Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:52:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Music thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 74 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Music thread  (Read 815224 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1435 on: March 28, 2013, 08:33:19 AM

That video made me respect Corey Taylor a helluva lot more than I used to.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1436 on: March 28, 2013, 09:23:44 AM

Manowar catches a lot of flak, but they have some truly epic stuff. And they still kick out the jams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPi_kD70OYA

We listened to their first few albums and it influenced several power metal songs we wrote.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #1437 on: March 28, 2013, 09:40:07 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KtBPyL7yVI

Some good stuff later in the interview about how Slipknot influenced cookie monster and why they're not quite in that category (which I agree with).

Hmm, watched the whole thing and entirely missed the cookie monster discussion. Do you mean where he talks about current metal lacking melody?

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1438 on: March 28, 2013, 11:22:25 AM

Yeah. He didn't mention it by name.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #1439 on: March 28, 2013, 01:38:42 PM

Manowar catches a lot of flak, but they have some truly epic stuff. And they still kick out the jams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPi_kD70OYA

We listened to their first few albums and it influenced several power metal songs we wrote.

I actually saw them in maybe 95 or 96 when they were going for Guiness' "Loudest Band in the World" record.  I think they had 40yds of speakers in a tiny club.  In fact, it was the same club where Dimebag was killed 8 years later. 

Manowar was awesomely fun live.  They dragged some 10yr old kid on stage and told the story of how this kid used the power of Manowar to defeat the bullies at his school.  Gave the kid a t-shirt and everything.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #1440 on: March 28, 2013, 02:07:04 PM

I actually took it a bit differently than that. Its not JUST the cookie monster vocals, its the whole art of song writing. You can still rely on 'cookie monster' vocals, like, for example Cradle of Filth, yet still write some very good songs.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1441 on: March 28, 2013, 02:56:17 PM

Good songs except the shit excuse for vocals you mean. Cory can sing. But let's not do this again.  why so serious?

Ok, I listened to it. Her vocals when she sings is decent. I thought the song sucked, though.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 02:57:54 PM by Sky »
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1442 on: March 29, 2013, 07:15:05 AM

One of my Faves off a more recent album.

Cradle Of Filth - The Death of Love

and a classic

Cradle Of Filth - Her Ghost In The Fog
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 07:19:45 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #1443 on: April 04, 2013, 11:55:45 PM

I actually took it a bit differently than that. Its not JUST the cookie monster vocals, its the whole art of song writing. You can still rely on 'cookie monster' vocals, like, for example Cradle of Filth, yet still write some very good songs.

Hate to be like this, but Cradle of Filth is not an example of cookie monster, that is a black metal shriek.  Textbook cookie monster would be Cannibal Corpse

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1444 on: April 05, 2013, 06:46:16 AM

So leaving off the angry elfs for a while.

While I've been obsessed with Manouche and Roma, I'm now getting into some Fado after seeing Mariza on Jools.

Now that's what I consider a singer :)
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #1445 on: April 05, 2013, 09:18:37 AM

Very nice. It sounds like it has some of its roots in Flamenco style performances.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1446 on: April 05, 2013, 09:56:35 AM

One of the things I loved about seeing Stephane Wrembel in a college setting a couple years ago was that he went even more in-depth than usual about the roots of gypsy music. Flamenco is basically the spanish variant, Fado the Portuguese, Roma the Romanian, Manouche the French, etc.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1447 on: April 10, 2013, 10:13:45 AM

Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #1448 on: April 13, 2013, 04:56:08 PM

I feel dirty and I would never admit it to anyone I see on a daily basis, but I have found myself loving Dan Balan's (was in O-zone) music.

It is pop fluff, and I think part of what I like about it is that I have no idea what he is saying so I can pretend it is some pretty deep stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGbOa65jOm0

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1449 on: April 14, 2013, 08:20:09 AM

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #1450 on: April 14, 2013, 11:57:37 AM

Chi Cheng died.  I'm sad.   Heartbreak

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1451 on: April 15, 2013, 06:40:04 AM

Way too heavy on the chorus repetition, but that's pop for you. I do like the song and vocals but my old lady would tell you it's because tits.

Right now the cd changer in the truck is holding:

Stephane Wrembel - Origins
Kruno Spisic - Gypsy Jazz Guitar
Black Sabbath - Live Evil
Gillian Welch - The Harrow and the Harvest
Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings - Dap Dippin'
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1452 on: April 15, 2013, 08:45:34 AM

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #1453 on: April 15, 2013, 10:37:15 AM

I really liked her tiara.  I wish I could wear a tiara.  I just don't have the face for it.

Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #1454 on: April 15, 2013, 11:01:14 AM

What kind of face do you need for a tiara? Would schild be able to sport one with decorum and grace?

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #1455 on: April 17, 2013, 09:19:37 AM

He would look good because he would wear it at a jaunty angle. 

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1456 on: April 18, 2013, 08:17:29 PM

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #1457 on: April 19, 2013, 01:15:03 AM

This has to go somewhere.

The new Daft Punk single is out today and it fucking rocks like nothing rocked in a long while. Nile Rodgers and Pharrell are in it. Linked video is just the teaser and OMG more than enough to melt me. I burned the replay button.

MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #1458 on: April 19, 2013, 08:06:27 AM

This has to go somewhere.

The new Daft Punk single is out today and it fucking rocks like nothing rocked in a long while. Nile Rodgers and Pharrell are in it. Linked video is just the teaser and OMG more than enough to melt me. I burned the replay button.

Radio edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxp0PFoIdmU

I haven't been this excited for an album since the last LCD Soundsystem.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1459 on: April 19, 2013, 10:31:45 AM

Speaking of new tunes, I'm digging the new AiC Stone.

Ghost, that The Specials show is pretty cool. Have you checked out any of The Slackers?

What, did someone ask for Les Claypool playing Spirit of the Radio with a cellist and xylophones? Bizarre. I'm a big fan of both artists...but this is weird. Les should stick to his own thing.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 10:48:10 AM by Sky »
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1460 on: April 19, 2013, 10:58:01 AM

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1461 on: April 19, 2013, 11:14:16 AM

What, did someone ask for Les Claypool playing Spirit of the Radio with a cellist and xylophones? Bizarre. I'm a big fan of both artists...but this is weird.

What did I just watch? The sound guy for that clip needs to be slapped around a bit. All the levels were off and it sounded like shit. His voice on the spoken parts was nice and loud and clear. The instruments sounded like they were in the next state.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #1462 on: April 20, 2013, 02:57:20 PM

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1463 on: April 22, 2013, 10:22:38 AM

It's rather shocking how bad Phil Collins is.   Ohhhhh, I see.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1464 on: April 25, 2013, 11:10:53 AM

Wow, the new Megadeth track sucks.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1465 on: April 25, 2013, 12:03:27 PM

Megadeth has been hit or miss for the last decade really. I've found that about half the songs on the albums are good and half dive off into some daft kind of WTF Neo-liberal new world order conspiracy asshole Mother Jones shit.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1466 on: April 25, 2013, 12:32:04 PM

I've never been a huge Megadeth fan.  Slayer was much more my speed. 
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1467 on: April 25, 2013, 01:13:39 PM

Megadeth at their best is one of the best metal bands ever. But yeah, they're all over the place and I only own the first couple albums. Then again, I only have the first few Slayer albums too, but I think their output has been more consistent (judging from the stuff I've seen live).
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1468 on: April 25, 2013, 01:27:07 PM

When they aren't being dicks to each other, Slayer is consistently awesome. They are similar to Motorhead in that you know what you're going to get with the albums, there's not usually a lot of VARIETY per se, but what they do is executed so well it's just great listening.

Megadeth, I don't think Dave can even be accused of doing anything new, hard or innovative. It's mostly just either boring or puzzling.

Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #1469 on: April 25, 2013, 04:40:18 PM

That song is... ok... but all I can think of is Night Stalker by AC\DC and some middle of the road "hard rock" songs whose names don't come to mind right now.  I'll admit I stopped listening to Megadeth after Cryptic Writings (and its 2 good songs) so maybe I'm not the best judge.  They sure deliver the goods live on the old material - saw them play Rust In Peace start to finish a few years back and it was amazing how well they sounded.

Definitely not going to rush out and buy it.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 74 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Music thread  
Jump to: