Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:52:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Music thread 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 74 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Music thread  (Read 815228 times)
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #2450 on: August 30, 2019, 09:45:58 AM

That is really not a passive listen. I like it a lot, but it wasn’t written to be background music.

The track Descending is an amazing jam. I really didn’t like it when they played live, the album captures such a great version of it.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #2451 on: August 30, 2019, 12:00:27 PM

I stopped my full listen until I can lay out with headphones in my recliner and a nice tumbler of scotch. Really excited, the 7even track I was listening to this morning is sooo good.
Stewie
Terracotta Army

Reply #2452 on: August 30, 2019, 01:20:03 PM

I had pre-ordered the CD and got that today. That said the leaked copy managed to find its way to me on Monday and I have been listening to it all week.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Initially the Wife and I listened to in the Livingroom through the sound bar and we also had the portable AC going. My initial reaction was, its good,but just more tool.

Later that night I threw on my good headphones and gave it a real listen. I may as well have been listening to a completely different album. There was just soo much more to it.

Overall it is incredibly dense. Of course this pretty par for the course with Tool but even more so with this album. That said there is no real ear worm or even real catchy hook. No Sober, The Pot, Schism etc I also find that each song is somewhat similar in that they build up as they go except for 7empest which is pretty aggressive right out of the gate. Honestly I feel that there is a not a ton to differentiate each song and it could have just been one big 85 minute long jam.

The vocals are very subdued. Also no real rage from Maynard like typical tool albums. No Screaming at all.

This is clearly a Drums 1st album with lead guitars following close behind. I was really hoping to get more Bass as I really like Justin Chancellor's playing. Oh well.

Over all it is a great album in my opinion. Maybe a little less accessible but will make most of the long time fans very happy.

My initial thought was that 7empest was the standout track then I started leaning towards Pnuema but the more I listen to it, the more I think Culling Voices is the real star.    
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 01:22:13 PM by Stewie »

Professional Forum Lurker.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #2453 on: August 30, 2019, 11:01:40 PM

I had a lot of driving to do today, so I listened to the new Tool album 1 1/2 times already. It is seriously dense. Tons of abrupt, start/stop time signature changes that almost feel like they are pieced together into longer passages that just go on and on yet don't get boring. There are some really interesting pieces to it but it's going to take a while to absorb.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #2454 on: September 04, 2019, 05:01:47 AM

I had pre-ordered the CD and got that today.    

What's this "CD" thing you refer to?

For whatever reason, Tool is a band that has never been on my radar.  I am not sure they fit my exact tastes (which are fucking strange, I will be the first to admit), but I suppose I should give it a whirl.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #2455 on: September 04, 2019, 12:28:50 PM

Pijn & Conjuror : Curse these metal hands

I’ve been listening to a lot of Baroness lately, Gold and Grey has really grown to be one of my favorite albums this year. This project came up in my recommendations and it sounds like Baroness meeting post rock and black metal and... I don’t know what else. I like it.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #2456 on: September 05, 2019, 02:44:16 PM

For whatever reason, Tool is a band that has never been on my radar.  I am not sure they fit my exact tastes (which are fucking strange, I will be the first to admit), but I suppose I should give it a whirl.
I'd recommend starting with deep listens to Lateralus if you want to dig into Tool. Or maybe take the journey and start with the EP if you like angrier, more rock style.

I happened to flip on PBS and saw Residente. They were pretty cool but I kept turning my ear to the drummer...camera cuts to him and I blurt, 'holy crap, that's Pridgen!' The old lady rolls her eyes (not the first time I've been overjoyed to see someone nobody knows by name). So I've been listening to Residente a bit, but I REALLY want to hear him record with Pridgen (amazing drummer who was with Mars Volta for a bit).

My favorite call-out of the obscure rock star was at a Dickey Betts show. We were up front and Andy Aledort came out and I kinda fanboyd out a bit. Being in the front row, Andy looks over, laughs and points at Dickey, equal parts 'Dude, ever hear of this guy?' and 'Please do not piss off the boss' (Dickey being infamously aptly named). But he did go on to bring Duane over in front of me and rip great solos all night, knowing where the guitar nerd up front was.

Oh, also been spinning Alabama Shakes Sound and Color a lot again recently. Gimme All Your Love is my favorite 1st track when playing Rocksmith. Nice easy opener that also sets the groove.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 02:47:22 PM by Sky »
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #2457 on: September 05, 2019, 10:35:32 PM

For whatever reason, Tool is a band that has never been on my radar.  I am not sure they fit my exact tastes (which are fucking strange, I will be the first to admit), but I suppose I should give it a whirl.

I'd recommend starting with deep listens to Lateralus if you want to dig into Tool. Or maybe take the journey and start with the EP if you like angrier, more rock style.

Yeah, I definitely go for the angrier stuff.  My first attempt at the new album had me thinking "meh, I can appreciate the music, but too mellow for me".

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #2458 on: October 04, 2019, 11:25:54 AM

Did you ever wish Primus was more insane plus death metal vox?

Diablo Swing Orchestra got you fam
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #2459 on: October 11, 2019, 09:01:15 PM

I feel completely blessed that I get to live on the same planet as Nick Cave. His new album Ghosteen is one of the most intimate pieces of art created. It's not an easy listen, filled with grief and longing and maybe even hopefulness?

This album is his response, of sorts, to the death of his fifteen year old son a few years ago. About four years ago his son apparently tried LSD for the first time and walked off a cliff in confusion. As someone who spent a lot of my youth pretty fucked up, and also as someone with a teenager... I cannot imagine.

There's a reason this album is getting 90+ on reviews - it's amazing. However, it's a tough listen.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #2460 on: October 11, 2019, 11:12:19 PM

I have never in my life "gotten" Nick Cave. People keep telling me he's great and I just don't get it. I'm including the new album in this because I tried to listen to it and didn't hate it, but didn't really get it either. He always comes off like Leonard Cohen with less vocal presence.

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #2461 on: October 12, 2019, 12:09:37 AM

That's okay man. Thanks for trying it out.
Wasted
Terracotta Army

Reply #2462 on: October 18, 2019, 07:05:34 AM

Unfortunately his voice isn't as strong now as it was.  I love Nick Cave, as good as the new album is though, there is always a little part of me misses the energetic singing of his earlier days and that gets in the way of me fulling enjoying this.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #2463 on: November 04, 2019, 11:17:20 AM

Listening to some old CDs and I forgot how completely amazing Bungle was...

Carry Stress in the Jaw
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #2464 on: November 06, 2019, 08:44:21 AM

Dwight really elevates the riffs in this version of Stinkfist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0A6mvzwHuQ
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #2465 on: December 16, 2019, 12:26:03 PM

There are a million 'If song X was on AJFA' that just rip out the bass and flatten the snare...then there's this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckbzMKJVUWQ

Actually made me enjoy Enter Sandman for the first time ever. Remarkable.

Also, people are slacking here.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #2466 on: December 16, 2019, 06:38:19 PM

There are a million 'If song X was on AJFA' that just rip out the bass and flatten the snare...then there's this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckbzMKJVUWQ

ROFL.  why so serious?

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #2467 on: December 17, 2019, 04:47:02 AM

Heh, that was good.  I actually think the Black album is their best overall album, but I Sandman was one of my least favorit tracks.

And you just made me realize for the first time how lacking the bass is from AJFA.  I instinctively knew it, but never really thought about it.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #2468 on: December 17, 2019, 06:52:59 AM

Metallica for me was about 90% Cliff. So I like Ride, Master, and Justice. Kill Em All was a little juvenile, tbh, and any local band that covered Metallica would play Seek & Destroy. My band didn't do covers, but we could play the entire Master album and several tracks off Ride. Hearing S&D is like a living nightmare for me. I learned to play bass by learning ...And Justice front to back, ironically. Couldn't stand Newsted at all.

Anyway, my favorite non-Cliff-era Metallica is St Anger. I don't get the hate, there are some great tunes on there. Wait, I take it back...it's probably the newest album. Really badass and it only took them 30 years to get there undecided
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #2469 on: December 18, 2019, 04:13:05 PM

Pretty much the only album I return to is Ride the Lightning.  Master of Puppets is wonderful and all but I have heard that album so many times that I am simply done with it (about where I am with Zepplin. Yes they are awesome, no I don't need to hear them ever again-ish).

As hipsterish as this will sound I was done with them with AJFA my teenage self found it boring (songs too long and too slow for me at that age).  Black album had its moments and I have an awesome high school making out with someone memory associated with the MTV premier of Enter Sandman.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS    I made out with "the hot chick" at her house while her mother was gone after we watched the premier  awesome, for real so I got that going for me...

As for new music I have been listening to a lot of Eivor recently.  Icelandic music with very cool female vocals.  I don't know what genre this falls in other than "if it comes from Iceland then it is probably super cool".  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqnMkUcTmys

*edit* oh and First Aid Kit, not sure if I have mentioned them. I fell in love with them.  Two Swedish sisters who sing Folk/Folk Rock.   If you like Emmy Lou Harris you will probably dig their stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xp97VectoaQ
« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 04:16:11 PM by Fraeg »

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #2470 on: December 19, 2019, 07:04:48 AM

I barely listen to any pop music anymore (and by pop I mean anything made after 1950). Mostly classical now. Recent dips into pop stuff have been Mars Volta, Charlie Daniels, Funkadelic, Tool, The Slackers; according to amazon music. Plus some of my boy Yo doing the cellobach thang and my current operatc jammer is the Marriage of Figaro.

Really digging that Sweded Emmalou, she was one of my first star crushes. Still is!
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #2471 on: December 19, 2019, 07:31:08 AM

Radio station I listen to has been playing this song "Colors" by Black Pumas and I love it -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EntxPIULUI

I couldn't think of who it reminded me of, it just has a "I've heard something like this before" but not in a bad or copy-cat way.  I finally settled on Michael Kiwanuka (Cold Little Heart -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOubjLM9Cbc ) for some reason.  Another artist whose songs I love.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #2472 on: December 19, 2019, 09:00:23 AM

Reminds me a little of Seal in a good way.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #2473 on: January 10, 2020, 07:16:38 AM

Heard a guitarist today that is kind of close to a style I've been developing for a long time and come back to more and more the past few years.

Mdou Moctar

Just picked up the latest and first album, love the polish of the new and rawness of the original.
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #2474 on: January 10, 2020, 03:18:09 PM

RIP Neil

Lemmy, Dio, Jeff, and Dime now have a killer drummer.

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #2475 on: March 11, 2020, 11:43:01 AM

Until today, you did not know you needed dark doom jazz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0e5m6Ae3MY

Now you know.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #2476 on: March 25, 2020, 10:05:21 PM

Before you click the link: it's Tool, and it's focused on the drummer: https://youtu.be/FssULNGSZIA
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #2477 on: April 06, 2020, 02:12:52 PM

Drum cams give me a boner.

Breakdown for people who haven't spent years watching drummers drum and wonder why this drummer drumming is drumazing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lYueg-s_7g
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #2478 on: April 11, 2020, 01:59:29 AM

My new youtube dude is this Norwegian goofball with an Italian name that does metal covers of all sorts of stuff playing every instrument.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC98tcedR6gULv8_b70WJKyw

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #2479 on: April 11, 2020, 05:55:39 PM

Leo's fantastic.  Love his enthusiasm for the music.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #2480 on: April 14, 2020, 11:11:31 AM

Speaking of weird cover channels, there's the guy who puts Bruce Dickinson into stuff. He's got a pretty great imitation going.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eS389S5-YQM

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #2481 on: May 03, 2020, 04:27:09 AM

A couple of people in Leo's orbit are also really great. Hannah Boulton & Rabea Massaad are a really talented singer and guitarist respectively who show up in some of his stuff.  This song has a big resonance for me for reason I won't get into, but this version is fucking nails, particularly the solo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGHRiTJReAk

The tone on that strat is just...... Ohhhhh, I see.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 04:35:55 AM by Abagadro »

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #2482 on: June 03, 2020, 01:58:10 PM

RTJ4 out for free today (early). Optional donation to the Mass Defense Fund.

https://us-preorder.runthejewels.com/products/rtj4-download

-Rasix
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #2483 on: June 03, 2020, 11:26:34 PM

"discovered" The War on Drugs.... wow.... just fucking wow this band is so good....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvmEYgFsgyg

The video is pretty meh, but the music...  Heart Love Letters

a live version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1n-auMNb8N0
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 11:28:05 PM by Fraeg »

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #2484 on: June 09, 2020, 07:11:41 AM

2020 ain't all bad...we now have new Bungle...now with more Scott Ian and Dave Lombardo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PMz0frVKkc

That's the release (for charity). I missed that they did this live a few months back: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfSDCvVvQqc
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 74 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Music thread  
Jump to: