Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:52:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Music thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 74 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Music thread  (Read 819994 times)
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1575 on: June 05, 2013, 07:15:36 AM

Devo is pretty awesome.  It's even more awesome that they're from Akron. 
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1576 on: June 05, 2013, 07:17:43 AM

By 'he told me' do you mean 'the court ordered me' :)

I was bouncing around the tube checking some recommendations from That Metal Show and the full cut of Stained Class showed up. I still love this album so much, it doesn't get much mention compared to Victim of Changes or British Steel, but it was a really solid album. Even the weaker songs have a bridge that rocks or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdNHjFyzmR0
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #1577 on: June 05, 2013, 01:28:15 PM

I  Heart Heart Heart Devo!  They're so much fun live, too.  And those are planters on their heads, no?

Energy domes!

http://devo-obsesso.com/html/dome.html

http://www.swag-inc.com/shop/devo/devo-energy-dome-red.html

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1578 on: June 06, 2013, 07:18:29 AM

I don't really see a difference between Slkpknot costuming and a torch singer in a long, slinky dress.  

There is no difference. Like I said, all bands use a measure of theatrics, some are just better at it than others. The good ones get mimicked or inspire all its fans to conform. Music is entertainment after all. For some, an identity locked in time, and all that come after are just copying or silly.

Not sure how someone can point to a band who nearly copyrighted Red white and blue circles, British flags and this shit:

As not Silly costumes or theatrics. The world would suffer from frills for decades to come.

I mean:

awesome, for real
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 07:25:44 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #1579 on: June 06, 2013, 07:25:50 AM

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1580 on: June 06, 2013, 07:46:05 AM

I thought he'd thoroughly killed off NIN. Track sounds good.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1581 on: June 06, 2013, 07:56:27 AM

That was so awful I thought it was Daft Punk for a minute.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #1582 on: June 06, 2013, 08:00:28 AM

Awful is a bit strong, but I thought it was fairly boring.  The other track is really flat, too.  Then again, I haven't been impressed by much he's done since downward spiral. 
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #1583 on: June 06, 2013, 08:03:18 AM

I thought he'd thoroughly killed off NIN. Track sounds good.

He did, but apparently got energized at some point about a new album.

I am not entirely sure how I feel about the new track, yet. I listened to it off of my iPhone last night for the first time. Listening to a second time with a pair of circumaural headphones that make me feel a bit better about the production. There is a lot of this that feels a bit like an alternate universe album that exists somewhere between PHM and Downward Spiral.

Awful is a bit strong, but I thought it was fairly boring.  The other track is really flat, too.  Then again, I haven't been impressed by much he's done since downward spiral. 

True story, a LOT of NiN is fairly boring. Also, what other track?

beer geek.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1584 on: June 06, 2013, 08:12:41 AM

I liked The Fragile a lot, probably listened to that more than anything other than the Quake soundtrack by Reznor.

A lot of the electronic end of my taste in music is completely gone. I used to love painting to the Aphex Twin Ambient double disc set.

I also smoked a ton of pot.
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #1585 on: June 06, 2013, 08:16:35 AM

For me, Fragile was the last album that I enjoyed, but it was still a fraction of what I enjoyed about the earlier Halos. I went through many many many copies of  Broken, Fixed and PHM as a kid.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 08:31:13 AM by sickrubik »

beer geek.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1586 on: June 06, 2013, 09:20:58 AM

I really dug Year Zero but Ghosts is one I never listened to all the way through. The Slip was decent though not nearly as memorable as the earlier stuff. How to Destroy Angels feels like he's basically trying to build traditional NIN songs but without any real instrumentation you can hang on to. The arrangements are "traditional" but the instruments are all manufactured sounds as opposed to traditional instrumentation that's been electronically altered.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1587 on: June 06, 2013, 09:24:09 AM

The Fragile reminds me of Mechanical Animals, another follow-up to a massively successful album that kinda got less stellar reviews. And I think MA holds up really damned well after all this time. I think I need to add Speed of Pain to my acoustic setlist just to make people scratch their heads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pKyTfS45io

Downward Spiral, most of those tracks I liked better as later remix releases.
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #1588 on: June 06, 2013, 09:50:07 AM

The Fragile reminds me of Mechanical Animals, another follow-up to a massively successful album that kinda got less stellar reviews. And I think MA holds up really damned well after all this time. I think I need to add Speed of Pain to my acoustic setlist just to make people scratch their heads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pKyTfS45io

Downward Spiral, most of those tracks I liked better as later remix releases.

Actually, I may have listened to Further Down the Spiral more than Downward Spiral.

beer geek.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1589 on: June 06, 2013, 01:24:12 PM

You made me go look it up. Yes, that one and 'March of the Pigs'. I didn't even own a copy of Downward Spiral until years later.
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #1590 on: June 06, 2013, 01:37:31 PM

You made me go look it up. Yes, that one and 'March of the Pigs'. I didn't even own a copy of Downward Spiral until years later.

I was at a print industry convention in the Bay Area in 1995 when it came out and I bought some fancy tin packaging.

This one in fact http://www.discogs.com/viewimages?release=2532697

beer geek.
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #1591 on: June 06, 2013, 03:24:46 PM

Speaking about throw back music, the current trend of post-punk revival makes me quite happy. While there's a lot of crap out there, one bright shining light is Savages new LP, Silence Yourself. Phenomenal Stuff. It feels like early Siouxsie backed up by Joy Division.

http://open.spotify.com/album/0aMC5DDAF86GvYNPaivEKd

beer geek.
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #1592 on: June 06, 2013, 11:34:06 PM

new National album is super spiffy

http://grooveshark.com/#!/album/Trouble+Will+Find+Me/8868614

and that NIN song sounds like someone struggling to find a new sound... while keeping one foot firmly in what he has been doing for awhile.

*edit* looks like you will have to cut and paste my link, too late and too tipsy to try and outsmart the webz

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
Brofellos
Terracotta Army

Reply #1593 on: June 07, 2013, 08:01:33 AM

This is what I posted today in a music facebook group I'm in, figured you'd all approve as well:

So Rusite is one of the best producers out there. His 2012 BBC Essential Mix is regarded by many as a major turning point for modern electronic music, bringing a lot of unique sounds out of the underground and into the public eye.  More specifically, the interesting merger of hip-hop and electronic sensibilities.  (also he was the first person to put me on to Cashmere Cat, who is a master)

https://soundcloud.com/rustie/essential-mix-bbc-radio-1
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #1594 on: June 07, 2013, 10:11:35 PM

Did someone post something earlier about Daughter?  Newish-4AD group.  I found this KEXP clip today, thought I'd share.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=y79jZVdokuM
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1595 on: June 10, 2013, 11:54:32 AM

I'd like to see the full set of this. Metallica booked a set on the shit stage of Orion Fest under a fake name and played Kill Em All in its entirety.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krvcqoo-644
Wasted
Terracotta Army

Reply #1596 on: June 10, 2013, 02:36:08 PM

The Fragile reminds me of Mechanical Animals, another follow-up to a massively successful album that kinda got less stellar reviews. And I think MA holds up really damned well after all this time.

Thats pretty much how I feel too.  My favourite NIN and MM songs are both from their earlier albums but The Fragile and Mechanical Animals are both the albums I listen to the most as a whole.

I just listened to the new NIN song and I don't mind it, I think it will grow on me.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1597 on: June 10, 2013, 06:56:00 PM

Manson is a really talented dude, doesn't get a lot of respect due to the schtick. I had a friend who's a really good singer that turned me onto Portrait right after it came out. We saw Manson at a little club in the area, place was totally mobbed and it was so raw and energetic. The next time I saw him was in a hockey arena for Antichrist, such a dramatic change without losing what made the first album great (though I really dig Daisy as a guitarist). Think I still have part of the flag he wore in the show, we had a kid with (appropriately) a prosthetic arm cut it into ribbons to share.
Wasted
Terracotta Army

Reply #1598 on: June 10, 2013, 08:29:20 PM

About the time of the Smells like children EP I traveled interstate and saw him in a small club in Melbourne and yeah it was fantastic, Portrait is still a pretty fresh sounding album.  Him having the crowd all spit at him while he tries to catch it in his mouth was a bit  awesome, for real though.  That and how much he plays with his crotch.

When I next saw him at a festival during his tour for Mechanical Animals it was just good, I hate the quick sets at festivals and being swamped in an ocean of people.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1599 on: June 11, 2013, 10:06:59 AM

Manson is a really talented dude, doesn't get a lot of respect due to the schtick. I had a friend who's a really good singer that turned me onto Portrait right after it came out. We saw Manson at a little club in the area, place was totally mobbed and it was so raw and energetic. The next time I saw him was in a hockey arena for Antichrist, such a dramatic change without losing what made the first album great (though I really dig Daisy as a guitarist). Think I still have part of the flag he wore in the show, we had a kid with (appropriately) a prosthetic arm cut it into ribbons to share.

His Sweet Dreams remake is pretty decent. 
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #1600 on: June 12, 2013, 10:50:26 AM

Speaking of old fogies, new Sabbath album released yesterday. Sounds Sabbath-y. Good news for some, I guess.

Title track

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0W91FrTlYk

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1601 on: June 12, 2013, 11:32:17 AM

Spotifying it now. I like the "End of the Beginning" song.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1602 on: June 12, 2013, 01:05:06 PM

I have to say fuck Sabbath for this one. Cut Bill Ward some royalties, you cunts. Nobody's getting any younger and Bill still rocks on the kit.
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #1603 on: June 12, 2013, 02:19:40 PM

I have to say fuck Sabbath for this one. Cut Bill Ward some royalties, you cunts. Nobody's getting any younger and Bill still rocks on the kit.
I'm feeling the same way, only with more Ozzy dislike because I can't really stand him anymore.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1604 on: June 12, 2013, 02:26:37 PM

Their fights over money are not my problem. I wish Ward could have come along but I don't know exactly what happened and there's too much he said, he said for me to give enough of a shit to care.

The music is pretty good, and reminds me how good a bass player Geezer Butler really is.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1605 on: June 12, 2013, 09:40:16 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fTPS9rHrLk

Anyway, yeah. Geezer is absolutely the most influential bassist and musician on my playing. I can hear some of him in almost everything I play. Followed pretty closely by Cliff Burton.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1606 on: June 17, 2013, 09:40:56 AM

K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #1607 on: June 17, 2013, 10:44:57 AM

Yea, Zetor's stuff wasn't half bad.

For some reason I'm quite particular to Eyedea & Abilities at the moment.

I like them, too.  On the same lines (and even shared members), there's THIS which I gravitate towards a bit more.

I'm kind of getting into this sort of strange hip hop.

I like it, it reminds me a lot of Aesop Rock

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #1608 on: June 17, 2013, 10:55:39 AM

Also, I've had a listen to Yeezus and it's equal parts  ACK! and  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

I don't think I like it, but at the same time the way he makes it work is really pretty impressive. It's really dark, you'd find it hard to see the guy who made The College Dropout making this.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Brofellos
Terracotta Army

Reply #1609 on: June 17, 2013, 12:09:29 PM

Dunno if any of you are into hardcore/metalcore but I just found out that No Bragging Rights made an album last year and it owns.
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 74 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Music thread  
Jump to: