Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:55:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Music thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 74 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Music thread  (Read 815778 times)
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #1260 on: August 16, 2012, 09:43:28 AM

I have noticed the unprogginess of Slayer.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #1261 on: August 16, 2012, 04:02:48 PM

I fucking hate Yes. I just needed to put that out there.

EDIT: I confess I totally was into Pink Floyd for a while, though, although I seem to have mostly gotten over it for some reason.

God Save the Horn Players
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1262 on: August 16, 2012, 05:44:21 PM

Wish You Were Here was my ticket to free weed whenever hippies were around. I'd just start kicking it out on the acoustic they would inevitably have lying around and get them all to sing along.

If they had an electric, well, playing the lead for Shine On was pretty much keys to the kingdom.

I also knew Roundabout on the bass, though I didn't care for the band much otherwise. That bass line was badass.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1263 on: August 16, 2012, 06:51:17 PM

Yeah, Pink Floyd is another band that everyone else seems to love that I pretty much cannot stand.  Wish You Were Here and Comfortably Numb make me want to strangle cats.

Ah, good old Slayer.  I used to love South of Heaven and the Decade of Aggression live album spent a lot of time in my CD player back in the day.  I haven't listened to anything fm then in probably 15 years though, at this point.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1264 on: August 16, 2012, 06:53:47 PM

Yeah, Pink Floyd is another band that everyone else seems to love that I pretty much cannot stand.  Wish You Were Here and Comfortably Numb make me want to strangle cats.

You really do have no soul whatsoever.

Ah, good old Slayer.  I used to love South of Heaven and the Decade of Aggression live album spent a lot of time in my CD player back in the day.  I haven't listened to anything fm then in probably 15 years though, at this point.

They haven't changed much. World Painted Blood could fit very easily in that same time period. What's amazing to me is that IT STILL SOUNDS GOOD. They've become like Motorhead (whose latest album is awesome BTW). You know exactly what you're going to get and you still love it.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1265 on: August 16, 2012, 07:06:29 PM

My musical tastes have changed significantly since then.  I used to listen to a lot of really, really hard shit (and I don't really consider Slayer all that hard).  Social Distortion or the Clash are about as "metal" as I get anymore. 

Never was much into Motörhead, for some reason.  In fact, I don't know if I've even heard one of their songs.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #1266 on: August 16, 2012, 10:15:07 PM

Wish You Were Here was my ticket to free weed whenever hippies were around. I'd just start kicking it out on the acoustic they would inevitably have lying around and get them all to sing along.

If they had an electric, well, playing the lead for Shine On was pretty much keys to the kingdom.

I also knew Roundabout on the bass, though I didn't care for the band much otherwise. That bass line was badass.

Roundabout also has the greatest keyboard solo in all of prog rock, suck on that Keith Emerson.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #1267 on: August 16, 2012, 10:22:11 PM

Wish You Were Here and Comfortably Numb make me want to strangle cats.

Those are both songs of theirs I still really love. :P

If I never hear Another Brick in the Wall again, though, it will be too soon.

God Save the Horn Players
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #1268 on: August 16, 2012, 10:25:58 PM

My musical tastes have changed significantly since then.  I used to listen to a lot of really, really hard shit (and I don't really consider Slayer all that hard).  Social Distortion or the Clash are about as "metal" as I get anymore.  

Never was much into Motörhead, for some reason.  In fact, I don't know if I've even heard one of their songs.

Motorhead is one of those bands really worth checking out, if you don't like em, fine. But at least give a few of their songs a try:

No Voices In The Sky    
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4koh06RlpLI

1916 -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZBeFLt84GY

Overkill (according to some metal drummers this is the song that launched a thousand double bass drum kits) -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlecTBevmzc

Ace of Spades: If this song doesn't get your blood pumping at least a little bit, I don't know what can be done for you:  -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYO4zLY-Nag

Whorehouse Blues (acoustic baby, acoustic)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJ7Voy9YK1I&feature=relmfu

*edit* hmm some funky formatting issues /shrug
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 10:29:32 PM by Fraeg »

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1269 on: August 16, 2012, 11:28:34 PM

A lot of things seem to be prog nowadays. 'Progressive metal' seems to refer to everything in metal that uses more than 5 chords (and usually a lack of cookie monster vocals, though not always), I have no idea what the 'progressive' is in 'progressive house', for instance... and there's stuff like progressive bluegrass and progressive hip-hop. Wut?

I like me some Ayreon, but I'm not sure what genre THAT is anymore.  awesome, for real

e: also, Motörhead is the bestest music to play while killing things in games. Or driving in Budapest during rush hour, same thing.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 11:33:15 PM by Zetor »

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #1270 on: August 16, 2012, 11:30:18 PM

I don't believe he never heard Ace of Spades.  I think he must have just forgot who did it.  

I mostly stopped listening to most progressive rock when they switched from lighters to phones.  It just didn't sound the same.

Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #1271 on: August 17, 2012, 05:42:28 AM

Whorehouse Blues (acoustic baby, acoustic)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJ7Voy9YK1I&feature=relmfu
Watching them play this live with Lemmy smoking a cigarette in between verses is awesome.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1272 on: August 17, 2012, 06:48:04 AM

I don't listed to a whole lot of metal any more, since they went and shot most of the guys who could sing. But the Mayhem Fest was a hell of a lot of fun, even the young bands with the silly pterodactyl vocals - the music was just great.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1273 on: August 19, 2012, 06:56:22 PM

I have no idea what the 'progressive' is in 'progressive house', for instance...

Progressive house is progressing towards trance but not there yet. :p

No, I am not really joking. Stylistically, that is pretty much where most of it is at.

Though the bar has moved a bit I am sure. It has been almost a decade since I was really into the scene and the lines have invariably shifted a bit since then.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #1274 on: August 19, 2012, 09:20:45 PM

Progressive House has been around for a while now, though the meaning of 'progressive' has altered somewhat over the years. Basically, it alludes to experimentation within the classical boundaries of house music in the same sense that progressive rock was about incorporating elements of classical music and free jazz intrumentation and time signatures etc. Because House is effectively locked in at 4/4, time signature switches would stop it from being House, so Progressive in conjunction with House usually leads to longer cuts which have a good deal of dancefloor development time and do often incorporate unlikely instrumentation. Mostly, progressive house is about building atmosphere.

Deadmau5 is definitely one of the current big names in pushing out prog house:

Strobe: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84TYi3FOMlU

HR 8938 Cephei: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dujQnSAFInQ

Aural Psynapse: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3l5N2pabiME

Now you have all been suitably chastised with bloops and bleeps, feel free to go back to discussing Rush or whatever  why so serious?

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1275 on: August 19, 2012, 09:24:59 PM

I personally prefer the bloops and bleeps, even though I do like Rush. 
Minvaren
Terracotta Army

Reply #1276 on: August 20, 2012, 06:32:06 PM

Thanks to all for the heads-up on the awesome Iron Maiden tour.  Houston was the last night of it, and both they and Coheed and Cambria rocked the house.

...and there were nearly a dozen lighters visible during the intro to "Fear of the Dark," so it's not just me that's Get off my lawn!.

"There are many things of which a wise man might wish to remain ignorant." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1277 on: August 20, 2012, 07:33:45 PM

Rock Out
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #1278 on: August 21, 2012, 02:27:29 AM

I always wondered how kids today lit their cigarettes with their phones.  Is there an app?

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1279 on: August 21, 2012, 04:45:25 AM

I always wondered how kids today lit their cigarettes with their phones.  Is there an app?

E-cigarettes.

Everything's digital. Even nicotine.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1280 on: August 28, 2012, 10:26:52 AM

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1281 on: August 28, 2012, 10:56:29 AM

That's not your typical bill of fare, MBW.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1282 on: August 28, 2012, 10:58:53 AM

What? I love me some FOTC, I have all the albums!

My stupid songs collection is equal to my metal, with occasional overlaps.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #1283 on: August 29, 2012, 02:22:55 AM

I love them, too.  I think they're right behind Cradle of Filth on my fun list.  Seriously, though, that was one show I absolutely never missed. 

Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #1284 on: August 29, 2012, 02:36:57 AM

They're amazing, one of those comedy/parody based bands who transcend the joke by actually being really good. I was worried for a while as they got really burned out doing the TV show, they found the second series total torture to write as they'd had years to come up with the material they used in the first (I first heard Business Time like 3 years before it) and suddenly had to work way outside their comfort zone. And yet they managed to come up with Sugar Lumps, which is easily one of the best things they've ever done. Utter magic.

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1285 on: August 29, 2012, 05:28:13 AM

I like a couple of their songs okay, but I don't sit around listening to them. 
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #1286 on: August 29, 2012, 06:35:16 AM

I don't own any of their music, but I do have the series.  I just adore them and love their songs in the context of the tv series.  Having said that, I would absolutely go see them live.  Just like Gwar.  I don't actually own any thing they've produced, but I almost never missed a chance to see them live.  I got them booked at a club that the company I worked for owned years and years ago.  They were angry at me for a bit and I very nearly almost thought they were going to make me clean up the mess!   awesome, for real

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1287 on: August 29, 2012, 07:14:32 AM

I sing Beautiful Girl for my fiancee all the time.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #1288 on: August 29, 2012, 08:31:39 AM

Aww... you're so fucking cute when you're adorable!

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1289 on: August 30, 2012, 09:14:56 AM

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1290 on: September 11, 2012, 12:40:40 PM

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1291 on: September 18, 2012, 07:49:37 AM

http://youtu.be/oyVJsg0XIIk

Really cool song, with awesome Visuals. Guy reminds me of some cross between bowie and Peter Gabriel.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1292 on: September 18, 2012, 08:09:07 AM

The video is awesome.  I'm not sure about the song.  My wife loves "Somebody That I used to Know", but I've just had a hard time getting into it.  Maybe he will grow on me. 
cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #1293 on: September 18, 2012, 09:35:08 AM

It's funny, Message in a Bottle came on the radio a few days ago and I asked my girlfriend who she thought it was.  She replied she didn't know, to which I replied it was Gotye.

Then I realized she believed me.  Had to tell her it was The Police.

Gotye is definitely a Sting/Gabriel cross to me.

f13 Street Cred of the week:
I can't promise anything other than trauma and tragedy. -- schild
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1294 on: September 18, 2012, 09:49:11 AM

You clearly need to break up with her.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 74 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The Music thread  
Jump to: