Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:04:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Music thread 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 74 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Music thread  (Read 815202 times)
Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #2310 on: October 31, 2017, 07:23:43 AM

I like frontwomen in metal, so Sharptooth's new Album scratches an itch there

https://youtu.be/yV9aZ02Cpn0

Freedom is the raid target. -tazelbain
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #2311 on: October 31, 2017, 07:40:55 AM

Thanks to Deadspin, I've discovered Sweden's Truckfighters. Good heavy tone fuzzed stoner rock.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #2312 on: October 31, 2017, 09:55:48 AM

The leads are so bad in that.

edit: to add content. Here's the mighty Earthless live: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sicDBhLQo4U

Now that's how you kick out leads.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 09:57:24 AM by Sky »
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #2313 on: November 02, 2017, 05:35:08 PM

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2314 on: November 17, 2017, 04:51:48 AM

The more I hear of Lindsey Sterling’s work the more I start to think she’s a bit of a hack whose popularity is due to being a cute young female with a gimmick.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #2315 on: November 17, 2017, 05:14:41 AM

The more I hear of Lindsey Sterling’s work the more I start to think she’s a bit of a hack whose popularity is due to being a cute young female with a gimmick.

I never saw her as anything more than that.

But it doesn't mean some of her stuff isn't nice to listen to on occasion.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #2316 on: November 17, 2017, 07:07:02 AM

I had to Google who the fuck you were talking about because I am old and have no children.

My life was not substantially improved by this action.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #2317 on: November 17, 2017, 08:09:11 AM

The more I hear of [insert a slew of generic pop artists]’s work the more I start to think she’s a bit of a hack whose popularity is due to being a cute young female with a gimmick.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #2318 on: November 17, 2017, 10:33:55 AM

I never saw her as anything more than that.

But it doesn't mean some of her stuff isn't nice to listen to on occasion.
Her violin playing is just alright. I prefer Taylor Davis' playing but Taylor's videos aren't nearly as elaborate as Lindsey's.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 10:35:38 AM by Trippy »
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #2319 on: November 17, 2017, 11:12:30 AM

I'm all about the Anne Akkiko Meyers since seeing her with the symphony here. She's fierce.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #2320 on: November 20, 2017, 02:28:48 PM

Has anyone else heard of Jinjer? Ukranian uh, fusion jazz death metal thingabob with omfg female vocalist? Here's a taste that I liked.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #2321 on: November 20, 2017, 04:17:43 PM

The cookie monster vocals were not cool nor interesting.  The song itself had some really interesting parts combined with some generic stuff but I really liked the vocals when she wasn't looking for the cookies ;-) Seriously, not bad minus a good portion of the singing.  I'm a snob though...
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #2322 on: November 20, 2017, 04:24:47 PM

I'm normally pretty averse to cookie monster singing, but in her case it somehow doesn't get up my nose as much. It's probably to do with my impression that somehow she does it with an earnestness that's more convincing than the usual walrus with a hairball routine we hear from most cookie monster singers.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #2323 on: December 24, 2017, 02:40:33 PM

Since I've been just obsessed with the 2 new Mastodon discs this year, and seeing them play 2 epic tunes off Once More (Ember City and Chimes At Midnight) when I saw them live, I decided to give Once More and The Hunter another chance. Still not sure about the Hunter (though I dig Black Tongue, it's my ring tone), Once More is an epic disc.

Mastodon - Ember City
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #2324 on: January 01, 2018, 10:10:48 AM

Happy new year all. To start things off, here's one from Megaherz - Vorhang Auf

calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #2325 on: January 15, 2018, 02:50:12 PM

Link to my Google Drive, didn't find this on the internet so ripped old-school

Mogli - Earth

Good song, but maybe not advisable if sad or lonely.

edit: forgot the "not"

Edit2: Fixed link, it was non-public...sigh
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 02:54:28 PM by calapine »

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #2326 on: January 18, 2018, 12:28:28 PM

Not the usual in this thread - I liked it.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #2327 on: January 19, 2018, 06:58:20 AM

Don't know how I missed this tune, I love Myles' vocals but nothing from AB has really clicked for me until I heard this one. Epic and awesome.

Alter Bridge - Blackbird
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #2328 on: January 22, 2018, 08:51:25 AM

In today's 'Man, this makes me feel old' news, Slayer announced they're hanging it up. I've seen them a ton of times, it's always a good show.

https://www.guitarworld.com/artists/slayer-announce-farewell-tour
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #2329 on: January 22, 2018, 09:13:34 AM

I saw Ladysmith Black Mambazo last night. Amazing stuff, I had no idea they have been around since 1960. One of the guys there last night has been part since 1969 and his brother since 1974.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #2330 on: January 22, 2018, 09:16:12 AM

After Jeff Hanneman died, Gary Holt stepped in to replace him while also still being in Exodus. I'm not surprised Slayer decided to stop touring now, since I'm pretty sure Holt was probably getting burned the fuck out and they just didn't want to bring some rando in. They had a good run. I hope they still release albums but it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't.

Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #2331 on: January 22, 2018, 10:04:45 AM

I hope they still release albums but it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't.
They’re not going to in the near future from what I understand. Tom is tired and just wants to retire and spend time with his family (he’s apparently got young kids too) and his hearing is drastically impacted after years of playing loudly.  Kerry isn’t particularly interested in touring anymore either and has plenty of side gigs going on, with guest spots on other people’s albums being part of it. I’m torn as they were my first and favorite band going back to junor high and I saw them numerous times, including one of the last shows with Jeff before he got sick and it was always a fabulous experience. After Jeff stepped down and then died, plus the firing of Dave (again, for what appears to be pretty shitty reasons), I kind of fell away and stopped following too closely. The new album was good but it’s just not the same (I’m also not a 15 year old pissed off at the world anymore either). Probably best to hang it up, they’ve given interviews over the past few years about how they’re tired and don’t want to be a cliche/joke on stage in their 50s/60s. They’ve been together for 38 years now which is pretty impressive.

In related news Alex Lifeson of Rush also confirmed the other day that Rush won’t tour or record anymore and after 43 years is over. We all knew in 2015 with Neil retiring from touring it would happen but it’s finally official. Geddy and Alex still plan on doing things but not as Rush.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #2332 on: January 22, 2018, 11:27:36 AM

Ok now you are really depressing me. I knew Rush wasn't touring anymore but held out hope they'd be recording.

FUCK GETTING OLD.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #2333 on: January 22, 2018, 01:23:12 PM

So glad I got to see them when they were doing the Time Machine tour. My boxes got ticked.

However, I'd like it better if I could see that every year.

Honestly, I've turned down the last handful of options the old lady has suggested for shows. And I've bought tickets for the symphony and opera. I still catch a few pop things here and there, but for the most part I've a) seen them enough times, b) they don't tour much/close to me and c) they play shitty venues.

Especially c), there's a lot of cool stuff that comes through and plays at a dive bar an hour away. But fuck that shit, man.
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #2334 on: January 22, 2018, 06:00:35 PM

c) they play shitty venues.
This was my big gripe living in NorCal when all the bands were coming through. Drive 90 minutes each way to a shitty arena to hear the greatest hits with 65,000 other people for $125? Eh, I'll catch the DVD\live album and live it up at home. I'm bummed I missed Rush when they came through on the last tour there, but I didn't want to spend $125 nor did I want to drive to Mountain View and deal with all the traffic and crowd by myself... on a work night (they came on like a Tuesday). San Diego at least had interesting venues that WEREN'T the giant amphitheater down at the border. I also think I'm just too old and crotchety to get along with drunk\high and angsty dickheads at concerts anymore. I saw Tool recently and while it was a fabulous show, the people at the place were completely ass.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #2335 on: January 23, 2018, 09:09:21 AM

I'm glad I saw Rush in 1994 on the Counterparts tour. Even though I think that album was probably one of their weakest (though still, it's Rush so better than most), the show was fucking incredible, total bucket list tick off. However, I'm just not that big a fan of live music. It's not just the crowds, I just prefer to hear bands at their best in the studio. The only live albums I listen to are of Rush.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #2336 on: January 23, 2018, 11:44:59 AM

I love live music, I tend to buy a band's live album first. Maybe partly due to my history in music, I prefer bands that are good live and dislike bands that aren't.

Unfortunately the bands carrying the live improv shows in rock music are obnoxious 'jam bands' that don't understand that the reason the Dead and Allmans and Santana and cetera were all great live improv bands was they worked on top of a strong song structure. Also, they built musical solos rather than just wankering about aimlessly.

Which is why I love watching Dave Rawlings and Stephane Wrembel, simply amazing live shows with great tunes (at least Gillian's for Dave, his are weaker). And you can usually get a ticker for $35 bucks and sit in the first couple rows.
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #2337 on: January 24, 2018, 06:37:59 PM

well gonna plunk down cash to see Slayer on the farewell tour in Sacramento, CA.  Now to figure out how to convince the woman I am seeing (who pretty much only listens to hot country) that going to a Slayer show is something she would enjoy (I think she would have a blast).

Glad they are calling it

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #2338 on: January 25, 2018, 07:40:16 PM

My buddy sent me a text that said only "pack your panties", which I assume to mean he is buying us tickets to see Slayer. I think we'll see them in Vancouver, and Anthrax is playing that show, too.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #2339 on: March 15, 2018, 08:05:16 PM

Posited: Tommy James and the Shondells is a good, mostly overlooked band.

EDIT: UFO is also underappreciated.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 09:24:46 PM by Abagadro »

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #2340 on: March 16, 2018, 07:29:21 AM

EDIT: UFO is also underappreciated.

TROOF.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #2341 on: March 16, 2018, 09:01:37 AM

Schenker was good but Mogg was great.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #2342 on: April 19, 2018, 09:59:06 PM

Prince's original studio version of Nothing Compares 2 U released for first time!

https://youtu.be/cpGA0azFdCs

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #2343 on: May 07, 2018, 12:36:09 PM

saw Lissie at Harlow's with the GF last Friday in Sacramento.  She has a hell of a voice.  Maybe 60 people there which is a shame.  For me Lissie is one of those artists that should be 10x more well known than she is.  Show was over at 845... which just felt weird to have it over so soon.

The flipside to that strong female vocal LGBT popular artist I saw is:  SLAYERRRRR next sunday at cal expo in Sac.   Haven't cared about them in years but I will go for the final tour and scream my brains out!!!

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #2344 on: May 07, 2018, 08:35:41 PM

Meh, I'm skipping Slayer. I've seen them enough, at better times.

I wish I could find shows letting out before 9. Goddamned Ghost doesn't go ON until 9. Should be epic, tho.
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 74 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Music thread  
Jump to: