showed rock and pop.
I suppose we were into the generic stuff, I can't really remember.

Then there was Front 242. And shit started changing.

It wasn't until 15 minutes ago I realised how horrible their videos were. But fuck that, they were awesome on cassette!

You probably won't be interested in this unless you have a soft spot for the sounds that, among many others, birthed industrial and electronic music almost 30 years ago.

Front 242:
Headhunter
Funkadhafi
Controversy between paying respect to those who were first.
Happiness
And, of course, a lot more

« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 03:35:20 PM by lac »
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #286 on: March 14, 2010, 08:17:14 AM

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #287 on: March 14, 2010, 11:05:28 AM

This thread is great with the links to the music.  Makes it easier to determine whether something is any good or not.  Much better than reading Amazon or FYE's CD recommendations...
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #288 on: March 15, 2010, 02:12:24 AM

This is pretty cool

Bunch of kids playing Cowboys from Hell, the singer is 12 and he just rocks it out.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #289 on: March 15, 2010, 07:08:05 AM

They're playing some of the Sonisphere festival on Palladium HD. Some good stuff, the new Alice in Chains, Metallica doing Hit the Lights. Bullet for my Valentine is ok, but they do have a bit of the evil cookie monster shit. Really liked Machine Head (couldn't believe they're still touring), their newer tune was really good (Halo off the Blackening).
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #290 on: March 16, 2010, 05:33:05 PM

Cathedral - Forest of Equilibrium is one of the best albums in metal history IMO.  Nice post.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #291 on: March 16, 2010, 07:54:28 PM

I said above somewhere that I'm rebuilding my music collection. I'd like to rant one more time about what a lost opportunity the Misfits are/were. Kind of re-listening to everything Danzig/Misfits atm.

Danzig really sucks. Since IV, I mean. He's almost as hackneyed and cliched as Black Metal. I'm starting to think that Jerry Only is a better songwriter now. ACK! At the very least, it seems like he was a big help.. or something.. in how Glenn used to write. Only still writes goofy horrorpunk comic book shit - just not as well as Glenn did. Should revisit it. Why the hell did he get so serious...

That isn't to say that Samhain/early Danzig sucked though. Even though he was serious, those albums kind of have a cool theme on being torn between good and evil. He never wrote about being evil, but being fucked up. Having a "Twist of Cain", asking "Am I Demon", etc.. After IV though, seems like he decided he was actually evil. And I don't think anyone can pull that shit off successfully. Not Oz, not Danzig. Just look at the cover of Satan's Child, and you realize the guy's a dork. It was probably good that he got sucker punched.

Anyways, like I said.. "rant". Gonna move on to Morrissey now.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 07:57:18 PM by stray »
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #292 on: March 17, 2010, 06:23:18 AM

You got further than I did, I think the last album of Danzing I ever really enjoyed was How the Gods Kill. The next album, and everything after, lost some sort of magic.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #293 on: March 17, 2010, 06:27:41 AM

Cathedral - Forest of Equilibrium is one of the best albums in metal history IMO.  Nice post.
Really? It's decent sludgy music, but the "singer" is comically bad. You're on record with that being as good as Reign in Blood or Abigail or Master of Puppets or Black Sabbath? Hm.
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #294 on: March 17, 2010, 06:31:39 AM

...and you realize the guy's a dork.
Agreed.  When he was writing cool material (ala Samhain and I-IV) it was a little goofy at times, but still good music and catchy songs.  Now?  It's laughably bad.

Really? It's decent sludgy music, but the "singer" is comically bad.
I forgive goofy\bad singers considerably when the music is catchy and the songs are well written.  When it isn't cookie monster-vocals, I can tolerate a LOT of bad singing (like say, Venom or The Darkness).  And this is metal, we all rabidly agree and disagree on favorites to the death ;-)
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #295 on: March 17, 2010, 06:44:19 AM

Cathedral - Forest of Equilibrium is one of the best albums in metal history IMO.  Nice post.
Really? It's decent sludgy music, but the "singer" is comically bad. You're on record with that being as good as Reign in Blood or Abigail or Master of Puppets or Black Sabbath? Hm.

You sir, are out of your mind.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?  You have to consider the time frame of its release (1991), and who comprised the band (Protip: that singer, yeah, NAPLAM DEATH would be his other band). Forest of E, and, for a change of pace The Ethereal Mirror sent shock waves through the scene.

It was some of the best, and is now considered a classic quintessential bridge between so called "doom" and the rest of the metal world.  I personally fell in love with the "hippy/doom/good times" sound they created. Some of the ones I linked were my favorites, but the two first albums, were masterpieces. I would recommend listening to them. However forest of E, is quite possibly one of the SLOWEST albums ever made, some of those songs the tempo can't be quantified, as stark contrast to the sounds of the time.

Also, "One of the best albums" does not replace other, awesome albums. However, Abagail? Pifft, it never held a candle to "them" and "conspiracy"!

Next on: When metal heads fight!

Because you liked it so much! More!

1991, Forest of Equilibrium:
Cathedral - Picture of Beauty and Innocence
That goes right into:
Cathedral - Commiserating the Celebration
Cathedral - A Funeral Request
Cathedral - Equilibrium
Cathedral "Ebony Tears"

Cathedral - Autumn Twilight

Cathedral - Cosmic Funeral

Much more recent:
Cathedral "Stained Glass Horizon"
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 07:20:41 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #296 on: March 17, 2010, 07:26:41 AM

I just can't get all metalhead about a band named Cathedral. I grew up around Cathedrals, and all they summon to mind is wobbly old ladies, warbling priests and the soul crushing smell of incense and boredom.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #297 on: March 17, 2010, 07:59:11 AM

It is true that I know nothing about the metal scene in the late 80s/early 90s  why so serious?

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #298 on: March 17, 2010, 08:00:40 AM

It is true that I know nothing about the metal scene in the late 80s/early 90s  why so serious?

I still love you.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #299 on: March 17, 2010, 08:29:28 AM

I just can't get all metalhead about a band named Cathedral. I grew up around Cathedrals, and all they summon to mind is wobbly old ladies, warbling priests and the soul crushing smell of incense and boredom.
Hey, be thankful!  You got to go be bored in a huge ornately carved building with statues and gilded shit to stare at while the priest drones on.  When I got dragged to church, we only had a simple cramped wooden building where it was just you, the preacher, and Jesus.  Oh how I envied the catholics and their idol worship.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #300 on: March 17, 2010, 09:18:25 AM

I never like ranking albums like that.  Clearly in context RiB and Black Sabbath are the best out there.  However, not in context, I think the best modern death metal is in many ways a superior version of reign in blood. Since it's entirely building off RiB though, how do I rank them?  I don't like ranking music for this reason.

And I really like Abigail!  I think Don't Break the Oath is better though.

But, anyways, the reasons I like Forest are probably the exact reasons you don't like it.  But regardless, I think if you concentrate on that album from start to finish, which I think is important as it is clearly constructed as an album not as just a collection of songs, you will have gone on a fucking trip the likes of which are rarely seen in music in any genre.  One of the particular things it did was actually make me literally sick to my stomach at one point...and then somehow, paradoxically given the tempo, manage to almost spiritually uplift me at another point.  And it is still capable of getting into quite the groove despite the unconventionality...It's a weird, weird experience. 

Candlemass had some good sabbath inspired albums sure (and I think some later cathedral falls in this category as well) but FoE is the first time I think doom really attempts something past Black Sabbath, which is a big deal.  Unfortunately, later Cathedral gets kind of bland and predictable to me tbh.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #301 on: March 17, 2010, 09:20:43 AM

I think Don't Break the Oath is better though.

But, anyways, the reasons I like Forest are probably the exact reasons you don't like it.
Agreed and agreed.

Oath is one of the albums that had a huge influence on my band's style, though. Fate, Sabbath, Metallica, Maiden, Van Halen, Queen and Queensryche would probably be the main influences we had, with a bit of Slayer, Exodus Bonded by Blood, Overkill Feel the Fire and Savatage The Dungeons are Calling.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 09:27:13 AM by Sky »
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #302 on: March 17, 2010, 09:40:22 AM

so...was your band fates warning?  : )

But seriously, that's a very cool list of influences.  Albeit one that I would guess many bands from the 80's were operating with, but correctly so.

Oath is amazing.  The melodic guitarwork in those fate albums kicks the balls out of recent 'melodic death metal', thats for sure.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #303 on: March 17, 2010, 11:48:52 AM

You got further than I did, I think the last album of Danzing I ever really enjoyed was How the Gods Kill. The next album, and everything after, lost some sort of magic.

IV has the ironically titled Cantspeak and Let It Be Captured (which is the same riff as Cantspeak, but in reverse). After that he could neither sing as well or write.
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #304 on: March 17, 2010, 10:53:05 PM

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #305 on: March 17, 2010, 11:43:53 PM

Those zebra finches were better than the last page of this thread.  I used to have zebra finches when I was a kid.  Dr. Feathers and his wife, Marshmallow.  They also make songs of their own.  Yea.  Way better than Danzig.

AKA Gyoza
Korachia
Terracotta Army

Reply #306 on: March 18, 2010, 04:13:25 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kBdMF41O5o

Reminds me of my days in Istanbul, smoking waterpipes and just laying on my back in a huge sofa with other friends, listening to music, sleeping or playing a bit of backgammon, all day long. Memorable mention goes to the people at the waterpipe cafe under the Galata bridge. Oh how I miss those days..

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #307 on: March 18, 2010, 06:30:42 AM

IV has the ironically titled Cantspeak and Let It Be Captured (which is the same riff as Cantspeak, but in reverse). After that he could neither sing as well or write.

Right, forgot about that one. That single is decent Danzig. But still, lost the magic comment still stands.

Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #308 on: March 22, 2010, 07:00:24 AM

I got an order of CDs from Projekt over the weekend, and they included a free sampler CD. I listened to it on the way to work.

Why the fuck can't goths learn to sing?

The male singers are particularly bad, but every goddamn song is full of hysterical yelps, weedy Internet Tough Guy growls, plain overemoting, or bad imitations of Siouxie Sioux or Peter Murphy.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #309 on: March 22, 2010, 08:45:06 PM

For the Metal Heads, Armenian/Assyrian black metal  their past two albums are amazing... Melechesh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZprzPj7CkU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7baRD7SrfM&feature=related

note: I might have pimped this band before...as a fanboi of melechesh I reserve that right.

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
Ozzu
Terracotta Army

Reply #310 on: March 22, 2010, 09:05:33 PM

I'm currently bouncing between 3 bands:

1. Riverside

Example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhXWzads9YI

2. Pure Reason Revolution

Example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhQaPT6CS08

3. Bigelf

Example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4dZAJojwVM
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #311 on: March 23, 2010, 06:40:52 AM

I don't remember if I've linked to Wolfgang's Vault before, but the place rocks. Last week they had a Texas sale, I missed ZZ Top day but got a 1984 performance by SRV for $6 (FLAC, $4 for mp3). They stream a bunch of stuff for free.

I'm a big fan of Peter Green-era Mac, if you like guitars and only know the Rumors bunch, check it out.

Anyway, been listening to that SRV disc, Mercyful Fate's Don't Break the Oath and some Charlie Patton.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #312 on: March 23, 2010, 11:13:37 AM

I have been in to this guy recently.
Warren Suicide. Electronic.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #313 on: March 24, 2010, 07:05:42 AM

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #314 on: March 24, 2010, 04:12:43 PM

This is kind of a cool way to hear new music and such (and lawl, it has daily quests):

http://www.thesixtyone.com

Fair warning, a lot of the stuff on there is shitty.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 74 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Music thread  
Jump to: