Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:28:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Music thread 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 74 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Music thread  (Read 815254 times)
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #2415 on: May 07, 2019, 07:57:39 AM

I’ve been listening to Tool almost as long as Sky and they were one of my favorites to now feel a bit overdone and overplayed. I didn’t care for Lateralus but 10,000 Days really struck a chord with me and I enjoyed it. But that was almost 14 years ago now. I’ve moved on to other things and while I still enjoy them, as a band I don’t feel they contribute much new anymore. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with that either. I’ll still get whatever new album comes out, but I’ve seen them 4 times and don’t see much reason to go see them again as the setlist isn’t that varied. Their rabid fan base also annoys me a bit too but that’s my problem ;-) The new songs sound ok, but they sound like something that should have come out 10 years ago.

Contrary to everyone else I never liked APC.

I’m a music snob...
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #2416 on: May 07, 2019, 08:32:34 AM

Brena and The Noose are two of the most beautiful songs evah!
Korachia
Terracotta Army

Reply #2417 on: May 18, 2019, 04:35:36 AM

Rammstein´s new albim was released yesterday!

If you got a free sportify account, you can hear it here: https://open.spotify.com/album/1LoyJQVHPLHE3fCCS8Juek

Personal favorites so far Puppe, Ausländer and Diamond.

What do you guys think?
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #2418 on: May 20, 2019, 12:25:10 AM

I already think Radio and Deutschland (the latter in particular) are great, so it is promising that you marked three additional songs.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #2419 on: May 21, 2019, 11:46:11 PM

In honor of Game of Thrones coming to a painful conclusion I present to you guitarists rocking the main theme on Fender's new Sigil Collection guitars:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6i0a7RDPkM8
Watch as Game Of Thrones creator Dan Weiss, Tom Morello of Audioslave/Rage Against The Machine, Scott Ian of Anthrax, Nuno Bettencourt of Extreme, Brad Paisley, and Game Of Thrones composer Ramin Djawadi shred on the all-new Sigil Collection Guitars from The Fender Custom Shop.
I had no idea Brad Paisley was such a good guitarist (don't listen to country music, obviously). Nuno was totally impressed by his solo too!
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #2420 on: May 22, 2019, 05:58:33 AM

There are a bunch of really great country guitarists who few people know are great unless they see them in concert because country is pop now. Usually only comes out live, when they pair up with rock guys, etc.
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #2421 on: May 22, 2019, 07:20:31 PM

Mastodon covering Stairway to Heaven.  Not really a fan of Zepplin, but a pretty good cover nevertheless.

I like the new Rammstein album overall, but the back half is kinda forgettable.  I find myself zoning out after Sex/Puppe, and realistically Auslander is the last track I am fully engaged and listening to, until the album starts over again. 
The latest Amon Amarth album, however, does not suffer from that problem, even if it is a bit cookie monster-y.

Looking forward to the new Heilung album coming out at the end of June.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #2422 on: May 22, 2019, 07:45:39 PM

Looking forward to the new Heilung album coming out at the end of June.

Thanks for the heads up on that.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #2423 on: May 23, 2019, 06:34:41 AM

I love Mastodon, but I felt that song kinda sucked. I mean, it's competent but meh. If you cover it, make it your own.
Korachia
Terracotta Army

Reply #2424 on: May 24, 2019, 11:41:47 AM

Pretty good rifs in that cover. Definitely putting that on my repeat playlist.
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #2425 on: June 14, 2019, 01:21:53 PM

New Baroness album, Gold & Grey released yesterday.  Cover art is fantastic as always, as is the album.

Baroness - Tourniquet

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #2426 on: June 18, 2019, 01:57:21 PM

Also Baroness, live at the K! Pit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DF8qC-Xlay8
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #2427 on: June 18, 2019, 02:49:53 PM

Damn what a cool set. I think there was at least a song from each album. I must have missed them on tour, looks like they're only coming as far west as Nebraska.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #2428 on: July 06, 2019, 12:45:10 AM

Pelican has a newish album out that is damn, damn good. Same band, same idea. New album is crunchy and darker toned.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #2429 on: July 06, 2019, 09:50:08 AM

Excellent, I love the Pelican and they had room to get darker.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #2430 on: July 12, 2019, 09:18:13 AM

I've been digging this one, the drummer is on point. Vocals weak like most stoner bands, but some decent grooves.

Superfat - Guadal
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #2431 on: July 15, 2019, 03:15:29 PM

Pelican has a newish album out that is damn, damn good. Same band, same idea. New album is crunchy and darker toned.

Will check it out, but man I feel they have been making the same album a decade plus and have not paid any attention to them or Russian Circles in a decade or so. 

Torche has a new album out than I am digging

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #2432 on: August 02, 2019, 09:49:08 AM

OMFG

I hope this comes to the US and close enough I can attend. Unexpected bucket list entry! Though I hope Kimi is back by then.

NEVER BREAK THE OATH
Mercyful Fate will be playing an unspecified number of concerts throughout Europe during the summer of 2020, including Copenhell.

It will be the “9” lineup, featuring:

Hank Shermann - Guitar

King Diamond - Vocals

Bjarne T Holm - Drums

Mike Wead - Guitar

with Joey Vera on the bass while Timi Hansen is away.

We asked Joey Vera (Armored Saint, Fates Warning) to fill in because he has a very unique style and sound playing with his fingers, much like that of Timi Hansen. This is very important, since the set list will only consist of songs from the very first “mini LP”, the “Melissa” album, and the “Don’t Break The Oath” album, plus some brand new songs written specifically in that very same style.

This will very much be Mercyful Fate as we were in the very beginning, except for a brand new major stage production.

See you at the Ruined Bridge.

Stay Heavy

Mercyful Fate

Also a bit weird that Michael Denner isn't in the lineup, since he's been jamming old Fate stuff with Shermann on YT the last couple years. And I'd take the heresy of having Larocque with Shermann, because I love Andy's stuff so much (Abigail is so epic).
Stewie
Terracotta Army

Reply #2433 on: August 07, 2019, 12:07:53 PM

Not sure if anyone cares or not but Tool released a new song today for the 1st time in 13 years.
Its on all the streaming services and of course youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7DfQMPmJRI

Professional Forum Lurker.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #2434 on: August 07, 2019, 01:18:20 PM

I was happy to find that Tool has finally brought their entire catalog to Spotify.

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #2435 on: August 07, 2019, 05:22:44 PM

Same. I own everything already (and more than what is on Spotify) so it is just nice to have it in one place.

I didn't like the live stuff they were doing from this new album but this new track is intriguing. I tend to dislike live shows and prefer albums anyways.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #2436 on: August 08, 2019, 07:11:43 AM

It's pretty clear from the 3 songs I've heard of the new Tool album, it is not going to be easily approachable or digestible. It's going to take a lot of listens.

Stewie
Terracotta Army

Reply #2437 on: August 08, 2019, 07:36:33 AM

After giving the new song a ton of listens and being a pretty big tool fan my take is that it is good, but Just more Tool. Nothing new.

I was hoping that after 13 years we would see something a bit different. That said, I do like it and I will listen to it as often as I listen to their other stuff.

I was reading the toolband subreddit and looking at some of the comments on youtube and holy shit some people need to dial it back a bit. People talking about crying when they got to listen to it. Treating it like its a life changing moment etc. Again, its a good song but would have fit right in on Lateralus.

Professional Forum Lurker.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #2438 on: August 08, 2019, 07:38:06 AM

The new tool is probably not a big deal  why so serious?

I was kind of bummed about 10k Days, as Lateralus was just so amazing. I'm glad they took the time with the new one, I think it's paying off.

As with most Tool, it takes some time to digest and internalize...I initially didn't care for Fear Inoculum, but I gave it a listen with headphones last night and holy shit. Holy. Shit.
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #2439 on: August 08, 2019, 05:01:55 PM

After giving the new song a ton of listens and being a pretty big tool fan my take is that it is good, but Just more Tool. Nothing new.

I was hoping that after 13 years we would see something a bit different. That said, I do like it and I will listen to it as often as I listen to their other stuff.

I was reading the toolband subreddit and looking at some of the comments on youtube and holy shit some people need to dial it back a bit. People talking about crying when they got to listen to it. Treating it like its a life changing moment etc. Again, its a good song but would have fit right in on Lateralus.
This is exactly how I felt. Sure, I like Tool and all and the new song is good. It's just... more Tool? Like it could have been recorded 10-15 years ago. I expect *some* musical growth after such a long hiatus, it's not like they've been churning out the same album for 40 years every 12-18 months (ala Motörhead). It's still good, just... as I said, I just expected more.

And holy shit do the fans out there need to turn it down on the worship. I went to a concert of theirs a few years back and this guy who couldn't have been more than 16-17 acted like he was going to have an orgasm every time they played a different song, it was almost an "Ed Sullivan presents the Beatles" moment for this kid. He was going on and on about how "they're gods among men" and "we mere mortals aren't worthy to share their air" (direct quotes). I wanted to say "settle down Beavis..." but figured I'd let him have his moment. And I did get into a bookfaces slapfest a few weeks ago by daring to suggest that it wasn't particularly thrilling or great and all of the nerds jumped me over it...
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #2440 on: August 08, 2019, 09:21:44 PM

I won't go so far to say the riffs sound full on recycled, but they do sound familiar, I suppose.  My initial opinion after the first listen was that it wouldn't have sounded out of place on Lateralus.  After subsequent listens, and having listened to Lateralus a bit, I think it stands on it's own a bit more than had I previously thought.  As for it being more of the same from Tool, I figure it's just one song, but if the album ends up being Lateralus II, I don't really have a problem with that. 

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #2441 on: August 09, 2019, 06:45:42 AM

I went to a concert of theirs a few years back and this guy who couldn't have been more than 16-17 acted like he was going to have an orgasm every time they played a different song, it was almost an "Ed Sullivan presents the Beatles" moment for this kid.
Aw, come on, man. Kid's having fun. Haven't you ever been to a Rush show? My fiancee got a little freaked out when they went into 2112 and everyone lost their shit, collectively.

Hell, I remember seeing Metallica open for Ozzy in 1986 or 7 and the kid I was with was giving me a hard time for headbanging the hell out of it. Kept trying to 'calm me down'. Hey, fuck you man, motherfucking Cliff Burton is ripping Orion about 20 feet away, there is no calm.

I will admit when something like 46&2 comes on I lose it, happily. It's fun to get immersed in the music and show like that.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #2442 on: August 09, 2019, 08:10:55 AM

It doesn't sound very different from their last album but then... more Tool is almost never a bad thing. It won't have the same impact on me that hearing Sober did that first time but that's getting old, innit?

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #2443 on: August 09, 2019, 09:11:22 AM

I'm keeping an open mind about it and I only listened to the new track once. I hate when I ruin an album by listening to a single track a bunch, then it becomes a drag when listening to the album whole.

Schism was the first song released on Lateralus and really ended up being one of my least favorite on that album after the dust settled. Maybe this is the same thing; there will be lots more tracks and something else may be better. 
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #2444 on: August 09, 2019, 09:21:50 AM

I saw an article today saying 7 tracks totalling 85 minutes.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #2445 on: August 09, 2019, 09:55:47 AM

I'm keeping an open mind about it and I only listened to the new track once. I hate when I ruin an album by listening to a single track a bunch, then it becomes a drag when listening to the album whole.

Schism was the first song released on Lateralus and really ended up being one of my least favorite on that album after the dust settled. Maybe this is the same thing; there will be lots more tracks and something else may be better. 
Good idea. I can't stand Sober, I honestly really dislike that song now.

I once sat in on an open mic and called out 'any tool song....except sober.' The guys started playing sober, I walked off stage. Fuck that song.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #2446 on: August 09, 2019, 03:07:14 PM

Is it because you over listened to it?  Always liked that one.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #2447 on: August 09, 2019, 03:30:32 PM

Smashing Pumpkins Siamese Dream is the worst case of that I’ve experienced. It was an amazing album at release but the radio played about four songs over and over and over... it just ruined the album entirely. I can’t listen to any of it now. Most of what they did after that was lost in the machine of what happened to that album.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #2448 on: August 09, 2019, 09:13:35 PM

MTV overplaying videos in the early-to-mid '90's killed a LOT of good bands for me. I was into Smashing Pumpkins when I heard Gish, thought it was pretty brilliant. Siamese Dream and that fucking song "Today" totally killed that band for me, and it's only now that I can stand to listen to any of their music. They literally killed Nirvana by overexposing Cobain so much he killed himself.

I still love Sober though, as well as that entire album.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #2449 on: August 30, 2019, 07:16:22 AM

Moar new tool https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9D2R69gVyZ0

edited to add: somehow I forgot this was today. Thanks to the Amazon megabeast for the value add for Music!

Welp, I know what I'll be listening to for a while now.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 07:24:39 AM by Sky »
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 74 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Music thread  
Jump to: