Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:02:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Music thread 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 74 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Music thread  (Read 815208 times)
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #35 on: October 13, 2009, 08:04:40 PM

who  are mostly Styx.

Don't even fuck with Styx......
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: October 14, 2009, 05:38:27 AM

Does anyone else absolutely despise most "classic rock"? 

My least favorite five:

1.  Eagles
2.  Doobie Brothers
3.  Journey
4.  Van Halen
5.  Police/Sting

I like them all.  I listen to them all.  I least like the Doobie Brothers, but have to confess that I like the sound of Michael McDonald's voice.  He did some great backing tracks for Steely Dan, which is one of my favorite bands. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: October 14, 2009, 07:04:39 AM

My least favorite five:

1.  Eagles
2.  Doobie Brothers
3.  Journey
4.  Van Halen
5.  Police/Sting

Just a small town girl...

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #38 on: October 14, 2009, 07:47:58 AM

I just learned Long Train Running last week.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: October 14, 2009, 08:08:56 AM

Add Little Feat to my list.  Been listening to a lot of Lowell George era Feat and I had forgotten how wonderful it is. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: October 14, 2009, 08:15:28 AM

Honestly, I am a huge metal head, and love some odd shit. Recently however, its all jazz from the 20's and 30's.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #41 on: October 14, 2009, 11:38:49 AM

Honestly, I am a huge metal head, and love some odd shit. Recently however, its all jazz from the 20's and 30's.

I just got a big band box set from Costco and am loving it. 
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: October 14, 2009, 11:49:49 AM

I just got a big band box set from Costco and am loving it. 

Name? Ill go take a look.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #43 on: October 14, 2009, 01:25:32 PM

My least favorite five:

1.  Eagles
2.  Doobie Brothers
3.  Journey
4.  Van Halen
5.  Police/Sting

I like them all.  I listen to them all.  I least like the Doobie Brothers, but have to confess that I like the sound of Michael McDonald's voice.  He did some great backing tracks for Steely Dan, which is one of my favorite bands. 

Nebu: have you watched any of the Yacht Rock stuff?

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: October 14, 2009, 01:36:41 PM

No.  If you could PM me a link to something, I'd be grateful. 

-  Mark Twain
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #45 on: October 14, 2009, 01:40:42 PM

No.  If you could PM me a link to something, I'd be grateful. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMTI8vg7A5U is a link to the first episode. Last I checked episode 8 had no sound due to one of those record company violation things. There are currently 11 of them. Silly stuff mostly, but some of it is hilarious.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: October 14, 2009, 02:05:02 PM

Crap. Now I have to watch all of them, again.

beer geek.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #47 on: October 16, 2009, 07:22:42 AM

Been listening to The Faint a little bit lately.  I like them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiNB0vL8eRk

My wife said that a lot of the music I'm listening to lately "sounds like what the Revenge of the Nerds guys would have sounded like with real instruments".  I laughed my ass off about that.
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #48 on: October 16, 2009, 09:52:48 PM

Diablo Swing Orchestra - Sing-Along Songs For The Damned And Delirious (avant-metal with operatic female vocals and a swing jazz jive)
The Flaming Lips - Embryonic (brilliant new album from the Lips)
Robin Guthrie - Carousel (former Cocteau Twins guitar man does more of his layered jangly thing solo)
Still Light - Lything (very limited first CDR release by new psych folk band featuring Sand Snowman)
Amplifier - The Astronaut Dismantles HAL (noisy space rock band that I had the misfortune of seeing live first)

Some streaming shit:

http://www.22tracks.com/#/disco/1/

Track 1 - LCD Soundsystem - Bye Bye Bayou (Alan Vega cover)

If you flip over to rock on that site, you can hear some Flaming Lips and the BLK JKS that I mentioned in a previous post too. I keep meaning to get the new Alice In Chains, listened to a song form that too, it was okay.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #49 on: October 20, 2009, 07:34:23 AM

Picked up the new Raconteurs album last night.  Jack White isn't for everyone, but damn this is good. 
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: October 20, 2009, 07:49:06 AM

Been listening to a Wolfgang's Vault of Muddy Waters in 66. Apparently Graham used to record a lot of the acts that played at his venue and there's a ton of stuff laying around. It's a mediocre performance, but still enjoyable.

Also have an mp3cd of the full Allman Bros show we saw this summer at CPAC, the stuff with Jimmy Herring sitting in is on fire. Warren and Derek had played a bit with WP in the opener and were all warmed up, the show starts with a hot version of Hot Lanta. The bass mix is really nice, thumps good in the truck, especially Liz Reed w/bass solo.

Finally, lots of Susan Tedeschi, especially Hope & Desire. She's such an amazing artist.

Oh, here's WV: http://www.wolfgangsvault.com/
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: October 20, 2009, 05:48:25 PM

My least favorite five:

1.  Eagles
2.  Doobie Brothers
3.  Journey
4.  Van Halen
5.  Police/Sting

I like them all.  I listen to them all.  I least like the Doobie Brothers, but have to confess that I like the sound of Michael McDonald's voice.  He did some great backing tracks for Steely Dan, which is one of my favorite bands.  

I pretty much listen to mostly, what is considered nowadays, classic rock and even the metal I do listen too is pretty much old stuff.  Like I won't listen to anything by Metallica after And Justice for All.  There is very little music that's came out in the last 8-9 years that has really appealed to me at all.  

On that list though, I'm not a huge Eagles or Sting fan.  

Most of my music lately is:

Rush
Grateful Dead
Phish
AC/DC
Tool
Iron Maiden
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 05:50:29 PM by Evildrider »
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: October 22, 2009, 07:20:33 PM

Finally, lots of Susan Tedeschi, especially Hope & Desire. She's such an amazing artist.

Her cover of 'Rock and Roll' blows my socks off. 

But pretty much anything she does has the same effect.
Righ
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: October 22, 2009, 09:33:10 PM

Like I won't listen to anything by Metallica after And Justice for All.

You can cut a few decent songs off subsequent albums, but they've pretty much sucked since then, so fair enough.

There is very little music that's came out in the last 8-9 years that has really appealed to me at all.  

You're using nostalgic attachment to known music as self therapy for your clinical depression. That, or you're under a rock. Based on what you like, there's a lot of good music out there for you to discover. You seem to like your rock music heavy, with adventurous rhythm and you don't mind a bit of complexity. You might like many of the less symphonic or melodic progressive metal bands out there, you might like some of the post-metal bands. You are going to have to listen around - the music industry as we knew it no longer exists and you aren't going to hear newer rock bands on TV or radio unless they're already fairly sanitised by the major labels that essentially own the press.

Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: October 22, 2009, 09:46:08 PM

You can cut a few decent songs off subsequent albums, but they've pretty much sucked since then, so fair enough.
That's pretty much how I feel too.  I didn't mind the Black Album, despite what it "stood for" in those days.  I didn't even mind some of the songs off of Load, but the album was way too damn long and Re-load just seemed like more of the same.  The most recent album is... a good try.  I don't hate it and it is a return to form, but something is missing that makes me want to really get into it.  I can't put my finger on it though.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: October 23, 2009, 03:59:20 AM

Phish

I have often wondered why Phish are completely nonexistant outside the US.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: October 23, 2009, 07:36:30 AM

I'm one of the only people who enjoyed the St Anger album. I think it's got some good tracks on it. Every Metallica album does, but the thing I liked most about Metallica was Cliff and what he brought to the table with composition. No more Orion, no more Call of Ktulu.

As far as modern music, there's a ton of great shit out there, you just have to go find it. Stuff like Pandora or YouTube or even listening to samples on Amazon can yield great results. Since you like heavy melodic stuff, I'd recommend the new Mastadon album, Crack the Skye. It's wicked. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xXJu-C7_fU -> dude's got the album up, but they'll take it down soon since they've got a tube channel. You can check all the tracks for now, though. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzwYMRKBkkg
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: October 23, 2009, 12:07:07 PM

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #58 on: October 23, 2009, 12:20:16 PM

I like the new Metallica album too, but I've not bought it (or stolen it!). My friends played it a couple of times, and I didn't roll my eyes. So I guess it's good.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Mastodon went melodic? Well, I'll check out the new stuff. I like them, but I always associated them as sludgy Melvins like. Sometimes psychedelic. But not melodic. edit: It's cool.. Not sure if I'd call it melodic... Like in the Maiden sense. "New" melodic metal imo is the emo/warped tour shit I listen to. There are some sick, "melodic" guitar players in some of these bands.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 12:27:59 PM by stray »
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #59 on: October 23, 2009, 05:26:33 PM

Also, Trivium is a cool newish metal band imo. So long as you don't mind the Sepultura-ish screaming.. He can sing when he wants though. And guitarwise, both are great.

[edit] Eh, since this is the "Music" thread, allow me to rant on metal for a sec..

I don't think either of these bands are emo. Really, I don't even know what "emo" is when it comes down to it. They're all just rock bands, some good, some not. The only reason I mention it in this context though is for sarcasm. A a lot self proclaimed "true metal" fans use the term. Just a lot of hate within metal circles in general.. And I swear, fucking metal fans can be the worst. They're like the Joan Rivers of music snobs. Very damning when it comes to image, regardless of music.

I think Kerry King wouldn't invite bands like Trivium (and Mastodon) to tour with him if they weren't "metal" though. Or Hetfield wouldn't call Sevenfold one of his favorite newer bands if it weren't the case.

I'm gonna say that the same applies to Dave Grohl while I'm at it... he writes better metal songs than just about anyone these days. Last great thing I ever heard from Lemmy or King Diamond or Cavalera were Dave Grohl songs! And his part in Pick of Destiny is about the most glorious bit of metal posturing I've ever seen.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? Yet, he won't get the credit for it from genre fans.

OK, I'm finished. Thanks for reading ;)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 07:51:19 PM by stray »
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: October 23, 2009, 11:28:03 PM

I think "metal" (holy Moses, that's a fuzzy label) is an intent more than a genre, and that intent is to be extreme and edgy. Slayer was the crème-de-la-crème in metal twenty years ago, but now they're just pretty tired dudes. Corollary, a band sounding like Iron Maiden starting today doesn't necessarily have to classify as metal, because the genre has moved on. I'm not too big in general on labelling bands I listen to, but Avenged Sevenfold and Trivum (although I don't actually listen to either) are both bands I'd label as "rock with metal elements." There are simply SO MANY bands with dual guitars and screaming/whining today that just sticking them all in the metal genre is a little pointless, atleast if you're not placing them in individual subgenres like "death", "speed", "heavy" and so on.

Also, there's a huge disconnect between what you in the US relate to as metal and what Europeans typically call metal, particularily if they're from northern Europe. What we have over here are basically three major genres of metal, death, black and speed. There there are the obvious subgenres of subgenres, like symphonic, thrash, grind et.c...

My point is that the only real common denominator for metal is "drums and distorted guitars", so saying "it isn't metal" is... well, both accurate and inaccurate. I don't know if it has too much with being "trve" per se. You can label pretty much any 4/5-piece rock act as metal with some creativity, it's just a really dated label and kinda pointless to do. Like I said, I don't personally call the previous bands (Trivium and Sevenfold) metal bands (atleast, that's not what I would say to a friend if I were to describe the music), but I can understand that some people do, because metal is just that regional and fluid a definition. Describing bands in metal (the supergenre) needs a better vocabulary than that, because even if there are still lots of border cases, they are better definitions.

PS.
My intention wasn't to define the bands I linked, merely provide examples. They are, obviously, as much subject to the fluidity as any band...
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 12:50:33 AM by Tarami »

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #61 on: October 24, 2009, 01:51:27 AM

Heh.. Well apparently, the label they get is metalcore.. with the exception of Avenged Sevenfold branching off a bit into just hard rock territory. I find the whole Euro/USA distinction silly though in Trivium's case. There are plenty of bands that have similar riffage. The whole "Gothenberg"/melodic death metal sound, for instance. The Haunted is Swedish.. yet they are not that different than what gets classified as American "metalcore". In fact, it's pretty much the same thing. The difference between these bands and, say, a typical black metal Euro band? The death metal/melodic/metalcore/gothenburg dudes can fucking play their guitars, and black metal dudes can not. That's the only distinction. One is good and the other is complete fucking monkey balls in shoddy kiss makeup.

Anyhow, labels are so tiring.. They're convenient to a point, but all of the subgenre category stuff gets tiring. Be it metal or electronic or whatever. Sometimes I'm not even sure if the "metal" category is necessary. The traditional reasoning is that some people want to differentiate the sound from anything resembling traditional blues based rock. On strictly a music theory note, yes, many metal bands don't even follow the same progressions and formulas as rock does - but then, you'd also have to write off a ton of "de facto" metal bands from being classified as metal too then if you were to follow that reasoning. Sabbath is bluesy as fuck. Are they not metal? Yes, they are Metal as fuck. Elements of both Metallica, Motorhead, and Maiden are blues-laden, even though they're among the bands that first started blending into something else. And occassionally, someone does come around and starts saying that shit (and I've heard it before).. like, "Sabbath and Motorhead aren't metal". No. They are metal and you are a fucking idiot (not speaking to you necessarily.. I'm just lashing out to the air here, don't mind me  why so serious?). And any band that's taken some of the Sabbath sound, for that matter - say, like, Corrosion of Conformity - they are metal too. And goddamn talented.. Which is the important thing. If anyone is writing off talent because they've got their head too far up their "scene's" ass, or don't even talk about music at all, and just go straight for what fits an "image" in their mind, then they piss me off. It's really insulting. And these aren't even my bands! I'm just insulted because I know as a musician talent doesn't grow on trees.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #62 on: October 24, 2009, 05:41:55 AM

Ask Lemmy if he thinks Motorhead are is  ACK! metal.

Anyway, yes, I think the labels are necessary if you music is your business.  If it's your passion, call it anything you like because it doesn't matter.  

Oh, and I obviously suck at both sarcasm and rhetoric.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 09:25:04 AM by Signe »

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: October 24, 2009, 09:17:03 AM

Slayer was the crème-de-la-crème in metal twenty years ago, but now they're just pretty tired dudes.
You obviously haven't heard the most recent album or the new one that is coming out in 2 weeks ;-)

Ask Lemmy if he thinks Motorhead are metal.
He gets angry!  He insists they are rock and roll, which they really are with degrees of punk rock and heavy metal.  It doesn't get much more consistent than a Motörhead album though.  35 years and still putting out the same quality rock, couple of dud songs, couple of great ones, and good albums overall compared to modern music's trend of putting 1-2 hits on a CD and hoping you skip the rest.

There are plenty of good bands out there that are putting out quality music.  You just won't find any of it on the Top 40 radio stations or even on Amazon.com's bestseller list.  If you are interested in heavy metal, you really need to get involved or tuned in to the scene just like it used to be 25-30 years ago.  Friends recommending bands, trading tapes (CDs\MP3s now), album reviews websites NOT run by any label, and going to shows where 4-5 bands are on the bill in some shitty club.  Sure, there's alot of crap out there, but there is ALOT of good stuff if you dig deep enough and listen enough.  I never would have heard of bands like Angeldust, Crown of Thorns, Celtic Frost, The Distillers, Edge of Sanity, Frank Zappa, Testament, and Witchery if I hadn't been asking around and listening to other people's recommendations (I know, not all of them are new or even metal in some sense, but the point still stands that not a single one of those artists got radio play and I discovered them either through CD trading or a concert I attended).  I would have missed alot and been stuck with what the record labels want me to consider "hard rock" - Black Sabbath's first 2 albums, Ozzy's hits, Black album era Metallica, Led Zeppelin, Lynyrd Skynyrd, and Pink Floyd's The Wall\Dark Side Of The Moon (don't get me wrong, all decent bands with good songs, but rock radio sure likes to play the fuck out of their 4-5 "hits" and they treat Ozzy like he's some kind of metal god).

And yes, all Black Metal sucks after Venom ;-)
Righ
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: October 24, 2009, 09:46:14 AM

Labels are useful. They are almost always inaccurate, vulgar and simplistic ways to describe music, but they provide reference points that allow people unfamiliar with a particular artist to know roughly how they will sound. Obviously the ever more detailed subcategories will seem excessive unless you listen to a lot of music of that type - you not only need to know what black metal, death metal and the intersection between them sound like in order to understand what 'blackened death metal' is, but you need to know the differences in style between the bands that mix both death metal and black metal. So if you just happen to like a few exceptional bands under these labels, the more detailed subcategories seem absurd. However, they are (necessarily inexact) shorthand for useful distinctions, and you don't need the audience to learn music theory to 'get' them.

What I don't like are people who use labels as badges for their musical bigotry. If you disregard all music labelled as being hip-hop or related to it because you think hip-hop is crap, you're being intellectually lazy at best. There are forms of music which are dominated by music labels who are churning out by-the-numbers populist bullshit such as country & western, disco or hip-hop, but that doesn't mean that there isn't incredible and original music that fits the labels. It may not connect with you, but there is talent to be found in all forms of music - it's often underexposed, but its always there. However, it's worse when it's driven by banal fashion. As an artist, it is good to challenge the status quo and to try and gain popularity - often by condemning what came before you - while doing something different. It's fair enough to fall prey to those artistic condemnations when you are a teenager. If you're an adult and you still think prog is crap because you're into punk or vice-versa, you're an idiot. Labels are not taste indicators or fashion badges, they're just signposts.

This post typed while listening to Pure Reason Revolution.

Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: October 24, 2009, 10:58:26 AM

A music thread? In my f13? etc etc

2009 will be remembered as a good vintage, I think. From the meteoric rise and rise of the return of Shoegaze and all it's lovely little subsidaries to some sparkling psychedelic pop and some hands down brilliant indie. Please excuse the following use of labels/genres, but as Righ says, there's not really a lot you can do about it these days.

My tune of the year so far goes to Memory Tapes, and to be honest 'Seek Magic' could quite possibly be the best album of the year for me as well. It falls under the Shoegaze/Electronica subclass Dream-beat (or Chillwave), but it's basically channeling that ethereal sense of nostalgia you find impossible to nail down but revel in the feeling all the same.
Here's the quite astronomically brilliant Bicycles. Pay attention at about 3:30 in, when Mr Hawke unlocks the sonic genome for joy.

Neon Indian have also been bringing me much happiness, more of a Glo-fi/Funk feel to their stuff. Their album Psychic Chasms, again, surfs that nostalgic ocean, but is much more reliant on samples and a mixtape aesthetic. Check out Mind, Drips for some trippy, heady funk. Killer synth bassline.

Washed out follow up nicely, breaching both the Dream-beat and Glo-fi sounds with a gorgeous little number called Hold Out

On a totally different note, one of my favourite discoveries this year has been Emilie Simon, a french Chanson/Electronica artist who sort of resides in a little fluffy fantasy world floating somewhere between the psychic mindspace of Kate Bush and Björk. I haven't had the chance to listen to everything she's done so far, but I got hold of her album 'Végétal' and I was completely under her spell. It's mostly sung in French, and it's a language she plays with beautifully. Couple of youtube vids of note: Fleur de Saison (a promo vid) and a live performance of Rose Hybride De Thé.

On the French tip, if you haven't heard any of Phoenix' 'Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix' by now, it's time to join the party. Lisztomania.

Probably lotls more to come.

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
Righ
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: October 24, 2009, 01:29:26 PM

Here's the quite astronomically brilliant Bicycles.

I'll take your word on the album being shoegazey, but that particular song is pure Low-Life period New Order. I have discovered one really good shoegaze album from this year - Engineers' Three Fact Fader.

And of course the master himself is back to full strength, Robin Guthrie put out an album and three EPs this year.

IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #67 on: October 24, 2009, 01:39:04 PM

Ask Lemmy if he thinks Motorhead are metal.
He gets angry!

To be fair, Lemmy is the guy who got thrown out of Hawkwind for taking too many drugs. I'm not sure he should be a go-to guy for any kind of opinions - even on his own stuff.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
lac
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: October 24, 2009, 01:57:39 PM

EELS - That Look You Give That Guy A most beautiful sad song and I do like me some beard in my sad songs.

Then there were these Germans who popped out of nowhere and made a song that somehow resonated throughout Europe. Paul & Fritz Kalkbrenner - Sky And Sand.

And when things got quiet, from the bowels of Europe an anthem rose. Deze neger komt zo hard. Without doubt a horrible local cult hit. And these are the best hits.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 02:00:24 PM by lac »
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #69 on: October 24, 2009, 02:23:06 PM

Good posts guys :)

Besides poppy emo metal, I discovered that Italian prog is most excellent prog. Le Orme

2009 albums.. I haven't listened to much new since summer. I think Jason Stollsteimer - more famous for getting his ass beat by Jack White - writes much better than Jack White. There's nothing mind blowing or innovative about his music.. in fact, it feels like I've *sort of* heard these songs before in another time... But I can't pinpoint where. But that could just be a credit to his pop sense. You've probably heard the one minor hit he had a couple years ago (C'mon C'mon).

I also liked Metric's album... But probably not as much as Falconeer likes it.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 74 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Music thread  
Jump to: